This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Luciano Barbera Preview Fall 2006

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Luciano Barbera Preview Fall 2006

So I go to Barbera today for a preview and see Michal Sestak (above) who heads up the showroom in New York. In my day I was pretty good in the showroom but I have nothing on Michal. You don't feel like Michal is ever "selling" you, his secret is how he involves you in the sale. I'm not really sample size but when he hands me a doubleface cashmere sportcoat he says in his Italianish accent "try on the jacket, enjoy the moment". When he talks about the most expensive item in the collection, a cashmere overcoat, he says you buy it "no shame, no regrets". Damn, why couldn't I think of those things to say during an appointment. The best I could ever come up with was,,,"it goes nice with jeans".

Comments on "Luciano Barbera Preview Fall 2006"

 

Blogger MrWynn said ... (8:45 PM) : 

A request of sorts, if you have any more images I'd love to see them. I am having a bit of a Barbera obsession these days. I think it is such a shame that they aren't more represented here in the US...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:56 PM) : 

I like the coat in the top pick.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (9:12 PM) : 

I do have some more photos but I'm waiting for Michal to give me some of his elegant phrases to describe the items. I'm sure they will go up during the rest of the week.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:03 PM) : 

Michal Sestak is such a handsome guy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:29 PM) : 

I LOVE THIS BLOG!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:18 PM) : 

i am sorry guys but do you really like these stuff?
is it me or i have some difficulty to get excited about these cloths.
i used to like barbera but these jackets look very boring to me

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (6:33 AM) : 

Barbera might not be as visual as say Etro but the fabrics are incredible. The bottom jacket is cashmere double-face, I tried it on and it feels like your wearing a cardigan. The only thing holding Barbera back from being huge in the US is unexciting marketing. Luciano Barbera the person is sooo cool and seems like such a character, they need to build on his personality more.

 

Blogger MrWynn said ... (12:20 PM) : 

Part of the problem with Barbera is how it is bought. The line is so often put together to highlight the "old man"/country gent look, which doesn't thrill me. However when it is bought to highlight the modern elements it just can't be beat.

Very similar to Kiton and Borrelli clothing. Kiton at Saks is nothing like Kiton at Scott Hill.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (1:02 PM) : 

ok , now you are scaring me b/c i was going to write about the exact same think last night but I ran out of time.

Barbera in the showroom is so much better than what I see in most stores. Barbera really needs a (or a few) stores in the US to show how it should be done.

 

Blogger MrWynn said ... (1:23 PM) : 

Ha! It is too true though. I have often wondered, given all the capitol and access the Barbera family has why they haven't established a US retail operation. I'm around, all they have to do is call and I'm on the team :-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:38 PM) : 

enjoy it while it last's they will be out of business before september.... unless loro piana buys the label and infuses it with some cash..... you heard it here first!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:45 PM) : 

Hi sartorialist!

Am curious if a pean such as myself can get an appointment at the Barbera showroom? I would love to get my fiance a gift...

Love your blog!

_valery

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:57 AM) : 

I tried on some Barbera recently. I am used to Oxxford. Is Barbera generally tighter? Where should the middle button on a three button jacket fit? Also, where should the bottom of the jacket fit. It is a little different than I am used to - but wonderful fabric. I am thinking of several purchases.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:47 AM) : 

i'm a young designer. sites like this help me a lot.
Krista McQueen

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting