This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street......Fifth Ave., NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, April 10, 2009

On the Street......Fifth Ave., NYC

Comments on "On the Street......Fifth Ave., NYC"

 

Blogger Nette said ... (12:25 PM) : 

Look how clean the sidewalk is!
I have been browsing this blog for a while but am more interested in what is behind the subjects than the subjects themselves.

 

Blogger The Clever Pup said ... (12:30 PM) : 

Top firmly planted in January.
Bottom firmly planted in May.

 

Blogger miss sophie said ... (12:32 PM) : 

i remember seeing the vest over suit/blazer thing two years ago on your blog...this is very utilitarian chic in my book, and doesn't need to be limited to guys. i wonder when the look started?

 

Blogger diane said ... (12:32 PM) : 

I'll provide the dialog:
Hi, I'm not from around here, and I was wondering if you could give me directions to my socks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:34 PM) : 

divine shoes!

 

Blogger Scot Meacham Wood said ... (12:34 PM) : 

excellent. love the layers, and love the bare ankles hinting at the spring season on the way.

 

Blogger Christy said ... (12:52 PM) : 

I love this look -- it's very masculine and would work great on a bike. I think that regular men would actually give this a try, and it is so very sexy!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:54 PM) : 

Everything together at the same time now.

 

Blogger teresa said ... (1:10 PM) : 

Did you tell him his snaps were askew?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:15 PM) : 

i love his shoes!

 

Blogger birdfeed said ... (1:16 PM) : 

Snazzy. I like it.

 

Anonymous suzanne nelson said ... (1:19 PM) : 

Even before i read The Clever Pup's comment i thought 'head in Nova Scotia, feet in Nassau'. i'd love to know what he was thinking when he got dressed and i love that it clearly wasn't what most other people on Fifth Ave were thinking...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:20 PM) : 

Hot.

 

Blogger Kevin Lanre said ... (1:22 PM) : 

This look is simply amazing, I love it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:31 PM) : 

alla junya watanbe

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:36 PM) : 

I like looks that effectively pull off the "too short" look, but this one goes a little overboard for me. Though I like his use of color (especially the scarf), everything from his pants to his coat up to the outer vest is too much "doesn't fit" look for me.

 

Anonymous Joe Frances said ... (1:44 PM) : 

I am now fairly firm in my aesthetic estimation that the Alden lace-ups suedes and Chukkas are best with jeans and I don't wear jeans. This photo is an affirmation of that position.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:56 PM) : 

i like this look for a very casual day out, possibly museum hopping a lunch a friend's house
the bare ankles get me to imagine the layers coming off... hat, scarf, vest and going into a backpack and there you have a lovely outfit

 

Blogger Metro Profiles LA said ... (3:24 PM) : 

I like the outfit - especially the splotches of color - workshirt blue, yellow and greens of the scarf, buff boots, with the darker earth tones. Personally, I like socks.

 

Blogger Robert Seda said ... (3:37 PM) : 

I agree -- tartanscot

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:48 PM) : 

Love the layering. Practical and stylish!!

The ankles look a bit funny to me, but somehow fit in with the understated individuality of the look!!

 

Anonymous issyme said ... (3:49 PM) : 

I don't mean to pick on this man...it is purely because he is the last one I saw with the trousers rolled up. I am getting a bit tired of the look.

It is no longer original. I much prefer style over trend.
( the rest of his outfit is great )

 

Anonymous Orlando said ... (4:24 PM) : 

Two consecutive photos from the same street at the same time, obviously a good day! Great look!

 

Blogger Thomas said ... (5:17 PM) : 

i love new yorkers!

 

Blogger Ko said ... (6:21 PM) : 

Perfect!

 

Blogger The Concrete Commentator said ... (7:13 PM) : 

yeah, I love the length of the pant, and I like his shoes. Of course the layers are great!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:41 PM) : 

I know you like the mixing and colors and all, but for me, no, no, no.

 

Blogger Joy Mars said ... (9:52 PM) : 

An American attempt at European style. Looks forced.

 

Blogger Acorn Dandelion and Rose said ... (10:43 PM) : 

Bucks! It reminds me of prep school in the late eighties, Dead Poet's Society era. Sigh.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:52 PM) : 

I'd be happier if he'd tuck in his shirt. Untucked shirts under blazers almost always read to me either awkward, studied, too fashiony or all of the above. And, although I think he does it well, I do wonder if his ankles don't get cold, assuming it's cold enough to warrant the vest over blazer thing.

 

Blogger Cassie Jo - Tofuscloset said ... (11:43 PM) : 

beautiful

 

Blogger Harsh Sethia said ... (4:22 AM) : 

I think his pants are amazing! I've been looking for something like those for ages!

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (4:38 AM) : 

nice pose! I want his shoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:12 AM) : 

ohh those shoes are totally great!

 

Anonymous the bunhead said ... (7:35 AM) : 

the rolled up jeans fits him great and goes along very well with this outfit but he needs socks, it's looks poor

 

Blogger Welcome said ... (8:02 AM) : 

Ankle cleavage when you're wearing a down vest, scarf and beanie is like wearing sunglasses indoors.

No.

From the shins up though, top marks!

I also would personally not go for chambray in winter.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:01 AM) : 

As Sarah Jessica Parker once said ''I don't judge others, I say if you feel good with what you're doing, let your freak flag fly''...

 

Blogger RA said ... (12:46 PM) : 

Saw this guy yesterday when I was sent the J. Crew catalog in the mail. Nice look but a bit too contrived for my taste.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:34 PM) : 

I like sockless men

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:28 PM) : 

Agreed. I like this look aside from the missing socks. Dress shoes/oxfords with no socks always look naked to me. I'm a fan of the rolled up pants. It's sort of biker-chic. I think most guys are capable of pulling of a masculine capri.

 

Blogger Peter Breese said ... (10:44 PM) : 

The gal looks fantastic, but I must admit the gent makes me a tad nervous.

 

Blogger bookman4 said ... (11:19 PM) : 

i really enjoy all of the individual elements of what he is wearing...somehow they don't all come together very well from where i am sitting. he looks rather pear-shaped, unfortunately.

 

Blogger Oni said ... (12:38 AM) : 

A button down, blazer and jacket...hmmm...I think if the pants were longer the outfit would look better.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:54 AM) : 

the look is so great, love the powerful mix, the trendy shoes and the mood.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:19 AM) : 

Showing his ankles while wearing a scarf makes it just plain interesting.

Love it!

 

Anonymous Juliette said ... (2:44 PM) : 

Can I have your number ?

 

Blogger CHARLie'S said ... (3:05 PM) : 

He ! it's Derek !
He's a belgian student, living in NY.

 

Blogger LazyKing said ... (6:57 PM) : 

I like this style particulary the shoes

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:38 AM) : 

He's studying at Parsons!! I have class with him!

 

Blogger Hadley Makes said ... (2:18 PM) : 

Those shoes were all the rage when I was in prep school in the early nineties. He rocks them. I don't ever want to wear them again...

 

Anonymous Geoffrey said ... (2:22 PM) : 

I know Derek! That's an Engineered Garments Blazer & Vest

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:34 PM) : 

I guess it's still cold in NY huh? Can't be caught dead wearing what he's wearing in LA haha

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:11 PM) : 

The shoes. They're what do it.

 

Anonymous Lauren said ... (9:51 PM) : 

Love the contrast the shoes give. They make the look interesting.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:10 AM) : 

i reckon his ankles would be freezing!
although, admittedly, looks great

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:20 AM) : 

looks like something from an engineered garments lookbook (not a bad thing)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:25 AM) : 

I am sorry....but this guy needs some socks. He should get a pair of marled wool cottons THEN call it a complete outfit. He looks like he forgot something.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:20 PM) : 

ralph lauren in coolest

 

Anonymous Jonas said ... (6:01 AM) : 

Info on the shoes please!
Been lookin for a pair of those for ages!

 

Blogger Mr Brown said ... (6:54 PM) : 

spring weather is a hard one to call.

a great example. with a gap in his wardrobe (closet).

for all those keen to throw off their socks - check a light merino, they're just what you need.

pantherella are a good source.

 

Blogger Un Monito said ... (8:08 PM) : 

I saw this and thought, sh*t, I haven't been to NYC in weeks. Ha! This look is great, love the short vest transposed onto his funky town sportcoat. Shoes w/ short dark hemmed jean is what is anchoring it - nice job.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:54 AM) : 

he looks so much like a friend of mine!!haven't seen him in a long time, but i'm pretty sure it isn't him as he doesn't dress like this..and besides he lives in Amsterdam..but funny nonetheless..

 

Anonymous Citizen Wayne said ... (10:54 AM) : 

Burrr cold ankles. Bare ankles should be reserved for weather than doesn't require a wool jacket and a down
vest!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:09 PM) : 

Derek!!! K-Far!!!
Weee looooovveeee you!!!!
Cast away from Belgium!

The derek-fan club!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:17 PM) : 

His lack of socks makes the outfit

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:34 AM) : 

top of the list!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:19 AM) : 

This fellow wandered straight out of the Pacific Northwest! Or at least the top 90% of him did. (The shoes wandered out of J. Crew?)

If you love this look Olympia, Washington is the place for you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:51 PM) : 

he looks confused and conflicted

 

Anonymous dude said ... (8:49 PM) : 

where i can buy this shoes?

 

Blogger Juanita Hickerson said ... (10:00 AM) : 

Your piece about your father resonated in many ways and was a very sweet simple tribute. My daughter is visiting her travel love in Melbourne, and they are traveling to Sydney as part of their walkabout, so I told them to be nice when you photograph them on the street...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:16 PM) : 

I love those shoes -- such a great color!!! Anyone know where I can get them?? And I love the raw/rinsed denim with them...

 

Blogger MANICPROJECT said ... (4:16 PM) : 

4 layers up top, no socks, sorry, as hip as you are, this just makes no sense to me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:08 PM) : 

I believe the shoes are rachel comey..terribly close to alden

 

Blogger Kasper Jacek said ... (4:52 PM) : 

I really need some information on the shoes, I've been looking for a pair of shoes like that for 2 years. Please some information. Kasper.

 

Blogger Mark Harris said ... (3:44 PM) : 

C'mon, it's cold enough for that many layers but your ankles are exposed. At what point do you stop looking stylish and more like an idiot?

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting