This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On The Street......The Details, Nolita

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, November 20, 2006

On The Street......The Details, Nolita

Griege, black, brown - it is often difficult to get those colors to work together well but this young lady does a great job
Vintage Ferragamo shoes. She said the main attraction to the shoes was that they were brown/black spectators.
I love the scarf detail - it is two scarves tied together making one large circle scarf
The secret to her scarf detail is that she buys several of the $5 street pashmina scarves. I guess when they are $5 you can affor to buy in bulk.

Comments on "On The Street......The Details, Nolita"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:30 AM) : 

Are those men's shoes? They are fantastic. Now I'm on a mission to find men's shoes like that.

 

Blogger 'Clavdia' said ... (9:35 AM) : 

I love this, one of my favoites for this autumn/winter season

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:37 AM) : 

OMG! I love her shoes! Men's brogues on a girl can be sexy, especially how she's styling it all together. Black and brown is such an unexpected and 'no-no' combination, even more reason to love it. I did the same combination for a boot for my fall collection and I have to say it's been a hit. Women love that they can wear it with both and not have to worry. I've always done it actually so I'm happy to see it popping up here in the USA. In Europe it's such a common combination, just like black & navy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:11 AM) : 

Great look, and I love the shoes! I can't understand why people think black and brown together is so wrong or difficult to do well. I think it looks good more often than not. Black and navy on the other hand...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:13 AM) : 

the "scarftorialist" strikes again.

 

Blogger hoi polloi said ... (10:16 AM) : 

Like the shoes, but I'm over the voluminous hipster scarves look

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:59 AM) : 

One really can't go wrong with spectator shoes. I do not like the (faded?) slims though.

mltt

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (11:08 AM) : 

I love the scarves - takes out the bulk of wrapping them endlessly around one's neck. She looks great!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:38 AM) : 

oh gosh, i've been searching high and low for shoes like that. i think i may just go raid my dad's closet when i go home for christmas.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:44 AM) : 

oooooooooooohhhhhhhhh..... I was outbidded for those shoes, the other day in ebay :((

she looks great!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:54 AM) : 

damn this girl can dress

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:59 AM) : 

this girl is super cute and it's always amazing when women wear men's dress shoes!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:17 PM) : 

hate to be a copycat but I think I will use her scarf idea...

 

Blogger whyioughtta said ... (1:09 PM) : 

Just enough street mixed with just enough chic.

Love the scarf idea. And her colour mix is really interesting.

Thanks for another great multi-photo post.

 

Blogger Laurence John said ... (1:22 PM) : 

i have a pair of shoes almost identical, but men's and made by cheaney from about 3 years ago (they don't seem to currently do that style).

 

Blogger marie said ... (1:37 PM) : 

I love all the pictures on this post! She has great style.

As for the scarves, it would be wierd to wear one where I live because it is too warm. Even now, it is still averaging 70F to 80F during the day.

At this rate, I will be able to eat my turkey outside this Thursday..wearing a bikini! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:53 PM) : 

AMAZING. The shoes, scarf, jeans, jacket...perfect.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:31 PM) : 

Ooh, love those shoes!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:59 PM) : 

I was looking at those shoes on ebay too! wrong size for me though! they are fantastic

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:06 PM) : 

I have cheap version of those shoes and I have to say, now I wish I'd bought the real thing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:27 PM) : 

Really nice shoes. From Salvatore. Bottega made similar ones last winter... my favorite. Been wearing black & brown leather and suede shoes for ages. The overall styling is great also.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:27 PM) : 

not many things are sexier than a woman who can make an article of men's wear her own

 

Blogger Linda said ... (4:05 PM) : 

my god, The Jacket!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:57 PM) : 

my three favorite color combinations are black and grey, black and blue, and black and brown -- actually, black and any neutral, including white -- and i've never understood why it is such a taboo. rafe is absolutely right about why women love black and brown together in accessories -- they are so versatile.

 

Blogger Q said ... (5:23 PM) : 

Dang, the girl looks good.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:38 PM) : 

I love the whole outfit...but why so much hate on brown and black combinations? I think they work very well together.

 

Blogger atticus_finch said ... (6:14 PM) : 

yeah she is well put together. Humble in her look as well.

 

Blogger KLynn said ... (6:25 PM) : 

I was just in NYC earlier this month. I paid $6 per pashmina up on Broadway near 73rd. And to think I could've saved a buck. ;)

There's a good chance I'll be moving to NYC after graduate school next year. I look forward to seeing many of these stylish strangers in person and I WILL be taking notes. Thanks yet again for your wonderful blog.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:45 PM) : 

SHe looks great. I miss New York.

 

Blogger 'signorina' said ... (7:04 PM) : 

Anatomy of a look!

I love the shoes - they look fabulous. Brown and black works, I think...regardless of what fashion says.

 

Blogger MARIA H said ... (7:08 PM) : 

My kin!
Like the contrast of tailored jacket with low budget pieces...the contrast is what makes the assemble contemporary and edgy. The oxfords are the incorporation of THE one masculine piece when dressing! Yeap, I have a similar sensibility when dressing.

 

Blogger ontheMARC said ... (7:20 PM) : 

genius. the entire thing. i would lie cheat and kill for those shoes.

 

Blogger ontheMARC said ... (7:20 PM) : 

genius. the entire thing. i would lie cheat and kill for those shoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:57 PM) : 

i love this style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:04 PM) : 

she looks fantastic. i'm in love

 

Blogger Hebden said ... (8:24 PM) : 

Love the gloves...the shoes...the coat...and the fact she looks so cute and happy!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:59 PM) : 

gorgeous...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:26 PM) : 

Wait a minute, is she wearing a SHORT SLEEVE wool coat? Brilliant!

 

Blogger The Vintagent said ... (11:38 PM) : 

Those Farragamos are currently available in the men's shoe dep't, no need to steal hers! I was just looking at them in the Farragamo store in SF on Saturday. They are a subdued version of the spectator style; very nice, especially on her!

 

Blogger The Vintagent said ... (11:41 PM) : 

You can buy those Farragamo shoes TODAY at their stores; I was just looking at them in SF on Saturday. Nice, subdued spectator style, and she rocks them. Yes, they're in the men's dep't.

 

Blogger Mira Siregar said ... (11:54 PM) : 

i love the jacket...it's perfect. do you have more details about it? [mira-jakarta]

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:18 AM) : 

Where is her coat from!?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:24 AM) : 

Does anyone recognize where her coat is from?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:52 AM) : 

Her Ferragamo shoes are perfect.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:31 AM) : 

i know this chick. her steez is totally on point. as is the fact that she doesnt even give a shit (or at least it doesnt look like it - in a good way).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:24 AM) : 

stunning! her brogue shoes are fantastic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:18 PM) : 

the coat is Opening Ceremony! they made those last year with wool specially designed by woolrich for them! they have canvas and fleece ones now.

 

Blogger la femme said ... (7:24 PM) : 

I love her!

I have never seen black, brown and grey come together so beautifully.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:06 AM) : 

onthemarc: Personally, I'd lie, cheat and (maybe not) kill for the girl. Not the shoes...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:31 PM) : 

ahhhhhhhh...

um. just how excited are we allowed to get about the shoes without breaching decency rules?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:46 PM) : 

that jacket is amazing- i searched and searched and found it's from opening ceremony in soho!
my favorite store in the whole world!
let's shop.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:27 PM) : 

the gloves are a huge part of this look....really on point

 

Blogger Elizabeth said ... (11:35 AM) : 

That's the be-all, end-all.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:04 PM) : 

We saw her last winter in this coat with a short dress and tights. Still looking fabulous!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:22 PM) : 

LOVE the opening ceremony coat. are those sunnies ray-ban cats?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:06 PM) : 

What size are these shoes? If 7-1/2 I will have to kill her and take them. I don't dig the scarves -- too hippie for me -- but the shoes cancel them out. Drool.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:28 PM) : 

asked her about the sunglasses and apparently they're vintage norma kamali, oh, that andrea longacre-white.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:05 PM) : 

extremely beautiful
ATWR

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:45 PM) : 

This is the kind of girl I automatically respect. Visually she is a woman...what I mean by this? Well dressed stylish, and above all fully dressed, and not only because it's cold out. I would imagine that during the Summer she wears raw denim Capri’s, paired down with stub heal shoes, shirred spaghetti string top, light Jewelry, and pulled back hair...you know the respectful girl.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:44 AM) : 

I haven't seen such inspiration for so long! The girl knows what style is

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:59 PM) : 

The gloves are the cherry on the sundae here. And you know she loves them. I think she has a strong independence and it shows in the accessories. Also she shows signs of great practicality, as in the flatness of the shoes and the warmth of the clothing. The scarves show us she's resourceful. Her clothing elegantly defines her boundaries without throwing them in your face. This look keeps people at just the right distance. It says I'll walk with the crowd but I gotta be me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:57 AM) : 

Adorable. I wonder what she does for a living. I wonder that about some of your subjects, but this one especially.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:02 PM) : 

she looks simply amazing. the colors, the details, the proportions, the layers.

 

Blogger - said ... (5:24 AM) : 

love the whole look!!!!!! i want those shoes...:P... the scarf was a great idea

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:29 PM) : 

this girl has mastered brown and black. my friends and i have always agreed black and brown are a, but she told us. AND the coat! satorialist, i want to know where she got that coat and where i can get one for myself.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:36 PM) : 

This girls understanding of texture and layering is perfect. I see so many "like" this when I'm downtown, but she pulls it perfectly.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:14 AM) : 

She is absolutely Fab! The look is completely flawless.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:00 PM) : 

Is she a model?

 

Blogger The Budget Babe said ... (11:31 PM) : 

dammit, i can't find a single flaw.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:02 PM) : 

i love love the coat, perhaps she has shortened it at the hem and sleeves herself? or at least i now have the idea to =) the colour palette works great! this is one of the most inspiring i've seen.

 

Blogger Louise said ... (8:08 PM) : 

This is the most similar to my look of all your post. Love the scarf idea. I like the gloves too.

 

Anonymous Clementine said ... (7:13 PM) : 

Very stylish.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting