This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....Greene St., Soho

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Sunday, December 09, 2007

On the Street.....Greene St., Soho

Comments on "On the Street.....Greene St., Soho"

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (8:50 AM) : 

Nice look! Love her cowl around her neck!

 

Blogger wear palettes said ... (9:05 AM) : 

christmas trees and colors.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:33 AM) : 

So festive!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:35 AM) : 

I personally would've done without the scarf; it covers up what looks like a very elegant neck. Also, I would have gone with slimmer boots to streamline the silhouette.
As for the coat, I love the plaid and the deep red and green. In the holiday spirit, yet decidedly less kitschy than wearing a Rudolf sweater whose nose lights up red or another variation on the infamous teacher-sweater.
I wonder: what is on her wrist and what does that grey dress look like? Her layers do a good job of making one want to see more.

 

Blogger O!Lightning said ... (10:55 AM) : 

nice combo of textures.casualy pleasing layers and her beautiful face calmly looking out, she looks warm, christmasy and lovely.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:05 AM) : 

i want that coat! i love this photo it is so christmasey haha!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:16 AM) : 

to victoria-10:35 am---no scarf. r u kidding me, have you been outside lately? She's smart wearing a scarf--not some slave to fashion. I think she looks charming. Love this type of style. She is my favorate all week.

 

Blogger meg said ... (11:19 AM) : 

ohhh the christmas lights blurring in the background.. perfection. great pic sart :]

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:19 AM) : 

This whole ensemble looks incredibly comfortable. I feel cozy just looking at it!

One of the cases where the outfit is stylish BECAUSE it looks so comfortable.

 

Blogger Barbara said ... (11:37 AM) : 

I absolutely love the combination of everything. The large cowl goes well with the oversized pockets. The shape is just amazing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:53 AM) : 

perfect. the oversized details (pockets, scarf) are surprisingly not overwhelming. countered by the bit of leg she has, i think it makes up for the lack of neck. and the christmas trees, fantastic. this look is everything i wish for.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:00 PM) : 

It's way too cold here not to wear a scarf.

 

Blogger Lola said ... (12:11 PM) : 

The proportions aren't too flattering; however, I love the idea of this outfit. It looks warm, too, which isn't something you can say about most fashionable pairings.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:28 PM) : 

I love everything about this picture, especially the hint of twinkling lights in the background. And those boots are hot!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:34 PM) : 

This shot made me think... I was going through some wonderful old sweaters that are no longer up to snuff-- out of date or a little worn-- AND... I may make some cowls out of the lower body sections! Recycle the old favorites in a new way.

Great coat and very festive with the trees as background!

 

Blogger Daphné said ... (12:37 PM) : 

She matches so well with the Christmas trees behind her!Really nice picture!

 

Blogger nanashi said ... (1:13 PM) : 

She looks so adorable! I like the overall combination of colors she chose, it feels classic (the coat reminds me of the old flannel shirt I had in the early 90s) and new (the proportion of the coat to boots reminds me of Phillip Lim's collection) at the same time. If I were to add anything it would be a red chapstick so it would make her beautiful face pop and stand out more.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:23 PM) : 

I am attracted to her simple outfit, she looks so comfortable and warm. Her face is calm and elegant in an elf sort of fashion. I imagine her selling those trees in the back and I want to buy my tree from her!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:54 PM) : 

Her outfit looks almost perfect for this pic. It looks really comfortable and warm. I kinda think the hose and boots are too delicate for this scene though. Id go for a cottony charcoal legging and a tan work boot instead.
I feel badly for all the trees :(

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:05 PM) : 

Not especially of the moment, but also it is of the moment, with her unique mix of lengths, and scarf draping. Reminds me of the woman with the hoodie and scarf and army green pants a couple of weeks ago who was not especially trendy but looked great due to the the sum of the parts. I try to go for this daily in my dressing, and i notice it in others too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:29 PM) : 

Nice Holiday feelfor the photo, but I don't love the look.

 

Blogger Brian said ... (3:04 PM) : 

What a perfect cozy Christmas outfit!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:10 PM) : 

not impressed...
color palette=confusing
fit=shapeless
overall look= fairly generic

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:25 PM) : 

anonymous 11:16
I wasn't suggesting that she go without a scarf- just a less bulky, more streamlined one. This scarf looks warm, but I'm sure I could find one just as warm without all the superfluous material. One could argue that this extra material on the scarf makes it more unique and gives her edge, but I find it distracting and, in fact, impractical; I believe in function as much as form in fashion.

 

Blogger Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said ... (5:37 PM) : 

This image evokes the holiday season to me as much as her outfit--I like the trees and lights lit in the background. Her plaid coat is lovely and the skirt peeking out from underneath is a nice touch.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:02 PM) : 

This shot, and the one of Mory below, are just simply phenomenal seasonal shots. Love them both! The weather here in Chicago today is, unfortunately, far worse than NY. Everything's coated with a sheet of ice, but these pictures make me warm.

 

Blogger Panda said ... (6:08 PM) : 

I COMPLETELY agree with Stefania...she just looks SO comfortable And pretty And approachable.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:23 PM) : 

so cozy and Christmas-like! The darker light and deep green remind me of an old fashioned sort of christmas sensibility.

 

Blogger junation said ... (7:27 PM) : 

All of that works very well. The scarf, coat and boots.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:16 PM) : 

While this page was loading and all I saw was the Christmas lights in the upper-left corner, I could already tell I was going to adore this photo.

And since this photo is so festive and wonderful, it reminded me to thank you once again, Mr. Shurman, for the delectable style you capture on film that really inspires me, and not just in dress either :)

 

Blogger so said ... (10:11 PM) : 

love the hand knit cowl.
burley spun yarn, perhaps?

 

Blogger The Vintagent said ... (10:40 PM) : 

I don't get it, Scott, but happy hanukkah anyway!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:57 PM) : 

This photo made me feel that I could smell Christmas in the air - must be those pine trees in the background. Very nostalgic as I am an English woman living in Australia and Christmas here is hot! I have to look at your July/August posts for style inspiration.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:41 AM) : 

Great shot.
These boots (maybe slightly slimmer) are currently de rigueur in Toronto for winter.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:44 AM) : 

A wonderful not overly trendy boho look here. I love the coat. Is it by "someone"? Or is it vintage?


I'm also really curious to see what she's wearing underneath the coat.

 

Blogger Alana in Canada said ... (12:59 AM) : 

This is a beautiful photo that goes well beyond the merits of the outfit. Thanks.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:12 AM) : 

The boots are glorious! Very luxe, and I love how they hang. The deconstructed Christmas scene in the back is cool, too. I would look terrible in the jacket, but she pulls off the look well.

 

Blogger Renata said ... (3:20 AM) : 

anon 3.10pm, not impressed. I would like to see what you wear.

This is a real look from a real person, not out of a magazine. I am new to this site and that's what I like about it, it's real.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:14 AM) : 

That picture has a very distinctive, twofold effect on me: it reminds me of the absolute necessity to enjoy every single moment before, during and after christmas, not in its loud, blaring, glittering ways, but in its more quiet accents. And secondly, there is so much more to style than brands, names and le dernier cri: it is inside of you (and me).
Oh, beautiful world!

 

Blogger _ said ... (5:19 AM) : 

@ victoria:
i find scarves like that much more practical in this weather. i can adjust the shape according to wind chill, pull it higher outside or on a windier street or scrunch it lower when inside. piling it up on your neck makes such a difference and keeps you so much warmer.

i think the look is streamlined enough. she pulled her hair back tight so that it would not distract from the bulk of her jacket and scarf. the only thing that makes this outfit seem less streamlined are the boots but i don't mind those either. i'd actually like to see the back of this jacket to tell the dimensions/volume better. i think this full on frontal shot is not doing it as much justice as it deserves.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:34 AM) : 

wasn't santa claus wearing red last year ?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:59 AM) : 

I think she looks cute, but for me not very inspiring or wow. But I would quite like to have her boots nonetheless.

 

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said ... (7:05 AM) : 

I want those boots! I love the wraparound scarf too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:50 AM) : 

Wow this is fabulous in theory, but her legs look -really- short. But i can't put my finger on what it is.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:44 AM) : 

Her legs do not look short. It just looks as if she's capable of walking more than a block.
Is it just me, or is it bizarre that people think a person looks ill-proportioned if she's not wearing heels?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:06 AM) : 

To anon 10.44 am: yep, it IS bizarre!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:45 PM) : 

Thank you, she and your picture is perfect, perfect, perfect. In a sea of black this is such a welcome change. Those not in NYC might not understand.

 

Blogger shabnom said ... (3:00 PM) : 

Sarto: this photo is perfect! Was she really hanging around the Christmas trees looking perfectly Christmassy and colour co-ordinated or did you put her there? I love her bracelet peeking out and her fabulous coat against monochrome accessories. Thanks Sarto. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:14 PM) : 

She has the look of a ballet dancer. Grace shining through.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:59 PM) : 

She is so striking!

As someone who adores fashion but refuses to suffer for it, she is an inspiration. Stylish, functional, perfect. :)

 

Blogger karinee said ... (8:59 PM) : 

I love this so much.
Everything I think has pretty much been said.

I wish it was cold if Florida. A light jacket will suffice in the morning. What a pity, though. I would love a large winter jacket like this. And a peacoat. Dark olive green. Ah, bliss.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:36 AM) : 

LOVE it! love it love it love it! so warm, cozy, comfy, and unique, not "current" but TOTALLY stylish.

 

Blogger Nigerian Woman in Norway said ... (7:47 AM) : 

for goodness sake relax people--how long do you take getting dressed while worrying about streamlining this and streamlining that.

her boots are perfect. the scarf is gorgeous. and the coat is a beauty.

boo to comments from neurotic fashionistas.

 

Blogger Susanna said ... (11:52 AM) : 

Cute girl, cute outfit, but something about the color of the jacket just grates. Is it that green, or that green next to that red?

 

Blogger Panda said ... (1:22 PM) : 

I say Amen to what Nigerian woman in Norway said!!!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:36 PM) : 

Effortless chic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:13 PM) : 

Love this photo. Captures the holiday feeling well. I think she looks fresh and captivating. I want that coat!

 

Blogger Keiler said ... (8:19 PM) : 

I love it. Those are beautiful colors and textures. She looks comfortable. It's hard to look comfortable and put together at the same time.

 

Blogger Karyn said ... (1:53 AM) : 

I love the scarf! I am inspired! I saw the photo and went straight to my knitting drawer with high hopes that I had something on had that might possibly work to create its likeness. I'm nearly finished; I only hope that I can pull it off half as well as she does.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:24 PM) : 

like everything but the boots. Pretty girl.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:08 PM) : 

Lovely, except for the too big boots. I suppose because her legs are slender, it can't be helped. Love the colors, shape and texture of the cowl/coat combination. As a knitter, I love the cowl. Going to make one right now!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:29 PM) : 

even though other people don't seem to like it.... I think the thick cowl really makes this outfit pop because of its blue color. her whole outfit is beautiful, festive, colorful but clean and fashionable. her face looks quietly proud and kind :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:43 AM) : 

It's sweet to see she's keeping Christmas in mind :-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:32 AM) : 

i just like..fashion style.
like this!
cute..

 

Blogger FeiraChic said ... (6:55 PM) : 

LOVE her look! Perfect:)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:09 AM) : 

her look is great
simple and stylish
ooooh what the superboots
back to 80"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:59 AM) : 

i love the Christmas trees lined up along the footpath in the background.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting