This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Weather or Not?

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Weather or Not?

Yesterday several people commented that the young lady in the shorts looked sooo cold and underdressed for the weather.

The truth is, it was one of those curious days when it was neither too cool or too warm.

My point yesterday was that there seems to be a sweet spot temperature-wise when a person can pretty much dress anyway they want.

For me, that temperature is 60-65F.

I love that range because people really have to get creative with their look, especially if they will be running around all day with no chance to change or add/drop a layer.
I love seeing a young lady grabbing the last chance to wear her favorite Marni summer dress under her newly purchased favorite Fall knit or ,as I was simply suggesting yesterday, a Fall look that still shows some leg.

For me, it might be shorts with a cashmere cardigan.

I usually disagree with people that say "if it is cold enough for a ____ then it is too cold for a ______"

All the images below were taken at the Miu Miu show.
In the top image I see a women in a fur and in the background a women wearing very open sandals. In other images i see some people wearing coats and some are wearing tee shirts.

So what is that "anything goes" temperature for you?
and do you have a favorite combo that you like to break out when it hits the sweet spot?





Comments on "Weather or Not?"

 

Blogger frau mo said ... (9:23 AM) : 

ha, tricky question!
i pondered a little and for me the "anything goes temperature" is about 20c / 68 f.
and i agree, cashmere is great for capricious weather.
so while i see snow outside my window i´m looking forward to wear my margiela-skirt again in april...sigh.
( and of course with naked legs ;-) )

 

Blogger AM said ... (9:38 AM) : 

What an interesting topic. I recently moved to the east coast from So. Calif. and, for the first time, weather and walking a lot are the main influences on what I wear.

The adjustment to the weather has been hard. I can't wear half my shoes 6 months out of the year and that's depressing. But I've slowly adjusted. The other day, I was surprised when I found myself thinking, "oh, it's going to be 52 degrees today," and excitedly put on my open-toed shoes. Back in California, my comfort zone was probably 65 to 75. Here, it's 50-65. Any higher and it gets too hot with all the walking I do.

 

Blogger Landis said ... (9:47 AM) : 

i think you have to accept that global warming (or temp shifts or whatever) are making every season the same. it's why you see the rise of resort, it's so warm in the winters you have to almost be seasonless in how you pack/dress/prepare these days.

 

Blogger pearlaceous said ... (10:08 AM) : 

My anything goes temp would be a little below/above 20C.. Hmm.. It would be a skirt/a nice pair of shorts with bare legs, and one or two long sleeve items depending on how cold it is. :)

I agree with you, I'd love to see something summery/with a nice bright color under a heavy knitted jacket or a nice trench coat.

 

Blogger Anna-Lyssa said ... (10:40 AM) : 

sometimes you just have to wear something that makes you happy, and feel beautiful. if that means being a little on the cold side but you get to show your legs, then that's fine by me. i wear black tights the minute the leaves start turning the slightest bit yellow, because they make me feel confident and beautiful and put together.
if a fur on a fall day makes you happy, and the girl next to you is wearing her favorite strappy sandals because they make her feel happy, then it's a win-win because everyone is happy. it's not a refugee camp out there, no one is being held at gunpoint.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:43 AM) : 

the girl in red should always show those legs.

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (11:05 AM) : 

Very interesting topic! There are days where you can wear almost everything and there are those cold days that I like to wear shrots or mini dresses with a beautiful coat. As long as I don't feel cold, I love legs out for fall or winter!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:20 PM) : 

I love the kind of weather which allows you to make interesting combinations. I always love open shoes and jeans, stuff like that. So I'd say around 65 F is my favourite temperature. Allows me to wear my favourite black summerdress, by day with sandals and in the evening with feminine boots. Carrying a cardigan with me for when the sun goes behind a cloud.
Also I love to wear a vest over a tanktop. That kind of weather is good for that too. And again; when it gets colder a cardigan, like on this photo when I was hanging out with friends in the park this Spring:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/Suzage/Polaroids/ik002.jpg?t=1195579044

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:25 PM) : 

There is no such thing as working bare legs for Fall or Winter, if the Winter and Fall were like in the old days.
So all this women wear bare legs because it was warm enough for them to do so, they seem old enough to be sensible.
There is nothing more ridiculous than those young girls on a night out in the middle of the Winter, with summer clothes just to show some flesh, it's just common.
My comfort Zone to wear anything would be around 20 degrees, of course this varies from people to people and place to place but there is still something called common sense everyone knows when it's too cold and people are just being fashion slaves.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:31 PM) : 

The guy on the left looks cool.The other two..well

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:34 PM) : 

This is the beauty of living in San Francisco -- so much of that "sweet spot." One can pretty much always get away with a turtleneck sweater, big pants, and sandals; or a little dress and some killer boots; or whatever! The sweater might be a little heavier at one time of year than another, or the dress might go under a jacket when outdoors. It's a marvelous way of dressing, never being tied to serious cold weather clothes or serious hot weater clothes, but always just whatever one feels like.

 

Blogger Eni + Anu said ... (12:48 PM) : 

For me, it's minis and open toes! (With tights in between of course!)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:51 PM) : 

living in New Orleans we consider 50 freezing... so my sweet spot would be the 70-75 range. For us it's summer 8 months out of the year, so instead of extending our summer wardrobes, we desperately try to get away with extending our fall and winter looks. You'll see women in turtlenecks and tights in 70 degree weather just because we rarely get to wear them.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:03 PM) : 

Is that Bud Bundy in the top photo?

Personally, I dress to the season more than I do to the temp outside, but I've never been a strict rule follower either when it comes to fashion. I find most "rules" to be inane.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:22 PM) : 

In the third picture:
Is that woman wearing a bracelet or is her hand stuck in one of those travel mugs to carry coffee?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:35 PM) : 

I completely agree that 60 degree weather is perfect for wearing anything. Some people just get naturally colder or hotter than others. Personally, I will wear a coat or sweater even if it is a bit too hot for one. P.S.- in my family we call 60 deg weather "California Weather", we used to live there. The unexpected weather on the east coast lets you cherish those 60 degree days all the more than if they occured every day

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:48 PM) : 

I have got to point out how often magazines show models wearing bikinis and knit hats. Almost as often as they show sheer shirts without anything underneath. This is a look that is almost never going to work in real life and yet women crave it and will make it work whenever possible.

 

Blogger fraise said ... (2:34 PM) : 

For me the sweet spot is around 60F/15C as well. If it's autumn I love to wear my favorite boots with a knee-length skirt and pretty top, or a dress of the same length. (I spend most of our hot Nice summers excitedly awaiting cooler weather in large part because I enjoy wearing boots so much.) If it's spring I'll likely try to wear open-toed shoes with a similar outfit, though!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:11 PM) : 

I undestand the concept of 'sometimes you have to suffer to look good', but honestly I hate freezing just to look preety. That's why I think that winter is such a tricky season...
My ideal temp would be 19ºC/22ºC. You can wear something for summer with a sweater or something easy to carry around.
You know what I really like about spring/summer? Wearing my shoes with no stockings. Sounds silly but well...

 

Blogger Luc Wiesman said ... (4:21 PM) : 

the girl in the red has given me a serious case of memory burn.

such a striking shot / look / smile...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:21 PM) : 

Being from a tropical island, I tend to feel cold at anything below75-77 degrees; however, I tend to feel colder in the torso than in my feet and legs so I am one of those you would probably see with a jacket or coat on and bare legs with strappy shoes.

 

Blogger ricpic said ... (4:22 PM) : 

The woman in the top photo, wearing the fur, looks like a disheveled hausfrau to me.
But right behind her is a woman dressed perfectly in a lightweight sage green jacket (leather? suede? cloth?) over a horizontal black and white striped knit jersey with bluejeans and black boots, the colors all work perfectly together in this just right outfit for 60 degreeish weather.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:37 PM) : 

60-65 ºF?

Obviously not Canadian. It's not like I'm gonna call you a "wuss" but, you know...

In both Toronto and Montreal, you can see girls in skirts that make men blush at 35-40 ºF (that's about 2-5 ºC) or either gender in open shoes.

Whoo-hoo! Gotta love Canada!
mltt

 

Blogger Kerri Struggle said ... (6:59 PM) : 

to the girl in red,

you are absolutely stunning.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:53 PM) : 

Unfortunately, I now live in Los Angeles where, apparently, we only have two seasons - spring and summer...and sometimes it rains. So, light layers of cashmere and cotton work pretty much any day of the year. I wore tights last week, silly me - it turned out to be in the 80's that day.

I know it sounds crazy, but I miss New York autumns and winters. In L.A., one day just blends into the next. No crisp autumn breezes, no waking up to snow on a cold, winter morning. Just sunshine, lots and lots of sunshine. (I guess I'll have to muddle through somehow)

 

Blogger Pistachio Of Liberty said ... (8:20 PM) : 

Huh! A little red Coach bag. Who woulda thunk?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:16 PM) : 

i cant' believe someone mentioned global warming here.

btw i believe the new correct term is "climate change" or somesuch.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:14 PM) : 

I adore the first woman's little red bag! It's adorable and youthful. Does anyone know where to get one?

 

Blogger Prime Online said ... (4:46 AM) : 

what an interesting topic, great photos too. The last guy on the right in the last pic is in good shape

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:10 AM) : 

18-20 c

 

Blogger christine said ... (3:07 PM) : 

The girl in red makes her dress( from zara) look great.. wish i bought it when i saw it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:26 PM) : 

well i often ponder this question , and it all depends right now in new yor city we still get some of those near 60f days . which is nice for me like at around 57f i can wear my tweed suit/coat (think chanel) with quarter sleeves to show off my elbow length gloves.
i don't disagree with you exactly , but i definitely would never do a bare leg in november. i'll just wear tights

 

Blogger Jessica DaSilva said ... (6:58 PM) : 

For my comfort zone of about upper 60 degrees Farenheit, I love to wear my navy, military-styled dress with a short, black leather jacket and high-heeled, three-quarter calf-length, suede black boots.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:24 PM) : 

good lord. Those three people in the bottom pic are so beautiful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:02 PM) : 

The one in the socks is the v talented stylist Charlotte Stockdale n'est ce pas? Hard to tell for sure....
But PS nice socks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:23 PM) : 

As far as the first shot goes, I sometimes wonder if just wearing something highly eccentric like these shoes and socks really warrants having your photo taken! Personally - I think she looks ridiculous and I can't see how this could possibly be a good look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:27 PM) : 

I live in Canada but spend alot of time in South Carolina. This is interesting in the winter as it is absolutely freezing here, and there is no question you wear covered legs, sweaters and unfortunately, most of the time, a really warm coat. Going to the Carolinas however means it is around 60 degrees in the day, and I am just SO happy to wear my flat shoes and no socks!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:26 PM) : 

60ish is my sweet spot. cool enough for a suit, warm enough to go without a jacket.

those women in the photos: i'm all about tall, slim, elegant women, but a good measure of "gross skinny" is when your thighs don't touch when you're standing. the clothes are nice, but they need need more than bony clothes hangers.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:31 PM) : 

I absolutely agree... For me, (I live in Argentina), the perfect weather is the Punta el Este's nights on summer. A light silk dress, with a cashemere sweater or better: a baby suri shawl.

 

Blogger ellen said ... (1:24 PM) : 

coming from a town where it's minus twenty in the morning and plus 10 in the evening and snows in august i haven't found the anything goes season. when spring comes everyone is so ecstatic to see grass the shorts get broken out after about 10 degrees but a sweater and boots are still acceptable.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:21 PM) : 

I am not a firm believer in if it's too cold for one thing it's too hot for another but I stand by that when it comes to Uggs and mini-anything. It's never been a particularly stylish trend to me but I cannot see a temperature where something insulated with sheep's wool could do anything but make your poor feet sweat to death if it's warm enough to wear short bottoms with no tights.

My mid-range temp would be in the 60's but it depends on a mixture of sun vs. clouds and what the wind is doing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:12 AM) : 

anyone know where one can find boots like the one the asian guys with the slim jeans is wearing?

if anyone knows, please email me at: uhjulio@hotmail.com

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting