This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On The Street.... Comme des Garçons, Chelsea

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, November 27, 2006

On The Street.... Comme des Garçons, Chelsea

I shot this young lady a few days after the "modern Hemingway" shot above - I thought she would make such a perfect companion to his look and maybe it could illustrate how a young lady might interpret that look.

I love the plaid shirt working back to the zip sweater and the overall slouchiness. I think this might be the first time I have been jealous of a girls outfit (not that there is anything wrong with that)

Comments on "On The Street.... Comme des Garçons, Chelsea"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:33 AM) : 

Im not feeling her style at all but she is unique in a way and I thought she was a he.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:18 AM) : 

My husband is all, "Call her and get my look back!"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:21 AM) : 

L'androgénique!

She's so hot, I had to quell thoughts of renouncing motherhood to run off with her. And swagger?! She's got it for days.

Photog wise, I think this is one of the more (most) striking pictures that I've seen you take; it's full of color, irony and has wonderful lighting. Bravo!

mltt

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:03 AM) : 

No pigeon toes for her! Great pose ...

 

Blogger Camille Acey said ... (11:28 AM) : 

Yo! This girl is HOT.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:38 AM) : 

Nice gamin attitude and clothes!
Love her pose and her hair, she look smart and fun!

Maybe by mentioning Comme des Garçons she will be forgiven of assuming her standing on gender ambiguity.

Maybe many don't even acknowledge the how gender is a common theme in many collections, so regognizing a label name is enough understanding into the aesthetic world to stay safe. This understanding - if is transcendent- might threaten the safety of personal biases. Who whants that?!

 

Blogger whyioughtta said ... (11:57 AM) : 

LOVE this. Her pose totally rocks her look, too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:03 PM) : 

Oh, I love the sweater & the shoes. Very slouchy and comfortable looking without being sloppy or messy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:04 PM) : 

Wow i Agree! Thats a great combo with the plaid and zip(knitwear)sweater.
I would love to own that sweater!
Btw, love the Seinfeld quote at the end :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:20 PM) : 

I love the shoes. I think they are Clark's Wallabees (however that is spelled).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:26 PM) : 

absolutely gorgeous! love the slouchyness :)

 

Blogger marie said ... (12:28 PM) : 

I am glad you told us this person is a female. Even with the purse, this girl looks more like a guy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:35 PM) : 

This is so, so good. Less eccentric and costumey than the other look, but so totally individual and relaxed. I love this

 

Blogger in defense of retail therapy said ... (1:04 PM) : 

love love love the jeans. hair too fab, and nice pose.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (1:28 PM) : 

She does look good. The short hair perfectly sets off an overall androgynous style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:55 PM) : 

just amazing! love the sweater, the shoes and lose jeans.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:49 PM) : 

wallabees! love her, love her bag, too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:02 PM) : 

genius

 

Blogger atticus_finch said ... (3:35 PM) : 

yeah don't see women in wallabees too often. She is great!

 

Blogger Terence said ... (3:35 PM) : 

Wow, someone I know! That's my cousin Cathy, a filmmaker in San Francisco. I actually have a photo of her in my photography portfolio.

terencepatrick.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:49 PM) : 

she has nice hair.

 

Blogger Fine Haberdashery said ... (4:33 PM) : 

kurt cobain meets yoko ono meets killer attitude! the confidence pulls it all together.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:13 PM) : 

Individually, all those things are dullsville; collectively, she's rocking some great style. Love her hair and stance, too. I'm digging my Wallabees back out of storage (again...)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:36 PM) : 

I know its about the outfit (which is great), but the hair totally makes it.

 

Blogger DK said ... (6:14 PM) : 

I'm jealous of how those jeans lay just right over the wallabees. Takes me back to '96....and '88...oh yeah, and 79....and......

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:17 PM) : 

Gosh, she looks like Jenny Shimizu's cousin. Remember Jenny? Former CK model and Angelina Jolie girlfriend?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:22 PM) : 

she looks cute, but let's be honest, if this look would be on a guy, nobody would bat an eyelid.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:45 PM) : 

Hey Sart,

Please, no reason to be jealous of her outfit; you could put this together quite easily.

The Salvation Army on 46th between 10th and 11th will provide similar sweaters and plaid flannels, some baggy jeans. A pair of Wallabees and you're there!

- JCH

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:55 PM) : 

Okay, I thoughtthis was a guy until I read Sart's comments, and I STILL think she looks like a guy (I think the hair is what keeps the illusion going most).

But hey, it's a cool look, so kudos to her for pulling it off.

I'm all for women dressing stylish and feminine (and sexy ... like that Korean acress a few posts ago) but I don't want anyone to have to look any particular way 24/7, so now we have a good example for female dressing down.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:53 PM) : 

Rafe, how funny, the first thing I thought was Jenny Shimizu. She was the coolest (probably still is). That girl really knew how to rock a tank top. Betcha this one does, too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:13 PM) : 

rafe...

i KNEW she reminded me of someone...thanks! it was driving me crazy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:36 PM) : 

Oh Wallabies. Down south, the style is equally popular for both sexes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:40 PM) : 

Is your title a coy joke on androgyny or the sweater's label? Or is she outside the store on 22nd?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:29 PM) : 

Her bag is Longchamp if anyone of you where interested

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:09 AM) : 

i want her outfit too! and im a dude!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:15 AM) : 

do you have to be an expecially tall girl to pull this one off?

i love it-but i can see myself (and my petite frame) getting swamped. :(

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:15 AM) : 

as a woman i say its super cool. but would a guy check her out at a bar?!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:13 PM) : 

She looks like a boy, an attractive boy though, but definitely like a boy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:57 AM) : 

I think she needs to trade outfits with the "Mixed Proportions" fellow.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:59 AM) : 

Hi, I have to ask you - did you add a little flash on her? Half- or one stop brighter than the background. It looks like she is everso slighlty highlighted.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (6:12 PM) : 

for Sara
I didn't do any flash but she was standing in the reflection of a building window (sometimes i luckout)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:46 PM) : 

she looks fantastic. and yes, i'm totally jealous of her outfit.

 

Blogger Maia said ... (4:14 AM) : 

In response to one of the earlier posts: what does having a guy check you out at a bar have to do with having style?

Love the outfit, and love the blog. Thanks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:02 AM) : 

Comme des Garcons! I'd possibly even go one further: Elle s'habille meilleur que les garcons! Nice one!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:24 PM) : 

I would DEFINATELY check her out at the bar. Reminds me of highschool in NYC circa mid 90's. Killen 'em...

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting