This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Scarf Homme, Milan & Paris

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, November 21, 2008

On the Street....Scarf Homme, Milan & Paris


Comments on "On the Street....Scarf Homme, Milan & Paris"

 

Blogger Brigadeiro said ... (8:12 AM) : 

These guys need to teach me how to tie a scarf so beautifully.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:15 AM) : 

I adore that new take on the Andy Wharol's look...

 

Blogger Barbara said ... (8:22 AM) : 

awesome hair, and I've always liked septum piercings.

 

Blogger fashionfatwa said ... (8:31 AM) : 

the man on top is quite beautiful

and the man on the bottom as a totally halal man bag, and is that patent I see? I've never seen it pulled off so well on a guy.

 

Blogger The Clever Pup said ... (8:42 AM) : 

oh dear...

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:43 AM) : 

I like it. I really wish there were more photos of people like this on the blog. They're interesting and forward.

 

Blogger The Concrete Commentator said ... (8:48 AM) : 

Wow.. These are great! I love this bag, and the way the light is catching it. The light source from this window is amazing, and the dark shadows on the right and bottom of the photos. He has great glasses too. Ok, the top one.. Fabulous. The scarf looks good on him.. When I first saw this photo I thought it was a young Andy Warhol. Great Shots Sart!!!!!

 

Blogger marchingbandemporium said ... (8:49 AM) : 

Very nice.

Funnily enough, I was looking at women's scarfs in a London department store last week and wondering whether they might add an interesting sense of colour and texture to my outfits. (I am a man, by the way.)

Now I know they do! I should have taken the plunge then and trusted my instincts.

 

Blogger plate snapper said ... (8:49 AM) : 

andy warhol reloaded!

 

Blogger Petulia said ... (9:02 AM) : 

Nicely done. Any good scaf femme? I am always looking for new ways to tie mine

 

Blogger by Nelli said ... (9:05 AM) : 

The first man is so in Andy Warhol style...interesting.

 

Blogger wilsonreps said ... (9:18 AM) : 

how many cliches can you put in one look. gauges in his ear, hardware in his nose, a warholesque wig, and the hermes scarf. am i the only one who is lost here?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:19 AM) : 

I love an Hermes scarf just as much as the next girl but I'm not too sure if I can co-sign on these looks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:26 AM) : 

Absolutely stunning. I love the pose in the second picture!
Thank you Sart

 

Blogger cami falcão said ... (9:29 AM) : 

the first one is a contemporary version of Andy Warhol, very elegant boys.

 

Blogger Lainey Seyler said ... (9:30 AM) : 

fantastico.

i can't decide which of these two i like better.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:37 AM) : 

The first photo is reminiscent of Andy Warhol!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:48 AM) : 

The first picture, who is he?
Andy, a man or woman?
The both are lost there masculinity, this isn't fashion

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:49 AM) : 

ew those are not cute, scott what were you thinking?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:51 AM) : 

Isn't the top one Gary Card? Stylist/Set person? and i think one of very few that could pull off such a scarf with what looks like a blue rinse..
Both great shots, nice colours!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:51 AM) : 

I am reminded of Andy Warhol...

 

Blogger mette said ... (9:54 AM) : 

I don´t like the scarves on men worn like that,looks too feminine to me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:01 AM) : 

Warhol's cousin?

 

Blogger Stephanie Clayton said ... (10:02 AM) : 

Andy Warhol...his style became timeless. In both photos, the scarves are so very chic on these men.

 

Blogger Tomás said ... (10:06 AM) : 

I am a big fan of scarves, for both sexes, and I love the prints as well as the solids, but what strikes me most about this is the septum of man 1. I live in Madrid and here the circa-mouth studs are ubiquitous, and I know that septum piercings are getting to be almost as big, both here and in certain cities in the states, but I have maintained that they are seriously ugly. Then I saw your photo. The way the balls at the end show themselves just under the nostrils and reflect the light in a way similar to his platinum hair, is a great image. I have to rethink my judgment and say, for now, that it depends on the nose. Some are too small and get overpowered by the ring. He pulls it off with flying colors. Also, great scarf.

 

Blogger TEXTSTYLES said ... (10:06 AM) : 

more men should do this
or variation of

 

Blogger Mavis Ang said ... (10:10 AM) : 

the first dude reminds me of Warhol.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:11 AM) : 

andy warhol??? is that you?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:14 AM) : 

As I brought home yet another expensive but beautiful scarf I wondered if my husband could ever wear one. So today looking at these pictures I thought, "Maybe yes, " until I saw all the other feminine touches, the jewelry,the bag, etc. Then I thought, "No." I'm sorry, but I think these two ruined the attempt and just look like cross-dressers. Maybe some other man will do it with more skill and subtlety. It's an idea worth working on.

 

Blogger norawoah said ... (10:17 AM) : 

Who loves grey hair more than me? No one. He looks fantastic.

 

Blogger Dan in Richmond said ... (10:17 AM) : 

I'm big into scarves this year and there have been lots of great ones here. I like the lower look best (meaning, I guess, that I'd wear it) but the top portrait is a great shot. Of course people are going to say young (and I'd add contemporary) Andy Warhol, but he must expect that himself.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:25 AM) : 

Proof that gender is a role we play.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:26 AM) : 

Top boy channels Andy Warhol. Impressively done.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:53 AM) : 

Pulling out my Hermes scarf tonight..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:53 AM) : 

beautiful sunglasses ! it look likes very good !

 

Blogger THE VEGAS STYLE GUY said ... (11:05 AM) : 

My first thought was, "Man up!" Then I remembered I'm a big Homo. Who am I to judge!

So, I actually looked and these guys are givin' it to you!

Rock it boyz!

Warhol Lives in the first shot and the second guy is 21st century Truman Capote with his pose and look o minor annoyance at having to breathe.

LOVE THEM BOTH!

 

Blogger Isao said ... (11:05 AM) : 

Just shoot me...

 

Blogger Steve & Kristen said ... (11:17 AM) : 

ANDY WARHOL! YUM!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:21 AM) : 

and i thought i liked Andy!!!
Great!

 

Blogger frederick kambo said ... (11:41 AM) : 

I sell scarves for men and women but have to say they are a tougher sell to the men. There's something about colour and texture that intimidates I suppose. Still, these shots are an inspiration. Thanks Sart!

http://aiyda.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:43 AM) : 

luke wilson (as in The Royal Tenenbaums), anyone?

 

Blogger Dominica said ... (11:51 AM) : 

Andy Warhol meets the Prodigy ....
I like the guy in the second picture...he gets away with this - I love people that dare to wear whatever THEY like...love him !

 

Blogger Stephanie Dee said ... (12:03 PM) : 

I saw Warhol's wig at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, it was nice and white and clean. I wonder if this young man is wearing a wig.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:05 PM) : 

The first pic reminds me of singer Robyn. And the second? I'm too distracted by the "diva" pose. Haha.

 

Blogger EDQM said ... (12:07 PM) : 

Andy Warhol! ;p

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:08 PM) : 

When everyone says you look like someone famous (Andy Warhol), you're trying to hard and have totally lost your own essence!
These two don't define "men" for me!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:21 PM) : 

cool

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:44 PM) : 

Bonjour,

The Savoir-Faire of the scarf never goes out of style. In France the art of the scarf is taught from Grandmother to Mother to Daughter. And it is obvious from these photographs that men of know how to wear the scraf too.

Merci, Zoé

 

Blogger Allen - East Hampton said ... (12:47 PM) : 

LOVE the Warhol homage!!!

 

Blogger KSE said ... (12:49 PM) : 

I love both. Funny how people praise women in terrible clothes but hate on two beautiful men in flawless [albeit traditionally-feminine]outfits. Dan in Richmond-I'll be looking for a man in a scarf when I'm there next week.

 

Blogger Richie Designs said ... (12:53 PM) : 

Andy is that you?

you look great for being dead for so long

 

Blogger Rebecca said ... (1:17 PM) : 

Nice scarves/murse.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:31 PM) : 

This is the kind of thing that proves i'm not nearly as 'liberal' as i might like to be.

Perhaps gender is a matter of 'roles.' But, at adulthood, the roles are ingrained and natural. These seem like contrivances. Males who worship women, or, at least, their options. Somehow, that leads to them trying to BE women. My 'worship' of women leads me to want to be WITH them. My way doesn't lead me into any personal artifice.

I don't think one can practically adopt a new role at will without becoming a caricature. Yes, these people have an exceptionally strong sense of 'style.' If that's the objective, it's a fine representation. But, i may be too conservative in this simple way to allow that to be 'it.' Style is superficial, and i hate seeing this much superficiality tied up in an 'identity.'

 

Blogger Kay said ... (1:33 PM) : 

I cannot stand septum piercings so out of sheer prejudice I'm not going to say much on the first picture, other than that he wears that scarf with a surprising amount of masculinity.
The second image is without a doubt much less masculine, but far more beautiful. The scarf itself it really nicely arranged, good colours as well, it seems very complete. Patent bag is slight overkill for me, It doesn't seem to fit with the unexpectedly relaxed look of the rest of the outfit.

I guess it shows clothing doesn't necessarily portray gender.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:42 PM) : 

what in the warhol is that?

nice shots. i like the darkness of the bottom one.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:29 PM) : 

um, please...how silly they both look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:38 PM) : 

Does anyone else want to call out that the first guy looks like Andy Warhol? Not sure I got the allusion from the first 370 mentions of this.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:16 PM) : 

which is which (Milan vs. Paris).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:39 PM) : 

Love the scarves, the top guy's hair (and lips -- wow!), & the sense of independence each conveys. Beautiful colors in both scarves, too. Stephanie

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:41 PM) : 

oh oh. a little bit of punk a little bit of class. my favorite.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:53 PM) : 

there is anything special in the scarf ?
I think Author has posted his own pic while on vacation.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:15 PM) : 

What is it w/ men carrying womens handbags ?

Looks affected and absurd.

RJT

 

Blogger sophia said ... (4:17 PM) : 

I love color removed hair the first boy is stunning but I hate the piercing they never look good on anyone other wise the look would be flawless.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:26 PM) : 

You just want to tell people when Andy Warhol was this young he didn't look like this...

 

Blogger 0lga D said ... (5:48 PM) : 

Andy forever! wonderful shot

 

Blogger John Danner said ... (5:55 PM) : 

IT'S THE REINCARNATION OF WARHOL!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:58 PM) : 

Number two is channeling Betty Davis . . . "What a dump"
(Love the scarf)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:46 PM) : 

ive been thinking of grey hair for some time now! (im a female with very loong hair)
after seeing it in japan, i think this may become a trend...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:56 PM) : 

We get it. The next person to write 'Andy Warhol' should be slapped. We got it the first time.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:24 PM) : 

Oh, that first photo is a killer! Love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:29 PM) : 

forget the scarves.... THAT HAIR! I want it so bad.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:11 PM) : 

First guy has a strong image and it works! Details are perfect and I think is a young way to be elegant and mix icons and streetwear (not only to seem PopArtChief)
Maybe is cause I'm only 23 or cause I'm european, but I think that is important to analyze the style, not if he has piercings or if he seems flawless..I need to say it, (sorry). also with big earring he seems very elegant, a simply way to use color contrasts and a feminine accessory like a silk scarf.
A new-wave-darker mood.Interesting.
The second one..it works in a different way, not so fashionable, a little too 'made in Italy' for me. Is only a scarf, is important how you wear it. Thanks, Mariji

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:06 PM) : 

The first photo looks to be one of Ash Stymest (Vogue Homme Japan cover model)with a platinum blonde hairdo. Am I right on this one?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:50 PM) : 

I'm not sure why young attractive men want to look like upper eastside matrons; big bags, Herme's scarf, big glasses.

I guess old lady is the new man.

 

Blogger Scott W said ... (11:26 PM) : 

Snap!
Snap!!
Snap!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:40 AM) : 

identity crisis

 

Blogger junglesiren said ... (12:43 AM) : 

I'm with CK. Liberal overall but not a big fan of men in women's clothing, although if they want to wear it I support their right to do so, I just don't find it attractive.

I do understand that these, um, guys, dwell in a world where this is considered chic or fierce or whatever. Great. I'm glad that world exists.... in my world, however, they look foolish..... like that numbskull on Project Runway with the big glasses and the bouffant blonde hair who looks like a slimmer version of Bee Arthur. If that's how a dude wants to look, I say rock on.... but I'm laughing AT as opposed to WITH.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:52 AM) : 

Sorry, but there is absolutely nothing masculine about the upper guy. I can only hope he is wearing a whig. These particular scarfs really add to the feeling that one has just entered the cross dressing zone.

 

Blogger Barbara said ... (4:54 AM) : 

I think Clever Puppy has summed this lot up perfectly.

 

Blogger cat minoki said ... (5:57 AM) : 

Haha funny how the first pic reminds me of one of my daughters friends!
Tunnel, medusa and septum piercing put in a new context, I really like it.
So now I know there´s a future for these pierced kids to look god with a grown up style and keep their rivets in their faces ;)

 

Blogger Nicholas said ... (6:16 AM) : 

it must be hell to get all theese comments. still im commenting - i simply love the first 1!

 

Blogger StyleFitz said ... (6:23 AM) : 

i love this look, I bought a similar style scarf from the ZARA mens range last weekend, only cost £8. These pictures give me more confidence to wear it.

 

Blogger John-Bryan Hopkins said ... (7:49 AM) : 

The Andy Warhol hair is awsome.

I don't like the nose pierce. Too bull looking for me and takes away from beauty, probably the point.

Scarves on guys wonderful!

 

Blogger Smart Feller said ... (9:15 AM) : 

i want to know where he got that watch. what kind it is. something about it i love.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:26 AM) : 

It is a little bit strange a man with women handbag...

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:28 AM) : 

the first guy has a smart take on scarfs (not to mention warhol) but the 2nd guy looks dum. he´s trying so hard to look like an "upper class" old lady...

 

Blogger Poulenc said ... (11:20 AM) : 

No, no, no.

No.

Scarves and their use way too femmy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:59 AM) : 

i'm sorry but these are terrible. the problem with the andy warhol look is that you have to be andy warhol for it not to look foolish.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:32 PM) : 

love the first peekture! i used to think that piercings don't quite go with classic scarfs but he just proved me wrong. and i wonder if he is wearing a wig.

mybirthdaypony: i think it's a digital casio watch as i have a similar one.

 

Blogger TINA said ... (2:23 PM) : 

I really like the Andy Warhol hair in the first one.
And I love scarves on men; they make them look so classy and refined.

Love your blog.

♥Tina

 

Blogger Hek said ... (7:19 PM) : 

Mr. Andy Warhol has such a great attitude.

 

Blogger Jill Turner said ... (11:37 PM) : 

i think they are both trying too hard. especially the one on the bottom...

 

Blogger Starck Mad said ... (12:48 AM) : 

The Warhol-meets-Nan Kempner in the first photo is a bit awkward, but stylish nonetheless.

 

Blogger ryan said ... (1:17 AM) : 

amazing! i love the 2nd photo. yes - he is letting those accessories have it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:19 AM) : 

'I hate excuses!' and here is no reason for! Stunning! Welcome back on earth - Andy!

 

Blogger Max said ... (2:03 PM) : 

NYCRepublican nails it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:18 PM) : 

The first photo reminds me of a Oscar Wilde's character Dorian Grey...portrayed modernly that is.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:37 PM) : 

Am the only one more than a little put off by the chauvinism of some of the commenters? Isn't part of the point of this blog that style isn't so much about the kinds of garments we wear, though they too play a role, but rather about how we can play with sartorial signals to construct unique and stunning personalities? These gentlemen are probably very aware that they're bending gender norms and looking great while doing it, and that's what makes it good style.

It's less about what you should wear and more about how you wear it. But instead I'm seeing folks discount this out of hand because they don't look masculine enough?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:48 AM) : 

So what if he looks like Warhol? When has a reference been as good as being original? Warhol was original and compared to these two clowns, muy macho...

I rejoin the crowd that says "No no no"!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:05 PM) : 

That top guy is merely costuming Andy. Give me a break.

 

Blogger B. FLY AND THE CITY said ... (3:50 PM) : 

WARHOL IS ALIVE!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:54 PM) : 

I’m with Brian. While some commenters seem aware of the political nature of gender roles, there’s way too much inadvertent sexism in some of the comments to let slide. Male and female fashion is so polarized, it’s nice to see daring individuals blur the lines every now and then. Especially when they do so with as much class as these two have.

 

Blogger donut said ... (1:21 AM) : 

Today's modern vampires will wear scarves so that they may use them to cover up the bite marks on their victim's neck.

Prey is first smitten with the vampire's style and then bitten when thoroughly mesmerized. The vampire then "thanks" the victim by adorning them with their scarf and giving them another opportunity to stop by Hermes to pick out another.

Lesson: Only flirt with men with scarves from Hermes.

 

Blogger crewkurt said ... (2:24 AM) : 

It amazes me how any man who dares step out of the strict limitations of traditional male dress gets slaughtered on here. I applaud these men for shattering conceptions of how men are "allowed" to dress. Sure, it may raise an eyebrow but judging by the confidence coming thru in the photos, they dress way for themselves and nobody else. And aren't we past the whole "murse" drama? They are practical, green and a hell of a lot more chic than another messenger bag. I rock my many proudly! Congrats to both men, flawless and ballsy.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:12 PM) : 

h my gosh!
this guy is almoust the perfection!
love the bag and scarf conbination

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:07 AM) : 

Wow, the comments on this one are all over the place. I say, gender?...meh. Who cares what side of that line you fall?! These guys are FIERCE and, best of all, they clearly don't care what any of us think.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:43 AM) : 

the guy in the below pic looks fab though im a little jealous of the bag he is clutching.. i reckon the leather bag takes the whole look up a notch

 

Blogger Luuworld said ... (6:04 PM) : 

Yeah but no but yeah. But no, but yeah!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:13 AM) : 

Not only does it need to be noted that there is a severe bias from some posters on this board, but some factual errors should also be pointed out.

First of all, these two men are NOT cross dressing, nor is there any intention of trying to look "womanly". Both look quite fully male, and very attractive members of their sex. Meaning, yes, can you believe it?.....ALL men do not look alike or dress the same!!..WOW! Next point, the bag might very well be a men's bag, as such a thing exists and are quite common in larger urban areas. Bags do not necessarily equate to women's wear.....been to Barney's much?

So, yeah, stop with the ignorance.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:25 PM) : 

The gentleman in the bottom photo straddles the line between 'androgyny' and 'dandy' quite well! Kudos to him, and he's extra handsome to boot!!!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting