This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....On Tonal, Bowery

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

On the Street....On Tonal, Bowery

Comments on "On the Street....On Tonal, Bowery"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:54 AM) : 

i really like this look. the combination of sneakers and army-ish coat. also his sweater and sneakers match, thats really awsome

 

Blogger ryder said ... (11:03 AM) : 

study in contrasts from velvet collar guy-toned down in both color and sharpness.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:04 AM) : 

Eh.

 

Blogger The Concrete Commentator said ... (11:05 AM) : 

I like the structured jacket with the sneakers and casual pants

 

Blogger Paul Baxendale said ... (11:20 AM) : 

What a smart looking coat! I must say, however, that I am put off when my eyes make their way down the perfect outfit and fall on.... nike's. This was the case with the "Flea Market Fines" gentleman as well. I do wish the taste for nike would wane.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:26 AM) : 

We asked for shoes.
We got shoes.
Lesson learned.
:)

I wish everyone health, wealth and happiness in the coming year!
Cheers,
Celeste

 

Blogger Eric.Granwehr said ... (11:26 AM) : 

wow i really love how well he matched the swoosh in his shoe to the long-sleeve shirt under his topcoat. and the scarf to the pants and the hat. so well coordinated.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:28 AM) : 

I love it ! the jacket and the scarf ... simply beautiful!

and the nike shoes ...

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:30 AM) : 

Serene.

Happy New Year Sart.

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (11:30 AM) : 

Are you refering to the consistency of the earth tones through his outfit? I think it is a dangerous path, but he pulls it off well. Mostly, I think this is because of the good fit of the coat; long yet close to his body throughout. It would be too easy to go for one of those huge coats everyone wears, and it would kill this. The sneakers appear to be vintage, which is always cool. Only thing I would change would be the wrinkle creases on the pants. Stuff fresh out of the dryer: yes. Stuff that looks like it has been piled on a heap of laundered stuff: definitely a no-no. Jorge from W Palm Beach

 

Blogger Sarah-Mary said ... (11:35 AM) : 

the flash of his wrist and trainers just make this.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:36 AM) : 

Looks like I may be the only one, but I do not like the Nike shoes

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:39 AM) : 

SHARP.
happy new year :)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:41 AM) : 

The shoes make this practical and ordinary. Not a bad look, just not very distinguished overall. But his face is appealing, and he's set it off well with the plain, pale hat and scarf. Actually the color scheme as a whole seems designed to make his face pop.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:41 AM) : 

The shoes make this practical and ordinary. Not a bad look, just not very distinguished overall. But his face is appealing, and he's set it off well with the plain, pale hat and scarf. Actually the color scheme as a whole seems designed to make his face pop.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:56 AM) : 

I love the shoes, they fit with his pullover, although there's only a tiny piece of his sleeve.
Good & Simple.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:58 AM) : 

I don't mind the shoes. I'll give him a break and assume that these are the shoes he walks in and he has his stylish shoes under his desk in his office!

Oddly, what bugs me about this look is the way the scarf is tied. For some reason I just don't like it, probably because it hides the front of that gorgeous coat.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:12 PM) : 

My college professor always said, one should always judge a person by the shoes he wears. You don't go into the woodshop wearing flip flops, he said, and you don't present at your final critique wearing sneakers.

 

Blogger Aussie said ... (12:28 PM) : 

I'm not really sure what to think.
I think if his pants were black I'd love the look

 

Blogger ashley said ... (12:30 PM) : 

oh man the shoes make it

 

Blogger Kate said ... (12:36 PM) : 

What a handsome man, and he looks so easygoing. Nothing as stylish as being unaffected. Love the earth and sky references in the colors.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:47 PM) : 

Wow, that scarf is amazing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:57 PM) : 

i'm not normally a fan of facial hair but this gentleman's beard is really adding something to the look, along with the sneakers it's a neat combination of classic and cool.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:23 PM) : 

this is one of those times when i really have to step back and praise the part you play in translating this look onto paper (or rather, screen). this is a reminder to me of how the great synergy in these looks isnt only from the people who have assembled them, but also from your thoughtfulness behind the scenes/lens.
the background here is fantastic and raises everyrththing to the next level.
the glass has a nice transparency that keeps everything light and effectively keeps it in the background while complimenting the person.
the colors in the glass compliment the colors you are pointing out in the outfit perfectly.

way to go.

i really like the glass background.

 

Blogger Dominica said ... (1:29 PM) : 

The sneakers make this look modern...I can see a little bit of his sweater too and I'm happy to see it's a replay of the label on his shoes ...
Great winters look !
I like it !


PS Sart, have a wonderful New Years eve and keep up the good work !
Warmly, Dominica

 

Blogger Camille said ... (1:36 PM) : 

Interesting play with proportions here. But overall, I'm undecided about how he's pulled this look together.

 

Blogger Joy said ... (2:38 PM) : 

The shoes are great! It matches his sleeve (or watch? can't tell..) The blue is a good contrasting color to the rest of the outfit which is more muted in color. I think he looks stunning as everything fits him well and he matches well with his pants to his beanie to his scarf. Lovely casual look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:48 PM) : 

wow...so unique. just the way he wears his scarf, his nike shoes...very refreshing

 

Blogger J.A.F. said ... (3:02 PM) : 

Awww, well he's just cute, I do really like that coat.

 

Blogger Hemaly said ... (3:10 PM) : 

Ugh, don't like it with sneakers.
Happy New Year!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:18 PM) : 

I really dig this look for the same reason as other folks. Its a bit formal, a bit casual all tied up on one. A total JFK Jr. type thing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:22 PM) : 

love it until the shoes... this is outside the new museum right?

-Roz

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:31 PM) : 

The shoes ruin the look for me. Here's hoping 11:58 is right about the stylish shoes at the office.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:42 PM) : 

I love this outfit. The neutrals really work for him, and the Nikes make it that much cooler.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:54 PM) : 

Happy New Year! In 2009 I will learn to be a smart worker :) that's my resolution! all the best for you and your blog, best Kathrin

 

Blogger SparkleQueen said ... (3:59 PM) : 

I'm totally digging the hint of blue in such a neutral color palette.

 

Blogger Jadore-Fashion said ... (5:26 PM) : 

great look!!!

 

Blogger Paolo Manaloto said ... (5:26 PM) : 

its the little things like the matching shirt color with the swoosh on the shoes that i like about this look.

and the fact that his coat is gorgeous.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:04 PM) : 

YES comfort without sacrificing style. my fave. and the background reminds me of windows vista haha, but it looks very cool and optimistic.

 

Blogger kmarie said ... (7:30 PM) : 

eh.

 

Blogger hmstrjam said ... (8:20 PM) : 

ciao, the blue nike checks make the look- hints of color is where it's at

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:47 PM) : 

i would like to meet this man

 

Blogger jeanne said ... (8:48 PM) : 

love it...all of it! the shoes are surprisingly refreshing...

i like how he ties his scarf...i'm gonna have to experiment w/mine until i can get it to look like that...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:57 PM) : 

Love the coat and the scarf combo, but the shoes throw the whole outfit off.

 

Blogger ijustwanttodeletethis said ... (1:39 AM) : 

The coat is the perfect length, and he's really making me with I was male and could grow a beard to keep my face warm. That may be a little odd, but c'est la vie.

 

Blogger Gershon said ... (1:53 AM) : 

I'm not really feeling this at all. I don't care much for scarves outside of the jackets, I'm lean towards functionality in general. The overcoat is very nice but it doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the outfit.

Without getting into the khakis in the winter argument, sneakers with khakis is always hard to do. These shoes are just to informal to make it work. I do however, find it clever that he matched his sweater with the swoosh. Perhaps this outfit would look better sans coat, hat, and scarf...I might even be able to get over the shoe khaki thing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:27 AM) : 

i love this way of tying a scarf it looks nice and makes u feel safe underneath the warmth

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:08 AM) : 

Bonne année from France. @ +++

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:18 AM) : 

Wow! I love this look. Great combination of colors.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:38 AM) : 

The picture is just incredible.
I almost don't care about the look today and just enjoy the light and the tones.
Thank you Scott

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (10:22 AM) : 

What's wrong with his shoes?

I like his whole look. :)

Hope you've had a great New Years eve celebration, Scott!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:18 PM) : 

I don't like the wrinkly pants, not to mention the sneakers. They are at odds with the elegant coat and scarf.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:35 PM) : 

Great flashes of aqua on the trainers and the wrist.

Sart, I really like it when you comment on pictures, if only for a few short words. I'd kinda like to see more.

 

Blogger Starmarket said ... (12:48 PM) : 

the whole look, with the hint of the blue in the sleeves with the macenroe tennis classics. i like...

 

Blogger Topham Beauclerk said ... (12:53 PM) : 

Oh this is great! What a wonderful line, which is a nice thing about winter coats. I always particularly like it when The Sartorialist features "real real" folks whose sense of style is (or at least seems to be) utterly natural and free of self-consciousness.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:03 PM) : 

I was apathetic to this until I noticed in the comments that the shirt matches the swoosh. I like that. A LOT.
Although I'm not a huge fan of the scarf the way he has it tied.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:11 PM) : 

Proletarian. This is nice for a walk or doing some light errands.

 

Blogger John Danner said ... (1:20 PM) : 

That is a really great coat. I personally don't like camel, I think it only looks right on the right person wearing the right things.I find it boring more often than not.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:39 PM) : 

While the shoes do shoe a bit of his personality, he certainly could have done better. But I do love how his shirt matches the swoosh...

And I agree with an earlier poster regarding the scarf... it's a bit too much for me.

Great colour coordination though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:49 PM) : 

This gentlemen's look becomes more stylish the more one looks at it. HIs ability to accentuate each individual piece as its own, through part of the whole, is something that is rarely seen. Love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:01 PM) : 

I love the coat, but the shoes are killer. I like that they remind me of something my brother wore in the 80's, but somehow now chic. And I did notice that his sweater seems to match, at least it looks that way from the cuff.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:08 PM) : 

I like his combination of colors and the look like he is NOT trying to hard to look chromatically correct. Today, it is obvious this guy is in his "chill" mode. I would wear any of these pieces in a second, especially the coat (vintage?).

 

Blogger Susie said ... (2:34 PM) : 

I agree, it appears to be a nice scarf, but its too long, too..... just not right. I'm not a huge fan of sneakers but they are comfortable to walk around town in. Lose that scarf.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:36 PM) : 

I love the coat with the shoes.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:24 PM) : 

Is this a Rag and Bone coat? I like this way of tying the scarf over that particular coat, like Bob Cratchit.

 

Blogger FireBrand said ... (5:12 PM) : 

I love it's pragmatism. Sometimes you just have to run out to the store and hey...That look will work.

 

Blogger Evan E. Roberts said ... (5:13 PM) : 

Yeah I think he def could have tied the scarf better but dude prolly didn't think he was going to be on The Sartorialist when he stepped out, it was prolly something more like "Jeez it's cold outside!" lol

The shoes and shirt is dope tho, you people that don't like Nikes just because they are successful are missing out on a quality brand that really seeks to be in tune to the customer. That's why they drop so many colors of the same shoe. They look like All Courts but whether or not they're vintage is impossible to tell cause white shoes get that yellow aging from light and oxygen exposure. I used to work in a shoe store lol

 

Blogger The Management said ... (5:19 PM) : 

The reflections in the glass and the light make this a gorgeous shot, regardless of the rest.

 

Blogger Sam Reiss said ... (5:24 PM) : 

i think the shoes make the outfit here. they're old vintage canvas early 80s joints. he'd look like a prig if he was wearing boring old wallabees or red wings or whatever work wear shoes, imo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:39 PM) : 

I love the proportions and fit of the coat. But colour coordination is a tricky thing. I like his face.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:41 PM) : 

I actaully love the whole idea of the "put-togeather" coat, pants,and scarf combined with the nike sneakers. To me they give an urban feel to the outfit.

 

Blogger I.AM.FASHION said ... (10:39 PM) : 

Im simply digging his style. He pulled it off quite well.

 

Blogger Ryan said ... (11:24 PM) : 

Everything is perfect. Head to toes well-chosen. These are the styles I love to see on this site.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:29 PM) : 

Love the Nikes!

 

Blogger lisa @ luxe said ... (11:36 PM) : 

i am sure your blog will bring even more inspiration to all this new year... h-a-p-p-y-2-0-0-9!!!
xoxo from las vegas

 

Blogger its for your own good said ... (12:58 AM) : 

wrinkled khakis with a huge hem cuff?
not cute.
rad coat.
done with the vintage nikes.
love the coat.

 

Blogger Ahmed Ali Akbar said ... (1:34 AM) : 

i think the shoes gives him a dynamism that woudn't otherwise be present in the outfit.

it adds some personality.

stop hatin.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:04 AM) : 

huge scarf...
hotness is to be questioned

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:05 AM) : 

I love this look. It just seems so average with the casual khakis and the sneaks. Also, the coat is phenomenal. Great outfit!

 

Blogger Stephen Connor said ... (3:50 AM) : 

He looks like a bit of a dude to me . I like the contrast of sharp and casual. Personally I love the nikes in this combination!!! Agreed, not for the office but classic tennis shoes look great for daywear. There's something about this shoe that will always appeal to the late 30's/early 40's bloke - regardless of trends.

 

Blogger MELI. said ... (4:25 AM) : 

what a cutie

 

Blogger Somebody said ... (5:13 AM) : 

I love that coat! This man clearly knows how to tie a scarf, too.

However, I really think this look would be better with some stylish dress shoes. The white nike sneakers just kill it for me.

 

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said ... (9:20 AM) : 

Great down to the knees.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:13 AM) : 

fab!

 

Blogger mary jane said ... (12:19 PM) : 

I like how you matched just the same tiny amount of turquoise in the background as in his outfit. Its always about your pictures for me. Happy new year!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:13 PM) : 

I liked the coat and the scarf.
But the pants and the sneakers have disappointed me...

 

Blogger LRB said ... (2:06 PM) : 

This look came together perfectly in colors, textures and overall.

 

Blogger thwany said ... (3:20 PM) : 

love the scarf

 

Blogger Hek said ... (6:29 PM) : 

Not that it's anything wrong with the guy, but I like the background.:)

 

Blogger Shaynuh said ... (6:53 PM) : 

Its not that unusual. There's just a contrast in structure (i.e. wool coat) and deconstructure (i.e. the non-pleated slacks).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:20 PM) : 

love your job.
you should come take some pics in Brazil..

 

Blogger secondvurss said ... (9:38 PM) : 

i like the look- the coat is fly and the sneakers keep it casual. he looks stylish and comfortable.

 

Blogger Scoot said ... (10:18 PM) : 

scarf killed it for me. but i love the coat.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:06 AM) : 

love the coat but the whole outfit is too matchy matchy and that scarf is doing nothing but weirdly hanging there.

 

Blogger TMFA said ... (8:26 AM) : 

Very stylish and ready for the winter.
I like the density of his beard.

The only thing I am not really fond of are the shoes in this combination.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:51 PM) : 

Great coat!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:44 PM) : 

Love the coat. The color and the structure is amazing and the scarf is a nice addition.

 

Blogger Tony Post No Bills | Washington DC said ... (3:39 AM) : 

I love the coat in this picture. As well as the way that the blue either shirt or watch compliment's the kicks. However I would still say that the kicks throw off the outfit. Got to keep em clean, but this is about being comfortable just as in your own skin as you are in your clothes. And that is what this is about.

 

Blogger Katarina Kühl ~ PencilFashion said ... (8:11 AM) : 

i love the big size of your photos lately!!!

 

Blogger Ichiki said ... (9:06 AM) : 

So new school.
It's a eternal theme.
Just do it!

 

Blogger Leonardo said ... (10:04 AM) : 

Posh!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:27 AM) : 

I like how the sneakers match the shirt under the coat! Also a nice blend of natural colours against the cold, wintery, colours of the blue and white.

 

Blogger Alicia said ... (6:12 PM) : 

The cut of the jacket could be better. It looks like the bottom hem is narrower than the shoulder, which isn't right, imho.

Beards are hot.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:02 PM) : 

I just love this blog! I knew your job in blog from a brazilian (www.nossaiorque.blogspot.com), and since my first visit I never stop follow the news, the new black, everything, and toay reading VEJA, also from Brazil I saw a interview about who? about what??? This magnific blog and its mentour! Congratulations! And I hope you came more to Brazil to now the fashion of São Paulo, Minas Gerais, Amazonas, Bahia.. WELCOME!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:05 PM) : 

That scarf is serious! I want it now! lol.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:24 AM) : 

Oh what a beautiful picture! The colours in his clothes harmonize gorgeously with the background setting.. especially love the bright turquoise hinted throughout! Lovely outfit, nice calm photo xo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:12 AM) : 

I like the look of your site. Very clean. This is the first time I've seen it, I already bookmarked it. Keep it up.

-Justin

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:23 AM) : 

trainers and beard are stylish ! !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:05 AM) : 

Look at his shirt (or is it a bracelet?) matching the sneakers!
THAT is style!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:26 AM) : 

sooo nice !!!! I really luuuvv your pics!! Isaw about u in Elle Portugal (but I'm in Brazil hahahahhhaha) and I search the blog

:)

 

Blogger bimba said ... (8:36 AM) : 

Well it's his smile that fits everything even the scarf, that is too- too long...

 

Blogger Aaron Brown said ... (8:43 AM) : 

The jacket is great the scarf maybe a tab big but he does pull it off. I 'm not too crazy about the shoes either.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:19 AM) : 

I find it interesting people are saying the shoes are ruining the look for them. For me the sneakers complete the look.

 

Blogger Ska said ... (9:20 AM) : 

Hi I`m from Argentina. I love your Blog !!! Saludos! elnegroentanga

 

Blogger Jingoist said ... (10:38 AM) : 

I love that you can absolutely tell he does not take himself too seriously. And the Nike's matching the hint of color you see on his shirt cuff rocks.

 

Blogger bug pin said ... (11:23 AM) : 

Scarf is tied too perfectly IMO--don't know if that was a purposeful contrast to the, wrinkled pants and shoes which I think are too casual. Did he actually give thought to his outfit? I mean, was it truly a study in contrasts?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:25 PM) : 

Looks like the beige moderation army missed this guy. Nice coat though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:24 PM) : 

He looks amazing: Sandwiched between the rather contrived but refined GQ looks of the gentleman shown below him and the casual Superfuture uniforms of the gentlemen shown above him, he is such a true individual in the spirit of the Sartorialist.

Everything he is wearing (except for the kicks) may be vintage or designer, thrift store or high lux, and the gentleman himself may be rich or poor-- doesn't really matter. All that matters, in the context of the purpose of this blog, is he transcends all these factors with his style.

Radiant style (and his warm smile adds to his allure).

Thanks for sharing.

PLO

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:32 PM) : 

This look would be so solid with a nicer pair of loafers or workboots... the nike shoes ruined it for me!

 

Blogger thwany said ... (10:18 PM) : 

looking at this photo again, i really like the look of his worn nikes. they go great with his pants and coat.

 

Blogger Pete is a man said ... (12:49 AM) : 

He's a hot mess w/o the coat.

 

Blogger Rebeca Muñoz López said ... (7:18 PM) : 

hummm Finally, i do not like.

 

Blogger Fabio Bucciardini said ... (1:19 PM) : 

MI PIACE UN CASINO. I love it. Bravo. Stylish and simply. Hearth and elegance.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:49 PM) : 

The sneakers match perfectley! Sports labels are very stylish when they are worn the right way. And this guy really gets it. Dont all the people that are hating sneakers know that Adidas Stan Smith are Marc Jacobs favorite shoe? People are so narrow minded when it comes to sneakers. So snobbish.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:08 PM) : 

I don't really like how the scarf is tied or the shoes, but that coat is fantastic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:55 PM) : 

looks like the A.P.C./ nike's collab. court shoes

 

Blogger The Style Therapist said ... (5:03 PM) : 

Love his sneakers.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:52 PM) : 

the royal tenenbaum look

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:52 AM) : 

a bit funny, a bit comic, it works just for a while.

 

Blogger GZ said ... (1:10 AM) : 

He walked out of the house, but absent mindedly put the wrong shoes on. We'll forgive him though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:27 AM) : 

I love the cut of this coat! Look how the swoosh matches the cuff of his shirt/sweater. Good work indeed!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting