This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....Mory on Madison Ave., Midtown

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Sunday, December 09, 2007

On the Street.....Mory on Madison Ave., Midtown

It was so cold this past week that I spent a bit of time stopping into stores to warm-up.

Of course, I had to stop in and see Mory and ,of course, he looked great.
While I was there his uncle "Some Kinda Blue" popped by in all his electric blue glory.

Again, I guess it runs in the family.

Comments on "On the Street.....Mory on Madison Ave., Midtown"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:38 AM) : 

I love the color combinations he has used here! I would have never thought to pair such a bright color with a beige/soft gold jacket and green pants. He has a great eye for color, it must definitely run in the family! (not to mention the blue shirt pulls everything together!)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:02 AM) : 

I admire his boldness! My personal preference is that the color of pants and vest are each bold enough on their own, but I find both together a bit of an overkill. But that is only my less bold nature.

This photo also leads me to pose a question to all: Is anyone uncomfortable with how these pants fit this gentleman in the crotch area? Part of why I ask is that I have a friend who is very self-conscious of this and makes a pointed effort to find pants that are more loose-fitting in that area. Which leaves him always having a more flowy, almost pajama-like look. Or quite a lot of bagginess in any jeans he wears.

My thought is that, this can't be uncommon for men, and, therefore, expected. And I've always insisted most people wouldn't notice. But then - in this photo - I've noticed. Maybe only because my friend's issue has made me more sensitive and observant?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:06 AM) : 

Theses great expanses of non-reflective colour come together beautifully and really compliment the subject's skin tone.Grey suede shoes are normally a complete no-no. Here, they are an inspired choice!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:20 AM) : 

do his pants have some kind of zip up vents at the cuff?

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (11:07 AM) : 

He looks great!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:16 AM) : 

this is awesome. the wow factor. i love his confidence!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:19 AM) : 

I was looking at a pair of gray suede shoes yesterday. I like them but I held off buying because I don't think I have anything that works with them( I know, lame excuse, maybe I just don't really love them!) Can south London boy or anyone else tell me why gray suede shoes are a "no-no"?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:21 AM) : 

I love how everyone around him is dressed in black and grey and his outfit is a burst of colour. He looks fantastic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:32 AM) : 

First of all, I don't know who Mory is...can anyone help me out? Does he own a specific store?

And I agree with South London boy... Suede shoes are rather difficult to combine, especially with pants and not jeans;

This pants do seam to have some sort of zip ups at the bottom- looks nice though.

I am just impressed by how he's able to make such a tasteful colour choice & combination after getting up in the morning!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:36 AM) : 

SNAPPY! Love, love, love the color combinations! This suits me much more than head to toe blue.

 

Blogger trip said ... (11:51 AM) : 

I think it is nice how the shot is framed by people wearing blacks and grays and other dark colors. Not sure if this was on purpose, but it really makes the color pop.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:09 PM) : 

I too noticed the pants' fit in the crotch area immediately. But I don't think that they are overly tight, in fact just well fitting. I think that it gives just a hint of masculine sexuality- as a straight woman, I don't find it unattractive. But anything tighter and it might be going too far (at least for me).

 

Blogger Lola said ... (12:09 PM) : 

Wow! I would never have thought that red and green and beige and blue and grey could all work together...but they do! Amazing.

 

Blogger Kat said ... (12:11 PM) : 

What an amazing color combination! The little triangle of light blue shirt really completes it.

 

Blogger The Black Apple said ... (12:47 PM) : 

This is such a beautiful ensemble! The colors are so warm, warm, warm. With the exception of the ice-blue shirt, they are the colors of the film "Amelie". :)

I must confess I did notice the snugness in the crotch area, but it didn't strike me as "sleazy"-snug. It seems more like an unavoidable side effect of the combonation of his physiology, the way he is standing, and the cut of his beautiful green trousers.

 

Blogger Butch said ... (12:48 PM) : 

Great colors, item co-ordination. Pants are too snug on top (or he's too happly endowed for them AS PART OF THIS ENSEMBLE).

Are the pants slit at the bottom? Looks so.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:00 PM) : 

Are we hooking up this family's brains to a giant world database of amazing color combinations so that they can save the world from drabness? We should be.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:13 PM) : 

Dear Sart, one more time I marvel looking at your exquisite photo, but most of all I marvel at you, finding this beings on the street.
Yours is a very interesting destiny attracting the utmost stylish people in the world. Your eyes can really catch the light of beauty, even the people in the background seem so appropriate, I can't stop thinking of Jeff Wall, but better... because is you in essence what creates the momentum to see this people in the streets. Is absolutely fantastic how you magnetize them, amazing!
Thank you for sharing your life and talent with us.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:20 PM) : 

which store does he work at?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:24 PM) : 

i like the beige, gray, green, red and light blue combination.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:25 PM) : 

Dear hencha: This was my first thought! distracting in the crotch area! The colors are so lovely, but I can't focus on on them properly, gah.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:36 PM) : 

I cant say enough wonderful things about this image!! I love how Mory is standing still in colors that match the trees and the building behind him. and theres a pulse on the sidewalk as the others march along all in black. That pulse as he stands still... the colors... this is art.

 

Blogger Asi Mod said ... (2:36 PM) : 

Love the color combination here, especially in winter. He definitely stands out in the crowd.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:47 PM) : 

I'd say that grey shoes in general- and not just grey suede- are simply very difficult to combine with anything else. I just wouldn't know when to wear them, or what to wear them with. Any ideas? But there are always exceptions to the rules! Mory's outfit is certainly so.

 

Blogger popcarts said ... (2:53 PM) : 

oooh...little ankle zippers!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:32 PM) : 

I love him and he looks fantastic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:00 PM) : 

great color combinations. he looks wonderful. i especially like the jacket and the zips. i also really like how the zips match the buttons on the jacket.

although it usually would, the snug fit in the crotch area doesn't bother me this time. i agree with the person that commented on how it does not seem to be a "sleazy"-snug.

i like the expression on his face. the way he smiles is kind of subtle, but is very warm. it might have something to do with the gapped-teeth. love it.

thanks for the wonderful photos, sart.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:44 PM) : 

love it. didn't notice the crotch at all until everyone started mentioning it. i dunno... who cares, he looks great. esp. in contrast to all the grey and black around him. and re: "rules" about grey suede shoes - if there's one thing i have learned from sart, it's that THERE ARE NO RULES. it's not that there are rules and then exceptions... there just AREN'T any rules in the first place. you should throw the rules completely out of your head. that'll allow you to start expressing your own style. that is the only "rule" that has been true for me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:28 PM) : 

reminds me of jcrew.

 

Blogger MARIA H said ... (7:13 PM) : 

all pieces are very interesting but together achieve a zen balance! Some sorta happy serenity!
Some just master personal style with equal ease and panache.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:20 PM) : 

Again, proof that a well-pulled together ensemble can also allow for taking risks, too. This works because the textures are complementary and the details spot on! The side zippers are genius! Gentlemen's clothing never looked this spontaneous.

 

Blogger The Black Apple said ... (7:25 PM) : 

Re: the talk about the grey shoe conundrum, I really love grey shoes with red, black, mustard, or navy or warm blue...but clearly they also work with spring-green as in this photo!

Also, as a lover of grey shoes, I hate how difficult nice ones are to find.

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (7:37 PM) : 

No, no, no. Nice photo, but this is merely costume on a city street in winter. Let's get serious, people. On an older gent, it would look superb. But not on this chap. I do like the sport jacket and shirt though. I appreciate the details on the ticket pocket and lapels. The tight green trousers are too tight, which, in this guy's small case, is no good thing. Next!

 

Blogger Jenn said ... (7:48 PM) : 

same pose as his uncle. adorable. i wonder if the father is just as fabulous.
i love all the colors; would have chosen brown shoes, but the grey works, it all works =]

 

Blogger Elizabeth said ... (8:04 PM) : 

Superb.

Oh, those green trousers.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:31 PM) : 

wow, he looks great, but the girl behind him on the left (his right?) looks really fantastic too!

 

Blogger Neon Legs said ... (8:37 PM) : 

slb, i have two pairs of grey suede shoes that i *live* in: brogues and stiletto booties. i wear them with winter white/cream and dark denim (so i suppose navy would work, too). i'm probably in the minority here, but i think a light grey shoe could also work well with camel... it's more interesting than a brown shoe, and it's a nice juxtaposition of warm and cool tones, kinda like mixing gold and silver jewelry together. but, of course, it depends on how you tie it in with what's worn on top.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:42 PM) : 

ok - i've just read all the comments about this gentleman's crotch area...and now that my eyebrows have settled back to their regular location, i would like to say: his pants fit him very well people! there is nothing wrong with the fit of his pants, and were it not for the fact that we can all take a long, hard look at this photo, i doubt if anyone would notice in "real life".

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:05 PM) : 

Damn, that's hot! Love the color combo and the casual ease of this lovely gentleman. However, Uncle is much hotter. Some Kinda Blue has been on my mind since I first saw his photo on Friday. Unfortunately, men don't dress with this sort of panache where I'm from (Washington State).

 

Blogger DeepBlueSea said ... (10:07 PM) : 

Cool to see so much colour amongst all that black!

 

Blogger Elizabeth said ... (11:00 PM) : 

Grey shoes like that could go with:

Dark denim
Navy
Black
Chocolate
Bottle Green
Charcoal Gray
Maroon
Eggplant

 

Blogger Alana in Canada said ... (12:53 AM) : 

These are the colours of my Christmas tree.

 

Blogger Luisa said ... (1:58 AM) : 

This man sure makes a convincing case for pastels in Winter!

Just goes to show that the rule book was created only to be torn into pieces.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:41 AM) : 

crotch or not...I just love the woman with the fur scarf and hoodie.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:36 AM) : 

beauutiful colour! great mix!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:41 AM) : 

wow

 

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said ... (7:04 AM) : 

Goodness; how to mix all colours and look great doing it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:31 AM) : 

I'll say it again: I hope I have half his style. He ALWAYS looks great. All hail Mory.

-rdhd

 

Blogger Andy said ... (8:45 AM) : 

I love this guy! I think if I ever ran into him I would have to shake his hand.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:46 AM) : 

Holy shizzle. He is for sure le sex. What a cutie :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:24 AM) : 

I guess nobody reads the other comments...But where does this guy work?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:55 AM) : 

He works at Eredi Pisano. There, someone said it. Please delete this if he wants to remain anonymous.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:20 AM) : 

Even if this photo was not about fashion, it would be such a striking pic! Bright shot of color amidst all the grey & black. I love his color combo and the grey suede shoes! I wish more men would experiment with color like this gentleman and his Blue uncle :)

 

Blogger ShugoP said ... (10:37 AM) : 

Mory look is Perfect! I love the color blend and the detail in the blazer and pants... This gentleman along with Nana Boateng, and Ozwald Boateng are my inspiration...

Steven Powell

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:26 AM) : 

I'm the Anonymous who didn't like the uncle's suit. I personally wouldn't wear this if I were a guy, but I think it works much better. The electric blue suit and matching shoes and violet turtleneck and pocket square and little hat were too much.

I disliked the uncle's look in the same way I dislike that of over-dressed black church ladies.

Contrary to some of the previous comments, that does not make me a self-hating minority.

 

Blogger Celia said ... (11:36 AM) : 

Wonderful! And with gray shoes...!

 

Blogger Ellie Lee said ... (11:50 AM) : 

love the colors!! and the vest!! but his pants.
kinda. tight?! isnt it??!! aww. he should get smt that fits!!

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (12:32 PM) : 

Mory again! He deserves a spot in the all-time fashion hall of fame, in my opinion.

 

Blogger christinaooi said ... (12:59 PM) : 

I'm in love. :)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:43 PM) : 

Can I just say that I think this comment

Are we hooking up this family's brains to a giant world database of amazing color combinations so that they can save the world from drabness? We should be.

is the most brilliant thing I have ever read on here!

 

Blogger shabnom said ... (2:53 PM) : 

I love the contrast between his bright pop of colour (especially his fabulous suit!!!) and the wintry monochrome people around him. This is definitely the thing to be wearing in winter - it fits so much better with all the glittery autumn colours in the background than black and grey. I like the blue shirt and grey shoes with the combo most of all. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:23 PM) : 

I love it. This man looks great. It's nice to see people wearing color in such a tasteful way like this, especially during the winter time, where most people tend to wear mostly black. the color scheme here is definitely not too bold/loud [well, maybe in comparison to the black colored coats you see on most people], his choice of colors is just right.

he's a ten!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:28 PM) : 

Hello you people who think his pants are too tight:

Have you been to France? (said with the inflection Dr. Cox on 'Scrubs' would use)
I think the snugness of his pants is hot, hot, hot.
This guy and his style rock, rock, rock.
This is my favorite photo yet on this site.

 

Blogger The People Could Fly Project said ... (8:20 PM) : 

love the smoky gray shoes.. it works so well with the other colors and the textures too
and this man just looks so congenial

lovely

 

Blogger Anthony said ... (8:40 PM) : 

what an ingenious selection of colors!


i love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:22 PM) : 

love how everyone around him is wearing black. bold guy. nice.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:54 PM) : 

they're related! that's just so pleasing.

i would LOVE to see this man's closet. i'm thinking he's got an entire room dedicated to clothes, neatly hung and color coded, with every hue, texture, and shape imaginable, and he just delights in creating fresh combinations.

some people may be wary of this outfit, but you have to realize that this is a very fashionable man, and it's one outfit out of a lifetime of creating fresh looks. i'm quite charmed by it.

i didnt' notice the pants situation until enlarging the pic and reading the comments. yowza. although i say not too tight. he's a confident, adult man not slumming around in baggy-ass pants. but the picture does sort of remind me if my super-thick, balled up ski socks. and a merry christmas to you!

 

Blogger Seattle Bites said ... (12:46 AM) : 

Personally I dislike that shade of green and red which is all the more reason why this outfit works so well. I love that he used the buttery yellow and pale blue to tie the more shocking colours together. I would wear the upper half any day.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:35 AM) : 

When everything is dark and grey it is always refreshing to see brighter colours. And that shade of green is marvelous.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:25 AM) : 

I guess these family will get together for Christmas. Sart, is there any chance that you can go and take a picture of all of them together? How wonderfuly colorful that could be!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:45 AM) : 

I remember a photo you have of Mory wearing the most exquisite blue suit in Milan and with the "dimple" in his tie and he told you to leave it when you tried to correct it. He is sublime, really. He is wearing all the colours of the rainbow here yet looks perfectly fitting. Similar to how someone said, when I look at myself in the mirror and think "damn you're stylish", if I have half the style he has, I'm damn stylish indeed.

Energie

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:35 AM) : 

Oh well, italian clothes can be a little colorful (and sometimes tight...), so if this gentleman works for an italian clothing company it is obvious he has to look the part.
The green pants with zippers partially open at the shoe level(!!!) are not working for me, probably because they look kind of teenager (more Diesel than Eredi).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:15 PM) : 

Since women are frequently criticised for being underdressed for the cold weather, is it fair to ask the same question here too?

I realise he's wearing layes, but like his uncle, he'd be one of the few people not wearing an overcoat.

Don't get me wrong - I love the outfit, but it looks like he's stepped outside just for the photo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:37 PM) : 

I am rather pleasantly surprised at this look, but it works amazingly well.

Quite stylish and inspired!

-mich.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:39 PM) : 

Also, love the outfit of the girl on the left with those delicious boots!

- mich.

 

Blogger DK said ... (3:49 PM) : 

Gotta say, it just doesn't flow to me. I dig it all less the spring green zip-ups. Why not chocolate trousers with complementary loafers (they could be suede if his heart so desires)? I think the red cardigan should be the shot of color here.

But that's just my opinion. Please don't blast me, fashion gurus.

 

Blogger sophie said ... (11:44 PM) : 

WONDERFUL WONDERFUL WONDERFUL!
ahh i love it all!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:14 AM) : 

original chic! I like the life of the colors.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:33 AM) : 

classic pose, a lesson in fashion, anything is possible as long as you rocking...

 

Blogger fictionita said ... (9:04 PM) : 

i love this colourful guy!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:29 PM) : 

ii'm sorry but he reminds me of kermit the frog

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:25 AM) : 

to anonymous at 11:26 a.m; I didn't like the uncle's outfit either but it wasn't until the overdressed church lady comment that you hit the nail on the head.

I do however like Mory's outfit. The pants are not too snug. It's a combination of stance and the fact that the ridiculous fashion rage of the last few years for young men to wear those insidious baggy pants and shorts that sag halfway down one's rear end that has skewed one's perception of what "fitted" means.

I'd like to watch Mory in his closet choosing his pieces each morning..that must be a fascinating exercise.

Oh, and the woman in the right of the pciture rocks.

 

Blogger Paul Pincus said ... (3:28 PM) : 

Mory is both cute and sexy. Lethal combination. He makes it look easy!

Cheers.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:41 PM) : 

He looks wonderful. Any man who can mix colors this way must be smart, witty, and fun to hang out with. His pants are not too tight; look at the looseness in the legs. He just happens to be well...ahem...endowed for a gentleman of his height and body build. Sexy. If I saw him in the street, I would definitely want to talk to him.

 

Blogger hoi polloi said ... (10:44 AM) : 

Thank god for color in winter

 

Blogger in defense of retail therapy said ... (12:55 AM) : 

i think we're in love.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:34 AM) : 

For curious fashionistas, Mory Kaba is the manager for Eredi Pisano' men's boutique in Manhattan. 'Some Kinda Blue' also frequents the label's flaghip at 520 Madison Ave. I see him there often.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:31 PM) : 

This look is wicked!! he pulls it off. As for the zipper area it's just the way his leg is positioned. So women really check the crotch first?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:55 PM) : 

I love the interplay of colour. Artfully accomplished.

erm......holy package, Batman!

 

Blogger igotmoxie said ... (7:33 AM) : 

oh i *adore* him!!!!

 

Blogger Human Racing said ... (4:37 AM) : 

I love his confidence! I would have never been able to wear something that cool on te street. I thought that it was funny that he kind of made me think of toad from the Frog and toad books though. (but in a good way)yqgi

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:33 PM) : 

That looks like a lot of fun, specially with all the “boring” stuff in background.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:01 AM) : 

I like it. Not something I would choose for myself but it works on him especially with his skin tone. I live in LA and people here are just tacky. The only place on the west coast with any remote sense of style is Seattle. I work for a man that wears D&G and Gucci daily and he is constantly criticising the way others dress. He's the classic example of LA style...if it has a label, it must look good...NOT.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:46 PM) : 

this is beautiful! the colours :) oh sart..

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting