This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.... Back Buttoned, Milan

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, November 24, 2008

On the Street.... Back Buttoned, Milan

Comments on "On the Street.... Back Buttoned, Milan"

 

Blogger starbahks said ... (10:03 AM) : 

i recently saw a coat like this in Manhattan - so unique! I wonder if it's hard to put on... haha

 

Blogger Stratos Bacalis said ... (10:04 AM) : 

Brilliant - so elegant! I bet this was taken before the current bad weather hit Europe!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:05 AM) : 

Look at those fabulous shoes on the woman on the right. Great shot!

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (10:08 AM) : 

gorgeous!

 

Blogger Hadley Makes said ... (10:13 AM) : 

Oh, how I LOVE buttons at the back. I'm sometimes temped to turn my cardigans around and wear them buttoned up the back, too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:21 AM) : 

very chic. however, i bet she had some help getting dressed that morning!! that cant be easy to get into. the lady walking next to her has some hot pumps too!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:24 AM) : 

Is this jacket practical? Other thing that amazes me is that these girls really still go around bare feet like that!? It's COLD. I was in Milano one monht ago, and I couldn't have imaged to go out like that! WOW! Superwomen?

 

Blogger Klever Girl said ... (10:24 AM) : 

I love love love, what is the purse she's carrying???

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:39 AM) : 

maybe there are also buttons down the front? I'd love to see...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:41 AM) : 

Great photo! i love the way she is positioned against all the other people in solid colours that compliment that lovely coatdress. It has a classic and timeless feel. Lke her hair too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:51 AM) : 

Everyone is saying it's a coat, backwards, but it's actually a dress, put on properly.
And it's FABULOUS! That is true elegance. And I'm really into the navy blue. I'm calling it the new black, people.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:51 AM) : 

It's really cool but I wonder though what she does when she needs to pee?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:08 PM) : 

oh my gosh...that dress is ADORABLE!!! (i wish i could see the front though...) love that shoes and bag, but the shoes of the other lady is kinda distracting.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:08 PM) : 

I love this photo and wish this is what my world looked like. The dress is stunning, and carries with it the sexy twist of needing help getting it buttoned...and unbuttoned!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:09 PM) : 

miss mary mack mack mack
all dressed in black black black
with silver buttons buttons buttons
all down her back back back

first thing that came to mind :)

 

Blogger Petulia said ... (12:25 PM) : 

Love the buttons and the fabric as well.

 

Blogger Evelyn said ... (12:33 PM) : 

i like her hairstyle and the button-down dress!!!

 

Blogger Stephanie Clayton said ... (12:33 PM) : 

Reading the comments, I do also wonder how she got dressed. Doesn't matter, though...the unknown element makes this ensemble more appealing and interesting. So chic, classy, elegant!
The modern but classic gray pumps add further appeal.

 

Blogger junglesiren said ... (12:47 PM) : 

Beautiful from hair to sole. Even the bag (Gucci?) is nice.

I assume the coat buttons in the front as well.

 

Blogger Hilda said ... (1:21 PM) : 

Love the dress, shoes, bag and hair. She's gorgeous!

 

Blogger Wanderlusting said ... (1:22 PM) : 

Lovey shot, great moody colours and a great coat!

 

Blogger Dominica said ... (1:23 PM) : 

Very sexy outfit...Imagine you have a date with her and at the end of the night you have the honour of unbuttoning....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:44 PM) : 

Could it be a dress rather than a coat? Then she'd only have to get into it once a day. I had a dress like this. I had to slip it on over the head with just the top few buttons undone, then reach back and button those. Not too hard.

 

Blogger K'arhol said ... (1:44 PM) : 

JUST CHARMING !!!

the dark bohemiian

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:53 PM) : 

CELINE DION!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:26 PM) : 

!kool siht ekil i erus ton ma I

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:34 PM) : 

One doesn't see much navy/dark blue but this is lovely. I like the close values of coat/dress, bag, shoes. I would love to see the front as well. She looks elegant and the back buttons are a surprise.

 

Blogger Cameron Adams said ... (2:48 PM) : 

Well spotted. Love the support lent by stripped shoe at right.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:04 PM) : 

You've really outdone yourself Mr. Schuman... This image is more than a commentary snapshot of fashion: It's a beautiful, composed and fantastically surreal portrait reminiscent of the playfulness of Magritte, Man Ray and Duchamp; Everyone's got their back to the camera, except the coat/dress!!!

I want this on my wall.

Thank you so much for sharing,
PLO

 

Blogger Cris Piera said ... (3:25 PM) : 

That's from Paul & Joe!!

I love it too. It suits her so much :-)

 

Blogger TEXTSTYLES said ... (3:28 PM) : 

it is extremely chic
yet reminds me of a straight jacket

i just can't help myself!

 

Blogger 0lga D said ... (3:30 PM) : 

oh,i love this!

 

Blogger Cris Piera said ... (3:30 PM) : 

That dress is from Paul & Joe!!

I absolutely adore it and it really suits her!

Nice pic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:03 PM) : 

Klever Girl she has a Gucci hysteria bag

 

Blogger Brigadeiro said ... (5:17 PM) : 

Flawless & gorgeous! LOVE it! Also love the shoes on the lady on the right! Beautiful shot!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:17 PM) : 

Super-chic! I love this.

 

Blogger Relaunched said ... (5:24 PM) : 

Salut Monsieur Schuman,

how could i stopped thinking of back buttoned dresses............. i am dreaming .............the good old times are back to 100 percent! Yeaaaaaaah!!!

Jérôme

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:36 PM) : 

i love this coat its so chic and unique and the colour facing backwards as well is just so cool! can't imagine putting it on though!

You should check out www.fashbashsoundclash.blogspot.com!

Nicky X

 

Blogger Hilda said ... (6:30 PM) : 

I have pictures of my mother during the 1970s in dresses like this. Simple and elegant with a very interesting detail — I like it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:25 PM) : 

stunning. both conservative and provocative at once.

i have a delicate backbuttoning top, and i love it.
but it's too cold for me to wear right now! i need backbuttons in a dress. any idea where i could find some nice ones? i realize hers is from paul & joe...

 

Blogger Dan in Richmond said ... (8:06 PM) : 

A beautiful shot and a beautiful dress. If it were impracticable to wear I assume she wouldn't be wearing it. Love anonymous 3:04's reference to Magritte, Man Ray and Duchamp, "everyone's got their back to the camera except the coat/dress!!!". Well done!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:27 PM) : 

Impeccable: the twist of hair, the beautifully back-buttoned dress, the stride, the perfectly toned calf, the dusty gray shoe, and the sumptuous bag.
Now THIS is style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:12 PM) : 

Bonjour,

You would definitely need help getting out this dress. I do like the colour and the buttons. Cute.

Merci, Zoé

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:15 PM) : 

Audrey Hepburn, is that you?

Oh, the elegance. And what a beautiful composition to boot(ie)!

 

Blogger feliciamesadieu said ... (11:35 PM) : 

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Blogger Solid Frog said ... (4:27 AM) : 

Gorgeous! I really like the buttons on the back and also the shoes. Very elegant.

 

Blogger Irini said ... (5:50 AM) : 

Love her look!So elegant!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:05 AM) : 

Love the colour.

 

Blogger Barbara said ... (8:11 AM) : 

I love when a garment buttons in the back.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:28 PM) : 

Wow great picture and I LOVE the back buttons :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:38 PM) : 

I love the coat dress, which feels very Tippi Hendron. Love the shoe choice and the bag. Love the well-formed gastrocnemius and the light tan. Whew. However... I don't love the hair. I feel like she should have had either an immaculate pony or twist, maybe a combo of the two... but something with *intention*... rather than this messy thing she's got going on behind her head.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:54 PM) : 

I absolutely love coats with buttons on the back!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:10 AM) : 

I'm sorry, all I can think off is Kriss Kross. :D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:32 PM) : 

I like button-down dress... Surreal!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:01 PM) : 

Beautiful.
I guess that buttons on the back were associated with upper social classes, since one needed the help of a maid to dress.

My real problem with these kind of dresses is to sit over buttons.

Laura

 

Blogger Lady Lala said ... (2:37 PM) : 

gorgeous!! i think this kind of dresses are really sensual and provocative even it seems to be modest.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:42 AM) : 

this reminds me of the book "The Giver" when before the kids reach a certain age they have coats that button up in the back so that the person who lines up behind them buttons it up for them, it's supposed to teach them teamwork and stuff. I wonder if this works similarily

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:05 AM) : 

very nice pic. it has movement, beautiful details and very nice fashion items.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:45 AM) : 

one of my favorites ever. from the dress/coat to the hair to the bag to the color and weight of the shoe. stunning. good find!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:14 AM) : 

Trun your cardigans around? I have done that!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:32 PM) : 

ohhhhhh i alwyas back button clothes, or i just turn a dress around. try, why not??

 

Blogger Kat said ... (1:31 PM) : 

I love buttons in the back.

 

Blogger Nagehan said ... (9:23 PM) : 

I want one! I love it!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting