This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

The Contest Winner

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The Contest Winner

So many great entries!

It was fascinating to read about such a diverse world of inspirations.
I was a little surprised (pleasantly) that so much inspiration came from the home or personal interaction.

I think these entries also said a lot about respect.
Our respect for others, for family and for those that care for themselves.

A lot of grandparents were mentioned and again I think that has a lot to do with love/respect and how love/respect influences our concept of what is beautiful.

For the winner I chose the entery below.
What really got me was this line " My grandfather’s work bench and tools, where he set the diamonds into the ring I wear every day now and taught me to love the hard, precise labour of making things sparkle..."

That line really speaks to me and captures what i love about the craft of fashion, couture and tailoring. For me fashion and style is not about "I'm better than you" or "look what I have " but about the craft of making something beautiful or graceful. I'm a complete sucker for that romantic vision of a artisan in some little dim lit room crafting a pair of shoes or a shirt or ,for that matter, in a darkroom working on the perfect print.

That line could also just as easily reflect what we do to present ourselves in the way we feel most expresses who we are.

"to love the hard, precise labour of making things sparkle..." perfect!




Even though I’m by long habit an observer rather than a joiner, I couldn't resist this question - any more than I can this blog! Here's a selection of some of the many images that have floated up since I’ve been musing on “What has most inspired your personal style?”

My grandmother’s cloche hat and fur-collared coat, which she wears in a photo from the roaring 20s when, appearances to the contrary, she was just a teenage kid from Montreal’s Saint Urbain Street...
Myrna Loy in the Thin Man movies, with her gowns for every hour and her wit for any situation ...
My grandfather’s work bench and tools, where he set the diamonds into the ring I wear every day now and taught me to love the hard, precise labour of making things sparkle...
My grandmother’s dresser drawers, where sweaters were swathed in tissue and nylons nestled in satin boxes...
My great aunt’s silk scarves, which she doled out to me one at a time on holidays and which I have somehow, between then and now, lost...
Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday, when she cut her long hair and rolled up the sleeves of her proper dress, and became herself...
My mother’s leather mini skirt, which was a glorious glazed mahogany, her multi-coloured Missoni blouse, which was a knock-off, and her appetite for all things lovely and lively, which was and still is her most fabulous accessory...
Jean Seberg’s t-shirt in Breathless, which said New York Herald Tribune and spelt new-world style in the old-world style capital...
My school friend Martha, who at 16 wore a Peruvian poncho as a skirt and looked soignée...
My father’s giant box of oil pastels, which at the age of three or four I often played with, arranging and rearranging the rods of colour until my fingers were muddy...

Comments on "The Contest Winner"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:09 PM) : 

excellent choice. evocative, poignant, heartfelt, and beautifully written. congratulations to the deserving winner!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:22 PM) : 

well deserved...I totally understand the point of view! so inspiring!! those words sound so perfect because when you mean something from your heart you can relate to this person and his real feelings and inspirations...
Congrats!

 

Blogger Lily said ... (8:32 PM) : 

that is a very nice quote...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:48 PM) : 

Sparkle. Nicely said.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:09 PM) : 

Good job winner. That was fun Sart. Thanks.

 

Blogger Butch said ... (9:11 PM) : 

Lovely and evocative. Many congratulations to the winner!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:48 PM) : 

Oh, so lovely -- congratulations to the winner. Excellent choice by our blog host and a beautiful explanation of the choice.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:09 AM) : 

It goes to show that it isn't only what you say but how you say it. A good writer, like a good sartorialist, must master the details for the sake of the whole. A fine choice, indeed.

 

Blogger whyioughtta said ... (4:59 AM) : 

Well deserved! I shed a little tear for those lost silk scarves...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:55 AM) : 

Not a comment on this particular post -- I just wanted to say Happy Holidays and thanks for the blog throughout the year. It's a real pleasure to check in on it; and it's excellent motivation to check the mirror, and fine-tune scarves and earrings, before leaving the house.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:10 AM) : 

To quote Sart, ..."That line could also just as easily reflect what we do to present ourselves in the way we feel most expresses who we are." This is what you see fashion as, and this is why I love your blog! It is not exclusive! Anybody can join in. Your respect for others and your love for life and the individual just shines out there in the blogosphere! This is why I have not stopped tuning in since the first time I stumbled upon it and read every single entry over the next two days, totally enthralled.

 

Blogger Regina said ... (7:25 AM) : 

Congratulations to the winner, that sent me to that little drop of poetry this person carries inside herself...

Beautiful.

As this post itself!

:)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:41 AM) : 

That´s a piece of superb fashion prose!
I agree with your insights.

Your blog is an oasis for people who love clothing and dressing as a way to express themselves, and not merely as a way to show their wealth.

Lately most fashion magazines are just disguised advertisements for impossibly expensive items.Some of those items and many of the trends magazines promote are just dumb and ugly...


Being elegant is not just spending money but knowing what to choose.

And above all, fashion should be a way to uplift our souls for a while, to make us dream of being better, preetier, wiser.
It´s sad to be surrounded by fashion created by a bunch of sad, sad, sad souls.

Your picks and pictures show us the possibity of the triumph of beauty and class over mass-marketing.

Have a great 2007!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:25 AM) : 

That was the one I liked the best too!! Congratulations!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:33 AM) : 

I love that the writer offered a series of vignettes. While a narrative tends to tie a collection of thoughts into an orderly package, a series of moments makes you think about each one, and wonder about them. And what nice moments they are! But for me the mystery of the list is something I admire in personal style, as presented on this site...I can never put my finger on what makes a look I like, and that is part of the fun!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:56 AM) : 

I, too loved reading all the stories.

Congratulations to the winner!

 

Blogger Nia said ... (11:59 AM) : 

This is beautiful--good choice! This is what I wanted to capture with my entry: the way so many things you see and hear become a part of your sense of style, until there is no one thing (or even no couple of things) that you can say is your inspiration.

Thanks so much for running this contest.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:13 PM) : 

Congratulations!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:11 PM) : 

fantastic

I can visualize everything ... BRAVO

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:35 PM) : 

I just have to say thanks for the generous comments on my entry! I was flabbergasted that it won, because I loved reading everyone’s entries - many, many fascinating and moving stories.

So I want to give my congrats to all who contributed, and to the Sartorialist for his vision in starting this blog and his talent in making it a daily treat. The care and flair of the photos, the subjects, and the discussions are what made the contest such a fun challenge. That so many Sart readers rose so eloquently to the challenge shows what a great thing he’s got going here.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:09 AM) : 

Congrats ajane! Your contribution was so thoughtful and heartfelt. It was almost like flipping through an old photo album and seeing glimpses of each phase of your life. Thank you!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:59 AM) : 

Great choice, Scott. Congratulations to all.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:00 PM) : 

Congrats to the winner and Happy Holidays to all out there in Sartorial Splenderland!!!!

 

Blogger la femme said ... (6:56 PM) : 

Myrna Loy in the Thin Man movies was a huge inspiration to me when I was a kid.

Beautiful piece.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:57 AM) : 

Beautiful quote, and very fitting especially during this holiday season

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:34 AM) : 

what a lovely quote! and congrats! i also wanted to say that i love this look. i like the subtlety of the bling used on the dress. it reminds me of some of the things i've gotten at sparkle plenty.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting