This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Jazz-Age Lawn Party on Governors Island, New York

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Sunday, June 08, 2008

Jazz-Age Lawn Party on Governors Island, New York

Comments on "Jazz-Age Lawn Party on Governors Island, New York"

 

Blogger iEbun said ... (10:05 AM) : 

I rock with the socks!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:27 AM) : 

The party was organized by the Dorothy Parker Society of New York (http://www.dorothyparker.com).

Seeing the photos, I'm more bummed than ever that I had to work!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:28 AM) : 

I like it...
Its a cute dorky look.
The different patterns are interesting.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:00 AM) : 

I'm afraid the orange doesn't match with blue. Also there are way too many lines

 

Blogger Syed said ... (11:05 AM) : 

The shorts and socks are AMAZING! I love the materials and patterning.

 

Blogger we could grow up 2gether said ... (11:20 AM) : 

nothing is more classic and sexier than argyle socks

 

Blogger hgg said ... (11:35 AM) : 

aaah, that is so....

*swoon*

 

Blogger gabrielazeanadal@hotmail.com said ... (11:42 AM) : 

I love the shirt and the shoes. Did he grow that moustache for the occasion?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:44 AM) : 

These people are clearly having fun with clothes --good on them!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:28 PM) : 

wow I can't believe I'm saying this. It's kinda sexy. The play of patterns and colors is awesome.

 

Blogger Jonathan said ... (1:05 PM) : 

Where in this day and age does on find knee-high argyle socks for men?

Great look. I like the way the tie and the socks play off of each other.

 

Blogger Daniel said ... (1:09 PM) : 

I think it´s cool. The tie is hanging a bit to short for my taste, but still. I love the overall quirkiness.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:49 PM) : 

i love his pants, u guys know where i can find them in ny? is there a name for this type of pants...

i love how the socks is high enough to fit under the pants even when he is sitting down....

i had been trying to find a pair of this throughout winter :)

 

Blogger daltonmc said ... (1:55 PM) : 

In repsonse to Alexei,
I believe the orange indeed does match the blue. In fact they match quite well.

As far as the Jazz-age look goes... Bravo.

As far as real life applications of this look...
Good luck.

--d.mc.

 

Blogger cat minoki said ... (2:03 PM) : 

Wow!
What a pattern-party!
+ strong colours!
I love it! Wonderful!
And the outfit matches with his face and haircut.

Well done!

 

Blogger Natalie said ... (3:10 PM) : 

I like guys with a sense of humor ;o)

 

Blogger Miriam Parkman said ... (3:42 PM) : 

That party and your pictures from it is one strong reason for me to go to New York. Soon.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:17 PM) : 

A jazz age lawn party? I want to be there!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:25 PM) : 

Fab socks!!!! I have a similar ones from Marks and Spencer

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:36 PM) : 

I like his pose and expression, but the rest of the look is totally ridiculous.

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (5:07 PM) : 

I love this! Fantastic!

 

Blogger Richard said ... (5:29 PM) : 

Love the look!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:32 PM) : 

Jazzy! I like him so much.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:34 PM) : 

The pose and setting really show off this gentleman's outfit to it's best advantage. I'm not sure about the (fabulous) socks with the tie but i sincerely applaud the effort in putting the look together - he has wonderful jazz age hair style and a handsome face.

 

Blogger OndrejS said ... (6:13 PM) : 

Ahh.. reminds me of the 20s/30s a bit.... What a great time it must have been with all the Charleston, swing and jazz... I think I will go see The Aviator one more time...

 

Blogger amyw said ... (6:33 PM) : 

I love how he shook up a button-down, tie, tailored shorts, and shiny shoes with the argyle socks. They add personality and show his personal style!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:48 PM) : 

Of course the orange and the blue are good together! Alexei, have you no adventure in you??

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:51 PM) : 

In terms of color theory, orange and blue should match, they're complimentary.
Although I do think Alexei meant that this guy is not a master colorist and I agree. The outfit is dreamy, though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:26 PM) : 

Bertie Wooster rides again :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:43 PM) : 

I forget the name of J. Gatsby's neighbor, this fellow contains his essence. What a hoot. Everything works here for me. Nice job. Looks like a fun time.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:27 PM) : 

looking that suave in that outfit is an impressive feat. its all in his facial expression and posture--he owns this look.

 

Blogger j said ... (9:44 PM) : 

Well anon, they're called knickers. I have a pair of wool ones for mountaineering, but I would also love to know where you get a pair of dress ones like these.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:11 PM) : 

Matt DJed 78s on a 1920s phonographic consol at this party, which was organized by bandleader Michael Arenella (dreamlandorchestra.com), who is hosting another such free event on Sept 13 and 14 on Governors Island in New York harbor... Heidi

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:47 AM) : 

i want a pair of knickers all my own...but where to get them???

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:57 AM) : 

Very well chosen combination of items.
Not sure about the coloring of socks and shoes, it works though, but I would not dare that is. Where did he get these trousers?

 

Blogger Vivek R. said ... (5:17 AM) : 

Hmm... interesting, there is lot of design scope here.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:43 AM) : 

Oh how I wish men dressed like this today! Everyday! :D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:23 AM) : 

If this is too outrageous, so what, but I want to share that I feel like looking into the youth of my grand-father and falling in love with him. Especially the colours and shiny shoues and his expression are so vital. Thanks. I check this blog regularly and will do it more often now!

 

Blogger Paul Pincus said ... (9:24 AM) : 

my all-time favourite!

amazing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:02 AM) : 

My favourite part of this photo is his face... he really looks like he's just come out ofa sixties movie!

I really like the pants and shiny shoes too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:30 PM) : 

The bottom half, brilliant.
The top half (sans the hair), eh.
Maybe a dark wool/tweed vest would help?

 

Blogger Jason Lyon said ... (2:39 PM) : 

I am sad to say that I do not like this. Perhaps the colours were more harmonious in person. Kudos for trying, and I do understand the troubles of finding proper sport hose to wear with britches these days. The shoes are awfully shiny as well. They look cheap. This is a non-harmonious blend of formal and casual. Again I commend him for trying.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:48 PM) : 

I just wanted to clarify that this event was not put on by The Dorothy Parker Society (as one the of posters mistakenly mentioned above). The event is put on jointly by Governor's Island and Michael Arenella and His Dreamland Orchestra (and his staff). The Dorothy Parker Society was one of the fantastic vendors that participated in the event, along with several milliners and vintage clothing dealers. There will be another one in September!

 

Blogger tattoolyn said ... (4:39 PM) : 

YOU SHOULD SEE THE REST OF HIS CLOTHES! HE IS ONE HANDSOME DEVIL!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:50 PM) : 

most certainly is good for a party,but Heavens above?Who would go like this to the office?Not even Ralph Lauren dresses the mannequins like this...
jng

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:46 PM) : 

see the rest of his clothes? what do you mean? are these for sale? the knickers and the knee socks are so cool. all of the trends having to do with men expanding their horizons with knickers, leggings, knits, socks and things are really exciting!

 

Blogger ricola said ... (12:44 AM) : 

Fantastic. I love knickers

 

Blogger Shayela H. said ... (6:34 PM) : 

That is surprisingly attractive.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:59 AM) : 

To the person who asked about where one might find those socks-- www.sockdreams.com has, or did have, several unisex, men's, and women's (interchangeable, too) knee-high and over-the-knee argyle socks. One of them looked just like this pair.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:01 PM) : 

you wouldn't originally think that this would work, short tie, argile socks, but some how he pulls it off with steeze

 

Blogger dean r said ... (10:42 PM) : 

this is the ONLY dress situation an American male over 8 years old should wear pants above the ankle. ha

 

Blogger Kate said ... (8:28 PM) : 

Those socks are cool, but they would have been WAAAAY cooler (and more authentic) if they had been handknit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:40 AM) : 

Classy in a dorky sort of way. Love the socks. Designer?

 

Anonymous Mark said ... (5:22 PM) : 

Great look and comfortable. I have worn knickers with Argyle, Cable and
opaque knee socks and have gotten a lot of compliments.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting