This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....Off Madison Ave., Uptown

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, December 07, 2007

On the Street.....Off Madison Ave., Uptown

Comments on "On the Street.....Off Madison Ave., Uptown"

 

Blogger Paul Pincus said ... (8:49 AM) : 

The Lady on the right is incredible. Her style reminds me of Lisa Eisner. The blue coat. The shoes. I love that it all seems so deliberate!

 

Blogger MARIA H said ... (8:57 AM) : 

Adore the grey coat design!
Love the shades of blue!

But, carrying a bag like your arm is a disabled hook (inner elbow) is so not appealing to me.
It has so many connotations of feminine mistaken "passiveness"...not a bit sexy in my opinion, too victorian.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:29 AM) : 

I woman on the left looks wonderful. The cut of the coat is fascinating, the shoes are gorgeous and a perfect match to the outfit, and the green wool hat complements her colouring and adds warmth to the otherwise somewhat colour-draining grey.

The other woman's outfit is not quite my thing, and the bag is nice enough, but just like in some of the other photos below I do not like the way she poses with it.

 

Blogger Françoise said ... (9:33 AM) : 

the woman on the left has beautiful legs. only with legs like this can you wear shoes like that... not sure why, but she makes me think of Rene Zellweger, but a cuter version. :)

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (9:37 AM) : 

Both look great. The coat on the right is simply sumptuous and the grey is beautiful too, not to mention her fabulous legs!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:44 AM) : 

Um, no. Too much. (speaking of the woman on the right.) If you're wearing a Marc Jacobs runway look, the rest of the look should be toned down (imo).

The woman on the left's YSL oxfords are making me swoon! Now that's how it's done. She doesn't look like she's trying too hard at all!

 

Blogger Zeitgeist said ... (10:16 AM) : 

Why do I have such an obsession with YSL wood heels lately? Oh so shamefully beautiful the way the YSL complements the look

 

Blogger laia. said ... (10:16 AM) : 

These women look really great, really rich and even though they are swathed in designer clothes they don't look like they're trying hard at all.

I just love this city!

(And I W A N T those YSL shoes!)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:30 AM) : 

The heels that women in the last few pictures are wearing make my feet hurt just looking. Those heels are completely crippling, though they make the women's legs look longer and thinner. Why are western (liberated ) women still wearing things that are utterly uncomfortable to say the least, as compared to men's outfits? I am from South Asia where most women wear flat shoes or flipflops even with formal clothes - these 4-inch heels with platforms make a burkha (full veil) in 90 degree weather or a Victorian corset seem less oppressive.

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (10:34 AM) : 

They both look great! My favourite is the girl on the left, she looks amazing! Her grey coat is so beautiful!

 

Blogger Annie Wright said ... (10:48 AM) : 

I think the problem with the lady on the right is the fur collar. It makes her look matronly...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:05 AM) : 

Another woman wearing sandals in December! What's the temperature in N.Y? In Toronto it was freezing yesterday, snowing today - no sandals in sight, and just as well! I'm not in favour of a frostbite for the sake of fashion. The grey coat, legs and shoes - fabulous!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:11 AM) : 

they are both fabulous. i sorta wish the woman on the right had closed toed shoes on instead, but that's just what I would have done (if i could afford her clothes).

 

Blogger Nor said ... (11:15 AM) : 

Women like this exist? How fabulous! Let me at New York!

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (11:18 AM) : 

For Anon 10:30
So are you making people from a culture different than yours wrong?

Just maybe there is more to the world than what you see in your own backyard

annie
the fur collar is the best thing

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (11:24 AM) : 

To anon:
Women wear high heels because it makes their legs look fantastic! Don't judge!
I LOVE the YSL round heel shoes and the woman on the right's MJ print dress, although bare legs in NY seem too chilly with the fur collar. At any rate, they both look great without being too fashion victim-y.

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (11:35 AM) : 

Incredible photo, Scott! I don't want to take anything away from the young woman on the left, but I think this pic is all about the young lady on the right. She looks amazing! Those shoes, those legs (wow!), the bag, that coat, the fur collar... She exudes class, individualism, and elegance. And I detect a hint of mischief in her smile, which makes her all the more beguiling. Great photo.

 

Blogger Annie Wright said ... (11:46 AM) : 

Sart,

You're wrong about the fur collar. Look at the faces: these women are close in age. The collar creates and instant mother-and-daughter effect.

 

Blogger MARIA H said ... (11:58 AM) : 

To the ones opposed to high heels: Personal choice come's to mind. It is not mandatory to wear anything here in states. And some good (sometimes very expensive) heels are super comfortable. Please understand that freedom is one of the elements in fashion.

 

Blogger The Vintagent said ... (11:59 AM) : 

No Smurfs were harmed in the making of this coat... I love the BLUE fur collar, it makes the whole outfit for me, which otherwise could have been just another Marc Jacobs statement. The woman in grey looks very comfortable in her clothes, which is really nice to see, and yes those YSL shoes are THE shoes of the season. That's why I bought my wife a pair, to torture her and keep her bound (HA! she loves them, and they do make her legs look great. They are '2 hour shoes' though...she has an identical pair with 3" heels - found at Barney's - which are 'all-day' shoes).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:31 PM) : 

This two women are the perfect image of NYC!!! Diversity, contrast, imagination and poise. Sexy angels of NYC never end to fascinate me.
Never mind that the woman on the right is a fashion victim and the girl on the left can smile with those YSL shoes that look extra uncomfortable. Is all irrelevant because they still look happy and fabulous!!!!
Sart you are my fashion hero.
Your blog is the best place of the fashion industry in a way is the space where style meets philosophy and sociology, bravo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:01 PM) : 

Of course sandals are practical in cold weather if your car is waiting for you! And heels too! I am a NYer who walks everywhere and takes trains, buses, as well as cabs, and if I wear heels, I carry them and change at my destination. Not practical for the masses (as much as I hate to admit that I am part of them). The woman on the right is wearing Marc Jacobs sandals from last fall. I bought them in Bergdorfs for an event and returned them because I could not walk in them! But I saw them on Carine Roitfeld and had to have them. She's my age and was walking in them just fine! So we are not all equal when it comes to heels.

 

Blogger shabnom said ... (1:41 PM) : 

I like the sandals myself, I have worn peeptoes in winter before and I was fine. I must say I loved the BLUE fur collar and the print dress (and... come on... there is NOTHING wrong with the way she is posing). I love that she is all about colour/print/metallic whilst her friend is working the cut of her clothes and hair and the simple colours. They don't match at ALL, it's great.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:50 PM) : 

Sart,
Regarding high heels: You misunderstand, I am not making people from a different culture wrong. I am simply questioning an element of mens versus womens clothes, especially street clothes. I agree that high heels do make a woman's legs look fabulous, but then corsets also made a woman's waist look tiny and beautiful. Historically, people questioned the sense of wearing corsets and abandoned them. And men with long legs look pretty good too- why don't they start wearing heels too?
I do believe that these women are "choosing" to wear them of course, nobody is forcing them. At the same time there is this idea with womens clothes that being glamorous and stylish means sacrificing comfort to some extent. With men, they never have to make this choice between style and comfort- they can have both by default. Does nobody see this disparity and question it?
That said, I do think that both those coats are utterly fabulous, and it is such a good idea to photograph them together- the contrast in the length and shape brings both into focus much better than if the women had been photographed separately.

 

Blogger Miss M said ... (1:58 PM) : 

i really dislike the blue coated women's dress neckline. the proportions it create are so disjointed (and not in a good way). maybe the dress without the coat? i'd have to see but nothing seems to work together at all.

on the other hand the woman in the gray looks dashing, i love to see the larger sized coat with great shoulders. her shoes are perfect for fall/winter. open toes make me cringe in the daytime.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:07 PM) : 

I agree with you, Anonymous. No, I don't imagine women wearing these shoes have had literal guns held to their heads forcing them to do so, but it's naive to deny social pressure affects everything we do.

High heels -- the higher and more implicitly self-punishing, the better -- are the shoes to wear in the West if you want to be a sexy, leggy woman.

A lot rides on whether you fit into that category, from baseline respect and acknowledgment to bigger status statements. I'm sure plenty of anthropologists have already made the link between high heels and foot-binding.

 

Blogger Alana in Canada said ... (3:11 PM) : 

It's true we dop have a choice about what we wear. Thank heavens. But as I keep looking at Barbie doll toes, I keep wishing "someone" with panache would come along and start wearing sensible heels and then all of us sheep would have someone to follow.Those shoes on the left look like stilts with those heels.

Are these women the same age? I don't really think so. The woman on the right is older--and it isn't the fur collar!

I love that skirt peeking out from the coat.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:37 PM) : 

Not liking anything here EXCEPT there's an extreme need to see the entire dress for Mlle in blue.

mltt

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:14 PM) : 

I agree on the presentation aging these two differently, but I think it's not just the collar but the hair and the earrings on the lady on the right.

Mind you, I also don't think it's a bad thing to look one's age, so I don't think it's a bad choice, so long as it's a choice.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:27 PM) : 

Two photos of a blue coat... and I have been crazy about blue coats lately. This one is fabulous.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:46 PM) : 

For those who want to see the whole dress it's here at Neiman Marcus (on sale btw).

Marc Jacobs dress

I've loved the dress since I first saw it - but I really think the woman overdid it with the accessories and coat. Just my opinion though.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:11 PM) : 

I don't think it's the fur collar that makes her look older, but maybe the hair, earrings and bag. They're so ladylike. Think of Maria Schneider wearing a fur collared coat in Last Tango in Paris...and a wide brimmed hat with curls peeking out. Matronly she was not.

 

Blogger karinee said ... (6:56 PM) : 

I love the right woman's post. The hand looks very tactfully set (imo).

Those shoes are to die for.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:57 PM) : 

I agree with the other anonymous commenter - I dislike high heels. She is by no means expressing an intolerant view; if not a "problem," the discrepancy between men's and women's clothing is definitely a legitimate "issue." Though the choice to wear them or not is mine, there are certain situations when not wearing heels is like making some drastic statement about my femininity. I, too, see it as unfortunate that we women still adopt clothing and mannerisms that were originally meant to convey our status as the "weaker sex." I think the women are lovely, but at the same time, I am aware that I have been trained to see them as such.

 

Blogger Kate C. said ... (8:15 PM) : 

I LOVE the sandals sans stockings for winter. Hardcore.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:45 PM) : 

The woman on the left, I like her look. The one on the right, I think her coat is too long to wear with the shoes. I'd love to have her bag.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:58 AM) : 

I'm noticing a seasonal attraction - in December you love blue/grey/brown combinations

(e.g. http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/4686/1648/1600/311311/PurReddress.jpg
http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/4686/1648/1600/741970/ChloeFull.jpg)

Every December I feel the need to make beef bourguignon (I'm a chef). Somehow it seems similar.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:51 AM) : 

Heels are more comfortable to me. Hers are great. I love it to now, how shoe designers are making these extra high heels with the hidden platform in the front....which means extra padding....these look like they have them. I always buy those shoe pads for heels and it rocks. I bought a pair of flat boots from jcrew and i couldn't walk right. It was like having canoes on. I think because I've a high arche from ballet? For some women heels are more comfortable. My mom's the same way. Plus I'm a girl. I don't care what anyone says. Girls are different from boys. We should have different things to wear. BTW men used wear heels in marie antoinette's day. There was a time when women weren't allowed to wear them.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:10 AM) : 

love their shoes!! oops, i meant their heels!! i dont care wht anyone says but heels are the best!! even though u may be tall.

it kinda suck that my friends would always whine whn i wear one or twice inch heels to school. i;m 5'6, hardly considered tall but they would always complain!!

sart. tell me, how should i retort? i love my friends and i love my heels. dont wna give up either)):

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:33 AM) : 

Regarding high heels: I have no objection to individual women wearing high heels if they want to. But I do object to women in high heels being automatically seen as more stylish than women in flat shoes, as is often the case. On the part of women, I think that it reflects a laziness, or unwillingness to be more creative- the easiest way for a woman to upgrade an outfit is to wear high heels because of the automatic association between high heels and elegance. I have done it myself. But I admire a woman who can play with the proportions of other elements of her outfit in order to achieve the same effect of proportion, elegance and grace that high heels give- there are several examples of that on this blog too. Men's clothes do it all the time and we never think about it. I brought up this issue since I think it is similar to the post a few days ago about whether a woman's clothes should always enhance her feminine form- it is all about breaking preconceived notions, as Sart pointed out. And I got immediately labeled as someone who "cannot see beyond her own backyard". I am hurt Sart :).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:12 PM) : 

Heels that high are a health hazard. I see no difference between wearing heels that would impair your ability to escape a fire, an out-of-control car, a mugger, or something as catastrophic as 9-11, and smoking cigarettes. Both are lifestyle choices. Both are dangerous.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:15 PM) : 

The woman on the right is great (though I could do without the bag)- she took a runway look from Marc Jacob and made it completely her own. I disagree with several people who said she overdid it- her accessories and coat transform the look to suit her own age and personality.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:23 PM) : 

The woman on the left looks great -- happy and confident. The woman on the right, well...I love each of the things she is wearing individually but when it's all piled up together just looks too overworked. Having said that, the dress she's wearing underneath looks like a real stunner. Marc Jacobs?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:50 PM) : 

The gray coat is lovely. It also looks like it is two pieces, that can be worn cropped or as a longer coat or maybe jumper dress. Its fantastic and simple and elegant. I love the shades of blue with the red on the woman on the right. I think less distracting shoes and bag would work better though.

 

Blogger Asi Mod said ... (3:40 PM) : 

I love the colors and layering effect on the woman (left) but what I love most is the length of the skirt and jacket. They make her legs look a mile long.

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (5:32 PM) : 

For those anonymous commenters who don't like women is high heels:
Women and men dress differently because they ARE different! And I'm glad about that. I'm a woman who loves high heels and I take care to buy the right ones and they feel confortable. If I need to I can run with heels, so sometimes they may not look confortable, but I can tell you they good ones are really confortable!

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (6:15 PM) : 

For Anon 10:33
I would only have said it if you were making them seem wrong for their choices.

You can follow any ideology you want but don't make other wrong for theirs

All I know is my wife says some of her heels are very comfortable and some are not which sounds the same a my shoe situation

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (6:21 PM) : 

For Anon 12:12
I'm sure you look great in your bullet-proof lifevest.

good luck out there

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:41 PM) : 

IMO..ladies who can walk in high HIGH heels = talent!
i'm so envious as i'm a total clutz and have to be content with wearing kitten heals...! hehe

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:38 PM) : 

I don't need luck; I have brains.

Anon 12:12

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:41 AM) : 

with regard to the discussion on heels, I thought fashion was about looking good, any political comment is out of bounds if you ask me

The bottom line is there are many ways a woman can look fashionably good with or without wearing heels. This has nothing to do with feminism or politics except to the extent that we are talking about freedom of expression.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:31 AM) : 

Am I the only one who feels like this is not a picture of two women with great personal style, but simply two women who can afford expensive clothes?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:40 AM) : 

The woman's YSL shoes are amazing - they look great!

 

Blogger MARIA H said ... (12:06 PM) : 

Heels: Gender and politics are very close in many aspects. If you can assume heels with all "risks" and "attitude" and "limitations" attached, then what is the problem; it is a personal choice.
I can not displace my self miles in heels. But I do not devote my time to walk around. If I need to walk a lot one given day then I actually wear my Frye boots, that in fact are very masculine. Not for that I feel more empowered or disempowered. It is a matter of activities and again how comfortable the choice you make is with your take on "gender politics".

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:23 PM) : 

for anon 5:41 : i think fashion is about looking good, but it is also tied very tightly to politics. it's is a reflection of peoples opinions, attitudes, prejudices, social aspirations, whether you want to be part of a group, or dissociate yourself from a group, etc. etc. Of course it is also about looking good and having fun with it. but the wearers personality comes through whether the wearer is aware of it or not.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:16 PM) : 

i am so glad anonymous @10:30 made her comment. i totally agree with her. it's not just about the women in these pictures having the choice or not. i love fashion, but i don't like heels, and the fact is, in the fashion mags i buy, the vast majority of shoes shown are heels. it is SO frustrating to a person who doesn't like to wear heels but loves fashion, that "fashionable" is made to equate with wearing heels.

same things in the stores. i have been trying to find a nice pair of closed-toed lace-up shoes (oxfords) to wear to work this winter. it's next to impossible! either they're super-clunky "comfort" shoes (ugh) or they're super-fashiony and out of my budget (robert clergerie, etc). regardless, there simply is not the range of choice as there is if i wanted to buy heels. i think it's totally ridiculous. wear your heels if you want them, but women like me should be able to have some semblance of choice as well. i'm so grateful flats came "back into fashion" a couple of years ago. and (flat) boots too. people have suggested i shop in the mens' dept., but the mens shoes are styled in a way that i don't like. i want a pair of oxfords designed for a woman damn it!!

and to those who say that fashion isn't political - do you ever wear pants or jeans? well if you do, you better darn well be aware that you can because of very political, controversial choices made women in the past. fashion most definitely IS political.

 

Blogger Panda said ... (6:25 PM) : 

alana in Canada, I think that person should be you! Go for it girl! I just looked at this picture and saw two beautiful ladies. They might not be wearing something I'd choose for myself, but I don't care. They look great.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:52 AM) : 

I think the woman on the left looks cute and modern while the woman on the right seems to be channeling her grandmother. Perhaps it is just the way she is holding her handbag that is doing that for me. As for the heels...all power to whomever can navigate the streets of any city while wearing them for long periods of time. I sit back in pure envy as I fear I just can't do that anymore. She looks great, but I think her feet hurt.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:15 AM) : 

about the alleged new visibility of Bags : don't you think their XXL size could be a factor ;-) ?

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (9:08 AM) : 

anniejayne

what makes you say that?

I have shot both of these young ladies often and each time they look great regardless of how much or how little they have spent.

Question?
Regardless of price, can't you look at an image and get something about color or shape or proportion?
that doesn't cost any money, you could do Tracy's look straight from a vintage store and send very little - that is called inspiration

 

Blogger Chloe said ... (9:29 AM) : 

This reminds me of Montreal: women wear winter coats with flipflops, but with much less style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:03 AM) : 

Blue Coat lady: you're kind of on the dwarfish side, so you should wear clothes that actually fit. The hair color is slightly green too - no?
I'm getting Eleanor Roosevelt meets Jack Lemon

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:56 PM) : 

woman on the left is classy fabulous and in her simplicity out does the woman to right by her seemless pairings and young appeal kudos to her

and its the fur collar with bare legs that is throwing me on the lady to the right...its so busy and distracting...but its still interesting

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:50 PM) : 

I have those YSL shoes and they are surprisingly comfortable, as long as you aren't walking miles.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:19 PM) : 

Both ladies look stunning but I just can't get with the open toe shoes, in broad daylight in the winter. Like white after labor day it is just wrong and I know we have come to accept the whole white after labor day thing but I can't let it go.

PS- sign me up for a pair of those YSL's!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:17 AM) : 

It's clearly winter time and the woman on the right is wearing open shoes. The shoes maybe nice but the timing is not quite right. She would've been very classy with simple black stilettos, especially Christian Louboutins..

 

Blogger Rachel Michaela aka Stylebites said ... (8:01 PM) : 

Isn't that Tracy Taylor from Marie Claire on the right or am I smoking crack?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:33 AM) : 

I like this coat!! I also bought very nice coat from Brooks Brothers store through couponalbum.com at discounted price...

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting