This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Spring Flannels, NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

On the Street....Spring Flannels, NYC


A rare sighting of the "Spring flannel" was reported in West Chelsea recently.

Thought to be almost extinct, Spring flannel pants still make perfect sense in the unsettled weather of April and May.

Comments on "On the Street....Spring Flannels, NYC"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:46 AM) : 

god that inside knit has the perfect length/fit

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:28 AM) : 

What a smooth cat!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:38 AM) : 

He should try a little nonchalance. The pants could be fine, but he makes a too great buzz about his attire. I wouldn't find the scarf very advisory. In order to match up his youthful face, I would wear my things in a more masculine way. I think this outfit doesn't really do any good for him. All the single pieces are fine, however.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:45 AM) : 

I love the look especially the scarf and how he layered the jacket with a cardigan. I am just not sure about the width of the pants...

 

Blogger dorian allworthy said ... (7:20 AM) : 

I like the vest - a very elegant look down to the handkerchief in his jacket pocket. and yet it looks as though he was dressed in a hurry.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:59 AM) : 

Outfit is great, but photo itself is also terrific. You played the bright light beautifully, to very pleasing effect on his hair. Lighting is very even on his face. Composition is top notch, with the soft green on one side and the brick on the other. You and I know that these photos don't just happen randomly. Congrats!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:09 AM) : 

I love these spring flannels! The gentleman has a kind of 70s thing going on with his closely cut jacket and open neck shirt. The scarf brings it up to date but i would leave off the cardigan, or if he is cold unbutton it so we can't see it. Can't help thinking his wonderful long legs enhances the look. Nice find, Sart.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:17 AM) : 

Absolutely love the looque.

 

Blogger katkin said ... (8:22 AM) : 

Ooh! Love the scarf tucked in, and the cardi under the blazer, and the turn-ups... since reading more 'style' blogs I've certainly become a lot more focussed on the details, but they really do make outfits!

 

Blogger Erika said ... (8:23 AM) : 

This is a very classy look. Men look nice in scarfs.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:24 AM) : 

I think anything would work with those legs, what's the male equivalent of va-va-vooom? I wore a cardigan with the lowest button undone around W Palm Beach and no fewer than 3 people tried to button me up!!! Like the outfit, love the shoes! Jorge from W Palm Beach

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:55 AM) : 

I love the way he has tucked his scarf down into his shirt, and the green vest makes the whole outfit! I also like the fold on the end of the legs of his pants. Beautiful!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:06 AM) : 

wow, I'm thoroughly impressed by this outfit... Those pants are such a perfect perfect length

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:18 AM) : 

He looks so good! Just everything goes so well together!

I like the way there's a band of white just peeping out of his blazer pocket, his pairing his blazer with a cardigan when I thought cardigans were things only much younger people could get away with, and the way his trousers fit him just perfectly!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:26 AM) : 

Love the pants.But I think he needs to either lose the scarf or the cardigan; it's one of the two buddy, not both.

Energie

 

Blogger NorthShore Chicago said ... (9:38 AM) : 

Those pants are wonderful, he is springy yet warm.

 

Blogger Anne Watkins said ... (9:43 AM) : 

NIce look spoiled by that dumb way of securing the muffler. It always looks too studied, and makes the scarf look too small.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:53 AM) : 

Love his whole look! Especially the cardigan and great trousers. Very handsome and elegant. I want those trousers!!!

 

Blogger Paul Pincus said ... (9:54 AM) : 

the trousers are great.

there is so much going on here but he looks very comfortable. he makes it seem easy.

 

Blogger amy said ... (10:06 AM) : 

proportaions perfect. looks comfy and happy. snappy.

 

Blogger The Fancier said ... (10:18 AM) : 

This man is so incredibly dapper! I love it! Spring flannel reminds me of Great Gatsby!

 

Blogger STITCH said ... (10:38 AM) : 

Love the layering of his vest, shirt and scarf.

 

Blogger Life Essentials said ... (10:43 AM) : 

Quite elegant look, but I don't like the cardigan he's wearing under his jacket. (I don't like cardigans at all) And his pants' a bit too long.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:09 AM) : 

This chap has got the layering down and is quite handsome to boot!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:35 AM) : 

The silhouette is great but the style a little too smart for my taste. I do like the scarf-update on the cravat though

 

Blogger Scot Meacham Wood said ... (11:36 AM) : 

subtle and breathtaking.

 

Blogger Natalie said ... (11:43 AM) : 

Sometimes I think cosy&warm-looking men are extinct. Apparently not. It must be the flannel.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:45 AM) : 

I love the cut of the jacket

 

Blogger Violet Harrington Pickles said ... (11:50 AM) : 

I am transported and remember my first love ....
when I first beheld my tall drink of water sauntering along the Seine, in divine Spring Flannel.

Your photo made my heart skip a beat.
Such a lovely man...

Violet Harrington Pickles

 

Blogger Giuseppe said ... (11:51 AM) : 

Wow! This outfit is totally 1930's and totally current at the same time. Bravo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:06 PM) : 

the pants are perfectly modern and the three pieces on top fit like a dream. any old-fogey layering man knows that a poor fit in any of the three will be hell for you all day long.
It's probably ridiculous but I feel I'm copping out if I tie my scarf that simple way. I feel a jaunty ascot would be better suited to this sunny day dream.
all in all, an almost perfect puzzle.
B.S.M.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:10 PM) : 

i love the fit of the cardigan. Does anyone know where he got it from? By any chance is it inhabit?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:17 PM) : 

i agree.. i like it i do wish he would lose the scarf though. it's too much. i like everything else though! it's a good idea!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:01 PM) : 

Nice pants, good knit, awful scarf. Cute smile and hair.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:08 PM) : 

What's with anon 6.38 - "I would wear my things in a more masculine way. I think this outfit doesn't really do any good for him."

I so completely disagree. I think he looks devastating - the guy's a knock out and this kind of structured clothing can be V sexy. It must have taken some planning to get everything just so, but it doesn't really look over the top and structured. Wearing a scarf is not unmasculine, for petes sake!

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (1:10 PM) : 

Great photo, Sart. I adore this look, especially the scarf and cardigan. Fierce, fabulous, and flawless. Well done.

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (1:13 PM) : 

Gorgeous! I wouldn't change a thing!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:36 PM) : 

Great silhouette. The colours are really something too. It looks to me as though his shirt and cardigan may be a hair too small though, as both seem to be pulling at the buttons.

 

Blogger Alex said ... (1:37 PM) : 

I'm only partial to the jacket, great fit. the scarf is alright. Love the cuff on the pants though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:57 PM) : 

Love everything, specially the proportion cardigan/blazer. Pants lenght is perfect, not those short pants we have lately seen...
Your shots are fantastic!
Love from Brazil...

 

Blogger Anne Corrons said ... (2:03 PM) : 

It's the perfect fabric for now! Love his look.

 

Blogger Chike-Ikechi said ... (2:25 PM) : 

My academic counselor once asked me why i wore a light, spring scarf layered beneath my shirt like this gentlemen wore it. I told her it was bit nippy outside, but overall not to cold. She didn't get it and reduced me to some slave to style. Seeing this pic shows how conventional a very light linen scarf can be when you are transitioning seasons! I just forwarded her the link and I loved how you provided some concise words on the feasibility of such a look in a season like spring. great spread on GQ btw!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:42 PM) : 

very nice shoes as well! well done!

 

Blogger jamesylala said ... (3:08 PM) : 

Watch out there is a new Carey in Chelsea, VIA the spirit of Cary Grant. This gentleman knows a dapper stance when he wears it, and he wears it WELL!!!
Tally ho from England good Sir.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:18 PM) : 

i agree with anonymus 9.26, it´s either the scarf or the cardigan, both together are too much...
his attire reminds of roger moore in the 007 movies, don´t know if that is good or bad, though!!
great shot, Sart!!

 

Blogger Sharona said ... (3:20 PM) : 

The most striking thing is this outfit is clearly thought out and well executed and clean -- something many men are much to "masculine" to be willing to do. I love it for that alone! Then you add the fact he looks wonderful and classy -- he's charming. Anyone who went out with him would feel obligated to be sure and dress well. That's a good effect to have on people. "Ridding the world of one slob at a time," should be his mission statement.

 

Blogger Cosima said ... (3:28 PM) : 

Yum yum!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:10 PM) : 

I love this outfit!

Just to let you know, I wrote an article on your blog for my work's fashion blog. I find great inspiration from the photos you take and figured I should publicize it for you. I do hope you don't mind.

Thanks for showing us that anyone can be fashionable!

 

Blogger An Aesthete's Lament said ... (4:16 PM) : 

Yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes. Bravo.

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (5:00 PM) : 

Great look!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:08 PM) : 

Interesting composition for a photograph to have him backlit, but still under a tree. Created somewhat of an halo around him. Nice...I like the shoes too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:29 PM) : 

i'm in love!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:13 PM) : 

NICE! So much better than the t-shirts with writing and flip flops I'm used to seeing on men. Wish more men in the US dressed this way!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:17 PM) : 

I love this look, his sweater vest is great! I also like how he made it more casual by unbuttoning the shirt and tucking in the scarf.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:38 PM) : 

very sharp.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:27 PM) : 

Dude definitely has a high taste level.I'll bet he looks good on most days. He's into it. This could be predominantly all one designer, it looks "collection" which is cool. This shot definitely reads Sartorial. Thank You.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:55 PM) : 

love the outfit, almost as much as the commentary.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:08 PM) : 

he's too baby faced for the look, he appears to be playing "dress up"sorry. There are physical limit for us all. I am a short Italian, I cannot wear cowboy boots, it's life.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:45 PM) : 

I love what YSL has done for their men's collection this season. It's so wonderfully great, and this man's silhouette draws connections to it, amongst others! I'm kinda over the way he's wearing his scarf though. He somehow looks kinda safe, with not enough personality or creativity showing through.

 

Blogger Jourdan said ... (11:07 PM) : 

Perfection!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:22 PM) : 

prim and proper. what a dandy!

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (7:46 AM) : 

Nicely done. Love the colours and, naturally, the scarf too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:01 AM) : 

The jacket has an unusual cut. Notice how the bottom front corners are squared instead of rounded? It makes me wonder if the jacket is custom made.
I like the fit and the look of everything (particularly the sweater; great choice there) except the scarf. I think that if a man wants to wear something around his neck, and to have it tucked inside his shirt, then he's best off going with an ascot. I think the scarf looks too feminine.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:17 AM) : 

I think it helps that this chap has a figure like a male model. Tall, slim, long legs. Flattering to any outfit.

 

Blogger Duchesse said ... (11:10 AM) : 

These pants: the essence of refinement. They are only meant for maybe 4-5 weeks' wear each year. In a week they'll be too heavy, and the colour isn't right when the temperature dips again, in fall. But when the sun is shining, the air's cool and lilacs bloom- perfect.

 

Blogger cjdd said ... (1:17 PM) : 

Winter has ended and we are not yet saved from this particular way of tying a scarf. His outfit is so tightly constructed that a bit of dash would go a long way- let the scarf fly! make it bright! give it a jaunty knot at the throat! leave the cardigan at home!

That being said, he looks like he's enjoying himself, which is doubtlessly worth more than a flawless outfit...

 

Blogger anonymous said ... (1:51 PM) : 

I expect this is another endangered species that, like the polar bear, will fall victim to climate change...

;)

Snazzy look, though, and one that is indeed rarely seen!

http://totallykickassparties.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:53 PM) : 

The clothes say "boyishly handsome" almost as much as his face. And he looks wonderfully tall in this ensemble. Tremendous charm and style!

 

Blogger pauline said ... (12:37 AM) : 

I love everything about this look.

 

Blogger Kanani said ... (11:02 AM) : 

Hmmm.....
This scarf is too long --he's got it tucked into his shirt. Also, I think for the warm weather, I'd even forgo an ascot and opt for some fun accessories --like a tank watch, and maybe a few strands of really cool wooden or stone beaded bracelets. (Yes, I like men who wear bracelets).

Other than that... really nice. Great haircut, great pants, nice carriage.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:35 PM) : 

A absolutely love the sharp corners and straight vertical lines in this--definitely my favorite so far!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:33 PM) : 

All we are aware that spring or summer flannels are completely extint and have disappeared from the fabric Books of the most important Mills.
Sart ,do Yoy know from where this guy did purchase the fabric for his slacks?.

Many Thanks

Angelo

 

Blogger Evans. said ... (2:41 AM) : 

i had a pair of spring flannels, but i lost them, and i don't remember where i got them, or where to look for them.

 

Blogger junglesiren said ... (3:47 AM) : 

He's a smooth as they get. So chic. It all works. And i love his smile.

Just to knit pick (nit pic?) I would make the shoes a bit more casual to tone it down a notch and make it less perfect, but really, it's not at all a big deal. He rocks it righteously.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:08 AM) : 

he's lovely! the fit of the pants is great, and i'm not usually one who goes for "slightly too long" as an acceptable fit. but the long, narrow fit of it all is just lovely! i wish to the gods that more men would dress like this.

 

Blogger Baking With Plath said ... (2:07 PM) : 

He looks very sharp! I like this outfit a lot.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:16 PM) : 

Spectacular. Its so nice to see a number of pieces work so well together. After years of one or two feature accessories. To find a perfectly crafted outfit is joyous. I admit I was a little doubtful of the size of cuff at first but the length of his leg can totally handle is. Brilliant for tapping into the '30s, '70s, old school Hollywood all while being effortlessly current. Love it!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:00 PM) : 

Sorry - this does nothing for me at all! I love mixed elements - and eccentricity is great - but this? - no, no, no! Everything wrong - and he looks too smug to boot! Apologies to the man.

 

Blogger Mr. Rover said ... (4:25 AM) : 

I find the colors a little more fall than spring here, but everything works so well here, it'd be difficult to change any one piece. Maybe a slash of color with a ribbon belt? A newsboy cap or straw hat worn at a jaunty angle would finish this look off with the risk of alluding to the past.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:02 PM) : 

Oh, how I wish the men in San Francisco would dress like this! It's no wonder I love New York.

I guess I'll keep on wishing ...

 

Blogger Mr. Rover said ... (1:59 PM) : 

Scott,
Did you ask where he purchased these flannel pants?
They've been on my wishlist for at least the last 2 years, and nobody that I know of is making them, and all vintage examples I have come across have been riddled with moth holes.

Ray Chu

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting