This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....The Gesture, Fabio Borrelli, Florence

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

On the Street....The Gesture, Fabio Borrelli, Florence


I chose Fabio to be on my first page in GQ two years ago because of total unconscious style like this. "Unconscious Style" that sounds like a good phrase.

Anyway, Fabio is just full of these little quirks and it is so charming. He almost tries to hide them (if you can hide walking with your hand in your coat?) because he is actually very shy. If you notice I haven't shot him standing still in quite a while because he hates posing for pictures so much.

Comments on "On the Street....The Gesture, Fabio Borrelli, Florence"

 

Blogger The Concrete Commentator said ... (8:38 AM) : 

love that! It's funny I do that sometimes too, well...to keep my hand warm though. love his pants and the jacket/coat looks good on him too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:49 AM) : 

I used to do this quite a bit as well when I had a peacoat (and I'm female). It's a great way to keep your hand warm but I eventually just felt a bit too much like Napoleon so I managed to quit. Funny to think of it as a 'style quirk'

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:01 AM) : 

I always hide my left hand in my coat....it's too cold!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:08 AM) : 

The shape of their shoes is wonderful! and his trousers...great!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:24 AM) : 

be aware... Shy Unconscious Style Man Walking.

... is good.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:29 AM) : 

Instead, I'm waiting for a Lino Ieluzzi's posed shot...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:32 AM) : 

For the non-French on the blog (yes, there are quite a few!), a reminder that this is the typical pose that Napoleon was always getting himself portrayed in.

 

Blogger Pam said ... (9:44 AM) : 

Fabio has style and he's HOT! I love the popped collar. Great pic!

 

Blogger Mo said ... (9:53 AM) : 

he looks quite handsome and he makes having your hand in your coat look very casual. A quirk that little can pull off. :)

 

Blogger Craig Curtis said ... (9:57 AM) : 

He can put his hand in that coat as far as I'm concerned. It's gorgeous. And the trousers? A+!!!

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (10:05 AM) : 

Very Napoleon.

 

Blogger Dutchbaby said ... (10:22 AM) : 

"Unconscious style" is a great phrase. It connotes that their style comes from within and that they live and breathe style. These men would definitely turn my head. Love that Napoleon pose!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:42 AM) : 

Nice, love the Napoleon pose too...and I must confess I find myself so many times like him..
X

 

Blogger Stephanie Clayton said ... (10:48 AM) : 

unconscious style...now that should be the ultimate redundancy....if only!
these are two handsome men in beautiful clothing. i love everything about this photo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:50 AM) : 

that coat is hot! i love it and he looks great! i also love the shirt coming out below the jacket, very understated!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:52 AM) : 

Napoleon actually did the same thing, or at least Jacques-Louis David portrayed him doing so. <3 Way to steal from the Classics.

 

Blogger norawoah said ... (11:02 AM) : 

I love how you can just see the edge of his blazer peaking out at the bottom, and his pants are at the perfect length. Go Fabio!

 

Blogger Aaron Brown said ... (11:06 AM) : 

beautiful fit on both of the men.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:09 AM) : 

I quite like the style but aren't the trousers too short, are they?
I like much more those of the man with the beige coat.
As general comment: you must be really found of Italy!! I am Italian and some comments I read in your blog by you and by your bloggers are really gorgeous!! The details you notice are worthless to me. From these comments, I understand what foreigners intend as Italian style!Figo eh?!
Ciao
Cristina

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:32 AM) : 

I think I can see a jacket hidden under the peacoat. You can see it peeking out over his upper thighs. Of course, the pattern looks great with the trousers, suggesting he'll look just as good when he takes the coat off. The only criticism is that the coat then looks a little tight for such a distinguished chap.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:34 AM) : 

I don't like it. His trousers are too tight and his coat does not completely cover his jacket. However, I do like the other gentelemen's coat. Very nice!

 

Blogger Anne Corrons said ... (11:47 AM) : 

They are totally Italian men; there is no doubt!

 

Blogger diane said ... (12:02 PM) : 

These guys look so tough, I would be in awe if I saw them walking my way.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:08 PM) : 

Sart, this is your best stuff in a while, albeit mine is a purely selfish viewpoint - I am much more interested in classic-type menswear, both formal and casual. Or maybe Italy brings out the best in you or maybe Italy has the best dressed men and so many more good photo opportunities. don't know, but please take lots more of this!

 

Blogger lenmeister said ... (12:10 PM) : 

Hey uh, not sure here but isn't the sport jacket on Borelli showing underneath the peacoat a big "no no"? I believe certain rules shouldn't be broken when it comes to fashion, some things need to just be set in stone, like sleeve lenght for instance, I just think some standards should not be overlooked so that ther's coherence, just like stanza's in a poem..it must correlate (but this is part of another discussion) srry for my little digression here. Anyway, am sure borreli is quite a man of style but whoever's with him (in camel coat) did a great job too, great color combination: camel,choc brown and blue (2 diff blue too, tie and shirt..does anyone see this?) ooouh I also love his stance in this, hand in coat pocket, other hand holding a cigar, completes the overall look! Then again, can't really tell but I think there's more going on there..seems the tie is dotted? wondering bout the shirt too. ..both men here look quite snazzy indeed, another fine shot sart!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:15 PM) : 

Gentleman on the left - nice casual touch to the tie not. Almost like the "double -tie" touch that has been featured on this blog before (can't recall the exact pic). His trousers are also cut just right.

Fabio - sport coat peeking out is a great flash of pattern and complimentary texture. Brown suede shoes top it off as the great casual tone to the drape and fabric of trousers and overcoat.

Both with their best fashion foot forward and lock-step in style!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:27 PM) : 

Nice to see what Borelli looks like,
very cool!
It's so cold here in Boston, I went out and bought a very soft
Borelli cashmere cap.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:33 PM) : 

European men are just as chic as the women. I wish that would catch on here in the states.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:35 PM) : 

I like the style of the gent walking with Fabio. It's an unusually light color for an overcoat, but I think it works. Button hole in the lapel of the coat, button holes on the sleeves of the coat, and it looks like the buttons may be genuine horn. Very nice.

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (12:36 PM) : 

I have to agree with him because the most beautiful pictures are the non-posed ones!

I like this shot as well. Only because of the hand. Like Napoleon.

Good work!

 

Blogger LEAH said ... (12:39 PM) : 

kinda dig the faux fur hoodie jacket on the dude in the back kickin' the 'horsehoe' stache

 

Blogger The Khaki Crusader said ... (12:41 PM) : 

I like so many things in this photo it's hard to start naming. I'd work myself into a frenzy I think.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:52 PM) : 

I like the ageless in these two especially the lift up collars.
Their coats are well fit too.

 

Blogger Dominica said ... (12:53 PM) : 

Demure people are so charming !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:11 PM) : 

i just wish more older men would dress like them...*sigh*

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:22 PM) : 

He walks with his hand in his jacket, I sometimes do that. Funny coincidence!

 

Blogger green lantern said ... (1:39 PM) : 

You captured what makes his design work. Only he would make a pea coat to such exacting measure under which he could still wear a dazzling sportcoat. I love the way he takes a heavy fabric and makes it look "light and smooth." His pants are gourgeous. He looks so warm but so "un-winterized." I can't tell if that is a scarf or turtleneck but he looks GREAT!!

 

Blogger ABOUT said ... (2:03 PM) : 

fabio and his aquaintaince = A+

 

Blogger Duncan Simpson said ... (2:34 PM) : 

I also put my hand inside my coat when I want to feel
dictatorial and strong, ha ha!

 

Blogger Michael Joseph Owens said ... (2:41 PM) : 

Love these Italians and their form-fitting clothes. Assertively celebrating the body. Very nice.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:52 PM) : 

in this photograph, you capture the essence of the difference between the style of italian men and french men... it's all in the attitude!!! looking at these handsome, confident and stylish men, you know they are italian!! it's also all in the details... subtle but so strong in their effect

 

Blogger Lenoxave said ... (2:54 PM) : 

Unconscious gestures make us all special in some way or the other. He's dressed wonderfully and looks like a man about town.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:53 PM) : 

ha ha! it's Napoleon!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:54 PM) : 

They are both gorgeous without having movie-star pretty faces. Shows how important style can be.
The grey coat looks a little tight, maybe because of the jacket underneath. But overall, both men are very sharp and classy.

 

Blogger Christopher Jovan said ... (4:25 PM) : 

He's killin it with the coat, and keeping it waay too cool with the "modest gentleman" swagger....

Awesome execution of tastse!..

-cj

 

Blogger B. FLY AND THE CITY said ... (4:58 PM) : 

EFFORTLESS STYLE SOUNDS LIKE A BETTER PHRASE, BUT I GET WHAT YOU MEAN.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:00 PM) : 

Is that a Edward Cullen jacket??

 

Blogger LRB said ... (5:08 PM) : 

Cool. And Cool.

 

Blogger Patrick Booth said ... (5:11 PM) : 

It looks like he is going to pull out a gun to "wack" somebody.

 

Blogger NVA said ... (5:38 PM) : 

a moving man....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:06 PM) : 

My mama would tell him to take his hand out of his coat! He will stretch the wool and loosen the buttons! But I suppose if you have a wardrobe full of beautiful coats that doesn't matter so much.

I can't quite work out what's going on around the waist of the grey coat... is there another panel there? something under his left arm? a pocket under his right arm?

 

Blogger Dan in Richmond said ... (7:31 PM) : 

Fabulous! "Unconscious" is better than "effortless", I think- nothing great is effortless. Some of the conflicting comments, and ones like " some standards should not be overlooked" remind me that there are different "standards" depending on where you live. I'd love to dress like Fabio but people on the street here would probably look at me and think "His pants are too short", or something like that. The question is how much to conform to the local standards or just how much to stand out. Friends have already suggested that I'm pushing the envelope for Richmond, Virginia- one even said I would have to move to another city soon. I think that this is an interesting question and I haven't come to any definite conclusion about it. At what point do the locals consider me eccentric (already, probably), and do I care? The discussions here are not usually very interactive, but I'm curious to see if others have comments about "local standards". I certainly think they exist. It seems it's always Italy that brings it to mind, I suppose because their standard is so different from the standard here.

 

Blogger What is Reality Anyway? said ... (8:01 PM) : 

yep--these are not US men! I wish I could see this on my street! x

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:51 PM) : 

Fabio reminds me of Silvio Burlusconi...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:28 PM) : 

i love this picture!! and, it's safe to say, i love fabio

 

Blogger One Man's Style said ... (10:45 PM) : 

Italian Style is definitly my favorite!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:50 PM) : 

Absolutely love Fabio's grey coat. It is quite handsome. And who can deny the charm of a quirk like that.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:33 AM) : 

Why the heck are all the pants too short on this website...

 

Blogger Cris Piera said ... (4:37 AM) : 

Great picture Sarto!

I love both of their looks, specially the shoes, but to me the best of it is the lifestyle and psychology that you've put in the picture...

This trend about men wearing slim waists and huge shoulders... Let's see what it takes us to.

 

Blogger J.A.F. said ... (6:48 AM) : 

Quite an affectation but I really like it...seems so improvised or something. Impeccably dressed of course.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:17 AM) : 

i'm understanding napolean a little better now. is his coat too snug? love the espresso colored shoe with the grey. always a favorite. love the narrow pant.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:42 PM) : 

Fashion mafia...lol. isnt that jacket way too tight?

 

Blogger astublieft said ... (4:58 PM) : 

Napoleon's reincarnation

 

Blogger Miguel said ... (6:38 PM) : 

Pure elegance.

 

Blogger Shaynuh said ... (8:53 PM) : 

Both men look fabulous! Also, I'd liked to get to that point where style becomes an unconscious aesthetic (love that word) for me too! =)

 

Blogger . said ... (10:17 PM) : 

holy shit i've never seen a better fitting peacoat in my life... wow

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:38 PM) : 

pardon my ignorance, I don't know who this guy is.
personally think the fellow on the left is better dressed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:58 AM) : 

That is one beautiful man.

 

Blogger Honeygo Beasley said ... (12:44 PM) : 

Man, those pants are fab!

 

Blogger Milo Beloved said ... (4:12 PM) : 

I think that the man on the right is me when I grow up.

I hope so anyways.

 

Blogger Ron said ... (6:12 PM) : 

Letting the jacket hang out under the bottom of the outer coat is a no no in my book, but the best part of this photo is the color of the other gentleman's coat. That is very much a yes, please. Such a together look. I wish I could do that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:16 PM) : 

very chic.

 

Blogger Tiger Fodder said ... (2:01 PM) : 

Best part of the outfit is the pants. I love the pant leg cut. It is very very sharp.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:34 PM) : 

To Dan in Richmond: The comments section of The Sartorialist blog is not easy to interact on because
a) There is a delay between posting & being published
b) You cannot reply to a specific post

My response to your comment is easy, though:
Do what you want and don't be afraid of others finding you eccentric! If you think it looks good on you, then wear it. Only ask for the opinions of people whose taste you trust, and ignore the rest!

 

Blogger Eff Dee Aytche said ... (4:48 AM) : 

i agree with Tiger Fodder...the pant leg cut sets the outfit off

 

Blogger Mohammad said ... (4:41 PM) : 

I like the coat!

 

Blogger Marianna said ... (4:35 AM) : 

i have been coming back again and again just to admire this photo... i absolutely love everything about it. goodness gracious, why is it that italian men have this impeccable innate style- at this point, we are not talking about just tangible elements, but the intangible ones- something that runs in their blood. thank you SO MUCH for capturing this photo!! everything is amazing about it!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:54 PM) : 

I like the way the narrower pant leg fits the thighs. Sexy. Young men look so foolish in baggy oversized pants.

 

Blogger Bojan said ... (2:47 PM) : 

Great jacket, I looks so stylish, wonderful!!!

 

Blogger arie said ... (2:01 AM) : 

I too am swooning over the slim cut of both mens' pants. I am torn on how I feel about Fabio's blazer peeking out from underneath his coat. Gorgeous shoes! I like the hand in the coat and think it funny he does it because he is shy; as most likely, this actually brings MORE attention to him! I think he likes the attention. Who doesn't?

 

Blogger ginjin3 said ... (9:53 PM) : 

those are some great fitting pants. the one on the guy on the right, in gray.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:03 AM) : 

The guy on the left is Enrico Formicola, ex-Kiton, responsible for starting and developing Borrelli's Tie Collections. Both incredibly nice guys and effortless in their dress. True professionals.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting