This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Fabrizio in Paris

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, July 20, 2007

Fabrizio in Paris


As we saw yesterday - another example of rolled cuffs and dress shoes.

I like this even more because they are dress pants.

Comments on "Fabrizio in Paris"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:09 AM) : 

this is the guy with the compulsively knotted shoelaces, isn't it?

 

Blogger Tereneh Idia said ... (10:12 AM) : 

Fantastic. What I love about his style is how he brings humor to his very tailored look. Sarto, I agree the fact that they are dress pants makes it even better. Wonderful. Funny thing is earlier this summer some lamented men's options for ease of wear in the hot months, maybe these looks are not easy but I have to say the men of summer are more inspiring to me than the ladies, maybe The Summer of the Dress are making the ladies to lazy?

 

Blogger winst said ... (10:52 AM) : 

Wonderful. The ribbon of his camera dangling from his vest pocket recalls the turn-of-the-century-gentleman's pocket watch. It's just another subtle addition to this light, summery, and modern play on classic style.

What are some brands that put out fitted dress pants without a weighty price tag?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:00 AM) : 

I love the twist on tailored clothing. I have worn my dress shoes in summer without socks for years.love

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:03 AM) : 

I do believe this is the man was featured in January as well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:50 AM) : 

Always love his looks.
But,whois Fabrizio?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:50 AM) : 

how modern-romantique!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:53 AM) : 

I like the shoes, but not a fan of clothing (the belt) with logos and initials. Too distracting and pretentious.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:54 AM) : 

I really love the whole outfit: fabulous shoes, great vest, lovely cropped pants - but to honest - the Hermes belt is a lapse to that fancy outfit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:57 AM) : 

Wow what great style! This guy really understands that fashion is not meant to be taken too seriously, although, that gorgeous Hermes belt screams otherwise!

Love this shot!

 

Blogger Fabio.Liu said ... (12:13 PM) : 

Everyone wants to be Tintin now?
Looks pretty good to me, just not sure about the shirt´s colors (stripes are ok) but I´d try to wear those fantastics old-fashioned arm-bands..don´t know...the shirt seems so lazy...full of drapes..what the heck..it looks nice enough! Your blog rocks. Complimenti!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:13 PM) : 

I think the shorter leg needs to be complemented by a more elongated torso than what's happening here with that vest.

 

Blogger Butch said ... (12:21 PM) : 

Don't feature the rolling, nor the shoes--sorry!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:25 PM) : 

I'm sorry, Sart, but this I don't like. You have to ask yourself: do the rolled pants do anything for the outfit? IMO, it was plenty interesting, witty, and chic without that tweak.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:55 PM) : 

But should he really have something so bulky in his pocket?

As an aside, how tedious it must be to be SO fashionably-minded on a daily basis.

mltt

 

Blogger Colin Flora said ... (1:19 PM) : 

In a way, this ensemble all comes down to his hair; if he were shaggy, it would be a lot easier to just dismiss the eccentricities; however, his manicured look forces us to confront the rolled cuffs and tight gorge as definite choices. And I like them.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:56 PM) : 

oh yes, and good shoes too
shoes and belt always make or break an outfit :)

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (2:11 PM) : 

The shoes! So dapper!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:17 PM) : 

Oh no--No. Nope. I'm trying to be open minded here. What am I missing?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:27 PM) : 

love his Hermes belt!

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (2:39 PM) : 

again I think you guys are taking it way too literally as a "yes" or "no"

is he over-the-top?

yes,
but I always see things a bit differently after seeing one of his looks

He challenges conceptions of style in a very good way.

It would be wrong to dress exactly like him but more wrong to plainly dismiss him

abstract inspiration!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:42 PM) : 

Sorry, but I'm just not a fan of this one.

In an odd way it reminds me of the so-hated cargo short/sport shoe combo that was being rallied against a few posts back.

I do like the shoes without socks though, but I think this would be better with maybe a slightly shorter pant than usual, so that a bit of ankle was showing...or even *gasp* shorts.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:27 PM) : 

Ok, Sart. I see your point. It is true that though I didn't (and still don't) like the end effect of the rolled cuffs, I do appreciate that he's pushing the boundaries, making one think. That should always be appreciated. That's one key thing that good art does.

I also wonder if there is some gender prejudice at work here: are we more accepting of women experimenting with their clothes?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:33 PM) : 

Not for me...but long live individuality!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:47 PM) : 

He's cool, love the Hermes touch and his casual chic approach but the guy has too many things in his pockets

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:59 PM) : 

"But should he really have something so bulky in his pocket?"

Umm, I'm all for that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:44 PM) : 

I could accept the rolled pants, and I love the shoes, but the shirt looks rumpled and dull and fussy at the same time, and I think the belt makes him look fat or wide hipped, especially with the vest above hipline.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:44 PM) : 

What kind of shoes are those? Great outfit!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:18 PM) : 

not good. very pretentious. dress shoes without socks? again, not good. i feel blisters coming on!!!

(i've been reading your blog since last year and this is the first "not good" i've seen - keep up the good work!)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:31 PM) : 

I think Sart is right. Like all good art should do, this man's sartorial creativity forces us to see the old and hackneyed in new ways. His look is pleasing to my eye. I prefer to think that he's using the Hermes belt ironically. I have no evidence of that, of course, I just prefer to believe that because the alternative is much less kind. And the shoes are terrific.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:57 PM) : 

The stuff in his pockets makes him look human! This is a nice contrast to his last picture, where he looked so made-up. The only piece he's wearing that every other man isn't: the vest, but with a little fussing he looks so nicely put-together.

 

Blogger Anthony said ... (7:58 PM) : 

Fabrizio is very very cute and has a tremendous sense of style to boot.
Love this look!

______
Read: the-melburnian.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:59 PM) : 

I'm all for quirky - but this......this has more of an educated, 'serial killer chic' that I find spooky. Maybe it is the hair and the look he's shooting the camera. He looks like he just cleaned up a crime scene. Just sayin......

I prefer the quirky look of that hot fellow with the white socks and Stanley pin from a couple weeks ago. That's my kind of quirk.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:45 PM) : 

The belt makes the look come across as too contrived. I would love this without it.

 

Blogger donutcake said ... (8:47 PM) : 

doo...doo....d'doo...can't touch this

doo...doo....d'doo...can't touch this

That is so him. Really...no one should try that but him.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:59 PM) : 

you're kidding right? it looks jokey. and there's so much going on it looks contrived. and uncomfortable. yeah, i'd stop and look at him, but not for the right reasons. - minette

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:27 PM) : 

OK, M. Sart--you've changed my mind. (I'm the one who wrote "Nope.") He IS interesting and challenges my ways of thinking/wearing these clothes so I'll give him that. Style he's got. (Maybe he can roll his cuffs a little wider though?)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:00 AM) : 

Rolled pants on men and cropped pants on women --- agggghhh! I think both are very unflattering looks. This look is only good if you are escaping from a flood zone!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:07 AM) : 

I appreciate the detail he pays to his dressing. Overall, I find his style too studied (well pressed clothes, perfectly knotted shoe laces, neatly combed hair etc) which lacks a sense of 'je ne sais quoi'. None of that 'effortless' style which I see in the other photos. Perhaps that's why some here find it 'pretentious'?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:27 AM) : 

He is totally being upstaged by the guy in the background with the jeans and white bucks. A modern, casually dressed man and a strange, stiff, costumed clown.

 

Blogger Patagonia Community said ... (12:41 AM) : 

I agree with "mltt" that it must be tedious to be so fashionably minded every morning. It's great for content on a website such as yours (certainly entertaining), and great for the trend-setting extremes of the runway, but really, doesn't it just scream PRETENTIOUS when worn on the street by the average dude?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:07 AM) : 

ok sart
i think what makes your site interesting is that people can agree to disagree with you and eachother and the image. fashion is art. if you edit what you read or you get annoyed at what you read, then you are interferring with the purpose of art expression. in other words, you yourself are taking it way too literally as a "yes" or "no"
enjoy the fact that people are enjoying your site.
i personally LOVE IT and i look forward to seeing what you found new to share everyday.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:03 AM) : 

Perfect, I love everything. More of these please!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:00 AM) : 

Oh well...it is Paris, and the young Picasso and his great looks, so I suppose everything is OK.
He looks great and even if some people say "pretentious" or "too much", we should appreciate the effort he is making to give the world a good image.
Rather him and his clothes than t-shirt, jeans and sneakers!!!
Anyhow, as usual we have the "I like it" and "I don't get it", which makes this blog so so so interesting...having people with different point of views reading the blog makes it so good!!!
Imagine if all the comments were "I like it"!!!! Boring!!! hehehe

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:18 AM) : 

I love your blog, and it disheartens me to see so many people take it as a rating community rather than using it for 'abstract inspiration'. I love every photgraph you post- even if the outfit isn't my personal favorite, it's wonderful to see people being so original and innovative wih their personal styles!

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (11:51 AM) : 

I disagree with all the comments that Fabrizio's look is too precious and pretentious! Yes, he clearly makes an effort and isn't going for the studiously-too-cool-to-care-look at all, but with the vast majority of people walking around NOT caring how they look, I find it refreshing to see a person who so thoroughly thinks through each aspect of his outfit. It forces the viewer to think about fashion, which in my mind can only be a good thing even if his taste is not exactly mine. Bravo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:20 PM) : 

In some nutty sort of way, I suppose this particular style is appealing. The fabrics, however, leave a lot to be desired.

 

Blogger Laurence John said ... (2:20 PM) : 

this has the feel of someone who doesn't really know what look he's going for and has gone for several at once, unsuccessfully.

 

Blogger dnqcnn said ... (4:17 PM) : 

he breathes his name
when you see this guy you just know his name is fabrizio..
love the pants and shoes combo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:29 PM) : 

i do admire his outfit, but can someone explain to me the appeal of rolled up pants? i just don't get it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:31 PM) : 

I'm trying to be open-minded too but I just don't "get" this. He reminds me in this outfit of Christopher Reeve when he time traveled in "Somewhere in Time" to put the moves on Jane Seymour in 1910. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:05 AM) : 

Idon´t fancy this photo at all.I don´t like the way the pants are rolled up and again shoes without socks,I hate the vest and although grey-my fave color is present, it doesn´t work here.The thing he has in his pocket makes me wonder...Maybe the small beard sure makes his long face less long but with his hairstyle it´s not good.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:16 AM) : 

Unfortunately spoiled by the Hermes-esque belt buckle, which makes a whimsical trouser gesture seem contrived.

 

Blogger Robert said ... (3:13 AM) : 

Fabrizo is alright in moderation, but we're becoming intoxicated on his vanity.

 

Blogger Big Eyes Strange Names said ... (10:49 PM) : 

i think this guy looks awesome, but more importantly where can a girl with a size 6 1/2 foot buy shoes like that? i've been scouring the city(nyc) for months now. no luck. little boys maybe? suggestions sart?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:32 PM) : 

he looks good. but i wish i could do something about that hair. it should be short. shorter at least. sort of higer, with short sides. you know../sooz

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:36 PM) : 

...and would have loved it if he had just a white shirt underneath, or maby a shirt with short sleeves. light blue:ish could do also. /sooz again

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:27 PM) : 

No, not a hit. Each time I see someone trying to pull this look off on this blog, my brow knits. If you're wearing trousers rolled like this you should either have a clam bucket and shovel in your hand or be escaping rising floodwaters. Awful.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (7:00 AM) : 

for Anon 9:27

Fred Astaire rolled his pants like that and he was considered pretty cool
S

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:35 PM) : 

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who saw the serial killer in his look. I don't know what it is - maybe the hair and the fussy stuff that he does below his knees - first the shoelaces and now these cuffs - definitely there is a creep factor. But he's probably just a harmless guy who loves clothes - and he is kind of inspiring in his fastidiousness. You know that he's considered it all very carefully so he's pointing it out as an option.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:49 AM) : 

He's late for his 3:00 ass kicking...

 

Blogger S. said ... (11:41 AM) : 

Entirely hot!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:02 PM) : 

I absolutely love the rolled cuffs and dress shoes. I'm surprised at how many people still aren't sold on it. I don't see how how anyone can argue with these shoes...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:52 AM) : 

you shot him again after this! in a more recent month, i remmember his great outfit!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting