This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....The Look-Alikes, Brooklyn

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

On the Street.....The Look-Alikes, Brooklyn


Wow, some couples really do start to resemble each other.

Eva and Gentry own a great store in Brooklyn at 389 Atlantic Ave. called Butter by EvaGentry.

The store has been around for a while but yesterday was the first time I had ever been there.

What a great surprise, they offer a great edit of Dries Van Noten, Marni, and Rick Owens plus other cool labels and accessories.

I'm gonna have to move Brooklyn into a higher rotation spot on my walk-around choices.

Comments on "On the Street.....The Look-Alikes, Brooklyn"

 

Blogger MARIA H said ... (8:42 AM) : 

Def. not Manhattan carachters,
Their store seems like my kind of retail preference.
You'll be surprised in how much more vibrand brooklyn is compared to Manhattan...
A question: How long have you lived in Manhattan?

 

Blogger Kadria S.G. said ... (8:42 AM) : 

seriously. was it their resemblance that caught your eye?
didn't know guys could wear boots with their jeans tucked in!! I like the curve on the button down cardigan.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:48 AM) : 

BOOTALICIOUS!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:49 AM) : 

Now, y'see, with so much talk about bad boot choices round here lately I find it strange that this guys choice gets the seal of approval, men tucking jeans into this kind of footwear is surely never a good idea, especially in light of the comments a certain other young bootwearer got...

On the other hand, the girl in the floral skirt below is absolute perfection, I can't stop looking at that picture, total french-girl-envy.

 

Blogger wesleyrowell said ... (8:58 AM) : 

in bklyn you should definitely check out ft greene/clinton hill...home to some of the most stylish ppl in the universe!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:18 AM) : 

i agree. you'll find such an eclectic mix of interesting people around the fort green/clinton hill area.

 

Blogger Sam said ... (9:20 AM) : 

Next time you're on Atlantic Avenue pop into Hollander and Lexer, 358 Atlantic Avenue; 718-797-9190. They have a great selection of men's items including Steven Allen, and their own signature tie collection. Plus, the decor is really cool. I also you'd appreciate the eclectic style of the owners. Then dart across the street for a croque monsieur at Bacchus, a Po Boy at Stan's, or a falafel at Bedouin Tent. You think I dig this neighborhood?

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (9:35 AM) : 

They do look like two cute peas in a pod. I love the grey and black, and especially her cardigan.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:45 AM) : 

I just love how they're both a little androgynous. Gender-wise, they seem to meet in the middle, and the whole effect is adorable. Comme Des Garcons meets Ziggy Stardust.

 

Blogger j'taimee said ... (9:58 AM) : 

I agree with Kadria. I didn’t think that tucked boots were a good idea for men (and I still don’t – normally). But this guy does a fair job of it.
I also like the not-so-subtle curve of the buttons on her sweater. If it were buttoned up, I think it would look very “Gibson girl” in style – and sweetly so. But the way she has it open takes the edge off of the “preciousness” of it – makes it more suited to her style.
But I really like her short pants – the fit and detail of the pockets (trouser cut) I really adore.

 

Blogger Rebecca said ... (10:15 AM) : 

I work right near there and I love that store! Atlantic Ave is full over lovely little shops!

 

Blogger marie said ... (10:26 AM) : 

I love her cardigan, so soft and light. His boots? He's so gypsy looking like he should be playing the accordion a nice personal touch with flair...

 

Blogger Danbelgar said ... (10:34 AM) : 

Hello, I go following already almost 3 years, and I believe that you have created a blog that uses as reference to half a world. My big congratulation is honest for your work. I´m sorry for my english.

Multiflyer M.

 

Blogger Danbelgar said ... (10:35 AM) : 

Hello, I go following already almost 3 years, and I believe that you have created a blog that uses as reference to half a world. My big congratulation is honest for your work. I´m sorry for my english.

Multiflyer M.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:35 AM) : 

Sartorialist, you should definitely get your boots out to Fort Greene--sexiest people in the borough (and no, I don't live there).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:11 AM) : 

The gentleman narrowly beats the lady: are you kidding me, those boots are awesome and better yet tucked in. Interesting jeans too. Having said that the lady's boots, cardigan and pants are also great. So maybe it's a tie then.

Energie

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (11:12 AM) : 

Love her (Rick Owens?) cardigan!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:27 AM) : 

They look amazing !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:42 AM) : 

"this guy" is a legend.
tucking in pants into boots a bad thing....thank god i don't take these comments srsly or i wouldn't have any looks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:49 AM) : 

Are you sure they're a couple and not sisters?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:50 AM) : 

Maybe it is a problem with my monitor but I find many of the exposures here too dark to see much detail. They definitely seem to have a "Fleetwood Mac" feel going on.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (12:05 PM) : 

for 11:50

I always have mine on the brightest setting but there is definitely detail in the shadows.

 

Blogger Anne Corrons said ... (12:56 PM) : 

I should also take a look at the Brooklyn stores!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:58 PM) : 

They are like sister and brother. A nice mix and max of clothing, using two colors. The grey knit on the woman is cute. I always seem to like everything in grey.

 

Blogger JO said ... (3:05 PM) : 

WOW that really are rubbing off on eachother!

They look great together!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:31 PM) : 

I love Butter and that neighborhood. By the way, his claim to fame is that he can dyes anything black. Isn't that great! Ha, they even offer the service at Butter. Check out Butter's consignment shop just a few doors down. Amazing. Beats INA anyday, though pricey.

xo J

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:42 PM) : 

they look like the duo fashion designers from PREEN.


K

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:23 PM) : 

love the grey denim and tucked in boots. works very well for him!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:53 PM) : 

does anyone have any information as to what jeans the guy is wearing? i love the exposed deconstructed seam on the inseam!

thanks,
D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:07 PM) : 

Man, you need to venture off the island more. Butter is hardly new and unknown to NYC fashion folks in-the-know. Lucky has been featuring them for years.

Try Noisette in Williamsburg. Bird in Park Slope. Just get off the island more and you will see some very stylish folks.

 

Blogger winst said ... (6:43 PM) : 

They look like fraternal twins... well dressed fraternal twins. I'm going to have to visit this store!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:02 PM) : 

Oh my god.
I absolutely love this picture and the aura of this couple. And of course what they are wearing.
Gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous and filled with character. I won't even break their style down to elements. They have all my respect.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:04 PM) : 

Oh my god.
I absolutely love this picture and the aura of this couple. And of course what they are wearing.
Gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous and filled with character. I won't even break their style down to elements. They have all my respect.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:21 PM) : 

I love his whole outfit, including the jeans tucked in the boots. It totally works for him.

 

Blogger Boutique Mix Fashion said ... (8:08 PM) : 

wow. they do look alike.

 

Blogger David McDougall said ... (8:09 PM) : 

Yes, Fort Greene / Clinton Hill is terrific Sartorialist territory.

Bird in Park Slope is a great shop, as are Stuart & Wright ( apersonal fave for menswear) and Cloth - both in Fort Greene.

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (9:29 PM) : 

If you look closely, all couples in the world either resemble each other or one of the couples resembles his / her relative. It's a fact and it has been proven with computer-science.

'We fall for ourselves'.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:33 PM) : 

My heels are firmly planted in Manhattan, but I do think Brooklyn is the sexiest borough. I just came from the Murakami show at the Brooklyn Museum. Cutest crowd rocking the greatest looks...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:34 PM) : 

What a stylish pair! Is it true that they also have a consignment shop?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:51 PM) : 

very antwerpian eh?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:53 PM) : 

stop hyping up fort green everyone! if you keep it up my rent will go up!! but you do have a point...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:17 PM) : 

My neighborhood. Welcome. Wander down Atlantic Ave and maybe down Smith or Court.
They look great but she isn't so friendly when I go into the store.

 

Blogger Carolyn said ... (10:32 PM) : 

Welcome to Brooklyn!

Go to the Bird on Smith Street too! Smith Street is full of adorable, well dressed store owners and amazing eats! Not to mention some eye catching pedestrians if you go on a nice warm weekend day.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:39 PM) : 

They wouldn't look out of place on the recent CMA red carpet.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:41 PM) : 

the next time you are in brooklyn you should definitely check out the guys at the brooklyn circus. thebkcircus.com/blog

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:02 PM) : 

lol, if Fabio and Russell Brand had a lovechild...

I like his rings, though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:39 AM) : 

They look like a brother and sister. Never the less, great picture.

 

Blogger trendoffice said ... (3:02 AM) : 

Yes, but her influence is definitely bigger:)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:44 AM) : 

I think the guy outshines the girl, but both have it going on. Wow...I didn't know it was such a big NON for men to have their pants tucked in their boots. LOL..you learn something new everyday, I guess.

For anon 11:50....I had the same problem w/ details until I recently got a new monitor. Older monitors seem to drastically dull.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:21 AM) : 

The male looks great awesome style. For some odd reason she is not fitting in with him.

I know she is not homeless because of the nice boots she has on.

If you would like to do a makeover on someone she would make the perfect canidate.

She needs a hair style and the clothing does nothing for her shape.

Disappointed in Qatar!

Marie

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:59 AM) : 

He is very chic. The jeans, the boots, the loving of all things black.

 

Blogger jess said ... (10:01 AM) : 

i love butter.
i love rick owens.
i love brklyn.
definitely come here more !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:11 PM) : 

Gentry used to work at Atelier, no?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:23 PM) : 

i'm surprised you have just realized now that brooklyn is a stylish catwalk. i always find more interesting people than in manhattan.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:48 PM) : 

Shades of Fleetwood Mac. In a good way.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:21 AM) : 

Wow. Super hip. Super stylish couple. Next time you are in Ryais Park, stop by Rockshop Jeans on Wash and Brisbee. Best tailoring on men's pants in the country.

And for stationery, try out Crochet Farm on Little Elm.

The cutest Brooklynites all hang on Black Crow Lane in Lower Marksdale these days. Amazing shoes on EVERYONE walking those streets..

 

Blogger FishTaxi said ... (4:49 AM) : 

Wasn't Fanny Brice from Brooklyn? I loved Funny Girl. haha

I love your blog. I'm not into fashion but I like people.

 

Blogger Karina Cifuentes said ... (4:43 PM) : 

I love Brooklyn, and I love these people.

 

Blogger Cycle-Two said ... (7:28 PM) : 

*sigh*, Gentrys not wearing jeans. Sartoria digital stitch cotton canvas pants tucked into rear laceup Cdiems.

Anyone who criticizes that combo is just plain wrong.

 

Blogger Jo said ... (9:32 PM) : 

Come to Park Slope!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:33 AM) : 

Butter is the most amazing store. They also have a sister boutique next door called Butter Consignment - amazing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:59 PM) : 

It's about time you start coming to Brooklyn!!! I live in DUMBO and all my outfit ideas come from women I see walking around the neighborhood on Saturdays. You should also check out Williamsburg!

PS I adore butter consignment!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:59 AM) : 

since when did that place get the "evagentry" in it's name? it used to be owned by two sisters, maybe that was ages ago.
love the store, though!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:51 AM) : 

I knew Gentry when he was at Calvin Klein.

Hap

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:40 AM) : 

great store... but what happened to Robin - the little sister???

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:46 AM) : 

butter is the coolest store! AND yes Robin is gone I hear. please stay cool but not too cool! a true fan.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:50 AM) : 

dude and dudette! rock on...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:20 PM) : 

Gentry is absolute brilliant, a great dresser, fabulous style(I love Fleetwood Mac, with a twist) that girl does not look like him. Dog meat face next to Gentrys angelic face. yes she dyed her straw hair and tries hard to be like Gentry. No, she doesn't come close. No mole. This union is unholy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:58 AM) : 

I love the clothes. Very nice. I like his look much better than hers. Married? Brother and sister? It looks like grandma with grandson. These two are a couple? He could of done better.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting