This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Blue Eyes, Rio

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, November 14, 2008

On the Street....Blue Eyes, Rio

Comments on "On the Street....Blue Eyes, Rio"

 

Blogger Anthea said ... (10:50 AM) : 

What a beautiful shot. Have been inspired by you to take a few street photos at Vancouver Fashion Week and H & M Comme Des Garcons opening to add to my blog! Love her scarf and whites :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:52 AM) : 

sart I'm glad you post pics of people not only with great fashion sense like miroslava duma but also with great attitude like the current one, thre's nothing sartorial in her clothes but she's got a great deal of personality which make the picture so good, was it a cloudy day in rio when you did it?

 

Blogger Brigadeiro said ... (11:06 AM) : 

Great scarf with a paired down outfit, nice & natural...

 

Blogger starbahks said ... (11:23 AM) : 

stunning, sart.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:32 AM) : 

I love this look... effortless and so relaxed... particulary loving the red bra strap showing off her shoulder...

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (11:46 AM) : 

Reminds me of Scarlett Johansson (sp). Jorge from W Palm Beach

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:14 PM) : 

One of my universal favorites. I love the way you captured the ocean, and her freckles. You captured them like butterflies landing on the Macedonian Hills. Bravo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:21 PM) : 

Is that a smirk I see before me? Naw...
What's really sweet is the hint of red off the shoulder.
Nice shot, Mr. S.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:32 PM) : 

she kind of resembles the model Anja Rubik! gorgeous.

 

Blogger VanessasRunway said ... (12:44 PM) : 

I adore that colored scarf...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:57 PM) : 

Gorgeous pic. But then, she is gorgeous.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:36 PM) : 

cute, fresh, young . . . and then that nasty cig, ugh!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:12 PM) : 

Nice picture but the cigarette destroys it.

 

Blogger n said ... (2:24 PM) : 

love the scarf and the smile.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:36 PM) : 

Bonjour,

You can never go wrong with a scarf. Lovely face and attitude. Interesting smile. It feels... like Rio. I love the ocean in the background. Great lighting sometimes it hard to photograph the ocean on a sunny day. Only someone who knows the art of photography can get this subtle look. Perfect accept for the cigarette.

Merci, Zoé

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (2:40 PM) : 

Great look! Love the bra!
Beautiful photo!

 

Blogger Maggie May said ... (3:12 PM) : 

she looks like Scarlett Johansen

love her bracelets

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:12 PM) : 

I like the scarf...the bracelets need to go.

 

Blogger Wanderlusting said ... (3:21 PM) : 

Scarlet Johansson, is that you?

LOVE THIS - really, my kind of style in summer, white and breezy, double bracelets and a splash of colour.

Great example of a sweet look and great style at a "non-snobbish" level :)

 

Blogger luis_andres said ... (3:32 PM) : 

i loved the sacarf! really!
green and lila are good friends

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:34 PM) : 

love the scarf and the bracelets!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:45 PM) : 

Oh, look at her, she glows! Her outfit is so darling and her smile is so sweet. She´s so cute!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:23 PM) : 

beautiful pic
i noticed that you seem to love this particualar spot..the wall with the ocean in the background. ..is it because all the beautiful people go there or is it someplace that you pass by every day?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:18 PM) : 

this wall is looking familiar...so are the people. i'm hoping to see some rio looks that are more unique. this i see all the time.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:23 PM) : 

Great, now only if she would ditch the cigarette...Yuck!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:27 PM) : 

love the shots but i'm feeling so depressed by the beautiful weather and bare skin in these pics!

-cold in the Northeast

 

Blogger John-Bryan Hopkins said ... (5:27 PM) : 

who wouldn't want to be THAT girl?

wonderful

now

Is she from Rio? A tourist?

 

Blogger *** said ... (5:37 PM) : 

Her hair is soooo IT! Rio is so hot, there´s a refreshing way to get fresh! ;)

 

Blogger Rita said ... (6:06 PM) : 

She is very beautiful, and her face somewhat resembles Scarlet Johansson's.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:17 PM) : 

I gotta tell you; I used to be a huge fan, Scott. But I think your time in Brazil has to be where we (or at least high fashion photography and I) part company.

Brazil is an overwhelming black and mixed race country. Yet, the majority of the photos you've presented over the last couple of days would indicate otherwise.

I know, I know--I shouldn't bring up politics because it's a bit unfair on you. You do a decent job shooting black folks in NYC and geez all the US fashion blogs I read did not even acknowledge that a historic election was even taking place.

I totally understand.

But really, I must question your perspecitve (which I suppose includes your asethetics) because if I see another model-skinny, pale woman I think I might scream. Where is the 'other' Brazil? Where is the street fashion?

 

Blogger jessicadrhp said ... (7:43 PM) : 

very nice, relaxed. hair, scarf, top, makeup, all great! You're really good at this! lovely shot!

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (8:02 PM) : 

ok Anonymous 6:17pm

Where is the rest of Rio?
It is somewhere behind the 2 bodyguards I was given because Rio is so unsafe.

I love my job but I am not so obsessed that I am willing to risk my life or camera to take a few photos.

I was informed (not by a book but by many people that live in Rio) that it was not safe to walk around with my camera.
If you want to see the "other Rio" make the streets safe for me to walk around and experience it.

I was just in Moscow and i felt more safe than I did in Rio.

I would love to return and capture a deeper Brazil but in the meantime try cleaning up your streets for the outsiders - until you do only you will know the true beauty of your city.

 

Blogger junglesiren said ... (8:03 PM) : 

Sart, I love you and your shots but I gotta agree with Anon 6:17. It's exactly what I've been thinking but bit my tongue over.

With all the dark skinned folks from Brazil I know (gorgeous people) it's alarming that somehow you're missing them, with the exception of the kids and that etherial beauty in the blue maxi dress. Are you hanging out in the light side of town?

I know you try to keep it balanced and I understand the dearth of color in Sweden and Russia but dude, you're in RIO! Let's see some of those lovely brown-skinned folks please. At least keep close to the racial ratio.

 

Blogger Hek said ... (8:03 PM) : 

I wouldn't listen to anonymous people who only have negative things to say.

I always like your photos, simply because they are always good.

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (8:43 PM) : 

Hm, the Brazilians are really a mixture of...the whole wide world! I thought I would only see mixed people in my country, The Netherlands.

 

Blogger Dan in Richmond said ... (10:19 PM) : 

Okay, I'm going to do three at once- "Blue eyes" and "Color" are both beautiful shots and lovely outfits. "Cement Barbells" is a great shot with many possible interpretations, but mainly it's a wonderful formal composition. Now, is this stone wall resereved for beautiful women or do men occaisionally sit there too?

 

Blogger d~LLa said ... (10:44 PM) : 

the scarf is so pretty.. XD
great photo..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:12 AM) : 

I too was expecting to see cariocas through your lens. Pics of Hamish, Valentino and assorted models are somewhat interesting but Rio has so much more beauty to offer than what you have shown so far. There is so much more local colour to be seen. I go to Rio almost every year, feel safe and above all use my common sense. You live in NY and I am sure you are street smart.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:30 AM) : 

I thought it was only in South Africa that people cared about race quotas...Good luck Sart!

 

Blogger TMFA said ... (5:23 AM) : 

I am not quite sure if the scarf and dress are a good match, but sure she feels comfortable in it and smiling as always.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:51 AM) : 

There are black brazillians, that´true. But there are blond brazillians as well. There are arabs and jews. Asians and germans. Spaniards, italians and everything in between. Its is as easy to find the Obama type as it is to see girls with Anne Hathaway complexion. You get to see people as dark as Djimon Houson and "California Surfer Girl" as say, Cameron Diaz side by side. Not to mention people who look like a mix of everything. Those who look middle eastern. Those of german heritage. Spanish heritage. Japanese heritage (Brasil is the country with the biggest number of japanese outside Japan). Italian heritage (Brasil is also the country with the biggest number of people of italian descendent outside Italy, "only" 30 million).

So, Penelope Cruz could be brazillian. Jessica Alba could pass for a brazillian. So could Halle Berry, Katie Holmes, Jessica Biel, Jennifer Garner, Leighton Meester, Julia Roberts, Salma Hayek, Britney Spears, Denzel Washington, Will Smith, Blake Lively, Johnny Depp, and whoever you´d like to insert here.

So enough with stereotypes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:57 AM) : 

Its not fair to say Sart has only been taking pictures of models. The "just before the storm" girl, the boy and the girl in Ipanema Beach, the volleyball playing tatooed guy in the first shot and the tatooed guy with the printed shorts prove otherwise.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:59 AM) : 

And yes, Jack Daniel, brazillians are really a mixture of the whole wide world.

 

Blogger suz said ... (7:05 AM) : 

beautiful shot, i like the slight smile and colorful scarf...

 

Blogger Dominica said ... (8:18 AM) : 

it's Katie Holmes morphed into Scarlett Johansson...no seriously, ADORE her silk scarf !!

 

Blogger Leticia S. said ... (8:55 AM) : 

I actually agree with sart. I'm from Southern Brazil, but I live in Sao Paolo, and it's pretty obvious even to me that isn't safe walking around there(not only in Rio, but many cities in Brazil), specially if you're a foreigner.
I love my country very much, but we all have to face the fact that there's a lot beyond the beauty that surrounds us, like the violence issue. Sad, but true.
In Sao Paolo there are more places where you could meet great ethnic diversity without great risks, like the japanese neighborhood of Liberdade, jewish Higienopolis, or italian Bixiga. But I believe a place with great mixture is Paulista Avenue. You can just find pretty much anything over there. =) Hopefully you'll come here and show the world Brazil isn't all about beaches.

 

Blogger Leticia S. said ... (9:03 AM) : 

Oh, and by the way...in other countries there's a lot of people who already think there are only african descendents here (which I've already experienced myself), so what's wrong which proving them wrong?
Everytime some famous music artist comes to Brazil, all he does is go to the "favelas" and make videoclips with lots of mulatas and stuff, like Snoop Dogg, Michael Jackson and Black Eyed Peas. I think sart's exploring an interisting side of things, instead of doing the obvious, that everyone expects him to do, and lots of people already did.

 

Blogger Leticia S. said ... (9:03 AM) : 

Oh, and by the way...in other countries there's a lot of people who already think there are only african descendents here (which I've already experienced myself), so what's wrong which proving them wrong?
Everytime some famous music artist comes to Brazil, all he does is go to the "favelas" and make videoclips with lots of mulatas and stuff, like Snoop Dogg, Michael Jackson and Black Eyed Peas. I think sart's exploring an interisting side of things, instead of doing the obvious, that everyone expects him to do, and lots of people already did.

 

Blogger Trapiello said ... (10:14 AM) : 

I like a lot your blog,and i would like travel a lot
I went to Cairo and...is to dirty but it has something!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:14 AM) : 

It's anon 6:17pm again.

Thanks for the reply, Scott.

Firstly, I'm not Brazilian but an American expat living in Europe. I've been to Brazil several times for work and play. Yes, parts of Rio are unsafe, but it's a bit much for your handlers to suggest that Rio is 'dangerous'.

Believe me, I'm not attacking you. This (mis)perception you have of Rio probably says more about your (rich? white?) handlers than it says about you.

But perspective and position is important, Scott. Perhaps I felt more safe in Rio because I'm black. You felt safe in place that is notorious for its virulent racist street thuggery--Moscow.

Please take the criticism in the spirit that it was intended. I'm a fan of your work, just sometimes the way that you shoot and structure reality requires some of the context that you've given in your reply here. A bit more context of where/why/how/who you're shooting is often important.

 

Blogger Ms. Katee/e-polishblog said ... (10:33 AM) : 

I love her scarf and bracelets.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:42 AM) : 

What a beauty! I love the colors of her scarf! Thanks a lot!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:52 AM) : 

yeah you're not really capturing street style if you only take pictures in the place where rio claro summer is taking place. it´s a fashion event so obviously everyone there is going to be trying a bit harder with their outfits.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:59 AM) : 

very nice, sart.

the way you replied to the anom's comment only shows how little you understand of our situation.
excuse me, yes we'll make the streets safer for you tourists that come here to spend a couple of weeks to take nice pictures for your website.

because you know, this whole violence issue so far hasn't bothered us at ALL and we haven't tried to do anything to fix it. thank you for opening our eyes!
'try and clean up the streets for outsiders' but screw anyone that has to live there 365 days a year, right?

so now that you brought it up and we love tourists in our country so much, we'll tidy it up just for YOU!!

consider yourself lucky that you had 'two bodyguards' following you around all the time.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (1:57 PM) : 

thanks for your reply Aono 6:17

i was a little frustrated that I wasn't able to run around the streets of Rio more freely. As you can see on the blog, I did shoot much more variety (kids, buildings, dogs, etc) in Rio than I do in most other places. So much of life there seems to be lived outside. I think Rio is charming

If my reply sounded angry, it was from frustration. I am happy with what I found but i know there is more there and I ran out of time.

Regarding the safety issue. It was not rich, white handlers that guided me but mostly local journalists and other people that live in Rio. I was told not to walk alone with my camera or watch or jewelry multiple times. everyone seemed so resigned to the problem that it was a little heartbreaking.

i look forward to returning to Rio but next time i will be better prepared.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (1:57 PM) : 

thanks for your reply Aono 6:17

i was a little frustrated that I wasn't able to run around the streets of Rio more freely. As you can see on the blog, I did shoot much more variety (kids, buildings, dogs, etc) in Rio than I do in most other places. So much of life there seems to be lived outside. I think Rio is charming

If my reply sounded angry, it was from frustration. I am happy with what I found but i know there is more there and I ran out of time.

Regarding the safety issue. It was not rich, white handlers that guided me but mostly local journalists and other people that live in Rio. I was told not to walk alone with my camera or watch or jewelry multiple times. everyone seemed so resigned to the problem that it was a little heartbreaking.

i look forward to returning to Rio but next time i will be better prepared.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:08 PM) : 

Lovely pose, and the colors in the scarf are great.
BTW-Just saw an article profiling you in the Indiana University Alumni magazine.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:15 PM) : 

I love her look, but why is everybody whining about the cigarette. I think the cigarette adds a sense of nonchalancen that makes her look more independent and interesting. Please stop with the moralizing. She obviously doesn't care, and this makes her so much more attractive.

Keep up the good stuff.

Jay, from the Netherlands

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:33 PM) : 

i love that girl...

 

Blogger soph naylor said ... (4:11 PM) : 

she is like a cross between heather marks and scarlett johansson! very pretty

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:38 PM) : 

People who have negative things to say about these pictures: why don't you go to Brazil and take pictures and post them on your blog? Sart can take whatever kind of pictures he wants, it is his blog for crying out loud! So even if he posted pictures of 16 year old white female models he would have every right to do that. If you mind there not being enough racial diversity here, keep in mind- you don't HAVE TO visit his website. It's not like his duty to post pictures you guys like!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:36 PM) : 

I'm quite disappointed with these photos. They could have been taken on the French Riviera as far as I can tell. None of these pictures say 'Brazil.'

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:43 PM) : 

But if you were given TWO bodyguards to walk around, then it would be perfectly safe to do it. I know Rio isn't Norway, but it's not exactly a war zone either. Maybe people just wanted to see more than just models sporting plain clothes. They didn't even need to be from any specific racial background; just regular people. But then again, cariocas tend to dress down anyway, so maybe it wouldn't be easy to spot something special. That said, I loved most of the pictures, especially the non fashion related ones. So carefree, true and magical. Great work as usual.

 

Blogger megwood said ... (12:48 AM) : 

i can't believe that all these beautiful people smoke!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:08 AM) : 

Dear Sartorialist

I live in Rio , and it is realy a bit dangerous to walk around with a camera like yours , but like anywhere in the world it´s is not so dangerous everywhere, but just in some places.Of course anythink can happen at anytime, but you had 2 bodyguards, so you could have gone to lots of places with no problem, especialy in the day time.
It's dangerous here, but we are not in war.Here is as dangerous as Miami.
I am sure that you will not go with your cam in downtown Miami at night.

So next time , 3 bodyguards and no watch and you will love it.

Love your work!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:54 AM) : 

this is my first time make a coment here. i just loved the photos! i´m brazilian, from a state where stones are explored, i mean precious stones, and i suggest you to go to minas gerais, my state to see how the "mineiras" dress to. Brazil is a country with a strong and beautiful regionalism. by the way, i love this blogspot, it´s like a guide to enjoy more the freedom in our expressions, specially when we talk about fashion. mariana (orkut Mariana Simões from Brazil)

 

Blogger Tânia N. said ... (6:20 AM) : 

WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kisses from Brasil!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:44 PM) : 

Hi, Sart, Love your blog. And although I'm always here, that's the first time I comment. I'm a brazillian, like some other people who left notes here. But I think people didn't explained enough. Brazillian people are very very proud of their (our) country and culture. But we also are very caring for our visitors. I can almost see people and body-gards telling you "don't do this, don't do that". But I have to tell you and your readers that probably they did it a little too much. For caring so much about your safety and the safety of your camera, people made a little bit of a "terrorism". Things here are not so dangerous, but I think that they felt better making things to sound a little worse than they really are, just to garantee that nothing really happens. Can your imagine how bad it would be to the image of our country if, unfortunatelly, something happened to you? So, what I can tell you is: next time in Rio, feel free do walk around and take your pictures... just take a little care. Because, here it's not Sweeden. But we're great, and not so dangerous. But I can understand people who warned you. That was just an excess of care. I almost feel angry about how people here made you feel so insecure, but I understand. We care about our guests... We just don't know how to do it in the right proportion. Did I make my point?
Kisses, Ana.

 

Blogger Kay said ... (3:29 PM) : 

It just all sort of lies quietly side by side doesn't it? No obvious matching going on, but there is just harmony.
Maybe it's the sea and the blue eyes, but it's definitely something.

 

Blogger Bedlam said ... (3:35 PM) : 

The photo would be nice if that cigarette wasn't there. Then again you knew it was there when the picture was taken.

 

Blogger Barbara said ... (5:34 PM) : 

I love the splash of color in the scarf.

 

Blogger Jenn said ... (6:54 PM) : 

nice, refreshing, plain, and very pretty.

 

Blogger nicole said ... (9:41 PM) : 

OMGSH i've been in love with all your pictures from Rio!

this is anja rubik, right?
i really like her scarf!

 

Blogger Justin Tyler said ... (11:00 PM) : 

I love the color-blocking she has going on. The colored scarf around her face makes her look refreshed and awake. I see a bit of Scarlett Johansson in her.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:18 AM) : 

Effortless style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:24 AM) : 

So gorgeous

 

Blogger parisienish said ... (12:28 PM) : 

all of the little details make the outfit: the eyes, the scarf, the lip color, the bra strap, the bracelets, the cigarette.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:33 PM) : 

way too pretty of a girl to be smoking...

 

Blogger Yiu said ... (12:28 PM) : 

love this picture so much !
it's so beautiful !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:56 AM) : 

She looks a bit like Scarlett Johansen!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:37 PM) : 

Per-fect. First because it's from my country, and the shot is perfect, the colors are beautiful, it looks like a painting...

 

Blogger candi said ... (2:50 PM) : 

Rio is fashion and sexy...

 

Blogger Tim McFarlane said ... (7:27 PM) : 

Very nice shot and outfit. There's a nice sense of personal comfort about her.

Its interesting how the cigarette has gotten so much attention. I'm not a fan of smoking, but the cigarette doesn't detract from her clothing, which is the focus of this blog.

 

Blogger Ronaldo Coelho said ... (5:06 PM) : 

BRAZIL, MY COUNTRY ♥

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting