This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street...Updated Poncho, Pitti Uomo

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, January 28, 2008

On the Street...Updated Poncho, Pitti Uomo

Comments on "On the Street...Updated Poncho, Pitti Uomo"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:04 PM) : 

I don't know why but I really like this. He reminds me vaguely of a Renaissance merchant or something...
I usually don't like short pants, but I'm really into those argyle socks! And the way his shoes are laced...

Somehow I think this outfit could work for girls as well...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:41 PM) : 

The Return of Martin Guerre!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:10 PM) : 

WHERE DID YOU GET THAT FABULOUS PONCHO?!?!?!? ANYONE HAVE A CLUE?

 

Blogger AdamfromVA said ... (9:13 PM) : 

just dont like it, urban poncho? shoes are silly and sloppy. pants are too tight and dont come down far enough

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:19 PM) : 

um....HOW AMAZING IS THIS PHOTOGRAPH???!?!?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:25 PM) : 

this picture could well be hung with the others at the Danziger gallery. Congratulations!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:34 PM) : 

i like the shoes and socks
the sweater looks nice
i just don't get the pants and poncho.

 

Blogger Keystofer said ... (11:00 PM) : 

L-O-V-E it!!! The socks were perfect to cheer up an otherwise somber look... ;-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:21 PM) : 

I don't get it Sart. This guy just looks a mess. And the poncho is horrible.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:22 PM) : 

After the rash of downright unpleasant comments about the previously posted photo of Mr. Inglese, who IMO looks rather dapper and neat, I hate to think of the vitriol commenters might heap upon this gentleman's sartorial choices, clearly neither dapper nor neat.

Let's hope not. I hope that tone of the conversation we enjoy here owing to The Sartorialist's and his subjects' generosity and creativity can concern itself with cogent explanations of differing viewpoints about style, rather than summary judgments and mean-spirited criticism. I hope we can all try to communicate what we like or don't like about these often compelling images, and *why*, so that we can all experience a broader understanding.

To that point, IMO this gentleman's skinny trousers, while clearly worn deliberately short, look rather juvenile accompanied by multicoloured argyle socks and canvas plimsoles. I assume this effect is intentional. But a certain dissonance arises from the mismatching effect of larky trousers and socks with a dramatic sweeping cape-like poncho and romantic flowing locks.

Sart often implores us to focus on the strong element depicted rather than passing judgment on a total look, and so I'll focus praise on the great-looking cloak and ignore the rather immature too-short trousers. Perhaps the gentleman will find a pair of sturdy boots that will do his grand outerwear justice.

 

Blogger Richard said ... (11:38 PM) : 

I am speechless, but not in a good way.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:48 PM) : 

I love it ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:07 AM) : 

The background is spectacular but whenever I feel I really don't like something on this site I attribute it to my age and probable generation gap.

So to be polite I concede that I am probably well out of touch with young people, That said, if I saw this young man out of the streets, I suspect I would wonder if he was down on this luck.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:08 AM) : 

From the ankles up, he looks like an extra from Lord of the Rings.
(I'm sure there will be a lot of comments in this vein.)
I do like the purple socks and blue shoes.

 

Blogger charinthecity said ... (12:24 AM) : 

A bit Lord of the Rings asides from the footwear... now with some boots, maybe?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:02 AM) : 

This is an insanely good photograph! Bravo!!!

 

Blogger The Vintagent said ... (1:26 AM) : 

He had me until I got to the shoes...I was thinking Clint Eastwood from 'The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly' until then. Long stringy hair, big poncho, somber look. I like the poncho, but would have preferred some boots to add weight to the look. I like the trainers in themselves though - nice color with the argyle socks!

 

Blogger couch_fashionista said ... (1:45 AM) : 

Scary guy, scarier outfit... But the beautiful receding lines in the background make for an interesting photo. Wonder if it's okay for a woman over 30 to wear her skinny pants like this -- above the ankle, with sneakers and crazy socks!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:04 AM) : 

is this marc newson? if he isn't, he sure looks an awful lot like him.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:21 AM) : 

looks like a bicycle courier...

 

Blogger gabrielazeanadal@hotmail.com said ... (3:33 AM) : 

Interesting. He reminds me of a modern version of one of those adventurous man that went to discover the jungles.

That sleeved poncho does have a point. I also like the greenish combers with those socks. And, I must say, what a beautiful hands he has!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:41 AM) : 

I like the poncho very much, but not the trousers and the shoes, unfortunately. The face is incredible!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:42 AM) : 

Maybe I'm being overly critical, but this looks extremely pretentious to me.

Maybe it's because I went to art school and dudes would roam around campus looking like this to prove they were odd and make sure everyone knew it.

This man is obviously not afraid to take risks though, so kudos and I think he had potential to get it just right.

IF it were me, I would lose the longer sleeved garment under the poncho, wear longer pants, ditch the socks altogether and adopt a more structured shoe. maybe a loafer kind of thing, without socks, skinny black pants and the poncho with short sleeves. Could work as a cool summer night thing. Summer camp!

I digress..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:40 AM) : 

Very interesting staicase, The rigor of it versus the negligence of the subject,powerful contrast.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:22 AM) : 

A beautiful photo of a beautiful man... A real strong man in both appearance and obviously character.

Such a shame so many of the people on here are scared of those who don't fit into the generic fashion boxes.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:28 AM) : 

Aragorn meets space age staircase. Ok it is a bit art school, but we can't wear pinstripe *all* the time. I love the power of his stance.

And, fellow readers, enough with the negative judgemental comments please! You don't have to love it, but please don't be mean

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:29 AM) : 

Sometimes I think the Sart likes how we "dress the world" as much as how we dress ourselves. Here the white stubbed ends of his shoes mirror the white stubbed ends of the stairs and he, a handsome, if somewhat bedraggled, counterpoint to the rigid architecture. How much you love people! So grateful.

 

Blogger Post-it boy said ... (9:27 AM) : 

This image packs a poncho

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:45 AM) : 

Mountain Man... Grizzly Adams... it's all the same.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:53 AM) : 

WOW! Peasant chic. Dirty, wet hair, artist's mystery, it could only get better if he wore less modern shoes and had something tattered and battered in leather, maybe splattered with paint!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:21 PM) : 

Love the background – and the poncho – but what is up with the sneakers? I see how they match the stairs but outside of that I think boots would have looked better. I mean, what's the point of covering up with a poncho if your shoes are going to get wet?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:09 PM) : 

as an architect, much of the delight i find in your photos is seeing how the backgrounds behind your characters shape what they wear and how they are perceived. many times the environment seens to set off the person much more than the clothes. the attention to detail in this modern facade and staircase has set an incredible backdrop for this man.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:45 PM) : 

Aside from the Vigo Mortensenesk guy this is a great photo. And art or not art student the guy is hot, Bravo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:07 AM) : 

I love the poncho oh him, but I have to admit that not everyone can pull it off. I also love how the architectural lines continuously integrate with the flow of steps in the background.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:05 PM) : 

The perfect mix of Conquistador and Robin Hood. With a really hot, unapologetically masculine stance. Bravo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:33 AM) : 

This is one of those rare photos that makes me want to know more about him and his life. He just looks so...mysterious? Magical? Fascinating. I love that there are men in the world who will put together, and walk about town in, an ensemble like this.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting