This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On The Street.....Westside, New York

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Sunday, May 21, 2006

On The Street.....Westside, New York


So what would we call this style? It is not American or Italian or even modern Jil Sander or Dior-ish, I'm leaning towards a Retro French late 50's thing - I think it is the shape of the coat that is giving me that vibe

Comments on "On The Street.....Westside, New York"

 

Blogger ninaberries said ... (4:52 PM) : 

It's 1960s CIA.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:10 PM) : 

Yes, the shape of the coat plus the narrow trousers with no break plus the shoes plus the sunglasses. Tres Godard Alphaville.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:26 PM) : 

men in black

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:50 PM) : 

But for the hair (which is more Marcello Mastroianni) the clothes would be perfect for a Jean-Luc Godard movie from the early 60s. I wore much the same type of thing for much of the early 80s in a homage to Nouvelle Vague cinema that all my friends and acquaintances seemed to interpret as my becoming a Mod revivalist.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:43 PM) : 

I certainly see the French thing.

Without thinking too much about it though, I would have described it as early 60's American. But I don't know what IS American, truthfully.

But I would look to you to inform me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:50 PM) : 

Secret Service?
Retro-narrow tie, tapered trou, +.
Good fit on coat, +.
Boots +, but inelegant shape, -.
No shortaage black and white outfits in Manhattan, -.
Trendy shades, ?.
Good hair, +.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:02 PM) : 

Very French new wave. All he needs now is a female companion who looks like Anna Karina.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:09 PM) : 

Reminds me of the guy from Fellini's 8 1/2.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:21 PM) : 

He's a Reservoir Dog. Let's call him "Mr. Green."

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:34 PM) : 

jazz-hipster mixed with a little matrix bad guy man in black thing

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:44 PM) : 

I second Alen Delon.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:45 PM) : 

David Lynch enthusiast

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:39 PM) : 

Berlin, 1997. The slightly boxy coat with the slim to tight trousers and boxy looking shoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:23 PM) : 

Don't forget the thin 1960s francophile tie. I bet underneat that coat he has a one-button suit and he smokes Gitanes.

 

Blogger Elijah James said ... (10:33 PM) : 

love it.... the hair does it for me, plus old testament CIA = sexy

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:27 PM) : 

He looks really cool. I like the slimness of his trousers as well as the thin tie. All the above comments are pretty spot on about the look he is referencing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:36 PM) : 

I second Otto, especially the black and white thing... don't get me wrong, it could be good, but I feel the CIA vibe too great with this gent. As I reminisce, I think it looked better in the films. The context of a '60's film has to count, right? How does he compare? I mean, is he yet another guy in black and white in manhattan or is he looking to be in a 60's film? If I saw him today, I would not say "interesting". I feel he's undercover by being overexposed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:41 PM) : 

Another vote for the Lemmy Caution caucus, maybe a smidge of Beau Brummell. Dig the 'pipes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:19 AM) : 

Jim Jarmusch with better hair.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:15 AM) : 

this guy has got to be an architect. i could swear i saw him at a review at school a few weeks ago... ;-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:44 AM) : 

Karl Lagerfeld was the first thought that reached my head too!
He looks elegant!

 

Blogger Claudio Moro said ... (6:01 AM) : 

Alain Delon or a CIA-Agent from the 60's.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:24 AM) : 

X men or Matrix boss. whatever it is it's intentional.

 

Blogger Gina said ... (11:27 AM) : 

It feels very "Man Bites Dog".

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:25 PM) : 

mastroianni

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:10 PM) : 

Where's his earpiece? Looks as if he should be running alongside the presidential limo. He's rockin'(and I'm likin')the pants.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:31 PM) : 

He's Such a fan of Mr. Lagerfield

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:04 AM) : 

Did anyone mention "Charade" yet? That was my first thought. Followed by a second though that leaned towards "Breakfast at Tiffany's."

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:18 AM) : 

I have never seen an outfit/look depend so much on a pair of sunglasses. Take them off and everything changes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:33 PM) : 

Honestly I think his head is throwing everyone off. I'll agree that the face/hair/sunglasses all give off a Fellini-era M. Mastroianni look (not Delon though as Delon was a tan trench with moustache and longer hair...)

But the outfit is definitely more of a '99 Prada look. There's something about the drape of the coat that reminds me of their "techno" fabrics. Look here: http://www.firstview.com/MENspring99/PRADA/S002.html

Not to say that Prada didn't just take a '60s aesthetic and give it a modern, Matrixy surface, but to me this looks like it came straight out of 1999.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:40 PM) : 

Karl Lagerfeld, Berlin, 1990, and has a rockin' friend called Klaus Nomi but won't readily admit to it.

I say we all find this guy and ask for his autograph.

-AthenaNY

 

Blogger Her Henna said ... (1:05 PM) : 

"Marcello! Come here!"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:24 PM) : 

I love his coat. Where could somebody find one like this ?

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting