This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Gloves in the Chest Pocket Have Jumped the Pond, NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, December 19, 2008

On the Street....Gloves in the Chest Pocket Have Jumped the Pond, NYC



Comments on "On the Street....Gloves in the Chest Pocket Have Jumped the Pond, NYC"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:08 AM) : 

Well, both gentlemen look amazing...but the second one (can he be American? seems so implausible based on his style) I want to marry. Sorry, husband!

 

Blogger Niles K said ... (10:11 AM) : 

Looks like a Filson bag. Excellent!

 

Blogger mockumentary said ... (10:24 AM) : 

Hadn't known that this was a euro thing!
I love the second outfit. Rich colors made even better with the loved-in bag and shoes.

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (10:25 AM) : 

It is a nice touch, and you can be sure you are not going to drop a glove when you are reaching in for coffee change, your keys or your entry card, right? I love the Filson briefcase, I am going to get one of their bags as my next gym duffle!!! Jorge from W Palm Beach

 

Blogger Dan in Richmond said ... (10:28 AM) : 

I like it and I haven't seen it done around here- I could be the first! Nice colors in both, and the lower look I could almost lift in toto for myself.I like the polished casualness of it.Great looking pieces individually and well chosen together.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:30 AM) : 

Both of those shots are amazing. i absolutely love the shoes on the second picture.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:35 AM) : 

first!

 

Blogger Emme A said ... (10:35 AM) : 

Agreed : second guy looks very Italian to my French eyes...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:37 AM) : 

I've been doing this since before it was "cool", and i'm only 28.

 

Blogger . . . said ... (10:47 AM) : 

The second man's details are flawless. I love how his spectacles are placed in his shirt in the front.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:51 AM) : 

Why is it the simple ideas often prove the most impressive? Now I have an excuse to go out and buy a new pair of gloves!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:55 AM) : 

Nice sartorial flourish, shows wit and charm. I like the picture of the gentleman in the camel coat,what a lovely smile - i'm guessing he doesn't work in finance.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:11 AM) : 

ahahah these gloves want to runaway from the pocket!!
the second man looks like marc jacobs!!
cheers

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (11:17 AM) : 

The second guy has to be European, right?

 

Blogger chief shannopin said ... (11:24 AM) : 

definitely a case of form over function here. gloves are for hands, not pockets. surely a nice idea if it warms up, though.

 

Blogger thwany said ... (11:28 AM) : 

this is one of those things that are so simple and smart that it makes everyone ask, why didn't i think of that before?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:29 AM) : 

He is American - that's Gabriel - who sells Thom Browne' Black Fleece line at Brooks Brothers.

 

Blogger Red Flashlight said ... (11:34 AM) : 

This is what I like about the Sartorialist. Fashion can be just practical! Putting gloves in your breast pocket undermines the silly, outdated pretension of a handkerchief.

 

Blogger *atelier said ... (11:50 AM) : 

lino ieluzzi at it again. damn i want his wardrobe.

 

Blogger Rita said ... (11:53 AM) : 

The second guy looks great. I really like the colors he is wearing. And the gloves in the chest pocket add a very nice touch to the overall look of both gentlemen.

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (11:56 AM) : 

Super photos, Sart. Well done. It's all about the details.

 

Blogger norawoah said ... (12:04 PM) : 

the second man knows his colors, textures and how to layer perfectly.

 

Blogger Chris Johnson said ... (1:51 PM) : 

I love everything about these photographs. Everything.

I particularly love the color story of the second guy - and the serenely confident way he's standing before your camera. He's an intriguing subject.

I'm also curious about how he would look in those glasses...

 

Blogger Dominica said ... (1:58 PM) : 

The first gentleman looks classic but is very edgy if you look closely ! The gloves used as a "pochette" in his upper pocket are fab and I've noticed a great scarf under his jacket ; it looks like a 'changeant' kind of fabric changing from lila into a fuchsia-purple...10+

The second guy has thé cutest face and has a smart and effortless chique look.
Nothing too special but I really like the shades of colour he has used..
If he's European like 'Iheartfashion' suggests, I sincerely hope he lives in Antwerp :-D

 

Blogger Paige Paigen said ... (2:05 PM) : 

Please, spare us from the Filson bags, unless you're on a hunting trip. Filson bags in the city are just an early 21st century version of a yuppie "outdoorsy" pretention.

Though, I will admit, I'd love to invest a bunch of money in Filson just so I could get them to start making some of their clothing in black, with full linings.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:05 PM) : 

I just love both of these! Maybe my obsessive compulsiveness is showing, but I have a strong need to see every stitch they're wearing laid out. Don't you hate when there's just a hint of interesting fabric peeking out and you can't figure out if it's a sweater or a scarf or a what?

I love the personal touches that the first man is wearing. The outfit is not only interesting, but it also looks both warm and lightweight, which isn't always easy to put together.

The second man has just a nice look overall. PERHAPS a little too thought-out, but effort never goes unnoticed. I'd personally feel stifled in so many layers, but I do love the length of his pants and those shoes. And the gloves look so toasty and warm!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:12 PM) : 

Paul Stuart has been featuring this gesture in its windows for at least twenty years.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:18 PM) : 

There is actually an American flag behind the second guy. Definitely not European.

 

Blogger nik arnold said ... (2:25 PM) : 

The first gentleman is putting a nice touch to a jacket he wore in December 2007 (check out the Sartorialist archive and there he is in same jacket) This is how you keep things fresh.
The second gentleman: bravo! From the gloves, scarf, eyeglasses and handbag, he really can accessorize while maintaining a masculine look. Very good.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:03 PM) : 

really cute!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:15 PM) : 

second guy is a handsome devil. clothes or no clothes.:)

 

Blogger david santos said ... (3:19 PM) : 

Excellent Style!!!
Congratulations!!!!

 

Blogger J.A.F. said ... (3:30 PM) : 

I think I'm in love.

 

Blogger majmily's said ... (3:39 PM) : 

I completely fell in love with the 2nd gentleman. This face, those (hidden) accesories!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:56 PM) : 

The second one looks like Jude Law.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:11 PM) : 

The second guy is great. The colour scheme seems perfect to my eyes as well as the length of the trousers, and the cardigan is adorable.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:11 PM) : 

Two regular guys.

Nice pictures.

 

Blogger Joêlle said ... (5:30 PM) : 

me like #2.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:33 PM) : 

BFF! Ben a while, hasn't it. Impeccable styling as always: that purple scarf peaking underneath the coat is sublime. Second dude is lovely too-got it right on the pants length and the shoes. A little too studied perhaps, but hey, it works.

Energie

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:35 PM) : 

Urban mob.

 

Blogger Mo said ... (5:40 PM) : 

Fine and dandy...I am in love with the guy in the second picture =)

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (5:50 PM) : 

The coat in the first picture is just great!
But the bag of the second picture is what I want!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:20 PM) : 

BFM!!! I know we're not supposed to call him that, but he's one of my top 3 faves, ever, among Sartorialist subjects. Lavender scarf, classic camel coat -- he looks super, as always. The guy in pic 2 looks good too, but sorry, my heart belongs to BFM!

 

Blogger Camille said ... (6:46 PM) : 

The man in the second photo looks so confident in his style. Love the maroon cardigan--he looks so handsome.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:05 PM) : 

hey these guys are well dressed grown ups! how'd they get in here?

 

Blogger Dennice {Fringe} said ... (7:27 PM) : 

Both men look very stylish, elegant and confident. I wish I knew them both, they both have kind eyes.

I appreciate the fact that you chose two men with different styles, but equally fashionable.

I adore a man or a woman who can accessorize with flair.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:33 PM) : 

The warmth of the honey colored herringbone caught in the sun is sooooo lovely. And the stitch detail of the breast pocket with the glove fingers of the same-but-not-the-same color sticking out? Pinch me! It would all be intoxicating without that purple tie - but he DID wear the purple tie, and I love him for it.
And I love him for carrying the newspaper under his arm, too.

I second the earlier comment about the oxymoronic nature of urban Filson. I suppose a certain segment of the market, if they could, would pay an extra charge for the dog hair, feathers and blood that are on my husband's Filson jacket, along with the shotgun shells, chew can, dog cookies and old PB&J that are usually in the pockets. Maybe I should offer to break-in these garments for people who don't have ready access to the "elements of authenticity" mentioned above. For a nominal fee I'd be happy to toss a person's Filson jacket - or bag in the back of the truck for a month during pheasant season. The PB&J would definitely be an additional charge...

 

Blogger SparkleQueen said ... (8:20 PM) : 

1st: very nice use of complimentary colors and I love how you captured the movement of him walking with the flap of his coat like that. awesome!

2nd: An overall nice color palette! Also your composition is impeccable, even though he is standing right in the middle of your photo, it doesn't look boringly symmetrical.

I put your blog under 'Daily Needs' rather than 'daily reads' because honestly, it's so nice to wake up and check your blog for some inspiration and beautiful photography. I am a regular visitor on your blog and I hope to comment on every single post!!

-EMILY

 

Blogger jkh said ... (8:31 PM) : 

second guy does not look american

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:39 PM) : 

the second picture kind of looks like a cross between albert hammond jr. and my piano instructor.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:52 PM) : 

He is American. He works as a salesman for Brooks Brothers! See him there!

 

Blogger Michael Joseph Owens said ... (9:59 PM) : 

Wow. The young bearded dude looks like a perfectly wrapped holiday package. Every detail—glasses, scarf, tie, gloves, bad, beard—is beautifully (and calculatedly?) rendered. The contrasts of color and texture are really dynamic. Two thumbs up for this handsome man. Just the antidote the eye needs on a chill day.

 

Blogger Amber said ... (10:05 PM) : 

Yeah, that second picture is so classy. Great find.

x.

 

Blogger Remah said ... (11:05 PM) : 

Whoa! The man in the second picture really has such an amazing look going. I love how perfectly he layered his clothes, very chic!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:12 PM) : 

I like the coat in the first picture, and the gloves are well done. Yep, the bag is Filson - I own its bigger brother and it's the best bag of its kind, truly. It's not too faux-faux hunting, as Gemma Catherine opined, but it's tough and well-made to brave crowds, subways, rain, and other hazards. Just does its job well with a bit of rugged flare. And not everyone has one.

Nice shots, Sart!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:23 AM) : 

2nd man...guy in 2nd photo...Gabriel...whatever...European or American, he looks hot.

 

Blogger foodie hunter said ... (2:36 AM) : 

Love the second gentleman’s ensemble. He looks great.

 

Blogger Miguel said ... (7:04 AM) : 

I think they both look great in a very different, yet paralell, kind of way and style...

Defenetly a nice look... But The thing about the gloves in the pocket I think I saw it before... Years ago.

 

Blogger Emma said ... (7:48 AM) : 

I love the purple scarf from the first picture, it creates a soft harmony with the colour of the coat.
And I must say that I'm absolutely in love with the second guy, from head to toe ! The pair of glasses is genius.

 

Blogger TMFA said ... (8:53 AM) : 

ai ai the second gentleman is rockin it. Loving the outfit.

 

Blogger LINDSAY said ... (9:27 AM) : 

Photo #2 is dreamy. What an attractive man!!!! Thanks for the eye candy.

 

Blogger Darcy said ... (9:45 AM) : 

I love all the little details in the second fellow's mid-section. The waistcoat, the glasses, the tie, the scarf. They all go together so smashingly, I need to flesh out my man-accessories repertoire.

 

Blogger Jill said ... (11:13 AM) : 

Love this idea...so creative without trying to hard. Must show my man...and I adore your washcloth in the pj pocket. Too clever and such humour!

 

Blogger Whathehelle Fontenelle said ... (12:42 PM) : 

I've been attempting to put things in my breast pocket of my suit jackets for years - mainly small furry toys!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:13 PM) : 

ohhhhhh I just admireee that first coat!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:48 PM) : 

Accessories gone wild! Are those glasses in the second photo for anything but effect? They ought to be worn properly.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:28 PM) : 

Scott,they got the Idea from your posts last winter!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:31 PM) : 

I like the way both look with their different styles but I mostly stopped by today to congratulate you on the praise your blog has in today's(Sunday) NY Times magazine.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:42 AM) : 

Gabriel looks absolutely delicious! Fashionably and physically!

 

Blogger Sage said ... (2:38 AM) : 

I love this look. The first gentleman has a great color combination going on, and the second is just lovely. He is dressed like my ideal man. I must ask, were the specs your idea?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:46 AM) : 

Love the Filson bag.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:11 AM) : 

Handkerchief gloves.

So gentleman. I love it.

La Abuela.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:12 AM) : 

God, that's so great!!!!!!!! love it

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:43 AM) : 

Now why would I want to put my gloves inin my breast pocket, instead of putting them on, if I do not wear them while walking on the street, when then?

 

Blogger gabrielazeanadal@hotmail.com said ... (11:43 AM) : 

Great pictures, both great in their own style.

I'd like to ask: beeing a woman I often don't know what to do with my gloves when I'm not wearing them. Keep them in the bag would be the easier thing, but could/should a woman stick them in a pocket like man do? Which impression does that give? I often end up carring them both in one hand or when I have those elbow high ones, I sometimes put them around my neck. Anymore ideas/comments on women and gloves? Thanks!

 

Blogger Bini said ... (12:37 PM) : 

The second one doesn't strike me as a specially well composed outfit. It like the window of a Gap shop! All items individually are ok but put together seem to turn into something very lifeless. I think the jacket and the scarf were the wrong choice!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:07 PM) : 

About the second gentleman:
"Che gran figo", as we said in Italy

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:07 PM) : 

1st guy's lavender scarf is really nice, but i love 2nd guy's burgundy cardigan. i say he looks quintessentially american prep, and could easily slip into a wes anderson movie as a snappy librarian or an archeology professor. great shots!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:42 PM) : 

congratulations, Scott, on the kudos you received in today's NYT Magazine -- your blog has been such a bright spot for many of us. you deserve the great write-up.

 

Blogger Ridonkulus said ... (3:22 PM) : 

i wonder if it looks good on women. i do like the look of gloves sticking out of side slant pockets, although mine usually falls out of my coat. NYC looks suspiciously snow-free. chicago is knee deep in slush.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:55 PM) : 

Oh yes the second boy is so delicious.

But why is everyone making a big deal about the gloves- don't you ever take your gloves off bc it warmed up or you need to use your fingers? So petty.

 

Blogger Alex said ... (4:03 PM) : 

The picture is the best!!!!!

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:32 PM) : 

The guy in the second photo is very smart. I lke the casualness of his outfit.
Actually, at thirties I wish I were dress like him...fashion would be different buy... It would be nice if I ve got this knack of mixing textures, colours, oldies looking things with modern...
Let's wait and see.
Nice idea : putting the gloves ion the chest pocket: not that very elegant but useful... It avoids losing gloves... I am used to lose mines most every winter.
La Brigade de la Mode
Paris

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:46 PM) : 

i LOVE the enlarged images!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:00 PM) : 

handsome or what :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:41 PM) : 

Personally I'm more impressed with the first gentleman's style. Something more original and fresh about it...

 

Blogger May Kasahara said ... (7:08 PM) : 

LOVE LOVE LOVE the colors on Mr. second man.

 

Blogger MARIA H said ... (7:13 PM) : 

At this point in age, I would not say one thing is 100% local, specially when is related to very similar conditions after all a pocket is a pocket.

I'm loving the bigger images!
Hope you get to post as often as you did back in the good days. ! a day is better than 30 in 1 day.

 

Blogger The Clever Pup said ... (8:54 PM) : 

The Second Man is so handsome. Seems to have repose of the soul.

 

Blogger Jackie said ... (10:51 PM) : 

I noticed the pictures are bigger on your page! I like it better like that now :)

 

Blogger Tiger Fodder said ... (12:10 AM) : 

I love the look. I need to go buy some good gloves. The bottom pic is great. I like his style. I'm copying him tomorrow. ;)

 

Blogger thirty1seven said ... (8:33 AM) : 

I just love the glove touch to the outfit! Its not just stylish, but its real! Gloves isn't just used for comfort, but also as a fashion statement.

Loved how the second guy put his outfit together..brilliant!

 

Blogger Marianna said ... (9:41 AM) : 

wow now that is one detail to absolutely fall in love with!!! definately LOVE the gloves in the chest pocket!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:04 PM) : 

Both guys looks great! especially #2

on a side note. New layout with the big pictures are great!!!

 

Blogger Olviya said ... (12:57 PM) : 

love those last outfit!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:36 PM) : 

What's next...? Bananas coming out of your trousers rear pocket?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:24 AM) : 

can anyone tell me which model that filson is? i have the tote with zipper and need an intant trade in on whatever one this man's got

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:58 AM) : 

Very oxford

 

Blogger andrea.at.the.blue.door said ... (9:29 PM) : 

Those yellow gloves, possibly in some very obscure but fabulously buttery leather, are wonderful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:49 PM) : 

lovely.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:56 PM) : 

I very much appreciate this styling. He is pulling off "a lot of look" without being overly saturated. It is timeless and will look just as stylish twenty years from now as it does today.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:37 AM) : 

the second guy looks the best! but that might be my biased opinion..since he is my cousin. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:31 PM) : 

would definitely marry the second guy.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:04 PM) : 

The men I style are always looking for unique ideas..love this one, going to pass it on..glad it finally jumped the pond!

 

Blogger FineAndDandyShop.com said ... (5:12 PM) : 

fine and dandy at its finest!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:51 PM) : 

filson 257 and I believe the 2nd guy is also wearing a filson jkt in otter green.

 

Blogger c'est moi said ... (9:51 PM) : 

The first gentilhomme is Reza Raein, no?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:49 PM) : 

Sorry, but brown shoes with black trousers are a no no. Mummy should have taught him better.

 

Blogger Mr.Right said ... (5:39 PM) : 

HOT!

 

Blogger chiggafied said ... (8:30 PM) : 

Everything pictured on the second man is just absolutely perfect. His entire ensemble paired with those small but very carefully chosen accessories makes me love this look even more.

I love the burgundy cardigan he's sporting and I do have one myself but the cut is lower. I'd love to know where his cardigan is from.

By the way, can anyone confirm if that's the Filson 256 briefcase or 257 he's carrying? I absolutely love it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:52 AM) : 

dammit, i want this guy for christmas!! please, santa, please?
he's smokin...hot!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:24 PM) : 

really nice !!! Just perfect...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:04 AM) : 

Yay another FILSON bag! my hubby is really pissed that every "dandy" men are wearing them now in the city.. hehe :P he knew filson for ages..
even rufus in Gossip girl had one =) and depp, and kidman on the interpreter :D after it appears on the sartorialist.. that's it.. more crowd :D

 

Blogger Cirilia said ... (12:12 PM) : 

I think the well-layered professorial gent could use ONE more accessory...ME!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:16 PM) : 

I liked the second one!
Fantastic!
Charming and stylish!

 

Blogger mr. stiles said ... (2:01 PM) : 

Those who love Filson should be very happy about its popularity. They make products of exceptional quality and should be supported. There is no need to prove you are a hunter in order to carry their bag. That is ridiculous. Nor is there any reason to prove you are a messenger in order to carry a messenger bag. I think our society has moved beyond that. If you can carry it off, then carry it with you.

 

Blogger Hek said ... (6:33 PM) : 

Really like the last one, he looks so... authentic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:00 PM) : 

The second guys look is flawless.

 

Blogger PunkiMeowMeow said ... (7:23 PM) : 

The gentleman in the second pic is just looks perfectly put together - flawless!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:47 PM) : 

i want to date him.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:41 AM) : 

it's funny that everyone seems to think that the second guy is European - when i first saw the picture i immediately had the impression of the new modern young American. maybe it was the slightly muted and dusky red and blue, or the reference to mid-century professors and scholars, but the whole ensemble just evokes a sense of both utility and casual class which perfectly describe my idea of the new young American professional.

i do agree that this American aesthetic does incorporate the sum of our various stylistic heritages (Italian, French, British), but all the while it maintains that "made in the USA" confidence.

so, while i am getting the European vibes, i see this look more like "if Andrew Wyeth made a trip to the big city for the weekend."

 

Blogger pm said ... (3:22 PM) : 

i'm in love with the second guy
i really have to go to NY
just 4400miles, who cares

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:47 PM) : 

Both are charming but second guy's whole ensemble I am in love with.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:40 AM) : 

G: you look fantastic

 

Blogger Esther Zamorano said ... (5:19 PM) : 

He´s american urbanchic, PERFECT!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:35 PM) : 

Love the look on both guys. Tres chic! Second guy mmmmmmm........ a guy who knows how to dress is muy fuego

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:02 PM) : 

very complimentary! he looks so modern...
suzana*

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:07 AM) : 

It was very interesting for me to read that post. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more on that blog soon.

 

Anonymous rüya tabirleri said ... (11:48 AM) : 

It is a nice touch, and you can be sure you are not going to drop a glove when you are reaching in for coffee change, your keys or your entry card, right? I love the Filson briefcase, I am going to get one of their bags as my next gym duffle!!! Jorge from W Palm Beach

 

Anonymous Muscovite said ... (2:45 PM) : 

the second man.... is shaking. And i like how his gloves stick out of a pocket) eeeeeh)

 

Blogger fredc said ... (8:36 AM) : 

I love the look of the youngest. Classic with a touch of modernity!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting