This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street......Fifth Ave., New York

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

On the Street......Fifth Ave., New York


Comments on "On the Street......Fifth Ave., New York"

 

Blogger bluehydrangea said ... (10:02 AM) : 

Just found your blog..love it! and I love this outfit..preppy chic!

 

Blogger magicmaia said ... (10:04 AM) : 

Ufff!! Love the Yell jacket and the Chucks... nicely put together.

 

Blogger Kathy said ... (10:04 AM) : 

Love this photo! It just goes to show that those "rules" about women not being able to wear a horizontal striped shirt are hogwash. What a beautiful look, especially with the pops of color in the sweater and scarf. Love it.

 

Anonymous Leia said ... (10:05 AM) : 

Great combo of mustard yellow and stripes!

 

Blogger Oh Dear Charlotte said ... (10:11 AM) : 

COLOUR!!!!! I love the mustard jacket mixed with pale blue scarf, great contrast.

http://ohdearcharlotte.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:13 AM) : 

Française!

 

Blogger The Concrete Commentator said ... (10:15 AM) : 

Spring is here! I'm lovin it. I like the pop of colour.

 

Blogger Connie said ... (10:18 AM) : 

Love the butter leather jacket and blue scarf. A great contrast with the stripes.

theheartbreakinc.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (10:19 AM) : 

I love this outfit because it contains several one-of-a-kind items like the belt and the chinos with the drawstrings. The ombre leather handbag (Prada?) looks like a bold choice, but no doubt she can pull it off, just like she wears the yellow jacket as if it is nothing. Great pick! Do we know who she is or what she does? Jorge from WPB

 

Blogger Erik Hoff said ... (10:19 AM) : 

LIght jackets are great! They keep you covered on chilly days, give a place to stuff a wallet, ipod, and whatever else all while still looking slim and stylish.

 

Blogger Cheryl Houston said ... (10:33 AM) : 

Love the outfit. Hate the shoes. I would definetly change those to a cute sandal. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:36 AM) : 

I saw a pair of pants like these at the thrift store and was trying to decide if they were too young for me (mid-30s). I'm going today to see if they're still there.

 

Blogger indigo warrior said ... (10:54 AM) : 

If I saw her on the street, I would think she looks so French! I love Chuck's and have worn them since high school. They never go out of style (nor do the classic Vans slip on's - no photos of those?).

Is she shopping in town? Going to the beach? Is it sailing season?

And it's not that women can't wear horizontal stripes, it's that not every woman *should*. This woman definitely can and it's appropriate that she does.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:58 AM) : 

Italian Lady on a NYC Easter break.

It is quite evident.

V

 

Blogger Oni said ... (10:58 AM) : 

I love the jacket but the shoes have to go...

 

Anonymous violetville said ... (11:01 AM) : 

ugh, love the stripes...hate the pants!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:05 AM) : 

To Anonymous above:It is not what you wear but how you wear it. I'm 50-something and will NOW go look for something like those pants!

 

Blogger Jen O said ... (11:08 AM) : 

A great look with "shorter" upper body proportions--it's all about the natural waistline with belt, 3/4 sleeves and short jacket length. Even her scarf sits high--no length at all in her upper torso, very cool.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:13 AM) : 

COLOR! I love bright colors and yes Spring is sprung. I wish Chicago folks applied for color to the concrete jungle.

 

Blogger thimbles and gingham said ... (11:15 AM) : 

she looks so american!

 

Blogger Saffron said ... (11:15 AM) : 

Ooooh love the chinos! Where can I find some?

Thanks Sart for bringing me into Spring fever with this delicious photo.

 

Blogger Anthea said ... (11:22 AM) : 

Spring is here! Not too keen on the pants but her looks is great. The colors in the photo are so vibrant. Love how it's crystal clear in the foreground and fuzzy in the background. Beautiful!

 

Blogger JULES said ... (11:22 AM) : 

I love he colors, and the striped tee it goes flawlessly together

http://www.styleanthem.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:23 AM) : 

I would bet a million dollars that this woman works at Polo, which is around the corner. Love the pants!

 

Blogger hc said ... (11:27 AM) : 

who needs the hamptons, when you can bring her to midtown? i like the effort and idea, but the end product looks a bit too touristy (ie kicks, look brand new, and beaten to death aviators).

 

Blogger La Victorienne said ... (11:31 AM) : 

Nice and clean outfit! I'm less impressed by the way the trousers (or pants ;-)) are tied up. It ruins the cleaness of the general line, plus it makes legs look short (always a bad thing).

 

Blogger MONI said ... (11:32 AM) : 

such a cute outfit!
http://www.moneasywardrobe.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:34 AM) : 

Elle a l'air d'une super mega francaise but tough, impossibly tough, as well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:34 AM) : 

cool

 

Anonymous kellyoxford said ... (11:39 AM) : 

I think she looks like a nice crisp apple.
Gap-ish, but more expensive.
I'm guessing she smells like MJ's - Daisy.... or body wash.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:45 AM) : 

I think the whole look is brilliant down to the shoes. I'm so over the idea that you have to wear cute sandals, platforms or heals all the time. Her Chucks look new and clean and go perfectly with the casual drawstring pants. Tres chic et tres Francaise.

 

Blogger Heather said ... (11:45 AM) : 

Love the Jack Purcels, gerat color.

 

Blogger RUinSTYLE said ... (11:47 AM) : 

it's such a fresh and light outfit. the color combinations are lovely. Pale blue and mustard always work hand in hand.
The outfit looks superbly finished with that awesome brown belt.

www.RUinSTYLE.com

 

Blogger gabrielazeanadal@hotmail.com said ... (11:47 AM) : 

The look is too busy for me, I'm in love with her scarf!!!

 

Anonymous Linda said ... (11:49 AM) : 

The rise on these pants is way too long!

 

Blogger The Voguette said ... (11:52 AM) : 

I love the yellow and the stripes!
What a great way to start off spring!

xox.
The Voguette

 

Blogger James Jean said ... (11:59 AM) : 

I love the whole look and normally I see the wrong shaped women wearing horizontal stripes so it's refreshing seeing it done well here. Her mixing of colors are making me look forward to the next 5 months or so

 

Blogger Miguel said ... (12:01 PM) : 

Absolubtly urban... Love it!

 

Blogger Johanna Urban said ... (12:11 PM) : 

I love this outfit!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:17 PM) : 

the hits of this spring!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:23 PM) : 

Love the pop of color against the black/white stripe. Well done

 

Blogger Love + Cake said ... (12:53 PM) : 

I really like the ruched look right now. Yeah, the whole oufit, it really just works. I love the little orange... (is it a watch?) piece on her wrist there. Love the pink nails, the stripes, the scarf. Yea, it just works. <3

xx. mavi

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:05 PM) : 

it reminds me for the style. Cool and trendy. Love the mixes, all is super!!!

 

Blogger xoxorcs said ... (1:09 PM) : 

The French wear Converse but I don't think the Italians do. Thoughts? I love Converse myself and spent a week in Rome last month. I didn't see anyone wearing Converse and I didn't dare wear mine.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:16 PM) : 

I never knew having yellow and stripes together can be so awesome!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:19 PM) : 

I think she saw your 04.08 post-
Love these NY spr shots, though!
Love the Sart!
J

 

Anonymous Helena said ... (1:25 PM) : 

Just lovely!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:30 PM) : 

The striped shirt has already been added to my spring wardrobe, courtesy of my mum who predicts it is the latest trend of the spring season!

I have never owned a pair of Chucks or Vans and I wonder how people feel about them as compared with, say ballerina flats?

The Chucks do give this look a hip, preppy-look that I like.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:33 PM) : 

hate hate hate the pants. would have chosen something trouser cut, or a slim jean.

love everything else.

 

Blogger cindy said ... (1:53 PM) : 

love the optimistic semi-nautical scheme! reminds me of a really fun vacation.

 

Anonymous princess glee said ... (2:05 PM) : 

The colorful and graphic top half of her is great, especially the shrunken yellow jacket and the orange watch. Pants got really detailed and complicated in the early 90s. We need more time before we re-visit that; although the neutral color is great with the neutral Cons and bag (ombre, dip-dyed? Cool). The cop aviators are mildly so menacing, so it gives her a playing tough look. A bit too masculine for me but it gives me ideas.

 

Anonymous isabelle said ... (2:10 PM) : 

cool! :)

 

Blogger D. said ... (2:12 PM) : 

Scott,

Two things I like in this outfit.

1. the colour scheme; the yellow jacket and the orange watch. good accent colours.

2. I just love a drop crotch on a women's trouser/ jean.

Djordy

 

Blogger Molly said ... (2:16 PM) : 

so fresh, i love it!

 

Blogger Bookworm said ... (2:18 PM) : 

I love the bright colors and all of the fun details! Casual, preppy, cute, and summery!

 

Blogger Ruhvana and Flanelli said ... (2:23 PM) : 

those colours in the first photo look SO FRESH! love them.

 

Blogger Strath said ... (2:32 PM) : 

The female Michael Kors (aside from his own mom of course!) Very classic and I like the belt to mix it up.

 

Blogger Style Noir said ... (2:47 PM) : 

The top-half of this is exquisite.

But I, too, could do without those pants.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:48 PM) : 

Coolest outfit in a while - great urban take on yacht wear.

 

Blogger Jen said ... (2:48 PM) : 

I've been wanting something yellow for months! This jacket is just what I had in mind - great proportions and a great color. Brava!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:59 PM) : 

She looks great! I love the orange watch and all the other small but colorful details. Spring is finally here!

 

Blogger Christina said ... (3:04 PM) : 

I am in love with this outfit except for the pants. I am not sure what I would wear instead though. I also love the aviators.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:19 PM) : 

Love the color play.
Dislike the proportions. Very unladylike, but I admire her for wearing her creation confidently. I suppose that overrides everything else.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:40 PM) : 

very fresh combination!

 

Blogger CHIC S said ... (4:15 PM) : 

Your photos are so inspiring! Love the combination of colors.

xo S

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:30 PM) : 

She looks like a typical mom at my daughter's school here in the south of France. The striped sailor shirt is a classic. And the French love little details like the ruching and bow on the pants. I realized I stuck out here because my clothes were all streamlined NYC stuff, whereas women's clothes here have little details, from unusual buttons to little tucks or pleats. Always something to keep it from being generic.
Last thing that makes me peg her as a francaise: she has good posture.

 

Blogger Devi said ... (4:33 PM) : 

Love the leather jacket.
Scott, I'm new to your blog. Read about you (and Garance Doré) about a month ago in the Guardian and have been inspired by the fashion your blog ever since. It's better than any magazine out there because it's real people.

 

Blogger Jessie Birnberg said ... (4:33 PM) : 

She does not look American--French or maybe Italian...Great combo of color. Love the watch the best.

 

Blogger  said ... (4:35 PM) : 

Oh cool colors, very sunny and love the back of her pant !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:21 PM) : 

I love the wacht. I have seen but now I don´t remind

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:21 PM) : 

I love it! Especially that orange watch! Beautiful!

ryanmulkey.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Lillian said ... (5:36 PM) : 

I wore those pants in ninth grade and got made fun of for them. I do not see the appeal any longer.

 

Blogger Richard said ... (5:39 PM) : 

Divine!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:40 PM) : 

Wonderful. Best outfit in a while in my opinion. Casual, yet still retaining the essence of chic.

 

Blogger cowboydan said ... (6:15 PM) : 

Nice outfit, but i can't stand the detail on the trousers.

 

Blogger Scarlett Fiona Reed said ... (6:29 PM) : 

Love it all, especially the pants, don't care what anyone says. The crotch looks a bit low but she's pulling it off.

 

Blogger Brigadeiro said ... (7:06 PM) : 

I'm such a fan of stripes, and teamed with that gorgeous yellow...perfection!

 

Anonymous Parisbreakfasts said ... (7:32 PM) : 

What a fabulous look to pull together! She's even got the Michelle O. cardigan layered on...

 

Anonymous Bruna Carolina said ... (7:42 PM) : 

So "summer looking". graceous.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:42 PM) : 

I love the jacket, love it. And the scarf compliments it so well. Though I think the pants are not great, their length is necessary because it goes so well with the aviators, the bag and the chucks (my least favourite item of clothing, ever!!). All in all, she looks pretty awesome.

Energie

 

Blogger Joy Mars said ... (9:13 PM) : 

Thanks for showing an unmistakably comfortable -- and chic -- woman in the canyons of NYC.

Love the little yellow jacket.

 

Blogger lenmeister said ... (9:15 PM) : 

There are sooo many things I love about this woman's outfit!..the Avi's just completes the whole thing, they look like the Ray-ban aviators, never out of style..she's just like spring personified!

 

Anonymous beatrice said ... (9:17 PM) : 

pants=no.

end of story. those are never ok.

and the jacket isn't the right length...or maybe its the rise of the pants. i think her attitude is what makes the picture nice, not the outfit.

c'mon.

 

Blogger Jason Aleksander said ... (9:41 PM) : 

Love the Converse mixed with the khaki. girlfriend looking real good

 

Blogger Hannah Stephenson said ... (10:06 PM) : 

She's very Heidi Klum-ish. I like the cottony textures here...everything is slightly rumpled and loose. I like that for spring.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:51 PM) : 

Boy if this look wasn't already tired 3 or 4 years ago. 41st and 7th ave, nyc, every woman on the street.

Shouldn't spring be about new beginnings?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:00 PM) : 

adore it all especially the watch with orange band. only skeptical about the chinos... would also guess elle est francaise pas italienne as italians are bigger fans of their supergas.

 

Blogger Harsh Sethia said ... (11:03 PM) : 

Loving the Watch!!
And I have those exact same aviators!!!
Hot!

 

Blogger Nick Leonard said ... (11:10 PM) : 

I like the yellow!

 

Blogger Jasper12.01u said ... (12:35 AM) : 

the top and the jacket reminded me somewhat of serena in gossip girl when she returned from boarding school :)

all in all she looks great!

 

Blogger Shadan said ... (1:26 AM) : 

i like the baby blue with the yellow!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:58 AM) : 

Ummm... I think you can buy that shirt at Ann Taylor. Lol. Love the look though!

 

Anonymous Josi said ... (2:03 AM) : 

I had a pair of those pants maybe 6 years ago - cost next to nothing from H&M.

 

Blogger Diana said ... (2:22 AM) : 

I like it very much. Mostly, because it gives you a basic idea of colors and textiles.
And than, you can put something similar together accourding your wallet and bodyshape.

 

Anonymous hrhkat said ... (2:30 AM) : 

Her outfit is very Michael Kors, with a little Venice chic thrown in for good fun.

 

Anonymous FVAD said ... (2:49 AM) : 

I believe: If each one of us, Had that Daring sense of color, the world would have been a much happier place !!

I <3

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:05 AM) : 

Love everything to bits except the pants and the belt ...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:36 AM) : 

if not for the quality of the photo- would not have found this outfit particularly outstanding...but I do love the mustard jacket though

J

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:29 AM) : 

This is totally too ordinary for my taste. As I come from helsinki, Finland, Iam used to see women dressed like this every spring, every summer and every fall.
I don't like it all, but that's just because everyone in south helsinki dresses like this!

 

Anonymous muddy said ... (8:57 AM) : 

she looks like a tod's campaign realized. the converse is a pleasant surprise but very spring/summer necessary.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:59 AM) : 

great american look. love the pants detail at the bottom w/ the chucks, the striped shirt (nod to the french). the scarf makes it look finished.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:58 AM) : 

This is the post that finally made me buy a striped top. The other posts and stylings of striped tops I've seen have been a bit too traditional or cliche; but this one opened my imagination to what I can do with it.

 

Anonymous Rochelle said ... (10:29 AM) : 

Really do not like those trousers... they look so mid-90s, it's too soon to revisit that time.

 

Blogger The Clever Pup said ... (10:40 AM) : 

A great look. For the first time ever I'm going to put this look together right now and walk the dog.

 

Blogger Daisy said ... (1:29 PM) : 

I really like this style of boyish cuteness. she does it without looking overly masculine.

I think it's in the details, her nail polish, scarf, and bag really give it a softness and charm.

great pic, I'm taking notes for myself.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:08 PM) : 

The Ralph Lauren hippie look. So-so.

 

Anonymous bronte said ... (4:04 PM) : 

she looks like any swedish girl on the streets of stockholm. the stripes, the aviators, the chucks, the pants...summer 08 all over again...down to the watch and the nails

 

Anonymous LindaB said ... (4:42 PM) : 

A city-fied Hamptons look? Whatever it is, I bet she walked around town very comfortably!

 

Blogger Cassie Jo - Tofuscloset said ... (6:42 PM) : 

this is amazing..i like it a lot

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:18 PM) : 

The fit of the pants is... eh...

Still love the outfit overall. Inspired use of color and detail. I want that scarf!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:41 AM) : 

Love the watch! Is it an Orange Revolution from TRIWA by TRITONI watch. Have a look at www.tritoni.com for more colourful watches.

 

Blogger Summer is a Verb said ... (9:06 AM) : 

How DID she tie that scarf??? Prep perfection...

 

Blogger Amra said ... (11:45 AM) : 

What a lovely spring ensemble.

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (10:47 PM) : 

Her leather jacket looks so swedish. :)

 

Blogger D.K said ... (12:57 AM) : 

she looks SO comfrotable and fashionable at the same time. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:35 AM) : 

In the words of Michael Kors "That crotch is insane!" :D

 

Blogger Lily said ... (2:44 PM) : 

this outfit and this website is SO refreshing. makes me happy:)

http://stylelikeu.com -- another refreshing website!!

 

Anonymous Merike said ... (8:03 AM) : 

This looks very Scandinavian to me. Sea-breezy and early summery. I love the feel of the outfit. Or the feeling it gives me.
This kind of style would be my favourite. I have to get rid of the dark colours in my own wardrobe though.

Plus, the pinkish colour of the nail polish and the orange of the wrist watch go together oh so well.

 

Blogger I BLOG NY said ... (8:58 AM) : 

love the mustard with the b&w top!!

 

Blogger kanin said ... (12:38 PM) : 

That is my beautiful daughter and she is wearing Transit pants from my store in Miami.
The Transit Shop
3057542866

 

Blogger Tea Lady said ... (1:11 PM) : 

This lady is very stylish. And very American looking to my Australian eyes:) I love the mix of yellow & blue. Like the sun & the sky. Great combination of colour. She put a lot of effort into her relaxed look.

 

Blogger Malik said ... (8:09 PM) : 

Love the jacket, love the scarf, love the shirt, but those pants and Chucks really cheapen the entire look. Not that I'm against mixing high and low fashion, but those pants look like they are from Old Navy and completely clash with the chicness of the upper part of her outfit. I would suggest a pair of slim cut men's chinos rolled up and tasteful flats or heels.

 

Anonymous Lexi said ... (11:51 PM) : 

Amazing!! i think! C'est tres chic et je l'aime beaucoup!!! Je pense qu'elle est le plus belle in this blog!!! I really love this pic!! Makes me excited for summer!!

 

Anonymous Jim Caruso said ... (11:01 AM) : 

This made my morning!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:20 AM) : 

I have those chucks. I love them. They are my very favorite shoes.

 

Anonymous Caroline said ... (12:23 AM) : 

This is pretty normal for New York I'd say...but still cute, of course.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:25 PM) : 

OMG ! pink nails , mostard jacket , orange watch ? perfect combination !
LOVE IT !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:26 AM) : 

love it!!!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:46 PM) : 

Chic and swell.
Does anyone know what's her watch?
A Chanel?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:57 AM) : 

I think those pants are kinda tacky-mom.

 

Anonymous Buy Online Leather Clothes said ... (1:50 PM) : 

Hey this is cool post..I just love this type of clothes..
Thanks for sharing..

Mens Leather Bombers Jackets, Womens Leather Blazers Online, Leather Skirts

 

Anonymous Leather Skirts for Women said ... (12:20 PM) : 

If I saw her on the street, I would think she looks so French! I love Chuck's and have worn them since high school. They never go out of style (nor do the classic Vans slip on's - no photos of those?).

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting