This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....Trench & Flats, Sodermalm, Stockholm

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, May 18, 2007

On the Street.....Trench & Flats, Sodermalm, Stockholm

She is one of the most sophisticated 15 year olds I have ever met.....actually I should say she looks like a very sophisticated young lady, I have no idea if she really is but to pull off that look she has to be basing it on some internal elegance .

Comments on "On the Street.....Trench & Flats, Sodermalm, Stockholm"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:16 AM) : 

hello!

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (11:32 AM) : 

American teenagers: take note!
Just beautiful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:43 AM) : 

There is no such thing as a sophisticated 15 year old.

 

Blogger Bobby D. said ... (11:56 AM) : 

She's wonderful--she knows how to wear a trenchcoat! and she doesn't look false in any way!
chic!

 

Blogger siongc said ... (12:00 PM) : 

No way, she is 15!? Really?? Good for her for believing in her own self and portraying her sense of style at that age.

Again, great to see youngsters taking pride in their appearance, rather than torn jeans, a faux vintage t-shirt and a beat up hoodie day in, day out.

 

Blogger onus1234 said ... (12:22 PM) : 

she's 15???? holy moly....

 

Blogger will anderson said ... (12:29 PM) : 

ummm. hmmm. very beautiful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:30 PM) : 

I totally agree with " i heart fashion". A lot of young americans dress in big baggy clothes, or just very shabby clothes from american eagle etc. and try hard to look effortless. But most times it just ends up looking gross (sorry). I cannot see why one wouldn't try one best to look great. And also very few dare to stand out. My sister is studying in Boston and has great style, everyday, really everyday, someone laughs at her, or points. Even middelaged women do this. She feels like she's walking around looking like Marylin Manson, when all she do is wear scinny jeans in different primary colors and other cool stuff recembeling a lot of the styles seen from Sart visited Stockholm.

Why is it like this?

 

Blogger Indulge in Fashion said ... (12:47 PM) : 

wow, very sophisticated look for a 15 year old, American teenagers need to pay more attention

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:53 PM) : 

when I was 15 I didnt looked half as good as she do!
really incredible!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:57 PM) : 

Watch out, Scarlett Johansson, Scandinavia has more to offer to Hollywood!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:15 PM) : 

ahh! so i am sitting in journalism class right now enjoying my not-daily-but-almost- perusal of the sartorialist and i realize i have worn not just this outfit, but also the one below of the off the shoulder grey loose top (although mine is black) with skinny jeans and black ballet flats


i feel as though my fashion sense has been validated.

PS i am an american (gasp) teenager

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (1:22 PM) : 

She has a great sense of style, and she is only 15!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:24 PM) : 

Just remember Lauren Bacall,totally breathtaking elegant without any girlish attitude with 24 years.

 

Blogger Opulent CerriLynn said ... (1:35 PM) : 

The post of anonymous at 12:30--makes me feel sad. It is not only in America ...It is a syndrome of Italian culture as well. I experience this everyday...Someone who chooses a different style or an unique style is looked at with eyes---I think Sart is in some really hot spots! Alas, overall...the state of Italy, is quite provincial.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:01 PM) : 

This girl is 15? Whoa. Great style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:21 PM) : 

Beautiful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:35 PM) : 

And also one of the most beautiful. I must visit Stockholm.

 

Blogger FeiraChic said ... (2:45 PM) : 

She looks really great. She's got to be tall though, to combine that trench with the flats...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:09 PM) : 

Yea when I was studying in Copenhagen all the highschool kids looked like young adults. You really couldn't tell the difference between them and the 20 year olds.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:38 PM) : 

I totally agree that american teenagers could learn something from the swedes, but also the men of america could learn something, for example my boyfriend and his friend were in orlando and went to a shopphing mall, he wear what he uses to wear a ordinary day in sweden, ah pair of tight black acne jeans and a filippa k t-shirt and ordinary shoes, when they were in one store a couple were there to, and then the guy said and pointed to them "people like them should no t be aloud, i hate people like that" and thought that they were gay !

if u wanna se more swedish fashion I think stureplan.se is a great site :)!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:50 PM) : 

Stockholm is the place to be... unquestionably *
Jamais vu autant de "fresh people" que lorsque j'y suis allée ! I wanna go back there ** !!

Kyss Sverige, I miss ya'

Marthe from france

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:22 PM) : 

15 yaers old!!!!What a beautiful girl!!!Internal elegance.That´s the point.

 

Blogger Stratos Bacalis said ... (6:39 PM) : 

She reminds me so much of Patsy Kensit in the late 80s - specifically the "I'm Not Scared" video clip. Perfect.

 

Blogger Kate Levis Williamson said ... (6:40 PM) : 

She looks great, no question, but I can tell you why more teenage girls don't dress like her.

1. They're not comfortable in their own bodies.
2. Even if they are confident in that regard, dressing like this pretty much assures that adult men will give you the eye and talk to you admiringly, which is creepy and awful if you are a teenage girl. Meanwhile, boys your own age who are not yet confident will shy away from you. I did, on rare occasion, dress like this when I was a teenager, and it was an all-day-long parade of uncomfortably blatant male attention. Those girls whose dress turns you off? That's protection from you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:47 PM) : 

aw man... she's gorgeous. and lovely she's got a sense of style at such a young age. i was friends with those girls in high school. chic, grown up, i thought (and still think, 15 years later) they were the coolest. that said, i'm glad i made tons of fashion mistakes as a teen. what else can i give my future children to laugh at?

 

Blogger Asi Mod said ... (6:48 PM) : 

Love it! She has the attitude to match the look. More teenagers should dress like her.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:32 PM) : 

gosh, most people that are older dont posses an iota of the style she displys so well there.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:03 PM) : 

She is wearing a coat with some flats. Lets not get too excited.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:04 PM) : 

She is quite elegant! I just turned 16, and sometimes I look that good (hopefully), but it is not something I have the energy for day in and day out. And anonymous 12:30, where does your sister study in Boston? I see amazingly dressed people all the time (as well as many, many not so amazing) in Boston and no one ever pointing and laughing. But then again I chill mostly in JP, where its almost a sin not to be dressed differently.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:10 PM) : 

Scott!
You have a great eye!

15, wow, I would love to meet her mom.
She must be a graceful, beautiful woman too! :-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:07 PM) : 

Nothing breeds unshakable confidence like the lifetime of compliments awarded to the pretty girl

 

Blogger groovergreen said ... (10:20 PM) : 

I'm trying to convince a 14-year-old friend to buy the trench and boots she's been eyeing this Australian autumn. She'll look good in them at 14, 24, 74 ... It's an elegant and practical look a girl can wear at any age, and this charming Swede is a piece of the evidence.

 

Blogger Blaise said ... (12:14 AM) : 

I wish I had her sophistication when I was 15..

 

Blogger Bel said ... (12:23 AM) : 

15??? No way! If only all 15 year olds dressed with such chicness rather than flashing various bits of flesh at every opportunity (thanks Paris, Britney et al for your influence). Well done to this young lady!

 

Blogger Miss Shades said ... (4:22 AM) : 

man, if only i was sophisticated. gah, she makes me feel so garish. :-D
xo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:16 AM) : 

Blanka, my dearest! She's s cute! Thank you Sart for taking pix of me and all of my friends!

 

Blogger Berkley Magazine said ... (6:23 AM) : 

You she girls dressed as sophisticated like her everywhere in Sweden. Every single high school is like a fashion show, especially in the inner cities.
Girls dress up like crazy as if they are going to a party or a dinner with Ann D. Swedish teenagers are far more materialistic than what the outside world think.
In Sweden the girl on the photo is just another fish in the sea.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:30 AM) : 

15 years old...hummm...she's very cute ...Glamour!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:10 AM) : 

Is that the M by Madonna trench from H&M?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:05 AM) : 

very nice.. but the shoes aren't flats as I can see, or..?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:42 AM) : 

it is because not everyone has a sense of living and style like yours. they dont have the same beliefs and are not used in such stuff, so when they come to the point of facing something you think is chic, elegant etc they dont know how to judge it, and because they are not used to it they'll act like that, even making fun of it. im 15 myself and for my age u can tell that my style is rather sophisticated. i'm not boasting or something, simply i come face to face with situations like that in school for example. i try not to dress too much in such occasions cause i know sb is gonna talk n gossip about it so im not trying to get any attention by my style & clothes. but i cant help but expressing myself in everyday living just by being a bit different from other teenagers.
the thing is that if your sister goes around like that in NY nobody will say anything, she will be hardly noticed. whereas, if she acts the same way in not such a metropolitan city [im from greece] beyond noticed, she'll get the looks, fingerpoints, silent gossiping , and im afraid you know the rest.

really great work Sartorialist, adding a bit of luxury, sophistication, and diffirent prospectives 0f everyday life :D


mir*

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:12 AM) : 

15 ?! Crazyness!

Really great outfit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:26 AM) : 

I don't see what's wrong with high school and college students wearing jeans and t-shirts. That's what I wore when I was a student, and if I saw a high-schooler now dressed the way that I dress, I would wonder why she was trying so hard to look like a 25-year old. That's not to say that young people can't have great style, but I'm not sure what's wrong with young kids dressing casually.

 

Blogger Nikki said ... (11:49 AM) : 

I love it!! But I've seen it before.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:59 AM) : 

15 going on 35.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (12:24 PM) : 

Wow - extremely stylish. Great photo too - the backgrounds really sets off that fabulous trench!

 

Blogger canne said ... (1:27 PM) : 

i agree, as a young american woman, i hate the way most americans dress. it is typically sloppy and thoughtless. while well-dressed americans can be found, they seem much more rare than in stockholm!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:23 PM) : 

i agree, this young lady keeps it simple and chic, but i must say that your photography- skills completes the shot. i would think that without the beautiful light , she would look like a teenager dressed up for a fancy party

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:11 PM) : 

One word: charisma.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:19 PM) : 

She's 15!!! I'm so intimidated!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:51 PM) : 

Really refreshing to see such style at a young age without looking too provocative. But I have to say that I often see some very fashionable teenagers in my town (suburban CT).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:10 PM) : 

don't generalize the youth of america! there are plenty of well-dressed young americans who make an effort to look put together every day. just check out american style blogs. every country has poorly dressed people who look like they don't care...not just america!

this girl should be an example to youth around the world.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:51 PM) : 

Isn't she actually wearing heels rather than flats?

 

Blogger RAINHA MAB said ... (1:45 AM) : 

Muito sexy e elegante!
O friozinho é uma delícia para a moda!

TRANSLATE: So sexie and cool! The little winter is delicious for fashion style! Sorry, my english not is good.

And... about Brasil, Sart??? What do you think about?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:19 AM) : 

Love love love her style! Her perfectly unstyled hair, her fresh complexion, her confident stance, and her alluring attitude are all much more polished than what most 15 year-olds would be able to pull off with such success. And I love that she further proves that a young woman need not be stick-thin to look stunning in clothes.

The tailoring of the trench is interesting - are those darts or pleats tucked into the waistline? Either way, this 'dressmaker' detail is a clever and attractive way to take the bulk out of a belted coat. And the gathering at the cuff just adds a bit more unique panache.

From the ankles up I give the young lady a perfect ten. The shoes could be better - they look a bit rundown and the mid-heel peeptoe style is not as fresh as what the rest of her look seems to require. Ballet flats, tall espadrilles, or even combat boots would look more modern and youthful to my eye.

Another great find, Sart! Easy to see why you were so smitten by Stockholm.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:01 AM) : 

Wow, is she really? I am turning 15 this year and I certainly don't look like that! I now feel totally inspired.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:08 AM) : 

Sophisticated, confident, and chic.

 

Blogger Angel said ... (4:50 AM) : 

Yeah i agree with u

 

Blogger Kaká Marinho said ... (8:29 AM) : 

She really looks amazing :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:52 AM) : 

Great outfit. I live in Stockholm, and believe me, she's in the fashion top for 15 year olds...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:34 AM) : 

American teenagers? She is swedish if a beg your pardon, Södermalm is a place in Stockholm - Swedens capital.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:19 PM) : 

You guys don't understand. I am a 17-year-old teenager and people think I am in college because I dress older than my age. I already stand out from everyone else from my school, and as much as I REALLY want to dress more sophisticated than I already do, I fear that people are going to give me weird looks. In American schools, it's pretty tough to dress older. Imagine walking into a class full of your typical 17-year-old classmates, and to find a "20-something-year-old woman" awkwardly blended in. Not to mention that that "woman" is your classmate as well, except that she looks way much older.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:04 PM) : 

What the hell is wrong with you ppl?

Why would you lay stupid comments such as "all teenagers should dress like this"? If all teenagers were to dress like that - you would probably not notice this ones individual style, would you? Your choice of style refelcts your culture/ backrgound/personality/vision etc. How weird would it not be if a +sized, very short tomboy (or eg. Avril Lavigne) was walking around like that? Your style must be adjusted to you and not the other way around.

I never lay comments but got sick by all the ignorance...fools!/sorry sart!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:43 PM) : 

i can't believe no one noticed - she isn't wearing flats. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:43 PM) : 

wow that girl is really beautiful!
and I can't belive that she's only 15!?

 

Blogger Stratos Bacalis said ... (7:25 PM) : 

Anonymous at 42 from Greece: I don't really think that you would get pointed fingers in Greece with that outfit even if you lived in a small town. I see lots of young girls dressed like that in Thessaloniki at least.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:37 PM) : 

I really like this! She is really pretty and her oufit is perfect!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:45 PM) : 

hmm, no doubt about it. she has really great style for a 15 year old. i'm so inspired.

 

Blogger Laura said ... (8:52 AM) : 

those aren't flats! those are kitten heels.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:18 PM) : 

I went to high school in the South. We wore dresses and skirts every day, and no, there was no school uniform, and it was a public not a private school. People wore heels to class. I think it depends on where in the U.S. you are. At my school, no one wanted to be thought of a slob. People tried their best to dress up.

On the other hand, the vibe was extremely conformist. Still, I wanted to make a point that I don't think there is really all that much difference between "Western" teenagers, at least not between Americanized Scandanavia (hate to say it--but pick up a teen magazine and there is English splashed all over it; they grew up watching the same
American cartoons as we did, as well) and the U.S.

In my visits to Denmark, Norway, and Sweden, I see so many teenage and 20 year old women wearing baggy Miss Sixty low rise jeans; t-shirts with Mickie Mouse on them; canvas bags; in other words, ultra casual, slouchy clothing. Things were different, sure, but not more sophisticated. In big city Italy and Paris, on the other hand, the teens actually are more sophisticated.

The other thing is, everyone in Scandinavia looked/dressed the same: different from the US, but the same as each other.

Let's not forget that H&M sells baggy t-shirts in just as large quantities as American Eagle. I love all three Scandanavian countries and I love the style, but its not the "wow I'm an American slob moment" one has in Milan.

 

Blogger emily.loves.bryan said ... (12:18 AM) : 

Adorable!! Wish I can wear something like that in my country without having people to stare at you, or complaining to my parents bcoz it 'maybe too short' for the community's liking :(

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:29 AM) : 

Yes, teenagers of the world.. take note! Although, I wore something very similar to this at fourteen. It's easy girls, a light summer trench paired with black opaques and some basic flats, and you're there. x

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:32 AM) : 

I really think that this should be teamed with flats as opposed to kitten heels.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:30 AM) : 

I like this look .
To add to the conversation about teenage fashion . I am a teenager myself. I am 15 and so far have I lived in Denmark, Sweden, America, Germany and now Holland because of my parents job. I believe that in every country the teenagers all dress the same in their own way. In Germany it is trend to be emo, in America they dress like the abercrombie and fitch models, Denmark it is to be as special and unique(very colorful) and Holland it is a style i cant describe. Trust me in every country the teenagers have their own style to follow but I think it is the most important thing to find your own style, knowing what will look great on you and you feel comfortable wearing. It is hard, especially for teenagers to not follow the group, have the strength and courage to develop your style. Because there will always be a certain amount of group pressure.

I like the shot!

Dutchgirl

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:40 PM) : 

i think that we can all learn a lot from this. very beautiful

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:56 PM) : 

I got that trench :) I'M A PROUD SWEDISH TEENAGER NOW :) yey!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:42 AM) : 

She is so elegant. Many are criticizing the way many American teenagers dress. I agree the majority of Americans are behind on fashion sense, but like many have pointed out...this girl is mature. There are mature 15 year olds, and there are 15 years old who haven't quite figured themselves out yet. Not all 15 years old have the resources (or resourcefulness) to garner such fashionable garments, and even so, may not have parents who would allow their daughters to look 35. That being said, everyone's priorities in life are different, and every kid is molded by his/her environment and individual desires. Not every kid aspires to be a fashionista.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:31 PM) : 

Wow, as a 15 year old myself I am inspired! I am a male much into streetwear but I find myself more and more attracted to this sort of sophisticated style. I'm going to try my best to combine the styles.

 

Anonymous Miranda said ... (8:23 PM) : 

she does look great no doubt about that... but it's not really that hard a look to pull off is it?! i mean... it's a trench coat, tights and flats... she's just naturally beautiful and seems to have a figure that clothes hang well on.
i'd be more interested in seeing what she's wearing under the trench coat or on another day of the week.

don't get me wrong - i am taking notes, but i see this look quite often!

 

Anonymous reina said ... (11:43 AM) : 

im 12 and i wonder how she looked when she was my age she just looks so mature

 

Blogger Jay said ... (2:41 PM) : 

The eyes...

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting