This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street...Park Ave., Manhattan

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, August 07, 2008

On the Street...Park Ave., Manhattan

Comments on "On the Street...Park Ave., Manhattan"

 

Blogger Camille said ... (8:31 AM) : 

Wow! He looks fantastic, love the colors and the pocket square, the jacket length and shoe color are perfect as well.

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (8:35 AM) : 

I am wearing my Nantucket Reds today! I truly hope the rest of your audience appreciates red pants; I have certainly gotten some jokes in the office about mine. I think this guy starts with a challenging color (red) and pairs it well, as far as shoes, shirt, jacket and tie. I cant see what is happening with the pocket square, but I dont like what I see, perhaps I would have rather gone without. One thing for sure, I am pairing my pants with a light purple shirt next time I wear them. Jorge from W Palm Beach

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:42 AM) : 

Wow, how unexpected! Lavender, red and navy. In your head it doesn't pan out, but on this guy it really works. It's like I've said before, good dressers just know what looks good!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:43 AM) : 

Uuuh: this shirt and the red trousers - mut be a brave guy! But he is right, it looks grrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeaaaat!

I'd say the tie is a bit pale, though?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:51 AM) : 

Wow.. perfect execution... I love how he could incorporate the pale shirt/tie combo with the rest of the look..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:52 AM) : 

hmmm... what a mix. only red and navy blue are fine for me!

 

Blogger InStudio Blog said ... (8:54 AM) : 

If I were to pass him on the street I would tell him he looks "fly".

 

Blogger Dan in Richmond said ... (8:57 AM) : 

An adventurous palette which would benefit from a little subtlety.It's slightly cartoonish which his tall frame and long arms do nothing to mitigate, but it almost works. I think the pants throw it off the most. Not that they couldn't be bright, not that they couldn't be red even. But this isn't quite right.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:00 AM) : 

I think the tie and the hanky need to be a brigher hue. The pants and jacket are fabulously cut, and I like his choice of footwear. This guy gives off a brave yet refined air in his dress.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:05 AM) : 

I love him. I want to be him! I have red pants and they are my absolute fave for summer. Can I just say I want to steal those shoes right off his feet and take them home with me. The patina is perfection!

 

Blogger CrossFit 702 Kids said ... (9:08 AM) : 

Nantucket Reds are generally faded more. I think these are just red pants.

 

Blogger James Taylor said ... (9:14 AM) : 

I bought a pair of lightweight red pants last year. It was something of a bold move at the time but I'm glad I did it. They are not dissimilar in color to this gentleman's. I was living in Florence at the time where such flamboyance for color is more comfortably accepted. In Italy a lot of men in their late-30s and upwards incorporate bright shades into their work wardrobe. In New York it's a little trickier - my girlfriend says I'll start a riot - but I think I pull them off (no pun intended).

 

Blogger Martini said ... (9:16 AM) : 

oh my! Where can I get me one of him? He's gorgeous, and his clothes are so on. Loving the handkerchief.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:19 AM) : 

Wow-swoon!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:21 AM) : 

This dude has really long arms, or is it just me? The cut of his clothes accentuate his great physique.

 

Blogger jkh said ... (9:26 AM) : 

nice hands.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:29 AM) : 

He looks like a bit of a dandy. Nice fit.

 

Blogger Stylistocrat by RNR said ... (9:33 AM) : 

Looks, like its from a fashion show! I luv the look! The stylist really put this one together!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:48 AM) : 

love it- he looks great! if I walked by him, he would make me smile

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:08 AM) : 

i feel i like i've seen this look before, over and over again. don't get me wrong, the cat is rocking it, but there comes a time when you have to personalized your delivery.

 

Blogger J.P. said ... (10:10 AM) : 

He looks awesome. The purple with the red is not something I would have thought would work, but I like it.

 

Blogger norawoah said ... (10:20 AM) : 

I am really into red, white and blue combos right now, and he just pulls it off, even if his white is a bit "lavender"...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:29 AM) : 

I heart this look! I've worn the combo before, but never thought of pulling in a lavender shirt. That'll change afer today. And can we talk about those shoes? Hotness!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:02 AM) : 

Who needs the Italians or Parisians to tell us how ro dress this is both classic American with a European touch.It could all have come from Boks Brothers or J Press but the way its put together shows an almost English disregard for the norm.Mot a fashion shoot its a BLACK THING. Think Harlem or any black neighbourhood om a sunday morning after church and youve got it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:06 AM) : 

Park Ave says it all this is FAB.from the picture composition to the clothes that actualy fit.Purple Label
all the way.People at RL should scout this lad.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:18 AM) : 

Great use of colors! This person is definitely a risk taker...I love it!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:22 AM) : 

wow - I'm sure the pants are Marni - not RL

 

Blogger ricola said ... (11:25 AM) : 

People with deeper skin tones can carry off the most unlikely colour combos. When I was in Africa I'd see it all the time. This red and lavender is freakin' hot. Not that a Norwegian dude couldn't pull it off, actually I'm sure he probably could.
Regardless Cheers to bold choices!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:35 AM) : 

those berlutis are sick.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:36 AM) : 

STUNNING.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:51 AM) : 

This man is beautiful and his great clothing choices make him irresistible. Those hands!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:59 AM) : 

I gotta tell ya, this color combination is wild. It works, with the exception of the tie, that is a bit pale. The shape however is not very good, he seems to have no torso, and very long legs. in his case he should have used th second button of the jacket instead of the top button. It would have highlighted the front of his shirt and elongated his torso. Does anyone agree?

 

Blogger Karen said ... (12:06 PM) : 

Red is certainly a challenging color, and I find these red pants just a little too challenging. A red jacket with navy pants and a crisp white shirt -- maybe, with the right tie to pull it together. As it is, the pieces look just too random.

 

Blogger Ryan said ... (12:07 PM) : 

Bold color choices. Not easy to pull off but so well executed! He looks great! Very handsome.

 

Blogger chicfille said ... (12:12 PM) : 

anyone catch the resemblence to tyson beckford?
Classy with a twist!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:28 PM) : 

wow! love the color combinations. striking. I'm a lil unsure about the lavender but he pulls it off.

 

Blogger Smalls said ... (12:33 PM) : 

Looks great, I think the purple shirt is too much though.

I think white works better.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:53 PM) : 

Well Done!

 

Blogger Landis said ... (1:00 PM) : 

suddenly,
i feel patriotic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:19 PM) : 

forget the red pants, that skin tone is what makes the outfit! gorgeous...

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:37 PM) : 

i love the it from the shoe to the pant to the sport coat, but the lavender to tie to handkerchief is a little busy to me. however, he does wear it well. but i think this man could wear anything and look amazing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:58 PM) : 

Very difficult to get perspective in the photo, but it looks like the guy is really tall. That may explain why his tie doesn't reach his belt buckle.
I like the tie and the shirt quite a lot. I think they look great together.
I'm just not sure about the fit of the jacket. It looks a bit too fitted in the waist, and a bit too short in the sleeves.
I imagine it must be difficult to buy off the rack if you are exceptionally tall. The selections at the Big and Tall shops can be limited.
You've got to give the guy credit for pushing the envelope. The color combination is challenging, without being offensive.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:12 PM) : 

A magnificent looking young man. Even if he were not wearing a colorful ensemble, he would attract considerable attention. He is not afraid to add the extra layer of "look at me"--and yes, we happily will!

I love how the jacket accentuates his tall, lean frame. Also, I think the shaved head is nice with his face.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:14 PM) : 

Ultra snazzy outfit! Hard to pull off, but he does it with flying colors...literally. And, hello, could this guy be more handsome???

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:27 PM) : 

Fantastic color combinations, very chic.

 

Blogger reverend dick said ... (2:30 PM) : 

The pants sure jump. I do not care for the lavender shirt, but think it could work with a different tie. Purple might pull the blue(s) and red together more.

Shoes!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:33 PM) : 

Very well done.... A young urban gentlman dressed in an unexpected and refreshin way . All the swagger of a baggy jean , white xxl tee and fitted cap could'nt touch this in a million year !
Bravos

 

Blogger Jo said ... (2:37 PM) : 

so well proportioned on his frame

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:38 PM) : 

So handsome... is he a model?

 

Blogger bobbbyg said ... (2:50 PM) : 

just about perfect and even patriotic without making me nauseous. i'm sure that wasn't what he was going for but he definitely scores.

 

Blogger aviewaskew said ... (3:30 PM) : 

he wears it well..wowowow.

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (4:33 PM) : 

FANTASTIC!
Love the red pants. And the shoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:35 PM) : 

Yankee Doodle never looked so chic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:37 PM) : 

I'm infatuated.

Who is this man?

Is he single? Straight?

I need to head into the city one of these days and find myself a snappy dresser.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:53 PM) : 

great use of colour, i absoloutely love it. and really well put together :)

 

Blogger Elle said ... (6:08 PM) : 

Beautiful, bold man...would love to meet him.

 

Blogger B. FLY AND THE CITY said ... (6:39 PM) : 

OH HE GETS IT! THAT SKIN TONE WITH THOSE COLORS. SMASHING. AND THOSE SHOES. WHERE CAN I FIND HIM?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:55 PM) : 

somehow he pulls off an unusual color combination. and he looks totally at ease - i'm guessing he has done some modeling work at some point. love his whole look & the fact that he does not dress exactly like everyone else...

 

Blogger Dan in Richmond said ... (7:32 PM) : 

As often happens I wrote my comment on this post too quickly this morning and forgot something I meant to say. What this needs more than color adjustment is more contrast in texture. Mr. Rubinacci's post last week is a good illustration- he used strong colors but the textures of his jacket, pants, tie, pocket square, bracelets, etc. were pronounced. Without a relief in texture even these swathes of bright color become monotonous. The main variations in texture in this gentleman's outfit are provided by his (beautiful) shoes, and his tie. I don't know what to recommend- maybe just a more contrasting texture in the jacket? Okay, I think that's all I have to say about this post. I look forward to the day when I can put all my thoughts into one comment rather than two. I don't criticize these details to be petty. I consider it a sort of dialogue in which I hope to recognize things I should apply to myself. Sart is admirably into concept and inspiration and many of us respond with comments about details, but there are many reasons for doing that. I think I've become more conscious and constructively critical of myself since joining the discussion here. I've certainly become more conscious of the people around me and of looking for inspiration in them (probably more easily done in Italy than in Richmond Viginia, where I am- oops, being critical again).
Dan

 

Blogger FlashBastard said ... (8:11 PM) : 

OK - Don't (cyber) shoot me...

as all things are subject to perspective... here's mine;

- Shirt and Jacket Sleeves a bit (too?) short... note that they don't actually reach anywhere near his hands.
- Accented by Pant legs that are bit long for my taste - watch the fabric collect below the knee.
- Pant legs with cuffs as deep as buckets
- The tie seems a bit wide (and 'heavy')

all that to say...

- Bold color combo that MORE than works
- Suit Jacket with great color, pattern and cut (sleeve length aside)
- The tie is helped by the spread collar shirt
- Belt and shoes seem to match the ensemble (and each other) wonderfully
- Clean Cut and Clean shaven... classic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:22 PM) : 

tyson beckford?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:19 AM) : 

Why, might I ask, do men not look/dress like that in America?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:44 AM) : 

I want bright colored pants. I'm thinking deep purple...?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:53 AM) : 

nearly bought my first pair of really well made and that fit really really well (Brioni...which is unusual) red pants ...a while back ....and looking at how awesome he looks I really really regret it now......BTW people get it in your head if you want to event exist in Italian Fashion..U MUST WEAR NAVY .......and not the navy we have here ....but a particular shade they recognize over there....I cant describe it ...but most italian made clothes will offer it.
CIAO REGAZZI!
and always
THXSAR!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:18 AM) : 

OMG. Love him; love this...who else would have put that together. Just perfect.

 

Blogger hakka3 said ... (1:37 AM) : 

Great color, but yeah--even better if those pants were faded Nantucket Reds. The plaid on the jacket is a little bit too Raleigh-department-store-men's-section for me, if that makes any sense.

 

Blogger hakka3 said ... (1:40 AM) : 

Whoops! Sorry--I meant check, not plaid...

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (8:48 AM) : 

All those colours somehow work well, perhaps because of the two primary colours bringing everything together. Love the shoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:47 PM) : 

i like the color combination, red, blue and lavanda...perfect and unexpected. like the attitud..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:59 PM) : 

He's got massive hands. Looks great.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:47 PM) : 

I agree that the cut for the shirt and jacket is too short and the pants are cut too long in the standard sense but somehow it seems his height and body shape makes it work.

On the other hand those shoes are gorgeous, Berluti perhaps? I would love to get a close up of the watch he's rockin as well....

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:55 PM) : 

very dapper.

 

Blogger Harlen said ... (3:34 PM) : 

colors, colors, colors! and executed perfectly!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:36 PM) : 

THE SHOOOOEEESSSS!!!!

I would have really loved a close up on them!! ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:59 AM) : 

Is that Tyson Beckford? Sure looks like him!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:41 PM) : 

Love the deep cuff.

 

Blogger Steve said ... (8:58 PM) : 

He's a risk taker alright. A handsome fit man like that can pull it off. I wouldn't dare ... hmmm

Love to see people spice it up on the street.

The shoes are great! Beautiful color and very versatile.
(jacket sleeves a little too short, makes his large hands stand out even more, but maybe that was intentional)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:29 AM) : 

I'm quite sure those shoes are from Berluti. To be exact, Alessandro lace up court shoe!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:23 AM) : 

Moses said...

I'm quite sure those shoes are from Berluti. To be exact, Alessandro lace up court shoe!

11:29 AM

More like Crocket and Jones if I'm not mistaken. The soles on Berlutis are rather thin.

Hermestique

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:05 PM) : 

very stylish and extremely sexy

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:12 PM) : 

AMAZING STYLE...props to him but i wouldn't have chosen a grey tie...it take away the lovely lavender color...the shoes are nice but could've been a little darker...but globally the style is very very nice a head-turner that's for sure ;)

btw : i LOVE the scarf in his pocket ! gives the suit a little xtra oumf ;)

Gwen

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:16 AM) : 

Don't know how I feel about the outfit, separately, but this gentleman looks great!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:11 AM) : 

Fabulous! I'm just trying to imagine how would have the whole thing looked if the pants were of a darker shade, more like burgundy. Less of a statement maybe but definitely sharper.
Hermestique

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:10 AM) : 

I love this look :o)))

 

Blogger toon da silva said ... (4:13 AM) : 

I love this look...very fresh

 

Blogger Rebecca V. O'Neal said ... (9:28 PM) : 

he is VERY handsome!

 

Blogger Jaime Randle said ... (4:19 AM) : 

WHO IS THAT MAN AND WHERE CAN I GET HIS PHONE NUMBER?!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:43 PM) : 

is that what they are called? nantucket reds? ok, cool. what are pants from detroit called? scandal blues?

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting