This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....Friends, Nolita

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, June 06, 2008

On the Street.....Friends, Nolita

Comments on "On the Street.....Friends, Nolita"

 

Blogger stacy said ... (9:29 AM) : 

to me, that photo screams...

'life is good!'

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:34 AM) : 

Adorable little pooch --
That the bike is also pink is the finishing touch!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:37 AM) : 

"The naivety of the account feels forced," writes the teacher under his pupil's story of a beautiful young girl cycling around NY with her cute little dog in a front basket... Yep.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:49 AM) : 

You've really out-done yourself here! Dog+Bike+Girl

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:54 AM) : 

'Omigod you guys' - totally reminds me of Legally Blonde.

 

Blogger TMFA said ... (10:01 AM) : 

Ahhh. The Dutch way, on the bike with your little pet in the front basket. She is looking very nice and it gives a splendid summerish feel, something I unfortunately miss now in Cape Town.

 

Blogger Luli said ... (10:05 AM) : 

I love this shot! All of it...the havaianas, the dress, the headband that matches her bicycle, the dog, everything! So summer fresh.

 

Blogger Odessa said ... (10:13 AM) : 

wow, this looks like an editorial shot! i love her dress, perfect for the summer.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:25 AM) : 

The flip flops are disgusting, but minus that- she looks cute.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:29 AM) : 

I love this! It's so typical of summer, and the dog is so cute!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:34 AM) : 

one word: cute!!

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (10:43 AM) : 

Caroline Trentini?
Great shot!

 

Blogger norawoah said ... (10:47 AM) : 

Adorable!
I am completely jealous that I can't spend my days riding around with my dog.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:57 AM) : 

I love the way the furry rug (?)/ feather boa (?) in the basket looks like a flounce on the dress. The shadow is pretty cool, too. As always, great, witty detail.

 

Blogger Lil Midget said ... (11:05 AM) : 

I love your site. Has excellent pics :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:08 AM) : 

britney spears?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:24 AM) : 

Call me crazy, but I love the cute pink bow headband. It matches her bike.

Not to mention the dress .... so gorgeous! Simple perfection.

 

Blogger From Gullah to Ghetto and now Ivory Tower said ... (11:30 AM) : 

Can we get off of the whole "flip flops" are disgusting rant? Flip flops are worn all over the world, are cheap (especially useful when one has little money to splurge on $500 Choos, Blahniks, etc.), and are utilitarian in the best sense of the world. If she's wearing Havianas, for $18+ a pair, I would wear them everywhere until they fell apart. Anyway . . .
I love her choice of accessories, especially her shades and glasses. The little things really make her look pop.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:40 AM) : 

The composition of this shot is great. Love the dog in the furry basket. Fabulous

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:42 AM) : 

that's definitely caroline trentini!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:59 AM) : 

anon 9:37 AM:

Exactly!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:12 PM) : 

I had never seen any style that the pink bow headband would best fitted with, but now I know that I've gotta get myself one of that asap for this summer.

 

Blogger Charlotte said ... (12:14 PM) : 

Agree that it looks like an editorial shot, but it *is* darling!

 

Blogger Lizzie said ... (12:14 PM) : 

doo doodoo doodoo doo...doo doodoo doodoo doo...dooooooooo!!!

I get you my pretty...and your little dog, too!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:40 PM) : 

I wish I could ride my bike in a dress without the skirt ending up around my waist or tangled in the back wheel. Ah well, I suppose I don't have enough grace to pull it off. Your subject looks stunning however.

 

Blogger paeonia said ... (12:47 PM) : 

A frothy confection, very sweet.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:16 PM) : 

I can't remember the last time I rode a bike, but I'm sure when I did I looked a mess. Who knew one could look so stylish on two wheels? Plus, the dog is heaven.

 

Blogger Natalie said ... (1:26 PM) : 

Sunshine :o)
I very much like the little pink bow in her hair. It makes the entire appearance even more lovely-girly...
What a positive picture!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:48 PM) : 

Anon 12:40 and momquixote you can look good on a bike and wear a dress without having it on you belly provided one and onlly thing : you neek a dutch like bike where you can ride with your back standing straight.

And you can't bike very fast withe a short dress ;-), 15 km/h seems a maximum, at 20 you show you whotel thighs, at 25... everything

 

Blogger Arethusa said ... (1:52 PM) : 

No offence guys, but I'm pretty sure that women is a little too *big* (in model terms, you understand) to be Trentini, although the resemblance is there. :)

 

Blogger AMM blog said ... (1:56 PM) : 

is it just me or does she look a tiny bit like Carrie Underwood? Either way, it's such a fun, summer photo!!

 

Blogger Alaiyo Bradshaw said ... (2:04 PM) : 

I rode my bike to my boutique job this morning...I definately did not look that good. The shot is, of course, amazing, but I think this gal in real life, whoever she may be, is a little over the top. For me its the matching bow and bike combo that ruins it for me; I've never been much of a bow person....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:12 PM) : 

Oh, the pooch looks like my first dog that i rode around on my bike along the Charles River here.
nice shot.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:07 PM) : 

I'm not an anti-flip flop person like some, but it is a tragically bad idea to ride a bike in flip flops. Not to mention without a helmet. And dogs are NOT accessories. But I love her dress.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:20 PM) : 

really fun shot. i agree about the flounce of fur/boa in the basket, and the awesome shadow on the left.

at the same time, i'm getting kind of tired of this style where women dress up like little girls. it can be fun, but it also seems a little silly.

i don't know much about photography, but maybe a narrower aperture or shorter focal length to keep the dog in focus would have improved the shot? (???) I'm just wondering as a student of photo and wild fan of yours.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:51 PM) : 

From the dress, to the bike, to the cute, litte pooch - this photo will have me smiling all day.

 

Blogger Chad Cheverier said ... (4:08 PM) : 

all your photos have such a shallow depth of field (which I like) and I saw from a previous post you like the 85mm lens, I'm assuming f/1.2. I am curious at what aperture you like to shoot at and if you use manual or auto focus. I know this is a design site but I very much like your photography as well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:09 PM) : 

Picture perfect! Even the puppy!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:04 PM) : 

Kawaii!! (cute in japanese)

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (6:03 PM) : 

That photo is gorgeous!
And I believe it is NOT Carol Trentini!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:31 PM) : 

it's carol trentini... gorgeous

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:42 PM) : 

That dog needs a helmet.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:11 PM) : 

Flip-flops are incredibly dangerous for bike riders and where is the helmet? When safety is sacrificed to fashion something has gone wrong.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:53 PM) : 

The "bandolete" in her hair (with a bow) is very girly... Cute-cute!
Sorry, but I dont´t know the English word for bandolete...

 

Blogger @priscilavelho said ... (7:57 PM) : 

I'm a fashion designer Brazilian and I need say: I did love your blog. This pictures are the best pictures from streets of NY. Good choice! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:15 PM) : 

This whole thing about helmets makes me want to hurl. The Dutch have been riding their bikes around town forever without helmets, no problem.

 

Blogger Ridonkulus said ... (9:17 PM) : 

The dog in the basket is too cute. It looks like a fun ride for both of them. I've seen many girls in Chicago ride while wearing dresses. The key is getting a cruiser-type bike with a low instep (??) so you can just step over the bike instead of lift your leg all the way up to get on it. If you see old pictures from WWII of women and their bikes, they're wearing skirts and heels!

 

Blogger Pistachio Of Liberty said ... (10:02 PM) : 

Carrot, don't you mean a helmutt?

*as in Newton

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:29 PM) : 

This is far from striking. The dog is probably this photo's saving grace. The dress and the flip flops (are those Old Navy?) are disappointing. Cute with the bike, I'll admit.

 

Blogger STITCH said ... (11:06 PM) : 

CUTE DOG!! Best fashion accessory.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:08 PM) : 

This is exactly how I want my summer to be! Chic, carefree, and whimsical (hence the little pooch)!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:22 AM) : 

I think the dog steals the show!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:07 AM) : 

i'm sorry, but the pink bow? yick.

and while it normally works really well in your portraits, the shallow depth of field in this one is distracting. i can't help wishing the dog were in focus.

keep 'em coming! i've really been enjoying the summery dresses lately!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:52 AM) : 

Lovely image. I appreciate this blog so much.

To the safety fanatics -- When I rode my bike, I wore no helmet, but I did rock flip flops and fluorescent 'clackers' on my wheels. Very cool.

Car rides involved no seat belts, no air bags.

We broke all the rules... still, here I be -- on my way toward sixty and still rocking.

Try to relax, grasp some perspective and enjoy small pleasures -- this is not a high speed bike or rider.


D.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:59 AM) : 

That's definitely not Caroline Trentini

 

Blogger Seanrwatson2 said ... (3:02 AM) : 

Charming. This to me echoes the dreams of the past, small romanticisms.

 

Blogger k said ... (4:30 AM) : 

its paris hilton on a bike!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:53 AM) : 

Quite a frilly , frothy confection. La Duree macaroon on wheels.
Flip flops while cycling?
no helmet for the dog??

Safety first, kids!

 

Blogger Maven said ... (7:17 AM) : 

What's not to love? From the ultra pretty girly girl in a silky sun dress and pink bike with hair band to match, complete with fluffy accessories right through to the gorgeous shadow- wonderful photo! I mean really- look- her left pinky is up. You got it all in one shot! She made me smile and made my 16 year old son say oh wow-he loved she was wearing flip flops, and so did I.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:22 AM) : 

it's true then,what they say about people looking like thier dogs and vice versa...

 

Blogger MSMITH20 said ... (8:42 AM) : 

Nice photograph. Dog is the best friend what about vice versa.

...........................................
Micheal Smith

 

Blogger Paris said ... (8:53 AM) : 

Awe that little dog! What a life! I love that this girl looks so chic even with flip flops on! I can never manage that. She seems like the kind of girl you want to be friends with. Good fun!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:54 AM) : 

I have a QUESTION that I hope someone can answer:

Where do you park a bike like that in Manhattan?

(and I'm being serious... I'm looking to get one)

 

Blogger fashionfatwa said ... (8:56 AM) : 

great photo but people should not leave the house in flipflops - ever.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:08 AM) : 

your blog is the best for my work of graduation in the university.
My abstract:

Formerly it was easy to distinguish classes in a society. Clothing used to be a way of defining status, and therefore the differences amongst the population could be easily perceived.
As time went by, society had become divided into tribes, groups were clearly distinguished from one to another according to their dress codes, which were displayed in the exact way they had been established.
The contemporary society has come to absorb the information subject of globalization, where the exchange of information has become the main factor which creates the mixture existing in the current fashion trends.
New York City is one of the best examples to define how the street fashion develops in contemporary society.
Street fashion is the great display of what is being expressed by individuals on their daily lives and it has become a major source of analysis for the fashion industry, which has used Field and Internet Research for surveys which proves how much the urban subcultures have affected both the haute couture and the high street fashion industry.
With the advancement of Internet and the proliferation of street fashion in contemporary society, the need to obtain information and the appreciation for new trends are two strong characteristics of individuals in the current social context.
With the popularization of web pages defined as virtual diaries, blogs about street fashion from all over the world have been the best source of quick search to gain easy access to information about new ideas of how to dress, both for individuals and for the fashion industry.
Therefore, contemporary society and street fashion are considered fragmented, because the speed of information provokes a constant transformation, both in culture and in people’s personality. Fashion, considered ephemeral, accompanies such changes.



Thank You.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:24 AM) : 

i am going to reside there one day in my life.
it looks beautiful.
(:

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:47 AM) : 

pretty pet you have. haha. can i touch it? its cute! hehe

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:14 AM) : 

it looks a lot like carol trentini, but i dont think its her...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:47 AM) : 

good view....i love that!

 

Blogger Carissa Duhamel said ... (1:19 PM) : 

CUTE

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:20 PM) : 

She looks really sweet! I really like her necklace as well, and it goes so well with her plain dress, it just looks so summery and lovely. This is defintley one of my favourites!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:40 PM) : 

I'm curious about the lens and aperture too. It seems like this would be a very hard shot to take w/o auto-focus give the DOF. BTW, how dorky would this girl look with a helmet on? The dog is smiling more than she is :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:27 PM) : 

You look like a movie star

 

Blogger lilliebe said ... (8:21 PM) : 

Adorable! Such a perfect photograph, really captures the feeling of summer. The pink bike is divine!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:45 PM) : 

Trentini, is that you?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:13 AM) : 

love the dress, the necklace and the bike. she looks like a cupcake from magnolia bakery, but the dog's a bit too much. oh, and why is everyone talking about helmets and not wearing flipflops because of safety?? this is about her look!

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (6:17 AM) : 

nice picture! but it looks like the focus of the camera wasn't on the whole picture because the face of the dog is kind of blurry.

all in all a nice picture!

 

Blogger Trapiello said ... (7:35 AM) : 

I like the bike!!!!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:23 AM) : 

I am tempted to start wearing flip flops at ALL times just to annoy people - who knew people could be so judgemental about something so basic? Mind you they do hurt give me terrible blisters, but it might be worth it just to get a rise from anonymous web weirdos...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:45 AM) : 

This picture is nearly perfect: I don't realy like the sunglasses.

For the people who say this is the dutch way: dutch people have their dogs on the back of their bicycle, and I can know it: I'm Duthc.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:21 PM) : 

I love this! I wish my dog were small enough to ride in the basket of my bicycle. Unfortunately, at 7 monthes he's already over 40 lbs so that's not going to happen.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:12 PM) : 

what is with the flip flop and bow hate? people need to stop taking fashion so seriously. there are some people in the world that do not analyse every ensemble they wear! what if she was just riding down the road to go grocery shopping or something? i'm sure she didn't get dressed thinking "hmm. i am going to get photographed today."

this girl (whether she's caroline trentini or not) looks happy, comfortable and effortless (and the dog just gives it that extra cute factor!)

great work, sart. i love it :)

 

Blogger Tiago said ... (4:42 PM) : 

the return of bikes, a shebe is not tagged as that. Lovely... summer sum sum summertime...

 

Blogger amyw said ... (6:40 PM) : 

To everyone who's being snobby about the flip-flops: they are versatile, they can dress down an outfit, they are cheap, and they're a quintessential part of a summer wardrobe! They're actually very stylish, in a low-key way. Not every outfit has to be bleeding-edge, put-together fashionable (although she does look very good). Being laid-back can be fashionable too!
I love the dress, and I love her dog too!

 

Blogger J said ... (8:57 AM) : 

Sart, please refer me to a tutorial on how to wear a dress on a bike without killing oneself. Also, where does she park her bike in NYC?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:26 PM) : 

by the by
you can park your bike anywhere in the city you just need a good chain!

 

Blogger Pratishtha Durga said ... (8:07 AM) : 

Makes me wish i too could go around with my mutt all nice and cozy in a basket. Might be a bit of a problem that he is an overgrown Lab :P

 

Blogger fashionslacker said ... (9:24 PM) : 

her bike is awesome

 

Blogger pearlaceous said ... (10:42 PM) : 

I can't stop staring at the picture! It's so vibrant, lively, summery, and chic! It has to be one of my favorite photos! :)

 

Blogger MUSE365 said ... (7:44 AM) : 

that's not caroline, that's one of my favorite partners in crime alex p. and her dog miss penny -- and believe it or not, she's even more fun and feminine and lovely in real life.

great picture of a great girl with great style!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:35 PM) : 

Jen, it's not so hard. I bike every day in a skirt and heels!

An upright bike with skirt and chain guards is the best (a Batavus Old Dutch, an Electra Amsterdam, something like that). But if you don't have one of those, here are instructions on making skirt guards yourself: http://www.instructables.com/id/Quick-&-Easy-Bicycle-Skirt-Guards/. And there are lots of widely available upright bikes that have chain guards.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:33 AM) : 

I like this! It's so typical of summer, and the dog is so cute! thanx for sharing..

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting