This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....Bryant Park, NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, September 11, 2008

On the Street.....Bryant Park, NYC

Comments on "On the Street.....Bryant Park, NYC"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:33 AM) : 

This mans dressed like jazzy jeff! Like the matching outfit.

 

Blogger Dan in Richmond said ... (8:48 AM) : 

This doesn't look bad as a one-off statement although the patchwork shorts suit seems gimmicky. I also don't see this as being a real expression of his individual sense of style since the effect came more or less readymade. I like the polo in a somewhat unexpected color choice for the suit, which works (and with the collar flipped! That's my favorite touch).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:49 AM) : 

Now I know what they mean by 'urban camouflage'...

 

Blogger Gia said ... (9:04 AM) : 

very intersting, but not quite what i will pick as a great style...anyway i would have chosen different sneakers:)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:07 AM) : 

Puhleeze! Why is it cool to look dorky?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:15 AM) : 

Raised-up polo collars...very innovative. Although I would have preferred a brighter color, perhaps to equally rival the patchwork all over him.
Somehow, the patchwork nostalgically reminds me of grandma's tablecloth, am not sure if that's good! Just to be sure, I flipped back to look at the picture again, and decided that grandma's patchwork tablecloth when worn isn't working for me, I prefer it over the table.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:33 AM) : 

I really like this. A bit costumy and dorky and I would have chosen other sneakers, but I think the key here, as in most patchwork cases is the tone of the patchwork itself. I would make a parallell to my great grandma's pillow rather than a tablecloth, which I realise might sound even more strange, but to me it all looks cosy and laid back cool. Oh, and pants rather than shorts would have ruined it all for me.

 

Blogger wideyed said ... (9:44 AM) : 

I don't know. This isn't really working. I can't tell if it's because the fabric is wierd or if it's just the cut of the shorts.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:50 AM) : 

on a quotidian level, how does ANYone keep their shoes so white? i keep throwing mine out every time they start to look grubby....does anyone have a secret?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:52 AM) : 

I've seen this guy around New York a few times... GUESS WHAT: he was wearing the same outfit.

I guess this is his go to ensemble.

 

Blogger Scott W said ... (10:05 AM) : 

Okay outfit. Nice hands.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:36 AM) : 

i would have liked to see a brightly colored polo instead and perhaps some dark brown oxfords with no socks. something a little more "dressed" looking to contrast with the old quilt look of the patchwork

 

Blogger Emme A said ... (10:50 AM) : 

I like his expression and his glasses !

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:53 AM) : 

Both the jacket and shorts are from the Engineered Garments S/S 08 collection. He pulls the look off well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:14 AM) : 

Is it the outfit, or the uninspired "I'm posing for a picture" pose?

Both, I think. Shorts suits don't do it for me. Patchwork shorts suits REALLY don't do it for me. If it were just the jacket -- but no, not working.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:10 PM) : 

B A D. daring but bad. looks like my mom's comforter and she's got terrible taste. love ya mom.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:15 PM) : 

Anon 9:50 AM

For met it's very simple. I don't wear white shoes. Ever.

As for this man's "outfit", a bit creepy, in my opinion.

 

Blogger Gypmar said ... (1:26 PM) : 

Oh dear. I tend to be a "more is more" kind of person, but not in this case. All of that pattern and texture comes across as dowdy. Like a two-piece men's version of a housecoat. He's certainly got the legs for shorts...switch these oddly-cut bad boys out for a pair of khaki shorts and he wouldn't look like he'd been waylaid by the quilt my husband's grandmother made for him when he graduated from high school. Though kudos for wearing what he likes. Who cares what I think? :)

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (1:37 PM) : 

Nice find, Sart. I love this young man's hair, glasses, polo, and jacket. I don't like the shorts, shoes, and side burns. What more is there to say? From the waist up (except for the sideburns), this is a great look.

 

Blogger Austin.Garnett said ... (1:56 PM) : 

dig it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:15 PM) : 

To me he is treating the suit as an eye-popping accessory, i. e. the rest of him is pretty normal and expected for a guy of his appearance (polo, white shoes, normal hair, only slightly interesting glasses) and it is the suit that makes him stand out.

I think if you're going to wear a suit like that, the rest of you had better conform to its wackiness -- a suit isn't just an accessory, it's the foundation.

 

Blogger myfootaroundtheworld said ... (3:06 PM) : 

this jacket sounds familiar ...... I deeply think your bermuda will be great on me with red high eels !
ciao bello .....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:16 PM) : 

Just as I suspected, Stan Smith's. The King of all Sneakers.

 

Blogger CULTURE CREATORS said ... (3:17 PM) : 

Interesting.............







xCC

 

Blogger Linda said ... (3:24 PM) : 

OH NO YOU DINT!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:28 PM) : 

I really love this as a piece, but mostly the man's stance. It personifies: Here I am. This is what I'm wearing. Period.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:21 PM) : 

Why are people so down on the shoes? I think they look pretty dope with the shorts and jacket--kind of an academic/90s nostalgic look--as if to represent the simultaneous pull between and crossover of the modern academy and 90s nyc--I totally dig. Anyone else?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:37 PM) : 

The patchwork feels like something a grandmother would see in a quilting magazine and think "I bet that would make a cute suit for my grandson"...which doesn't appeal to me. If it was just the shorts, with the button up shirt and no jacket, I might like it. But,as it is, it's overkill.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:47 PM) : 

I hope that outfit was either painfully expensive or completely handmade. Those are the only two things that could give it any sort of cred.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:43 PM) : 

My grandmother had curtains like that ...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:44 PM) : 

love patchwork! reminds me of comme des garcons. luv the suit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:52 PM) : 

Um looks like an outfit made out of my grammies quilt.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:55 PM) : 

I'm not feeling this. Although, maybe if the pieces were worn separately...


Nah. ;)

 

Blogger sarahjung said ... (7:16 PM) : 

I do like his glasses...

 

Blogger Teena Vallerine said ... (7:21 PM) : 

Love the quilt! Would prefer to see it thrown over a sofa... t.x

 

Blogger junglesiren said ... (7:48 PM) : 

It's certainly a statement but what I'm hearing is probably not what it's meant to say. I do like his daring approach to style and the originality of it. I also like his choice of polo shirt color and his glasses (everyone's wearing rectangular "hip" frames these days).

The cut of the jacket, in what looks like light-weight denimish fabric, isn't horrible nor is the cut of the shorts - for summer/casual. But patchwork (except in a vintage denim blazer or a 3/4 length leather coat - both of which I confess to owning) isn't very appealing. And white K-Swiss (I think) look too "dental assistant" to me and don't enhance this, um, "unusual" outfit.

Viva l'originale!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:51 PM) : 

isn't he an actor? I feel like I've seen him somewhere...i like the outfit! it's homey and smart all at once.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:54 PM) : 

Those are Stan Smith's. How could any one be down on those? One of the top ten sneakers of all time in my opinion.

He looks obnoxious street wear. It's a fine look to me

 

Blogger ellastica said ... (8:20 PM) : 

he's got balls for wearing this.
the cut of the jacket through the shoulders vs the waist and the tapered shorts aren't very flattering.
the pattern would've been more appealing and less cutesy without the polka dots. it's sort of laura ashley meets ralph lauren.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:32 PM) : 

I think if you removed this fellow's glasses, this whole thing may fall apart.

Lynchpin.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:56 PM) : 

i kind of like it, the way he's standing kind of adds to the mood. The suit is already kind of eclectic-looking, and his slightly nerdy, uncomfortable, deer-in-the-headlights pose help him pull it off more than if he went around with a big smirk on his face (which might make him look kind of like a clown).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:42 PM) : 

very intersting, luv the indigo concept...luv the patches..
he pull it off..

where did he get it?

overall...nicee..
keep it up dude..


wiiee
adil sg

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:28 PM) : 

When I was a Hippie I _________?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:35 PM) : 

is that the new hm cdg?

 

Blogger Wes Janisen said ... (1:07 AM) : 

I like the attempt at the jacket and shorts look, but this fabric doesn't really do it for me. I was brought back to my childhood looking at this photo- my parents had a sofa that looked a lot like this.

 

Blogger ricola said ... (4:16 AM) : 

It's like a spin off of Madras...like Japanese infused Dutch Madras.

 

Blogger Hiphype said ... (5:14 AM) : 

Didn't quite like the patch work..

I think it's a little overboard in a sense that looks uncomfortable..

But I like the combination with the white sneakers..

Over all good..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:21 AM) : 

I like this outfit. It might be ready-made, not bespoke, but the rendering of the outfit is purely original. Nice photo, Mr. Schuman

Anon 9:50--409 and a tooth brush for a quicky clean. Don't scrub too hard, it's only dyed leather, mostly grayish underneath. Mild soap, scrub brush for the soles, 409 for the leather,rinse lightly and remoisturize with some Armor All or a stingy nano-thin coating of baby oil. Anal? Yes, but I have shoes I've maintained years this way. White is hard to maintain, all scuffs don't come out, so you live with them and call it character.--HB

 

Blogger b said ... (7:11 AM) : 

I love this look -- especially the shoes! Navy/white with something aqua -- a favorite of mine! I think this jacket and these shorts would be SO FUN to own/mix/match -- they could be separated and dressed up AND, of course, down all the way to the beach, love it!
Thanks!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:41 AM) : 

This looks like clearance J. Crew.... maybe outlet clearance J. Crew

 

Blogger magstermash said ... (8:47 AM) : 

The first thing I thought when I saw this photo was that I can't knock him over even if I tried running toward him at full speed. His stance and feet are so solid!

I love his jacket. As an Asian American myself, patchwork quilts aren't part of East Asian traditions so when we see a patchwork pattern like this, "grandma" usually isn't what comes to mind.

Symbols can be quite limiting in this sense and it takes an open mind to bring fashion beyond those limitations. That's why I love other cultural interpretations--it lends an entirely new meaning to everything.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:30 PM) : 

Ohh I have a headache. If you look at it too long you get one too... separate yes awesome together nope.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:44 PM) : 

hilarious, sad and hilarious.

 

Blogger Brian said ... (5:00 PM) : 

Mr. Yunioshi: Miss Gorightry!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:05 PM) : 

woah. shorts are never in. i can imagine the jacket being alright with the right shirt and pants.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:18 AM) : 

So adorably cute! So dorky! Is that a ring on his ring-finger on this left hand? Why are all the good-looking, dorky-dressing, men taken?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:26 PM) : 

21st century version of classical "east meets west" mix. But you have to live in nyc to wear it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:17 PM) : 

this is too matchy-matchy for me. I think maybe the quilty shorts with a different jacket. and different shoes. very cute legs.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:52 AM) : 

Great frames, great haircut, nice legs. The suit: wow, okay, hmm. Someone was asking about keeping white kicks white: Mr. Clean Magic Eraser pads work brilliantly on all white rubber parts of sneakers.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:51 PM) : 

I like the glasses.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:29 PM) : 

that's based on a traditional japanese patchwork quilt using indigo fabric. David Suguki of Engineered Garments.

 

Blogger Rich said ... (10:11 PM) : 

Fantastic! Especially love the interplay of the colors of the minty/aqua shirt and the blue "suit". And the riff on Chinese peasant suits, and the upturned collar.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:23 PM) : 

he has a great resemblance with my long lost cousin who lives in NY

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting