This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Pitti Uomo Tomorrow

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Pitti Uomo Tomorrow

Tomorrow Pitti Uomo starts, then on to Milan and Paris for mens collections.
The last two days have been the quiet before the storm so if everything goes well I should have my first post up tomorrow by 4pm and will start posting twice a day (morning & evening) until early July.

I read that Gianfranco Ferre died.
He was one of the designers I always wanted to shoot because he had such great personal style.
I hope his company is able to keep his name and work alive for a long time to come.

Comments on "Pitti Uomo Tomorrow"

 

Blogger Susana Rodrigues said ... (6:42 PM) : 

yes it sad :( but like you, I hope the company will be able to keep his name and work alive.

luv
x0x0
Su

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:17 PM) : 

my condolences to all who know Mr Ferre, but I have a slight bone to pick with you scott...

over at men.style.com you were quoted about vans canvas shoes saying "I've seen them in stores but not on people, and to me, that's the difference... The Converse resurrection was a more natural progression—this feels a little pushed and packaged." I've always thought you had a well balanced style sensibility but I think your new york roots are blinding you slightly here; vans have always been integral to west coast style since the 70's. While a marketing ploy like the hip hop song is distasteful, those shoes have had a notably long heritage as far as steakers are concerned. I'm a long time reader and understand you can only travel to so many places but I highly recommend you make it out to some of the more sartorially sensible parts of the west coast.

all aside, I'm expecting good things out of Pitti

 

Blogger Just an Observation said ... (10:45 PM) : 

Ferre was only 63 ...unbelievable....I happen too speak to someone recently who had met him once and said he was just as nice in person as he portrays himself.

I did not know that he was an architect before he became a womens and mens fashion designer.

I loved his men's style very much ...I could never describe why but it appealed to me tremendously...especially his overcoats and the the silhouettes of his suits were ...mmmmm good!

THX SAR!

p.s. i like the manneuien shot ...pretty cool ...completely unexepected ...definitely a good call on making the most of it with the toursim in full swing...which I imagine will remain through August.

 

Blogger Michael Andrew said ... (11:11 PM) : 

It was such a sad day after hearing about the death of Gianfranco Ferre as a young satorialist, I was only beginning to appreciate his major contributions to fashion, however his name will continue to live on through his memory, fashion house, and our pursuit to know about fashion and men's clothing.

I would also like to express my excitement of your postings of Pitti Uomo the styles that I have seen here continue to inspire and teach me about men's fashion. I greatly look forward to seeing all of the great ensembles the men of Italy have to offer.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:19 AM) : 

no way, rest in pease gianfranco!
besides from his use of fure, he was allways creative, and it was allways fun to see what he would do next

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:58 AM) : 

welcome to italy! benvenuto!
your photos are the coolest.
i always browse your blog searching for inspiration, and it never fails!
enjoy your staying here!
goditi l'italia!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:31 AM) : 

in my opinion he was the top in the way he worked seriously with fashion.

anyway, here in milan is casting time and the temperature in the streets is gettin always hotter

enjoy florece
JS

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:49 AM) : 

Scott-- RE:GF Ferre, the novelist Jonathan Carroll (a fan of your blog) posted this on his website yesterday. I thought you might like to see it.

Elzbieta

"The fashion designer Gianfranco Ferre died last night. Years ago I was thinking of writing a novel set in the world of fashion, so I arranged to do a series of interviews with Italian designers for the American edition of GQ magazine. Because I live in Europe, it was convenient for them to say go to Rome or Milan and talk to so and so, 1000 words asap. One of these designers was Ferre. His office was in Milan so a date was set and I went down. The day I arrived I went directly to their office. His assistant came out to greet me ashen faced. Apparently Ferre wasn't in town because there had been some problems at their plant in Bologna and he wouldn't be able to return till tomorrow. I said I had another interview to do the next day in Florence so they would have to re-schedule with GQ. The assistant literally grabbed my arm and said no, please stay. We'll get you a room in the best hotel in Milan and hire a car to drive you tomorrow to Florence immediately after the interview. I said okay, but I would have to do it at 7 in the morning because it's a long drive to Florence, my interview there is at noon, etc. The assistant spluttered Impossible! Mr. Ferre doesn't wake up till ten and doesn't arrive at the office till noon. I said sorry, but it would have to be 7 in the AM or it couldn't be done. The assistant asked me to wait while she phoned Ferre. A few minute later she came back and with a look of serious trepidation said okay-- seven it is. The next morning I was standing outside their office just before seven. On the dot, a red Volkswagen Golf came flying down the street and screeched to a halt three feet from where I was standing. The assistant leapt out of the driver's side and ran around to open the other door. A hefty but short man slowly emerged and looked at me with eyes like a flame thrower. Ferre had arrived. In those days I was smoking and had one in my hand. He came over but instead of shaking hands, took the cig from me and flicked it away. "I don't like cigarettes" then he turned and unlocked the office. "Come on. We will drink coffee and after I wake up I will answer your questions." Surprisingly the interview went very well. When it was over, he handed me a pair of sunglasses I had admired from his most recent collection as a small gift. I still have them."

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (9:53 AM) : 

I'm looking forward for your posts from Rome and Paris! Can't wait!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:02 AM) : 

Ferre was simply one of the best designers of the past century. Just a study of the talent and new language he applied to the white shirt could be a entire design thesis.

He will be missed, I too hope the company continues.

 

Blogger simplyolive said ... (9:11 PM) : 

...looking forward to these posts.

such a loss to the fashion world...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:38 PM) : 

My sympathy to the family of Mr. Ferre and to the fashion world. A man of such CLASS, style, and vision will be missed. Resquiat en pace.

Thank you for posting this info on your site, Sart. xoxo

 

Blogger Stratos Bacalis said ... (7:51 AM) : 

So sorry about Sig. Ferre, one of the best designers in the world IMHO. His architectural studies did show in his designs.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting