This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....Robert, NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

On the Street.....Robert, NYC

Comments on "On the Street.....Robert, NYC"

 

Blogger stacy said ... (8:15 AM) : 

with no belt and the classic glasses his ascot is the perfect 'amount' of accessory.

 

Blogger Jonathan said ... (8:25 AM) : 

I'm torn. Belt or no belt? Either way, there's just enough rumple.

 

Blogger InStudio Blog said ... (8:33 AM) : 

Add a tweed jacket with patches on the elbows,a Virginia Slims cigarette in one hand, a whiskey sour in the other,loafers without socks (even in winter in Colorado) and you've got the psych/soc prof who flunked me in college. Sorry, I'm sure this is a nice man but, that's where his look took me. But I'm not bitter.

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (8:46 AM) : 

Ah! Dont you love it when clothes appear worn just so, not crisp-new but at that point where they just feel too comfortable and are not frayed to the point you can't wear them to the office? I like the shirt in an almost chambray fabric and the button fly, it always makes such a big difference! He violates one of my father's rules: no belt!!! But I feel the pants are tailored enough that it looks good, and also agree w Stacy at 8:15. Not sure I will try the ascot, if Hermes makes some cotton ones I might. Jorge from W Palm Beach

 

Blogger Dan in Richmond said ... (9:08 AM) : 

Nothing wrong here except that before enlarging the image I thought he was about fifteen years older than he must be- He might want to think about that. I think it's probably the beard/glasses and the associations with an ascot being slightly old-fashioned (I'm not sure if this is properly an ascot, but that idea). Up close he looks great including the ascot, the colors of which are really handsome.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:23 AM) : 

Love the tucked in scarf.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:27 AM) : 

I like his classes and beard. The total look is stylish because of silent details, such as buttons instead of zip in pants, monogrammed shirt, dark buttons in shirt. The scarf is tied up in good mood, I hope it is not too tight.

 

Blogger iEbun said ... (9:37 AM) : 

great fit. I'd rock the hell out of that.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:10 AM) : 

My bf is also named Robert...don't know whether he'll be as stylish as this R when he gets older haha:)

 

Blogger meredith said ... (10:27 AM) : 

I have the same impression as moi 8:33 am. I love professors and the professorial look, but the grey beard and ascot gives me heebie-jeebies. I'm afraid I'll get trapped by him at the department head's cocktail party and I'll not get to talk to anyone interesting. (I'm sorry to the fellow in the picture! I also am sure you must be a nice man.)

 

Blogger Michael Joseph Owens said ... (10:29 AM) : 

The scarf is awesome. Looks perfect with the shirt, beard, glasses, flyaway hair. Love the button-up pants, but maybe they're just a little snug on his waist. Who cares, it's a handsome Gerald Murphy-kind of look.

 

Blogger The Domina said ... (10:31 AM) : 

LOVE IT! He looks so stylish and put together with just one well-worn accessory.

 

Blogger Miguel said ... (10:39 AM) : 

I definetly love the glasses and the ascot...

 

Blogger Dan in Richmond said ... (10:48 AM) : 

I don't think you'd wear a belt with these pants, would you (Jorge)? They appear to have buckles/straps on the sides and no belt loops.

 

Blogger PunkiMeowMeow said ... (11:43 AM) : 

The first thing I noticed was no belt. I was contemplating with or without just like the other comments. I feel a belt would perhaps brings some balance to this ensemble. Just a thought. Overall, a nice, casual and sporty look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:33 PM) : 

He looked a little bit like Johan Lindeberg in the face, and his style is quite Lindeberg looking to. Maybe it is? I think he has a pretty cool look any way! Agree with earlier anonymus about the details.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:39 PM) : 

I love it except that it looks as though maybe his top button is done up? I think it would look better with an open collar with the scarf. He looks as though he is choking. Great glasses, beard and hair, too. He looks like a John Irving character (or, actually, like John Irving himself.)

 

Blogger bomb.ass.ting said ... (12:39 PM) : 

Awesome fit I agree and I think this is an outfit that most men no matter their age can pull off. Some would look flamboyant doing it though while he does not.

 

Blogger Cassaundra said ... (1:02 PM) : 

neat!

 

Blogger gabrielazeanadal@hotmail.com said ... (1:06 PM) : 

Beautiful, a blue shirt with pushed up sleeves always looks great!

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (1:16 PM) : 

Incredible photo, Sart. I'm really enjoying this pic. I love the chambray shirt, glasses, scarf, and flat-front khakis. Not a big fan of missing belts though. I love the monogrammed front. Slim Aarons used to do the same thing to his OCBDs.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:23 PM) : 

Hmm. He buttoned the top button of his shirt and then tuckd in the scarf over it. Never seen that before.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:40 PM) : 

I like the complimentary textures of shirt and trousers. The colors are great for late summer. A little too much accessorizing up top, though. Choose one: beard, glasses, or ascot. The ascot is more individualistic. Those glasses and beard steal individuality and wearing one and/or the other makes you look just like everyone else with them.
Technically, the trousers don't need a belt because they have side tabs. However, I think side tabs look better as part of a whole suit as the jacket interrupts the rumpled line at the side of the trousers and allows the top of the waist to be framed by the opening sides of the jacket and the tie. In this case, trousers with belt loops and belt may have contributed more to the casual tone.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:42 PM) : 

i do like the scarf (or ascot as i just learned), glasses, punk hair, and subtle stripe in the pant. the shirt kinda reminds me of an old denim shirt..which i'm not exactly a fan of.

 

Blogger Mira Vales said ... (2:07 PM) : 

timeless and relaxed - love the rolled-up sleeves and the colour of his shirt.It proves that it is a style that matters, not fashion:)

 

Blogger Hong said ... (3:03 PM) : 

So this is how you look cool without a belt.
One question, Sart.
Did you take a bust shot of this guy because his shoes mismatched the rest?

 

Blogger Jana FitzGerald said ... (3:09 PM) : 

Is he intending to wear the scarf as an ascot? I don't think so, but I think that might be the only part of the outfit I don't like. It just seems like too much. I don't really like when men wear scarves like this, tucked into a collared shirt (which doesnt need one -- esp. this nice, blue one)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:26 PM) : 

this is a fantastic look. Appreciate the shot was taken in NYC, it could have been in any Italian city as this is such an Italian look!

 

Blogger Jean said ... (3:57 PM) : 

How appealing! The pants look wonderful and the shirt, and the glasses (on him). I can almost smell that wonderful blend of ironed cotton and clean skin. I only wish he'd put the scarf down into the collar instead of on top. But that's just a nit.

 

Blogger junglesiren said ... (4:08 PM) : 

I love his face. Great beard and glasses. His clothes are fine but just to knit pick, I would prefer a) if he wore a belt and b) if his top button were not buttoned. The way the scarf is tucked in looks too fussy to me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:11 PM) : 

may just be me, but on first look I thought Derrick Miller had just let his fashionable stubble grow...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:00 PM) : 

He looks comfortable. Great look.--HB

 

Blogger hemoglobin said ... (5:01 PM) : 

awww
i love his the frame of his glasses!!
and him~~

 

Blogger milenkos said ... (6:06 PM) : 

I think it's a rejuvenating take on the old, risk-less khaki-and-blue shirt combo. no belt and tie, put a neatly tucked scarf and the look is totally transformed. As to a comment that preferred the look on a younger man: well, I'd say "you're only as old as you look." Be it physically or on your choice of accessories. This one's got spezzatura points.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:02 PM) : 

love the texture of the shirt.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:09 PM) : 

Sart:
what kind of shoes was he wearing with this!!? I love the classic look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:45 AM) : 

HE IS ROBERT RABENSTEINER....THE BEST MAN STYLIST IN THE WORLD....WHAT ALSE TO SAY!

 

Blogger Rich said ... (7:14 AM) : 

Adore scarves, bandannas, etc worn any way at all but especially like this, with quite a bit of skill having gone into tying it

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:45 AM) : 

Love love love love love

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:09 AM) : 

sometimes beards look scruffy, this is one of those times.

 

Blogger Steph said ... (8:57 PM) : 

I love his scarf/ascot.

I'm going to figure out how to wear one... eventhough I'm female.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:22 PM) : 

very pretty beard. but he looks a bit strangled by the scarf. still...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:26 AM) : 

He makes it easy looking. I like the scarf.. it suits well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:02 AM) : 

Maximilien Robespierre, 1758-1794

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting