This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street......Stockholm Smile

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, August 25, 2008

On the Street......Stockholm Smile


This was going to be a full-length photo but she looked so serious in each shot.

However each time I lowered the camera she would smile like this.

again, anticipation

Comments on "On the Street......Stockholm Smile"

 

Blogger Sean said ... (8:46 AM) : 

...and what a smile it is!

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (8:52 AM) : 

I have always liked this type of knitting, Norwegian or whatever it is called. I know it comes in and out of fashion, but to me it is a classic. I admire her boldness in pairing it with gingham, and keeping it basic, simple and clean. Great look! Jorge from W Palm Beach

 

Blogger Dick Goodnuts said ... (8:52 AM) : 

beautiful smile indeed!

 

Blogger Anthony said ... (9:14 AM) : 

i can't help but smile myself when I see this picture with that description.

:-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:17 AM) : 

I´m so glad the classic pixie cut is coming back again! Her clothes fit with her generous smile. That´s a typical beginning of autumn clothes combination in the nordic countries, when end of August can be really cool already. Woollen cardigan with cotton mini skirt and a heavy coat, or thick tights with a tiny top and heavy scarf - you´ll be seeing a lot of that I bet.

 

Blogger Alissa Nicolau said ... (9:20 AM) : 

adorable

 

Blogger Teena Vallerine said ... (9:21 AM) : 

What a cutie! Maybe the lack of a full length smile was due to shyness. Or maybe she wasn't happy with her shoes this day. Now we want to see the shoes! t.x

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:25 AM) : 

I love her hair! And that cardi is fantastic. Me want!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:27 AM) : 

she looks GORGEOUS!

absolutely love her smile!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:29 AM) : 

She´s beautiful.

 

Blogger Diana said ... (9:37 AM) : 

I am really envy of her. She is so beautiful. No matter what she wears, it shines harmony out of her.

I am sure, that even with serious face she is still beautiful, so if you have that full length shot, show us please.

She is a flat shoe-type girl, so perhaps she wears ballerinas or rather low boots???

 

Blogger The Domina said ... (9:40 AM) : 

So adorably sweet. And I LOVE the pixie cut and the cotton/wool pairing here.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:41 AM) : 

i like the combination of red cardigan and navy blue coat.

cute!

 

Blogger Yanti and Richard said ... (9:45 AM) : 

Someone from CDG will see that and decide to stitch the cardigan to the dress (or the cuffs of the cardie to the coat!) and, voila, all the hairdressers in Tokyo will be wearing it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:53 AM) : 

It looks sooo cold there but her beautiful smile brings warmth to the photo. Like the sweater too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:57 AM) : 

fantastic smile. fantastic style. love the dress and sweater with the collar peeking out. the black tights and the navy coat. short, cute gamine hairstyle. she's got it going on!

 

Blogger Cate O'Malley said ... (10:19 AM) : 

I love the look, her hair and that infectious smile.

 

Blogger Cate O'Malley said ... (10:20 AM) : 

I love her sweater. How cute. Her smile is infectious. She's a beauty.

 

Blogger Miguel said ... (10:24 AM) : 

And I am glad you cought that smile... Beutiful indeed. Bella, preciosa.

Pd. I love the cardigan too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:24 AM) : 

She's gorgeous! Her smile is so infectious! i love her haircut and the way her cardigan is working with the rest of her outfit - sort of trompe l'oeil collar and cuffs.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:26 AM) : 

Beautiful lady and beautiful smile !!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:39 AM) : 

She's so cute. Lover her style.

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (10:42 AM) : 

Great shot! Love her haircut and her smile.

 

Blogger starbahks said ... (10:42 AM) : 

i love the layering.
how cute!

 

Blogger Liz said ... (10:47 AM) : 

i think what we have all learned here is that swedish folks are all very beautiful. anyway...i would totally wear what she's wearing, except for that it almost never gets cold enough to do so where i live.

 

Blogger Jazzbuff630 said ... (11:04 AM) : 

She reminds me of the song "Stockholm Sweetnin'". Looks a little like Mia Farrow. What a cutie.

 

Blogger John Danner said ... (11:07 AM) : 

Adorable girl from the countryside. Whether or not that is right, that's what I'm getting!

 

Blogger ricola said ... (11:12 AM) : 

Winter is coming. Excellent job of layering the sweater and coat. Beautiful colours that match her own nicely. A little odd how her shirt waist is sticking out like that though, looks like she forgot to wear
trousers.

 

Blogger Yanti Amos said ... (11:13 AM) : 

Love the fact that this silhouette seems so spontaneous. She could well have woken up this morning, looked out the window, noticed that the wind was up and pulled out some tights, an old jacket and comfy cardie to pop over her nightshirt. Not forgetting to brush those pearly whites, she would have headed for the bakery and newsstand only to bump, whoops, on the way, unexpectedly into The Sart!!...giving her something to grin so impishly about all day.

 

Blogger PunkiMeowMeow said ... (11:13 AM) : 

Very sweet look and smile. She pulls of this look effortlessly.

 

Blogger mette said ... (11:14 AM) : 

Yes,she really smiles nicely and is very cute and pretty. A brave gesture to mix the colorful thick knit with that small,light dress. Well maybe her tights are 60-80 d, otherwise she might freeze herself. Don´t know what the temp. was when you took this photo though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:23 AM) : 

She looks wonderful: very happy and confident. I love the hair -- my cut is just like her's and it definitely brought out a lot of similar qualities in me too. I think a great cut really does pull an outfit or style together. She's the perfect example!

 

Blogger Baking With Plath said ... (11:33 AM) : 

She is so precious!

 

Blogger Melissa W said ... (11:37 AM) : 

I love the knit coat and her smile is infectious!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:38 AM) : 

You have a gift for taking photos of people that goes beyond anticipation. I think it's more like empathy. You clearly are able to establish a relationship with your subjects in a very short time.

 

Blogger whyioughtta said ... (11:38 AM) : 

Love this ensemble--it suits her so well. Would be great if you could add a little shot of her feet...very curious about her footwear selection.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:39 AM) : 

I'm breathless!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:45 AM) : 

She likes you more than the camera, Mr. S. I'm glad you caught her in the act.

A rumpled cotton dress, a stranded knit cardigan and a pixie cut would be only so much fiber without that wonderful face. Aren't people wonderful?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:56 AM) : 

Its' a shame you couldn't have gotten a full length shot with her looking like that it would have been amazing. Then again it works how it is, as it makes me want to go buy those cloths :)

 

Blogger Anthea said ... (12:14 PM) : 

What a cute picture, but even better when you described what was happening when you took the picture. Love her look too :)

 

Blogger Serg Riva said ... (12:18 PM) : 

Like a forgotten song found on your ipod, her smile is a pleasant surprise.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:19 PM) : 

She reminds me of old pictures of my mother from the late 70's when she met my father and they were young lovers in Uppsala. Minus the horrible 70's glasses.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:29 PM) : 

When I saw this picture I scented the clean smell of lavender.
Cristina

 

Blogger Moda Trash said ... (12:32 PM) : 

She haves a cool style!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:33 PM) : 

amazing. Everything, as usual.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:36 PM) : 

Beautiful. I am curious - what is she wearing for footwear?

 

Blogger jessica said ... (12:38 PM) : 

ok, but now i am SOOO curious about what her shoes look like!!

 

Blogger Candace said ... (12:57 PM) : 

awww look at that smile...the best accessory!!

 

Blogger Kwana said ... (1:00 PM) : 

The smile pulls it all together.

 

Blogger kacy said ... (1:21 PM) : 

her smile is her best piece of all.

i would think smiles work the same on any wearer, even if it's like, a bad hair day. so go, flash it!

 

Blogger Katy said ... (1:33 PM) : 

I love everything about this shot! She mixes the colors wonderfully and I love the knitting/embroidery on her jacket! I love how she mixed nautical (blue and white striped skirt) with folksy (the cardigan).

 

Blogger Coryn said ... (1:35 PM) : 

Oooh, I really want to copy this outfit for the fall semester at university! Very stylish!

Her smile is darling too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:42 PM) : 

is it that cold in sweden already? I am jealous

 

Blogger S (formerly of Modern-Guilt) said ... (2:12 PM) : 

Everything about this girl is beautiful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:19 PM) : 

Cette jeune femme est rayonnante.

 

Blogger Terry said ... (2:23 PM) : 

She reminds me of Natalie Portman with her smile. Beautiful.

 

Blogger Caroline said ... (2:44 PM) : 

she is gorgeous!

 

Blogger Lisa said ... (3:20 PM) : 

Haha that's a clever photography trick.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:34 PM) : 

O the master you are.

Isn't it wonderful that you can frame your subject as you deem fit.
How we carry ourselves and wish to present ourselves is an aspect,and maybe even a window into, our personality. You usurp that personality to paste your own image of reality. How silly of people to believe individuality, for it can only exist by its own pure representation, can be fully captured in a photograph. Not that there is anything wrong with putting your mark on your image, you are the artist.

Yet the assumption in the last line of your post, that anticipation has revealed something more raw, is incorrect.
By touting the need to anticipate to achieve a great shot, you give more truth-value to that later shot. Yet it is as much a crafted fragment of reality as any other photograph.

There seems something terribly wrong with photographs-- the ability to possess what others , perhaps foolishly, understand as reality. Maybe its the audience who is at fault though, for believing in the reality of photographs.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:37 PM) : 

The mix match are very stylish. I love the cardi. Too bad here is sooo... hot, we have no reason to put on cardi..

 

Blogger porter hovey said ... (3:40 PM) : 

Awwww. . . she's just adorable!! Too cute!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:04 PM) : 

I love her expression! so lively!

http://www.hm.com/us/?deeplink=tokyo;view;Tokyo-fccd25ad-22eb-4d90-973d-571a8b401c66-94-2.wmv#tokyo08

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:07 PM) : 

I love the Diamond patern on the cardigan.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:12 PM) : 

She's darling, and the smile is refreshing. Great pic.

 

Blogger Babbling Brooke said ... (4:26 PM) : 

Short haircuts complement beautiful skin, full lips and a big smile. In NZ we are out of season for the photos here - they make me yearn for a new winter wardrobe, and spring is a few days away!

 

Blogger Jonathan said ... (4:34 PM) : 

I love the pixie cut. And that sweater pretty nice too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:53 PM) : 

I'd like to start out by saying that I absolutely love your blog. I've been visiting it for about a year now, and I'm always inspired by people's creativity, and their energy that seems to come straight through your photos.

My comment, however, is totally unrelated. I'm sure you've seen this, but just in case...
http://thecatorialist.blogspot.com/

I laughed for a little, and then just felt strange. In any case, have a nice day!

 

Blogger Duchesse said ... (5:18 PM) : 

I looked up the weather in Stockholm. 16 to 18C is not cold, and I'm commenting from Canada, where it's 2 degrees warmer than that today.
A sweater AND tights AND sweater-coat?
Vibrantly beautiful girl!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:23 PM) : 

OMG! She is adorable! I want to wear my hair like hers!
I love the sweater peeping out of the coat sleeves, the dark middle area of the sweater pulls the jacket in to make a great outfit. I love the rumpled dress and leggings too. I wonder what she was wearing on her feet?

 

Blogger La Clocharde said ... (5:24 PM) : 

I like her look. She looks so nice and innocent.
I'm a big fan of knits too...
But my favourite of all the pic is definitely her haircut...I instantly thought of Jean Seberg in "A bout de souffle" when I saw her.
Just lovely.

 

Blogger londondog said ... (5:53 PM) : 

I love the clashing of patterns and fabric textures. She pulls it of as she is simply beautiful in an understated and very fresh way. I love the way her cardie sleeves peek out at the cuffs. Lovely!

 

Blogger San Smith said ... (5:54 PM) : 

this is such an adorable photo - good catch ! I cant imagine such a happy person looking making a serious pose :)

 

Blogger David Fang said ... (6:17 PM) : 

I think I'm in love. Great shot!

 

Blogger FoundVintageStyle said ... (6:59 PM) : 

Effortless chic, personified.

p.s. I keep your blog link on my blog to click in regularly... love it!

 

Blogger Hannah Stephenson said ... (7:36 PM) : 

Gorgeous!

This shot makes me look forward to autumn and layers.

www.thestorialist.blogspot.com

 

Blogger junglesiren said ... (8:40 PM) : 

She's a perfect 10. I love what she's wearing but mostly it's about the fantastic hair and absolutely radiant smile.

 

Blogger chelsea said ... (8:41 PM) : 

she's breath-taking. i completely agree with everything that kate g. already said. fabulous work, sart.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:52 PM) : 

Love this so much! it's just charming as is hair and smile. Could you please post the full length as well; I'd really love to see her shoes or Boots!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:14 PM) : 

I love this so much, I cannot tell you. So fresh! So natural! And speaking of which, I always find it amusing when people go on and on about how beautiful the Swedish people are. I see lots of beautiful people around me in North America every day - or elsewhere - but the difference is that Swedish people seem to look like people who actually walk places! And eat healthy food! (And, maybe it's the pictures you've shown, but they don't seem to bother much with makeup for daytime.) I like this much better than the movie-starlet wannabe looks that so many people over here seem to covet.

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (9:29 PM) : 

great shot! just adorable!

 

Blogger LRB said ... (9:35 PM) : 

A gorgeous smile like that is all the style you need.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:11 PM) : 

she is absolutely adorable!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:20 PM) : 

soo adorable--I would completely wear this if I lived in chilly stockholm rather than sweltering south carolina!

 

Blogger P. Lee said ... (10:34 PM) : 

bet she's a fan of belle & sebastian. everyone should have at least a couple of peacoat in the closet like this sweet girl does...

 

Blogger missbuckmaster said ... (10:37 PM) : 

I have her haircut - and often feel like I look like my little brother - so thank you for posting this lovely photo and reminding me it's all about the attitude! she's soooo cute and although we've had amazing weather here in Indiana this summer this photo makes me anxious for autumn, sweaters & tights. :)

 

Blogger Miss Cavendish said ... (11:25 PM) : 

This charming young woman is absolutely beautiful--perfect haircut; gorgeous smile; gamine style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:11 AM) : 

So tell us more about the
shoes!Anticipation indeed...

 

Blogger deanna said ... (12:58 AM) : 

love the combination.

 

Blogger Cassaundra said ... (1:43 AM) : 

I really dig this look. Not to mention, she is a lovely woman. Ahh ... to be in Stockholm.

 

Blogger Spökplumpen said ... (3:12 AM) : 

Suddenly everything was 100% sunny day.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:16 AM) : 

Scott, are you coming to Norway aswell? Oslo or any other town?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:00 AM) : 

elle est adorable!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:31 AM) : 

The smile makes the whole outfit.

 

Blogger aynymd said ... (9:04 AM) : 

I love the look and her beautiful smile!!

 

Blogger Miriam Parkman said ... (10:53 AM) : 

I met this girl last summer at a festival! She was really nice and I also had to take a photo of her... She was so cute! Like a mix between Twiggy, Audrey Tatou and Audrey Hepburn, I think.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:11 AM) : 

She is beautiful!!

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (12:21 PM) : 

She's adorable. Love the short hair.

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (7:50 PM) : 

She has a beautiful smile!
Adorable girl, adorable outfit!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:14 PM) : 

a modern day amelia earhart!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:42 PM) : 

I think. I should want to marry her.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:14 AM) : 

this photo springs alive. lovely girl.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:20 AM) : 

Just FYI, people - it's NOT that cold up here (yet), we've got around 68 degrees, not too shoddy.

I think people (like this gorgeous girl) are just OVER the summer look and feel of clothes and want to move into fall. Does that make sense?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:41 AM) : 

Wow, look at all the 100+ comments she has had so far!

This girl is so beautiful! Her smile is so heart-warming and I absolutely adore her style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:49 PM) : 

The best smile in the world! She is like Amelie! Great photo...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:17 PM) : 

She is a doll!!!

 

Blogger MM said ... (2:01 AM) : 

i normally hate those sweaters but on her it lookd so fab

 

Blogger loveology said ... (7:14 AM) : 

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!!!!!
Love that outfit and that smile is amazing.....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:58 AM) : 

this is beautiful and sweet
i like it a lot

 

Blogger kd-m said ... (2:57 PM) : 

adorable, she reminds me of natalie portman in garden state. understated and beautiful!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:18 PM) : 

she's so cute!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:28 AM) : 

I know that you probably didn't intend your description of this photo to be sexist, Sart, but it does come across that way to me. Your words uphold the stereotype that "women 'should' smile; only men are allowed to be serious."

 

Blogger john said ... (8:20 PM) : 

Great smile and even better, such a great haircut!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:05 PM) : 

I would never have thought of wearing a Fair Isle?patterned sweater with rumpled gingham cotton, but she makes it work. Love her haircut and smile!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:49 AM) : 

I'm in LOVE.....
can you play cupid?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:03 AM) : 

very lovely!

 

Blogger a girl dreaming of a wild, dangerous life tinged with anarchy said ... (1:46 PM) : 

she is such a darling! i love her hair

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:39 PM) : 

Wow! I know her... Not a fan of the sweater but I like the dress

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:27 PM) : 

Thank you for a picture that champions how beautiful a woman can look with short hair. I have this haircut and love it. It takes confidence to chop off your locks and let the world see you with nothing to hide behind.

She's lovely and makes the whole look seem effortless, now that is what style is all about.

 

Blogger nidyawiguno said ... (5:14 AM) : 

beautiful girl and beautiful smile :)
yet, her outfit is so cute!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:58 PM) : 

adore the haircut.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:55 PM) : 

I guess a full length photo was too intimidating.
She looks beautiful anyway.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:14 AM) : 

Delightful! Think I may print this to brighten rainy days in London.

Also love the typical play in the design of Norge/Sverige knits.

:D

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting