This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

What A Week!

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Saturday, September 16, 2006

What A Week!

What a week!
I hope you enjoyed the photos here and on Style.com - I loved that image of Lauren Hutton at Calvin Klein.
Working with only available light can be a challenge but the rewards can be so great.
I was disappointed I wasn't able to write more but I had to shoot all day, edit, color correct etc and load by by around midnight so by the time I had a chance to write I was exhausted. I fell asleep at my computer twice!

Besides most of the outfits were so well-executed that I didn't feel I could add much more.
In retrospect I feel they were a little too perfect - safe almost. I kept waiting for that one look that would really surprise me. With a more international audience for the European shows I think the mix of styles will be more dramatic in Milan and Paris plus I hope to get some good stuff my two days in London.

Anyway I know that the time difference while I'm in Europe will help give me that little extra time I need to completely mangle my thoughts in only a way I can do!

The highlight of the week for me was talking to Bruce Weber briefly before the Ralph show. He is really my only photographic influence. I saw sat behind Peter Lindbergh at the Donna show - that was cool.


By the way - my show-down with Anderson Cooper never happened.
I guess he was off doing something to save the world and with all the rain I didn't wear my suit anyway.
I really have to stop writing about myself. You cannot imagine how many people at the shows asked if I was wearing the Ralph or Marc stuff I wrote about. It was very rewarding though when they said I was the best-dressed photographer they had ever seen - I didn't remind them about Astaire in Funny Face!

Comments on "What A Week!"

 

Blogger Matthew DeBord said ... (11:50 AM) : 

Don't you think the lack of surprise is a function of your eye being calibrated--or perhaps re-claibrated, from your days in the business--to looks that are more street or improvisational?

 

Blogger Athena said ... (12:01 PM) : 

First time commentator, long time lurker (those days when there were less than 10 comments each post I think), but I'm really happy how the blog and your career through it has flourished. I love the new camera; the photos at Style.com are wonderful. I can't wait to see you abroad again, and in London too. I love the Funny Face reference as that movie is the epitome of 1950s style. Not to mention the connection to the late, great Richard Avedon. Will comment more often now. Hope you get some sleep.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:23 PM) : 

Great coverage. Really enjoyed my daily fix of what people wear and taking a few ideas for my own..Looking forward to your European coverage. Keep up the good work

 

Blogger MARIA H said ... (2:52 PM) : 

I think writing about your self is not bad at all. Thanks for the insights and your very personal touches in words and images. And I hope you keep us also informed in how you interact with the world around you with your sense of fashion.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:06 PM) : 

Just "luved" your NYFW pics. In many cases, what is going on off the runway is way more interesting than the shows. Great job as ever.

Xo

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:59 PM) : 

Love the headpiece on Mr. Weber. I The new camera adds a softness and depth to your photos. I too, enjoy both your writing, and your photos!

 

Blogger Carlene said ... (10:30 PM) : 

I really loved all your off-runway coverage; the photos were great, actually much of it more interesting than the runway coverage; can't wait for the European shows! Thanks so much!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:46 PM) : 

thank you, sart! you have done such an amazing job - falling asleep at your computer twice? wow, you work too hard!! and we are the lucky ones, who get to savor your beautiful, beautiful photographs. bravo! you really deserve it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:55 AM) : 

Please KEEP writing about yourself!! I have only recently stumbled upon your blog and it has now become a part of my daily routine (wake up, brush teeth, check theSartorialist.com, etc.) I love your photos and your insights give them the most perfect, personal touch.....you make my day brighter!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:04 AM) : 

after my dog, olive, had back surgery i took her to a place in chelsea where you could book time in an indoor pool for your pet to swim or, as in our case, work with a therapist trained in canine rehab. one day as we had just finished up, we heard a great commotion and in charged the next appointment -- bruce weber's five glorious golden retrievers, who proceeded without a moment's hesitation to plunge headlong into the water. the impact nearly emptied the pool, and everyone within 10 feet of the edge was drenched by the doggy induced tsunami, but it was so outrageous, unexpected, and just plain funny that no one minded at all.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:35 PM) : 

Sart~ As a third year law student, I live for your wonderfully composed pictures of life in NYC. I greedily drink them in, starved for life beyond my laptop screen and law books. Please keep writing about your everyday life as that is what makes your blog special and stand out... And help keep some of us awake through class!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:36 AM) : 

I was also disappointed at the shows. For me, there were no real statements. But I suppose that fashion week is getting a bit artifical: the summer collections reflect the trends of the moment (for fashionistas, at least) and not what you're going to wear in a year. With the ZAras, H&M and Topshops of this world that bring the look of the moment to the stores in a matter of weeks, does it still make sense to show a collection 6 months ion advance?
I have to admit that i'm also already bored with the wole cocoon shape and balienciaga influence (no matter how great he was).
All this to say that your pictures the FW crowd were much more interesting than the ones on the catwalk.

congratulations!
A
PS:i saw, the vogue profile on Giovanna bataglia, and have to admit that i prefered her grey proenza schouler sofistication look to the mini skirt addiction
PPS. The umbrella series was great

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:31 AM) : 

I love your photo of Haidee, she remains one of my fave stylist of all time. Is she wearing Sandoval?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:43 AM) : 

When I look at the pics I wonder what you look like. Best wishes from Asia.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:37 AM) : 

My very favourite photographer BW, great shot of him amongst the 'madding'!!!!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting