This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.... Florence, Italy

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

On the Street.... Florence, Italy

Comments on "On the Street.... Florence, Italy"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:36 PM) : 

And I thought I was brave by buying my first paif of teal jeans. I love the colors!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:36 PM) : 

It is amazing how people wear colour in Italy. You rarely see black on black. --T

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:40 PM) : 

STUNNING... Must be something in the Italian air-- your skills are sharpened to their fullest potential in these portraits. Sublime.

I'm in love with the strong dynamics between the old-world street corners and the modern, fluorescent colors fleeting by. So surreal, like a painting.

Looking forward to your book-- the "bespoke" edition, of course ;-)

PLO

 

Blogger The Clever Pup said ... (5:47 PM) : 

This is a beautiful and serendipitous photo. A nice echo is happening between the two subjects.

 

Blogger Ane said ... (5:51 PM) : 

love the lighting

 

Blogger J. said ... (5:56 PM) : 

I love the orange trousers! Very cool shot...

 

Blogger Brian said ... (6:02 PM) : 

In California, his pants are the color of prison-issue jumpsuits. If he wore that here, people would think he had just escaped from prison and shoplifted his getaway jacket & fedora from Brioni...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:02 PM) : 

this is one of your best!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:13 PM) : 

Brave ol' man for wearing orange trousers, though I'm not sure he's aware of how similarily dressed as the garbage-man he is:p Think this pic is kinda ironic. And well shot. This is litterally being at the right place at the right time. Nicely done!

 

Blogger mau said ... (6:14 PM) : 

really love the photo
the most is bot wearing orange! :p

 

Blogger diane said ... (6:28 PM) : 

I think the old man looks slightly modern; good for him!

 

Blogger Marta L. said ... (6:30 PM) : 

First time I have seen this photo, I have thought..what??where is the look?
But at the second time I have seen not only a old man and a worker. I have seen the colors, the light, the simetry..
It is an aparent normal momment, but this photo let you to enjoy it.

pd: sorry for my english..

 

Blogger Fluff Chance said ... (6:31 PM) : 

such a great image. I have a few pair of orange trousers in a mix of fabrics. I'm always a little self conscious about wearing them, but these men look so right, and the color is so joyous. We need a bright light here in NYC. I think I'll pull out my suede ones and take a walk on the wild side. All of your images on this trip are very compelling and provocative in the most unassuming way. I like your eye!. Congratulations on your upcoming book. I will anxiously await it. Enjoy your trip!
Fluff Chance
http://emperorsoldclothes.blogspoy.com/

 

Blogger A Feira said ... (6:43 PM) : 

fine! love it! ;) - sabrina- brasil

 

Blogger MELI. said ... (7:03 PM) : 

excellent timing scott. light, colours and the energy of these beautiful men. gorgeous!!!

 

Blogger Emily said ... (7:10 PM) : 

Beautiful lighting in this photo! and I love how both men have similarly colored outfits on, yet are so different.

 

Blogger ashley said ... (7:26 PM) : 

it's interesting to see that fluoro orange is for uniforms around the world

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:52 PM) : 

great shot, makes you wonder what's going on.

 

Blogger Dan in Richmond said ... (8:05 PM) : 

I won't be adopting these fashions, but another lovely photograph. Regarding your book (YEAH!!!), I don't know if I will be able to afford the bespoke edition, but I'd certainly like it in hardcover- I'm sure it will be one to keep. I'm glad to know that it's forthcoming.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:11 PM) : 

Only in Italy could the fireman's pants be the perfect length. Or is he a gargabe man? Even hotter!

 

Blogger Anthea said ... (8:11 PM) : 

I love the contrasting colors. I took a photo of a construction worker here in Japan because their uniforms are so unique. They are blue with white borders. They look like school uniforms! Hope you are enjoying your time there!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:20 PM) : 

The symmetries here are awesome, what a magnificent slice of time, color and observation. Great shot.

 

Blogger Ichiki said ... (8:30 PM) : 

This is what I wating for!
That's why I love your weblog.
and I just wondering,
Do they know that shooting by you Mr.scott?
Is this reportage?

 

Blogger Nico said ... (8:40 PM) : 

I love the fact that you were able to capture in one shot the extremely different reasons for such similar looking pants. I wonder whether the bag-carrying gentleman considered this juxtaposition before he left the house.

 

Blogger SparkleQueen said ... (9:37 PM) : 

This is AMAZING. Complimentary colors all the way! & the composition...... just beautiful

-Emily

 

Blogger Ivy Lane said ... (9:39 PM) : 

Super cool shot!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:50 PM) : 

Mr. Sartorialist,

Nevermind the clothes, it's really amazing to see you develop as a photographer. Keep it up!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:50 PM) : 

I've never been a huge fan of orange but this shot is fantastic; the colour and placement of the bag make the picture I think.

 

Blogger Erin said ... (10:33 PM) : 

lol... you could not have possibly had better timing :)

 

Blogger Duncan Simpson said ... (10:35 PM) : 

Looking forward to your book!
what kind of camera are you using now? Did you get the Canon 5d mark 2 yet?

 

Blogger entasis said ... (10:35 PM) : 

i thought it was a contrast between a garbage man and a elderly man. not that i disapprove.

Tony

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:48 PM) : 

I love how he matches the worker behind him! Was this on purpose?

 

Blogger The Concrete Commentator said ... (10:50 PM) : 

Yeah...nice colors, nice lighting, and love his hat.

 

Blogger Joy said ... (10:59 PM) : 

Old Italy and New Italy together. Both so different, yet they are united by color. The old man's style is fantastic. It's daring and classic at the same time.

 

Blogger SHIMO said ... (11:00 PM) : 

makes me think of Operations

 

Blogger Starck Mad said ... (11:18 PM) : 

This is SUCH a cool photo. Like two Braniff jets in the 70's, taxiing on a runway.

 

Blogger Lenoxave said ... (11:21 PM) : 

I love that punch of color on both the garbage man and the gent carrying his bag home. Nice contrast.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:58 PM) : 

I love how both men are wearing the same color combination. One as a pedestrian and one as a uniform for work. Amazing candid picture!

 

Blogger Zensurfer said ... (12:04 AM) : 

ditto on the clever pup, quite fortuitous indeed. Also can be looked at as the "country" style and the "sporty" style =)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:10 AM) : 

Tudo chic! kiss

 

Blogger Salóme said ... (12:21 AM) : 

This is such a wonderful photo. Seeing two people being so different but nearly identical at the same time without even noticing.. it's lovely.
Made me laugh and think.
Thank you for that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:32 AM) : 

What!? It's not right! How do they make orange pants look so good! Amazing Italian style.. great one sartorialist.

 

Blogger christian barnard land studio said ... (12:32 AM) : 

the range orange coloured hues in this shot is interesting. The building, rubbish, pants and bin.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:36 AM) : 

my goodness. What a picture.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:45 AM) : 

Never would I dare to try to pull off orange pants- but this man looks so good in them I think I'll have to now.

Not only is the outfit great (I'd like to see whats under the jacket though) but it's a great photograph. I especially like the construction worker's pants in the background in comparison to the ones the old man is wearing.

 

Blogger J. M. said ... (1:00 AM) : 

The colours and the light in this photo are superb.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:04 AM) : 

Ah orange pants. How cool. I especially love what appears to be duct tape around the gentleman on the right's pants. Very interesting.

On another note, Sart, did you ever do that makeover on the student? I was kind of looking forward to it.

 

Blogger Petulia said ... (2:33 AM) : 

Orange trousers are huge this year among Italian and French sophisticated men. I have bumped (and photographed) a couple in Rome and Paris just a few weeks ago!
I love the pairing done here.
Sarto, your pictures seem more artistic when you are in Italy!

 

Blogger Emme A said ... (3:06 AM) : 

Oh, the light of Florence in winter... I miss it (and I miss the Italian man I once loved madly, too).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:46 AM) : 

Superbe photo !

 

Blogger artadviser said ... (4:51 AM) : 

Scott i´ve always liked your images, but some of your late photos, like this one, are just impressive!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:37 AM) : 

OMG this is perfection and also the first time I comment after reading and looking at your blog for over 2 years!!!

what I first noticed was the combine in their outfits and the second thing was that the garbage man is walking into the shadow and the other one into the light!!!

B R A V O.

Brgds,
Gudrun from Iceland

 

Blogger Mr.Right said ... (5:56 AM) : 

I keep watching characters like this here in Barcelona, I just saw yesterday an old fancy lady with two colorfull pieces outfit with a textile bag of Harrod's in green, isn't it great??

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:42 AM) : 

There's a story being told here in the angles of their bodies, the surefootedness, straight back of the younger man, the gingerly step, slight bent of the elderly gentleman. Two people, having something in common, much not, meet for a moment in time, then pass, likely without comment. The younger man moves purposefully toward the light--he has work to do, a life to live. The older seems headed into the shadows... If asked to give a title to this photo, I'd use the opening line from Yeats' "Sailing to Byzantium": "This is no country for old men."

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:25 AM) : 

Doppelgängers.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:40 AM) : 

Besides the amazing juxtaposition of these two men, I love how the double stripe on the workers pants are echoed by the double stripe on the dumpster. Excellent shot.

 

Blogger Diana said ... (8:45 AM) : 

The other comments make me unsure, but is the trouser in the foreground really orange?
The gentleman is standing exacltly in the sunshine, and also the wall is terracotta, so a plain pant can reflect this orange color as well...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:53 AM) : 

wonderful, stunning photo

 

Blogger J.A.F. said ... (9:20 AM) : 

In a word, and to copy everyone else who has already blogged, "Stunning" pure and simple.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:33 AM) : 

fantastic picture!!!

 

Blogger Stephanie Clayton said ... (10:53 AM) : 

oh the color in this shot! complementary colors are so electric. this photo is pure art.

 

Blogger mgi said ... (11:07 AM) : 

symmetry in colors - asymmetric walks of life? you never know. wonder what´s in his bag. fresh vegetables or a book on how-to-make-friends-without-trying-to-hard? great picture! makes me wanna go back to florence. instantly.

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (12:39 PM) : 

Nice shot. Great contrast!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:15 PM) : 

isnt it great how captured moments in time make us overlay a story or interpretation...

did the blue bag man look back at you Sart when you were taking this shot as he seems to be heading straight into the corner rather than turning it or heading down the other direction?

again, the range of orange hues is great. love the shot, meets the fashion as well as art criteria that we have come to expect on your blog. love it.

 

Blogger Olívia Florência said ... (5:47 PM) : 

In Brazil it's the same uniform, and i've always liked it! very cool!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:58 PM) : 

What an incredible picture.
You really managed to catch the light at the PERFECT moment for having the best of those punchy colors.
I love the way the bright tangerine pants respond to one another, creating a bond between the two man...
Great great great
:)

 

Blogger Bunny said ... (7:52 PM) : 

This picture is great. It makes an interesting point.

 

Blogger What is Reality Anyway? said ... (8:05 PM) : 

i love him! adore that shot x

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:23 PM) : 

Oh, I love this shot! For all the reasons the other commentators have already listed; I have to add my voice to the acclaim!

I have a vest made of the same fabric as the trash-man's. It even has the two reflective bands. Next time I am riding my motorbike in the rain, I will wear it with pride and look for you taking my photo, Mr Sart!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:44 AM) : 

Are you KIDDIN' me with this shot? The pavement's colour in contrast to various oranges is insane. INSANE!!! Love it!

 

Blogger Iris said ... (3:20 AM) : 

This is so beautiful. I really LOVE your pictures. Thanks for that daily real pleasure. Kisses from Saint Germain des près.

 

Blogger Éclairer said ... (5:14 AM) : 

Isn't it via dei Peppi???? Or at least Via Ghibellina?

 

Blogger Barbara said ... (1:10 PM) : 

Does beauty lie in the eyes of the beholder? You turn garbage men into such stylish people!

 

Blogger Allen - East Hampton said ... (2:11 PM) : 

First of all, exceptional shot: the interplay of colors, the lighting, the background, the works.
And, whenever I see those worker's pants with the big reflective bands at the ankles I get just a little jealous. I love that particular uniform look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:47 PM) : 

omg, i think it could be your best shot yet. totally amazing image, beautiful. Everything seems so natural, and yet so stunning. congrats

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:23 PM) : 

Amazing!
This one must be in the book!!!!!!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:14 AM) : 

super cool contrast amazing shot, the old man is so cool chic while the garbage man is just in his uniform its almost spooky that you got them together

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:45 AM) : 

This makes me want to go to Italy so bad...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:57 PM) : 

A keeper of a photo. (The guys with the clothes look great too.) The photo elements almost dance: the light making the mens' feet move, the shadows dancing, the red curves holding onto the dumpster, the wall color(s) accepting light, the grates counterpointing, the darks and lights accenting each other.

On the guys and their clothes - men of a certain age seemingly happy with bold choices. Love it.

Don't mean to post this twice - forgot the word verifying the first time -

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:39 PM) : 

I'm Ameriacan; went to school in the S. of France in the 70s. I kept seeing these guys in blue frocks...I thought they were chemistry profs...they all looked and acted like Einstein. Turns out they were janitors. Et bain alors, they looked great, just like the Italiano garbage man. Agnelli would approve.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:11 AM) : 

Lets bring back the colors for this Spring!

Love
Carol
http://www.everyyachtcharter.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:52 PM) : 

excellent picture, congratulations Mr. Sartorialist! to some fashion addicts out there: don't take it too seriously, the man in the right is just at work (an important but not very glamourous one by the way) in his working clothes, I'm sure he didn't want to set a fashion statement.

 

Blogger Tiger Fodder said ... (3:23 PM) : 

This is by far one of my favorite pictures you have taken. The colors are so vibrant and just pop off the screen. I wish I was a photographer so I could understand how you did that. As far as the clothes, are the past really orange. If they are I say kudos. I don't have the guts to do that. I love the hat.

 

Blogger deb said ... (10:44 PM) : 

what a great photo. the timing of the sunlight on the pants, the complimentary colors, the different lives.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:35 PM) : 

VERY HELMUT LANG AT THE BEHINNING !

 

Anonymous flyer said ... (3:56 PM) : 

What a great pic!!

 

Blogger Helen said ... (4:03 PM) : 

Bravo !!!!! really nice, one of them is wearing his work-cloths, safe & smart.... just Italy !!!!!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting