This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Guess What I Did Yesterday...

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Guess What I Did Yesterday...

I was shot for one of those "Gap Icon" ads for Fall '08.

I was asked about a month ago and it has been so hard to keep from announcing it on the blog.

Talk about an all-star production, Mikael Jansson - Photographer, Karl Templer - Stylist, Trey Laird - Creative Director and Patron of the Arts

As you can imagine I have been running and working-out trying to get in shape for the shoot (didn't help).

If you have seen me around the city looking a little scruffy the last few weeks, its because I was asked not to cut my hair or shave so the hair and make-up would have something to work with when I got there.

During that time a few of my friends asked "what's with the puffy hair?"
"Secret project" I replied - I felt like Tom Hanks while he was shooting "Castaway" and everyone thought he was shooting a Civil War flick (not quite that dramatic but you get the idea)


Mikael Jansson and Trey Laird

The wardrobe room with a small selection of shoes.

When I was teaching myself photography I would rip-out editorials that I really liked from magazines and would study them for angles, use of natural light, settings, etc.
I still have one entire binder for editorials by Mikael Jansson.
As excited as I was just to be in the ad I was equally excited to by shot by THE Mikael Jansson.

My only fear was that I would be a nightmare to shoot.

A photographer shooting another photographer is never easy.

I kept imagining myself throughout the shoot saying "what lens are you using?" , "what's settings are you using?", "why are you lighting that way?", "does my face make my neck look fat?".

I think when I did finally speak to him, all I was able to get out was a very Ralph Wiggum-ish "I like to eat paste" - i kinda kept quiet after that.

Reviewing the images.
I swear that they are not laughing AT the pictures of me, they are laughing WITH the pictures of me.

The review board


Mr. Eugene Souleiman and his skull scissors.
I was going to ask him if he had a name for those special scissors but I was afraid he would say "The Accidental Van Gogh" so I didn't ask.
I usually use Aveda pomade but Eugene used this stuff called Magic Move and it was really great (and tastes much better than paste - crap, I didn't mean to type that out loud).
You can buy it at Ricky's here in NYC.

The other reason I am happy to be in the ads ,this particular season, is quite simple - the Gap is back.
If you look back at the archives to May 2007 I announced it then that signing Patrick Robinson ,to head design, was going to be the move that turned the company around.
With the new delivery thats just hitting the floor now, you are starting to see hints of his effect. The Fall 2008 collection, however, really brings back a strong fashion element to Gap.

It is like having an old friend back.

Comments on "Guess What I Did Yesterday..."

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:09 AM) : 

Thanks for detailing the experience here.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:11 AM) : 

I've always wondered why folks like the GAP go so cookie-cutter with their ads and the like; they most certainly would benefit from a les brand-centric and more style-focused approach (style in The Sartorialist sense of the word, of course)... a twist here, a scarf there. Perhaps the GAP and its designers are picking up on that?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:15 AM) : 

I cannot wait to see the results! What fun!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:26 AM) : 

Congrats Scott! That's amazing. It was great meeting you while you were down in DC ... enjoy the success -- you deserve it.

 

Blogger AsianCajuns said ... (10:27 AM) : 

Oh, we can't wait to see your ad! We've liked the Icon Gap ads so-so, there just always seemed to be something missing... it must've been The Sartorialist!
Thanks for the behind-the-scene peek, and your usual glorious photos!

 

Blogger Sam said ... (10:27 AM) : 

This is pretty cool. And great use of a Wiggumism!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:33 AM) : 

congratulations -- it must be so exciting to meet someone that you yourself admire. so cool

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:41 AM) : 

I wan't to se the results now :)! and having your pictures taken by mikael jansson?? wow!! He's awesome! And he's swedish just like me...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:43 AM) : 

This post made me smile.

I like your blog even more when you add details about what´s happening in your life as well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:47 AM) : 

wooo hooo, sartorialist! look at you! im looking forward to seeing the ads. i love the gap ... i love how it continues to reinvent itself over and over, and has remained such a constant in basic US fashion at the same time. ... makes sense that you are able to be a part of that!

(love the ralphie reference ... so cute)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:50 AM) : 

great behind the scenes stuff and looking forward to see the GAP ad. ^_^


K

 

Blogger J said ... (10:50 AM) : 

Sart you rock star! I can't wait to see the results.

 

Blogger Cacey said ... (10:56 AM) : 

Where and when will we be able to see the pictures? I'm really happy for you : ) And I liked this post a lot. Got to see a little more of your personality. Very Fun!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:00 AM) : 

Thanks so much for the delicious behind the scenes look at a GAP photo shoot! Can't wait to see the results.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:00 AM) : 

How fun! The Gap is very hit or miss for me lately and mostly "miss" I'm sorry to say - I hope they will get it together with Patrick Robinson. Whatever is in the store though, the ads are always great and I look forward to seeing you in the mags!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:07 AM) : 

Congrats Sart!! I SO can't wait to see the ads. This is AWESOME!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:07 AM) : 

In your workout efforts, was that you I spotted on the river running/biking path one morning a week or two ago? I was too unsure and too shy to say hello and how great the blog is.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:19 AM) : 

it's fun that lately your blog has more variety. The insight of your experiences is what keeps viewers coming back.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:20 AM) : 

I love the gap ads.. i think your a perfect selection for one of their icons.
and the blog is fantastic. It has renewed my appreciation of the many characters we see on the streets of NYC everyday. brilliant.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:22 AM) : 

Cool post. I love that you're finding this happiness in life. I've been a little depressed lately, and this cheers me up somewhat. (Sounds stupid, I know.)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:22 AM) : 

So exciting!! I can't wait to see you in the ads! This is a hilarious account of your day...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:27 AM) : 

I love your blog and I enjoy it even more when you add personal stories. Though I know the blog isn't about spilling your guts to all of us, a few drops here and there are priceless! Thanks Sart!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:33 AM) : 

What a great story Scott, thank you for sharing it with us :). I hope you'll post some ads here, on the blog, I live sooooo faaaaar away from the US that I may not have the opportunity to see any of them, unless they will appear on the Gap site.
Big, big congratulations! Wow... quite surprising, these news :))

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:56 AM) : 

Poor Gap. Back to the Icon campaign. Sales are down, comp stores are down, re-hashed advertising. (Hmm..will there a six page insert in Vanity Fair and other Conde pubs?) and dull apparel. Retailer continues to be an American Brand Tragedy. When will someone pitch the story to Random House.

 

Blogger Thomas said ... (12:01 PM) : 

Finding a Ralph Wiggum reference on The Sartorialist is like finding foie gras in your already amazing omelette. I suppose I've developed an opinion of you based solely on these photos.

You are more than deserving of this honour. Now to work out how I can steal a poster...

 

Blogger Kristine said ... (12:02 PM) : 

This is SO cool!
Congratulations!

 

Blogger Lauren said ... (12:05 PM) : 

That's awesome! Congratulations! It's nice seeing a behind the scenes look at the photo shoot. Post the ad once it comes out!

 

Blogger ES said ... (12:15 PM) : 

What fun! I cannot wait to see your ad. I will totally save it.

There is a full on story about Mr.Robinson in this months Vogue. It wasn't long enough. I am fascinated with him. I am excited that the GAP is on its way back.

*fingers crossed*

 

Blogger Gallivanter said ... (12:19 PM) : 

Congrats! It's going to be interesting to see how your photo comes out!

 

Blogger Scent Hive said ... (12:22 PM) : 

Congrats! (Love your "paste" comment BTW. Made me laugh this morning and I really needed a laugh.)

Cheers!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:30 PM) : 

That was absolute pleasure to read - thanks for sharing. The GAP is back!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:44 PM) : 

Thanks for this post!

Your photos are of course gorgeous - novice photographers are already bookmarking your pages to study angles, lighting, and settings I'm sure - but I keep coming back for your witty and humble insight.

 

Blogger Paul Pincus said ... (12:56 PM) : 

this is really cool...congratulations!

ps i think two of my all time favourites from this series were bethann hardison laughing and tina chow.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:01 PM) : 

Ok, I know this is going to sound dorky, but I'm so proud of you! Your successes have been so well earned and deserved, and being a blog reader, you really can't help but feel that it's happening to a friend of yours. Congrats on all of your success and here's to an even better future!

Christi M.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:01 PM) : 

It has been so great watching this project blossom. You have an amazing eye and I'm thrilled to see your scope and sphere and reputation explode. Congrats.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (1:05 PM) : 

for anon 11:56

good to hear from you H&M!

 

Blogger stacy said ... (1:21 PM) : 

way to go my friend!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:22 PM) : 

Wow, congratulations, Sart! I just got my first SLR and I hope one day I have your eye for photography!

Your commentary is hilarious in this post.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:32 PM) : 

There was a stylist? There was a wardrobe? It's a... MAKEOVER!
Just kidding. I couldn't resist with all the fuss that was made over the suggestion of a makeover for Phoenix.
Just goes to show that this sort of thing (clothing/styling) suggestions are routine. They only vary based on the degree of change.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:44 PM) : 

Why has no one mentioned that perhaps a line has been crossed here? We may be in the era of "New Journalism" via the blogs, but, hey, journalistic standards should still apply. Multiple levels of "remuneration" in this instance. Not to mention, if you hadn't touted up the Robinson/Gap pairing before, or had been negative about it, would the "icon" offer still have been made?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:14 PM) : 

that is so exciting. mazel tov!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:14 PM) : 

Congrats! I can't wait to see the ad, and the Simpsons reference in this post made me smile. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:31 PM) : 

just when i think you couldn't be cuter you have to go and quote ralph...congratulations!

 

Blogger Yi said ... (3:19 PM) : 

You have the best job in the world.. CAN I WORK FOR YOU?

 

Blogger MWM said ... (3:26 PM) : 

I'm looking forward to seeing the ad.
And I can't agree more about the Gap. I just received my Phillip Lim Gap shirt and it is fantastic.

 

Blogger Celia said ... (3:41 PM) : 

How exciting! The Gap has been nothing short of disappointing for me the last few years...now I'll finally have a reason to go into the store, even if it's only to steal a poster of Sart.

Like foie gras in an omlette? Thomas, you read my mind.

 

Blogger Disneyrollergirl.net said ... (3:56 PM) : 

Oh my god I would have been SICK with excitement, how on earth did you keep it a secret?! So, they still use Polaroid? Good to know that. I've always loved Gap's aesthetic, what a great experience for you, bet you are still pinching yourself, I know I would be!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:01 PM) : 

That's ok then...I was very worried that poor Phoenix was hiding in a basement somewhere waiting for her misjudged makeover haircut to grow back out, but it turns out you've just been busy, and that's why you haven't posted her photo yet. Right?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:03 PM) : 

That was fun! Thanks so much for taking me behind the scenes and for sharing your Wiggum moment. Jansson is a photo god and I would've been equally tongue-tied. Congrats on the ad, I can't wait to see it!

By the way, I bet your kids will be thrilled to see their dad in a Gap ad!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:23 PM) : 

Great, congratulations, Sart! So good to have "old friend" GAP back, too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:57 PM) : 

Thanks for sharing the experience of the shoot with us. I particularly loved the image of the shoes and wardrobe. Looking forward to seeing your picture as part of the GAP Icon campaign, Jorge Perez from West Palm Beach.

 

Blogger Karin said ... (5:10 PM) : 

Iam actually very eager to see the result of your little make-over.. as i have seen a lot of people were upset but i am actually just curious!! any updates?

 

Blogger Miss Cavendish said ... (5:23 PM) : 

Fantastic! Looking forward to seeing the "do" and the scruff.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:53 PM) : 

Scott is gorgeous! I can't wait to see the pictures :)! Those Gap Icon photos are always so minimalist yet memorable.

 

Blogger Nik said ... (6:11 PM) : 

I love the picture of the wardrobe room. So many choices!

Although, hiking boots? I think not.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:32 PM) : 

where are the results from that sartorialist "makeover"?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:12 PM) : 

i'm so happy that the Gap is coming back! it was great to walk into the store the other day and see things that i liked. What a change for them!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:31 PM) : 

i was just in a gap like an hour ago looking for narrow legged chinos where the rise isn't half way to my knees. yeah, no luck. so i'll look forward to a new gap 'cause i don't plan on falling in there again any time soon.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:39 PM) : 

Congratulations!! That's tres exciting. Although, I did go trouncing around downtown yesterday in my Ann Taylor spring dress hoping you'd appear for a snap shot. Oh well...

 

Blogger Secret Agent said ... (7:57 PM) : 

Love The Gap and love their ads. It's awesome that you got to be part of it. You definitely earned it with your innovative talent and hard work. Hmm..."innovative talent"? Does that even make sense?
Thanks for the detailed description of everything. Us nobody's love the behind-the-scene details. Thanks.

 

Blogger la femme said ... (8:44 PM) : 

neat, congrats :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:20 PM) : 

awesome! I loved reading this, your candid remarks are much appreciated. I also love the insight into Gap and the business of photography. Oh, and those skull scissors are soooo cool. I wonder if he only has the one pair and has them sharpened.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:24 PM) : 

What becomes a legend most!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:32 PM) : 

Congrats! You deserve it.

I really enjoy your down to earth approach to life and fashion. Sometimes, and sometimes often, I am a little lost as to what I'm looking at in the photos as far as 'fashion', but you just keep rolling and I tag along.

I'm glad the Gap is back. And am loving the Phillip Lim stuff!

 

Blogger Sin Yee said ... (10:54 PM) : 

Congratulations! What an honour and what fun!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:25 PM) : 

can't agree with you on the comeback.
Current liberty print's and colored chino's are about as mainstream as it get's....BORING!!! i'd also like to see the white shirt design concept GO AWAY....enough already. it's like a bad fashion student project.

anyhoo.

wil pic's of you be for print or bill board? do you know? is it a secret? do i have to wait till august VF?
Have they asked you to consult yet?
you should.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:07 AM) : 

Oh I can't wait for both seeing your photos and the return of Gap. I'll always be impressed with the pretty button-up blouses that are always in the back, with such gorgeous and surprising details and cuts.
I kind of just want to gush over my new blouse really.

Thank you for the behind-the-scenes shots! Can't wait to see the results in person.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:20 AM) : 

Congrats. I like the Gap too and I hope they do make a turn around, but I think the unfortunate truth is that what's in style right now in the 15 to (some times, although it shouldn't be) 35 market is not the Gap. What I see people in this age group wearing are "hoodies" screen prints, torn clothes, and really, trashy, actually. Twenty years ago, this age group was wearing the Gap, today, they are not.

 

Blogger Paolo Manaloto said ... (12:32 AM) : 

heyy! congrats sart! cant wait to see the results of the shoot

 

Blogger Percy Chatsworth said ... (12:51 AM) : 

any hints of what will be in the GAP's fall line for men? ...

 

Blogger benson said ... (1:11 AM) : 

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Great for you! How exciting it must be...I wonder when Gap will do an ad of those bloggers who post really sincere and sweet comments on really COOL sites (that would be yours...)Maybe they'll find me then? (jumping up and down**raising my hand**but yet;looking very bookish and unaffected at any attention given**) Congrats again!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:08 AM) : 

I'm sure this won't get posted, but c'mon -- The Gap?! Do you really want to just chuck out all credibility? The Gap is to clothing what McDonald's is to food -- cheap, bland and bad for you. No, it's worse, because it's manufactured in China, and it's responsible for making everyone look like kasual klones. Being one cut above Old Navy isn't that much of an accomplishment. If this is "sartorialism", I'm a Vermicious Knid.

 

Blogger MELI. said ... (2:48 AM) : 

thanks for sharing this cool behind the scenes experience, for your biggest fans here online! now everyone in the country that has been tucked away (in a time capsule...) from blogcelebrity will get to see you and know the influence of the wonderful internet! congrats mr. sart.

 

Blogger Rachel said ... (2:50 AM) : 

I'm so glad to read that you feel like it's "like having an old friend back." I've been feeling the same way but not knowing how to put it; it's like Gap honestly does represent some aspect of America to me, and steadfast American hippie-roots culture, and seeing it go downhill was remarkably disheartening. Thanks, Patrick Robinson...and congrats, Scott, on your wonderful experience doing an ad! I'll look out for it :)

xo MG
www.amaterialworld.net

 

Blogger Lou said ... (2:53 AM) : 

Great stuff, hope the ads reach the uk as cannot wait to see you! Still lovin what you photograph and what you write. You are a true inspiration for me every morning and on some days give me the will to get out of bed and get dressed in style. Many thanks Sart with warmest wishes Lou x

 

Blogger 3curb said ... (3:01 AM) : 

LOL at the small selection of shoes comment!!!

So now youre a supermodel tsk tsk work it!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:39 AM) : 

yay! congrats!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:55 AM) : 

very exciting... but I really love the image of Mikael Jansson and Trey Laird.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:23 AM) : 

It's fun to be in front of the camera isn't it?

When doing photoshoots, I love the entire set up, the large space, the lights, the cameras, the entire back crew who create the finished image.

I'll be in NYC in a few weeks, can't wait to see in real life, what you've been photographing and writing about all this while! First time to NYC and to the USA. I'm already loving it!

Cheryl Marie Cordeiro

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:13 AM) : 

Good on you! Please post the snap on your blog when its done. I am in Australia and (surprisingly) we don't have Gap down here....we just seem to do our own thing!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:25 AM) : 

Gap clothes look great in the ads. But the fabric they use is mediocre, to be polite. If anyone from Gap is reading this: your target consumers won't mind paying just a little bit more for higher quality fabric. The concept of "designer white shirt" is brilliant. But, the shirts just aren't comfortable. I feel like I'm wearing xerox paper.

 

Blogger Jilly Pfifferling said ... (7:25 AM) : 

You have a great sense of humor Sart! The "I like to paste comment" was pure comedy!

 

Blogger Helen Carter said ... (9:27 AM) : 

Congratulations and thanks for sharing you story.

Extra thanks for supplying me with the best excuse/ catch-phrase ever: "Secret Project."

 

Blogger Barb said ... (9:37 AM) : 

Congratulations Scott! I can't wait to see the ad. Good choice on their part. :-)

 

Blogger Kwana said ... (11:07 AM) : 

This is soooo exciting. I'm a fan, but feel like a friend. I can't wait to see the results. Please share as soon as they are out.
All the best!

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (11:39 AM) : 

How amazing! I'm sure your job is a thing that you really love doing!

 

Blogger Heidi K. Rettig said ... (11:52 AM) : 

Congratulations! But beware - Magic Move gives me zits!! And I'm 37.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:28 PM) : 

I am a die-hard fan of your blog because of its celebration of personal style; not because of its indirect corporate marketing campaigns. I do not read your blog in order to be an unwilling participant in Gap Inc.'s attempts to promote shareholder wealth.

 

Blogger Kat said ... (12:56 PM) : 

Congratulations! I look forward to seeing the ad :)

 

Blogger styleandsubstance said ... (1:45 PM) : 

Sart,

While I love the fact that you got this gig, what I love even more is the HUGE outpouring of love being sent your way. It is so great to see people being SO cool about your success. People say the world is a cold place and I don't want to beleive it. This post reminds me that there are people in the world who say nice things...just to say nice things. Congrats on bring out the best in people.

 

Blogger mette said ... (3:05 PM) : 

What about the makeover thing ? Me too am waiting.

 

Blogger Cristina said ... (3:16 PM) : 

VERY excited about this Gap comeback, and that you will be aiding in it. How exciting that must be! Congratulations.

 

Blogger ita darling. said ... (4:22 PM) : 

The GAP is retail therapy meets comfort food. Great to wander around, fantasize about Sharon Stone shopping there, look at the sale rack wonder why everyone there has faux hawks and then bolt. Better for the thighs than cheese cake, though not quite as comforting as mom's choco chip cookies. Ahhh. Gap. Come back to me!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:41 PM) : 

Will we see your great mug up on billboards?

-- desertwind

 

Blogger ellastica said ... (5:01 PM) : 

holy moly! what an amazing creative team and subject of course!

Mikael is so versatile and is capable of capturing so many different moods.he can go from flashy and provocative to earthy and relaxed to classic and refined. i'm envisioning the later with this,
altho i wouldn't mind some provocation ;)

Eugene. i remember first seeing his work in Harper's Bazaar in the mid-90s. his work is very 'cutting-edge' ha ha. seriously along with guido, i love their rebellious rock'n'roll approach to hair and their personal style..

(btw i love what eugene is wearing. the hat and the new-agey/ blue collar bandana print accent on his t is very cool.)

i always pop into the GAP just to see their latest twist on classic American sportswear. but this is something to get excited about!

congrats! and perhaps some future Sartorialist/GAP collaborations?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:23 PM) : 

excellent... thats awesome you got to work with one of your heroes... and i'm sure he was pleased to work with you...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:33 PM) : 

I realize I enjoy your photos of shoes more than almost anything else you do (with older characters a close second)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:40 PM) : 

I really enjoy the story,Thanks for sharing!!

 

Blogger Danz said ... (9:13 PM) : 

"I like to eat paste" haha you're so funny. It must've been a great experience (the shoot, not eating paste). I hope everything turns out well!


http://fatalfashionattraction.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (9:43 PM) : 

Ok I just read through all that mess hoping to see a photo of you and nothin? All that and I get nothin? Blah.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:31 PM) : 

I always view your page, but never comment becuase I just don't have the time to. I had to applause you on this exciting shoot! I really enjoyed Patrick Robinson at Paco Rabonne and for you to grace the campaign of the GAP makes it even better. I have not bought from the GAP in years due to obvious reasons any reader involved in the fashion industry may suggest. The Gap is such an Americana brand and to see it go obsolete would just not be right. Your views on how the human mind creates their look every day inspires me. To see you recreate the GAP intrigues me, and I can not wait to see the shoot.

 

Blogger 975089 said ... (12:36 AM) : 

"I think when I did finally speak to him, all I was able to get out was a very Ralph Wiggum-ish "I like to eat paste" - i kinda kept quiet after that. "




you are awesome.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:15 AM) : 

It's ON!
This confirms all my suspicions about the Gap. Who didn't love it back in the MD day!?!

Then Gap got Disney-ized, over-expanded, lost its way. It's been 5 long years of the anti-Gap (I'm taking off time for experiment). I revel in the Canadian hire, the stylings of PR and a good Icons shoot. The Gap was all about basics you wear and make your own rather than head-to- toe look. Everyone had Gap in their closet because you could find something that worked. That was the magic.

I don't think it is just about Mr. Robinson or the CDFA collection. It is like the Icon shooting. Gap is all about making it yours!

Sart, I am happy you got a dream come true and you were kind to share with us. But I am happy for all of us who can return to our basics with a twist!

Thanks!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:26 AM) : 

You may not post this comment -- or if you do it will no doubt cause other commenters to label me "jealous" or "a hater" -- but I hope you will, at least, read it. You are now a media figure. When you write something like, "the Gap is back," your readers trust and admire you so much that they not only believe you, but some repeat your statement word for word in their own comments!

What some of them may not be savvy enough to grasp is that you are no longer an unbiased observer in this case: You have appeared in an advertisement for this company. At a newspaper, for instance, reporters are not allowed to accept money, gifts and other considerations from the people and businesses they write about. In an era in which even the New York Times is laying off editorial staffers, it behooves you to at least *think* about this ethical boundary.

I write in sorrow, not anger.

 

Blogger Fashion Tidbits said ... (7:05 AM) : 

can't wait to see the final pic!

 

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said ... (9:00 AM) : 

Wow, Sartorialist, what a fab time you've been having; how exciting! Can't wait to see. It must have been agony keeping it secret.

I'm improving my photography too, like in your memories, so know exactly what you mean, except my camera's broken now. I feel like an arm's been cut off.

I love GAP. Look forward to seeing you.

 

Blogger theballadeer said ... (12:23 PM) : 

You go boy!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:43 PM) : 

Lots of cross promotion here. I expect to see a mention about KFC.

 

Blogger clarissa said ... (3:57 PM) : 

oooh the potential return of the Gap is really exciting. the Phillip Lim white shirt was a really classy item, and I hope that the Gap can return because you're right, it is like an old friend.
and i too enjoyed your photo shoot story - it's always interesting to live vicariously through The Sartorialist!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:19 PM) : 

Nice try GAP...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:47 PM) : 

I come on your blog to see your amazing photos (the best of its' genre), but I find myself even more excited when you write comments or even long stories like this. It's great to get to know the man behind the pictures, even better is it to discover how funny and down to earth you seem. Bravo.

 

Blogger Pearls And Pants said ... (6:15 PM) : 

Congrats sart!
looking forward to seeing you!!

 

Blogger pearlaceous said ... (8:56 PM) : 

Congratulations! This is great! Hope the photos turn to be amazing :)

 

Blogger Liz Lizo said ... (1:36 AM) : 

Can't wait to see them.

 

Blogger Hugh said ... (1:41 AM) : 

hey sart!
does anybody ever say no to you to taking their pics?
cause i definitely want to ask some people i see walking around to take their pics, but worried they'll say no

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (4:36 AM) : 

for Anon 4:26

I am not a journalist
I have always said I shoot what i like and write about what i like

I think that is more honest than anything

blogs are more like editorial pages if anything

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:45 AM) : 

It really takes that many people to put together a little photo shoot?

 

Blogger Olimpia Liberti said ... (3:10 PM) : 

can't wait to see it!!!
the first picture is beautiful! i'm sure that Mikael Jansson will adore it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:15 PM) : 

hey is this guy from sweden? and speaking of sweden....when are you visiting stockholm again?! we miss you!

 

Blogger miznyc said ... (10:56 PM) : 

ooh I'm so excited to see! Congrats on the shoot and the chance to meet one of your icons!

 

Blogger hyacinths said ... (4:16 AM) : 

Hi. I've been reading your blog for the past year now. I'm based in Bombay, India. I love the images you chose to take, and the text that supports them. Your passion for your subject is awe-inspiring!
Congratulations on your success!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:41 AM) : 

like the majority of commenters, what an awesome experience that the Sartorialist was shot for the gap! also being one of those who've watched this blog grow, i say you deserve it :)

& mikael jansson, no less! he is an amazing fashion photographer who also happens to be really nice (& worthy of being photographed himself actually).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:57 PM) : 

Congrats to you Scott Schuman! I agree with people saying that it is interesting to read you as well as see the beautiful pictures you take. This blog has showed me that getting dressed is important every day, and not just on special occasions. It is a way of expressing oneself. I don't mean to talk for you but I think it is absurd that people say that now that you did a photoshoot you aren't entitled to an opinion on GAP. It seems pretty obvious to me that it's because you think GAP has improved that you agreed to do this add. All the best.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:37 PM) : 

Congrats Scott! Keep up the great work!

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (5:55 PM) : 

Fabulous! Can't wait to see this! I love Gap's attitude to photography - their campaigns are so slick - get me every time. Simple compositions, simple lighting - perfect.

 

Blogger Kanani said ... (11:39 AM) : 

You have made me smile.
The Gap ads stand out in my mind as memorable, and I'm pleased they've chosen you for one.

As for the Magic Move ...you cracked me up!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:44 AM) : 

congrats! cant wait to check it out!

btw
can anyone give me some info on
Mikael Jansson glasses?
they're killer.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:27 PM) : 

i concur as subtle elements of fashion are introduced now with Robinson there. sad; however, that the gap ad campaigns reflect brilliance? though the merchandise remains a mash-up of tritely spent basics found within the american apparel niche. love robinson, still not a fan of the grand canyon.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:30 PM) : 

So fun to hear about this! I work retail in a Gap store, so perhaps I'll see your face in some fall 08 in-store marketing? Congrats....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:18 PM) : 

Congrats! I guess they noticed.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:39 PM) : 

I love you! You are truly wonderful to watch and read. Always inspiring, always insightful, always perfectly in tune with your deal. You just rock!

 

Blogger Calenna said ... (5:19 PM) : 

Sart - that's fantastic!! It had been a few weeks since I've been to your blog and I had so much to catch up on. This post really made me happy for you though. I live right next door to a Gap here in NY and I can't wait to see your ad/photos! You definitely deserve a spot in Gap's roster. Also, your post, like many others have said before me, was just a joy to read overall. Totally inspiring. It sounds like you love your work every single day, and it's really inspiring. Take care!

 

Blogger amyw said ... (12:52 PM) : 

Gap's going fashion-forward and I love it. And thanks for the description of your experience at the shoot! Can't wait to see the ads!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:36 PM) : 

thanks for sharing the experience!

And a Wiggumism, too! but what would Peter Griffen say?

 

Blogger DiGertsi said ... (3:57 AM) : 

Could someone tell me where to get those scissors?

 

Anonymous web design India said ... (9:04 AM) : 

very cool post

 

Anonymous web design said ... (8:21 AM) : 

nice post mate.....


web design

 

Anonymous Web Development said ... (1:26 AM) : 

Well Written about your Experienced Story.

 

Anonymous Website Builder said ... (3:58 AM) : 

Thanks for sharing your experience as a photographer.

 

Anonymous web design company ranchi said ... (7:26 AM) : 

Thank for showing the interest....

 

Anonymous search engine optimization services said ... (7:28 AM) : 

what an idea really it's fine

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting