This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On The Street........Uptown Sartorialist

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

On The Street........Uptown Sartorialist

Ok, now I get it
Uptown - cool old guys in suits
Downtown - cool young guys in suits

Comments on "On The Street........Uptown Sartorialist"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:26 PM) : 

ridiculously large lapels. not sure how i feel about that.

 

Blogger FishrCutB8 said ... (10:24 AM) : 

I disagree. It's about the attitude, and this guy looks comfortable and confident. It looks right on him because it feels right to him.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:47 AM) : 

Just the other day I was wishing I'd saved my old dual-vent 2-button suits from the 1980's, but now I realize they would still look outdated due to wide lapels and bell-bottom trousers.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:49 AM) : 

Wow. Not only the lapels, but the trousers look wide legged too. This looks like a Paul Stuart suit circa 1982...

 

Blogger Mike Paget said ... (11:01 AM) : 

I've been grabbing every decently made suit from the vintage bin I can find, and I have to say, contrary to the TB line, I quite like large lapels as long as they are notched. It can add good structure to the chest without using padding, plus they hold their shape much better then smaller lapels over decades.
I like the low break on the pants.
Love the colour in the fedora.
That fellow right there is going to have his pick of the litter at the senior's home.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:05 PM) : 

there is a man who really knows how to dress...

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (1:31 PM) : 

Not to correct anyone but I think the "circa 1982" comment of 10:49am is actually your subconscious recognizing the hat with wide hatband and light colored suit combo from the Duran Duran video "Hungry Like The Wolf" which was ,in fact, a hit in 1982 - or so I'm told, I was only 4 in 1982, (not really)

 

Blogger Mike Paget said ... (1:36 PM) : 

Bell bottom trousers?
He has clean legs, I can't see his crotch underneath his jacket, but the rise doesn't look baggy. The break is low. I'm suprised to hear all the criticism.

A good dual vent two button suit from the 80's looks fine if it fits.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:57 PM) : 

I think he looks like a million bucks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:44 PM) : 

I am dating myself here but that suit has to be from the 70's, back when Ralph was selling incredibly wide ties which also required incredibly wide lapels and collars. It's a good reminder that for long term classic style you may want to avoid purchasing anything too extreme in its cut and go for the right proportions that your body needs.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:48 PM) : 

Please PLEASE let the hat come back as a mainstay of men's fashion. One never realizes, until their hair is gone, how cold one's head gets, nor how bonkable.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:57 PM) : 

the jacket has too loose a front (you can see it stands away a bit)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:27 PM) : 

I can't see the hat very well because of the dark window behind him. You should have moved a bit when you took the photo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:13 PM) : 

Yes, it's Hungry Like the Wolf. Meets the Mafia Don.

- AthenaNY

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:34 PM) : 

this man looks happy and snappy. what could be more important that that?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:17 PM) : 

Maybe the lapels are a little big, but the attitude carries it without hesitation.

As for hats, I'll start wearing one when they make one big enough for my enormous melon.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:36 PM) : 

Wow, the color scheme is amazing. I think he looks very dapper, the suit looks slightly dated, but in a classic way, not very extreme as far as late 'seventies suits go. The most important point here is that he pulls it off. The pants are definitely not bellbottoms. My dad got married in the late seventies (I guess I'm dating myself too... but in a different way.) The suit he wore was a dated suit. Huge lapels, tight in the waist and the pants were very flared in the leg, and as for the fit in the crotch, well let's just say you could pretty much see his religion. This guy really doesn't come close to that. He looks good, more men need to wear hats and bring flowers for their lady friends. I also really like his brown shoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:53 AM) : 

i can't believe people are being so picky about this look! the lapels are too wide, the front is too loose, the pants are wide-legged... really? i'm a woman, and i don't know much about men's suits, but i do know that this guy looks HOT! so suave, so sophisticated. if he were to give me those flowers i would just swoon. yes, it's not a "current" look - that much i can tell - but who cares? the dude has got IT, the IT that everyone wants. ooh baby.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:05 PM) : 

This suit is probably from the 70's, but the point is is that this man looks great in it.
He's got spirit and an upbeat attitude and is just a groovy and gallant now as he was back in the day!

 

Blogger Katie said ... (11:13 PM) : 

Aw, this warms my heart.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting