This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street...... Rolled Shorts, NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

On the Street...... Rolled Shorts, NYC


This weekend I was shooting a story for Style Piccoli using my kids and a few of their friends as models. I shot Isabel as if she was just learning photography, and shot what she would see around a flea market in NYC. The shots came out great, and I will post more when the issue comes out in June-ish.

However, while we were shooting we ran into this young man with rolled shorts.

Rolled shorts - it brings up a question. What is "fashion" versus what is "style?"

Rolled shorts could easily become a trend or fashion, but unless everyone is doing it (I guess in this case) it would be considered personal style.

Whichever it is, I think it looks great but I'm just not a rolled shorts guy. It is not in my personal style catalog - however if rolled shorts became fashionable I would probably consider them more carefully.

As I write this I am realizing that great personal style is made up of a certain percentage of "always" items and methods, mixed with a certain percentage of "sometimes" fashions, and a certain percentage of "nevers".

ummm, deep thoughts.

Comments on "On the Street...... Rolled Shorts, NYC"

 

Blogger Lucy said ... (10:11 AM) : 

I agree =)
(She is too cute!)

 

Blogger Snarky said ... (10:14 AM) : 

I love it. He looks so comfortable in his own skin.

 

Blogger Oh Dear Charlotte said ... (10:15 AM) : 

I love it when you write a bit about why you picked a person and your philosophys on style and fashion! Gives us a real insight, sart. I hope you enjoyed your stay in australia but guessing by the pictures I would say you did!

 

Blogger justbecausefashion said ... (10:22 AM) : 

wow!! i just dont know what to say...
XXX
G&L

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:25 AM) : 

Oh yeah... Some "nevers". I will never be seen in flip-flops or wearing anything turquoise blue. My daughter wonders why : it's a religion which I am scrupulously adhering to...

 

Blogger Stefan said ... (10:26 AM) : 

It's a constant question Fashion vs. Style.

I think the intelligent and aesthetic among us coast towards style in the long run. One can't be a devote' of fashion always, it wears.

Everyone has personal taste and the constantly rotating carousel of fashion will just add to each person's palette/closet.

An article that may be of interest: http://acontinuouslean.com/2009/05/11/the-interview-the-rake/

 

Anonymous Julia said ... (10:28 AM) : 

"...personal style is made up of a certain percentage of "always" items and methods, mixed with a certain percentage of "sometimes" fashions, and a certain percentage of "nevers"" - genious, I shall quote you forever

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:29 AM) : 

It looked cool and effortless until I realized he's carrying an LV bag...

 

Blogger Ms. Jenn said ... (10:31 AM) : 

I love that second shot. I actually just did a guest post on Style v. Fashion last Friday. I think your photos are such a great example of personal style and owning it. While most of the subjects you shoot are indeed fashionable, I think they dress with their own style in mind before anything else. Not everyone can get away with what you see in your photos, but your subjects OWN their style and that is by far the absolute most important thing.


"STYLE is an expression of individualism mixed with charisma..
fashion is something that comes after style."

- john fairchild

 

Anonymous Dr. s. from Zurich said ... (10:35 AM) : 

There's nothing like New York style! He looks so fab with that bag. love his chest!! Hair and boots and paint splattered pants are classic NY street look, but adding the bag and the squinting semi smile does it for me.
Nice to see you back in NY, by the way.

 

Blogger Diana said ... (10:42 AM) : 

:-))) The next generation of Sartorialist(a) is growing very very quickly. I love her professional pose. Like daddy.
She is very lucky to learn all the tricks from you (and you are lucky that she is interested).

Anyway, your equation for personal style is right, perhaps you should weight the result with some flair, perhaps...

Rolled shorts=thin leg.
It means, even, if it comes to fashion this year, i have to stay unfashionable...again :-)))

 

Anonymous Catherine said ... (10:43 AM) : 

The nerverending question of the balance between the "always" and the "sometimes" ... Well considered ...

 

Blogger LivingGolden said ... (10:47 AM) : 

OMG. Love the paint-splattered shorts with the worn boots and the LV bag. Not from a style perspective, but from a "I don't give a fuck what you think about how I look." perspective.

 

Blogger ana said ... (10:48 AM) : 

He looks so comfortable and happy
I like his hair

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:49 AM) : 

Well put, Sart. I think I will be referencing that last quote in the future.

 

Anonymous Isobel Saoirse Dylan said ... (10:51 AM) : 

I haven't commented on a long time now because I haven't found any photos that really captured my attention here, but this is a catch photo! He looks so amazingly laid back and not aware over the fact that he looks stylish even though he's mildly shabby, and the LV purse makes it! The manly outfit mixed with the female touch...truly lovable!

 

Blogger mybeautyaffair said ... (10:57 AM) : 

oh my god..
the 2nd photo, I tot the person in grey was a female. Turned out a male.
Tricky photos. I start to love your every photos that amazed me alot. :))

 

Blogger Mark P-H said ... (10:59 AM) : 

The red wing boots and the LV bag = always.

The tank and shorts are staples to a certain degree, but I would call them "maybe" b/c of their condition and casualness.

But altogether the outfit makes up a never because of the quirky mix.

That being said, the dude looks confident, and he's got the body to wear the outfit, so more power to him. I wouldn't wear it, but I would definitely think to myself "way to go man" if I saw him on the street.

Also, the dreads are fantastically natty.

 

Anonymous Cassiopeia said ... (10:59 AM) : 

I think he looks nice:)

 

Blogger RubyMel said ... (11:04 AM) : 

I found your comment very interesting. If rolled shorts aren't in your personal style catalog, why would you consider them if everyone began to wear them that way? So where do you draw the line between fashion victim and sort of being sartorially (sp) enlightened?

 

Blogger James Jean said ... (11:12 AM) : 

"Great personal style is made up of a certain percentage of "always" items and methods, mixed with a certain percentage of "sometimes" fashions, and a certain percentage of "nevers"".....A great quote I live and shall too take it and run with it.

Izzy (I've given her a new nickname!) definitely looks comfortable shooting. If she happens to want to start her own photog blog, I hope you'd let us know asap.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:14 AM) : 

Here is a quote that I think sums it up, words to live by:

“Style? A certain lightness. A sense of shame excluding certain actions or reactions. A certain proposition of elegance. The suspicion that, despite everything, a melody can be looked for and sometimes found. Style is tenuous, however. It comes from within. You can’t go out and acquire it. Style and fashion may share a dream, but they are created differently. STYLE IS AN INVISIBLE PROMISE. This is why it requires and encourages a talent for endurance and an ease with time. Style is very close to music.”-John Berger.

 

Blogger Celia said ... (11:16 AM) : 

I'd love to read an essay on your thoughts on fashion and personal style.

 

Blogger Sartorial Vancouver said ... (11:17 AM) : 

Hi Scott,

You might not be a fan of rolled shorts, but I have seen pictures of you in rolled shirt sleeves, and I must say you looked great :)

 

Blogger norawoah said ... (11:22 AM) : 

I knew that was NYC before I saw the title. Can't wait for some home grown summer digs!

 

Blogger Karen said ... (11:25 AM) : 

His boots are my favorite part of this outfit. I really enjoyed your insight into personal style versus fashion and have to say that I agree with your philosophy.

 

Blogger Montreal Street Views said ... (11:25 AM) : 

I love the picture of Isabel!
:--)

 

Blogger indigo warrior said ... (11:44 AM) : 

To me, fashion is something I look at like art. It's so far up there, it doesn't seem particularly attainable by mere mortals. Trends are the common vernacular of fashion. But Style. Style is the ability to communicate. Many people can be trendy. Some can afford fashion. Few have Style.

 

Blogger Honeygo Beasley said ... (11:45 AM) : 

Roll your shorts if you want.
Roll your shorts if you must.
I will roll with the times
and make fashion mine
whether I wear shorts
or skorts.
Rip, roll, turn up, turn down.
Alter your clothes to suit your mood.
No one has to tell you what you should.

 

Anonymous Rousspétée said ... (11:47 AM) : 

lol at your little text today! The "certain percentage of" is totally what makes one's style. Wish I find my own some day.
I like the look of this guy but simply think it would'nt look that good on white legs (white like end of winter white = clean sheets white, you see ...).

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:50 AM) : 

Go to the Rugby by Ralph Lauren store, you'll see rolled shorts done in a very stylish way.

I forgot to tell you I met you girl while in Paris and absolutely fell in love with her. I thought she was simply great, natural, fun, warm...no wonder why her pictures are full of colour
http://elvestidorconde.blogspot.com/
2009/04/garance-dore-et-moi.html

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:03 PM) : 

If he was carrying a noticeably fake LV bag, would you have photographed him? Would your bloggers respond as enthusiastically? To me this is trying too hard to look like you're not trying too hard. yawn.

 

Blogger Alison Rowe said ... (12:11 PM) : 

I like that he did the rolled shorts and the tank with solid leather ankle boots and a Vuitton bag...the quality elements keep it from looking accidental.

And I love the mini-Sartorialist! Great idea :)

 

Anonymous suzanne nelson said ... (12:12 PM) : 

I love this photo because the guy looks as if he's totally doing his own thing and he's very happy doing it. I think true personal style isn't influenced by prevailing trends or the latest fashions. sometimes your style lexicon co-incides with a current trend and/or something that epitomizes your style happens to appear on the catwalk or in a magazine or a store so you buy and wear it. Sometimes you refine or adapt your style because you've been inspired by a magazine picture, a photograph, a blog etc. As i get older i am less influenced by trends and feel less compelled to look like i fell off the cover of French Vogue. Maybe i'm mentally exhausted by the ever-increasing tempo of change in the fashion industry and the associated requirement to be in the newest things, (celebs being photographed in Fall/Winter 09 collections and it's only May!?)or it maybe it's because i'm less concerned about what other people think ?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:14 PM) : 

Fantastic comment RUBYMEL.

He looks stylish not just because he rolled the shorts but how he rolled them, plus the bag.

But I get the feeling that this is someone that is so beautiful and confident in his skin that he will look great in anything because he will carry himself with grace and confidence.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:17 PM) : 

so cute!

style is personality
trend is fabrication, replication of personality.
style is the smell of jasmine blowing through the air.
trend is everyone clammoring to bottle it.

 

Blogger Lauren said ... (12:21 PM) : 

I'm not a squealer... but I (mentally, thank god) squealed at the second photo. Love.
I think the difference between Fashion and Style is that fashion is what is served to you, and style is what you make of it.

www.magpiemania.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Jessica Schroeder said ... (12:28 PM) : 

Hey Scott,

I recently did an "Always and Nevers" (http://whatiwore.tumblr.com/post/104545083/always-and-nevers) post on my site and would really be interested on your answers! Definitely do a post about that!

xoxo,
Jessica
(http://whatiwore.tumblr)

 

Blogger Paul said ... (12:30 PM) : 

I'm glad this gentleman made it onto your blog...because frankly, it's hard to want to wear much more than this outfit here in Tucson during the summer! Great inspo...

 

Blogger BlumeBloom said ... (12:32 PM) : 

All I can say is 'Oh My!'

I love it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:37 PM) : 

ive actually seen this man before and everytime i cross paths with him i feel inspired

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:44 PM) : 

This guy looks awful..

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:45 PM) : 

I more often wear my shorts cuffed (rolled) than not. I think of it in a very similar way as rolling long shirt sleeves and jeans.

style vs. fashion:

In most cases, fashion inspires style.

 

Anonymous Brian said ... (12:53 PM) : 

Not feeling this. The boots look awkard with his whole get-up. Also, personal style will always trump fashion or trends.

 

Blogger Fannah said ... (12:53 PM) : 

I love the idea.. but I'd keep it a personal style because not everyone can do it, it wouldn't just 'suit' anyone and I think it's even more fun because it's unique and all..

 

Blogger Ashley said ... (12:55 PM) : 

The Sartorialist Jr.! I love it. Great photo.

http://www.fashionroadkill-halifax.blogspot.com

 

Blogger junglesiren said ... (12:56 PM) : 

While I do find "fashion" interesting I rarely care about it when it comes to stocking my closet. Style on the other hand is the true expression of who we are.

If our style is simply what's in fashion then we are sheep...

 

Anonymous RED said ... (1:04 PM) : 

rolled shorts ARE very trendy right now actually.. stores sell them already rolled up for you!! at least as far as women's shorts go.

 

Blogger meg manion silliker said ... (1:10 PM) : 

style = comfortable in you.
it shows. can't wait to see your darling little girl!! no she has some serious style!!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:10 PM) : 

Here in Sweden, everybody roll their shorts. It doesn't symbolize personal style, but a general trendy look.

 

Blogger miss milki said ... (1:15 PM) : 

I love that second photo - its a great idea for a kids shoot. And shes so cute the way she's standing!

Fashion vs. Style its the eternal question really - I'm not a huge follower of fashion but I don't think I've found my own personal style yet either.

 

Blogger VirginiaWestfield said ... (1:40 PM) : 

i think you can put a guy with nice legs in just about anything, and it will work.

i kind of have a dream that men would have to get a permit to wear shorts. and that there would be restrictions on where they could wear shorts. like not in certain (most) restaurants... etc. unless they had special permission.

but this guy, he could wear any shorts and they'd work.

love the boots, too.

 

Blogger s/y Mimi said ... (1:53 PM) : 

what a great shoot!

 

Anonymous Dennis said ... (2:02 PM) : 

My gosh, you're quite the f*cking intellectual today.

 

Anonymous The Treasurer said ... (2:12 PM) : 

I'm doing only short shorts or longer but rolled shorts this summer - all the gents should follow suit.

 

Blogger haute said ... (2:33 PM) : 

beautiful. the watch and bag perfectly juxtapose the mason's look. very kip's bay west.

 

Blogger kittenmasks said ... (2:39 PM) : 

I love the fact that she's using a Leica. (Is it a Leica or doth mine eyes deceive?)

 

Blogger Ana said ... (2:52 PM) : 

I like the definition you made up about personal style... I agree & at the end I think it is what we all aim to find... not only on clothes but life in general, some basics, some trends of the time and some crazy stuff that makes us original and diferent.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:04 PM) : 

My heart belongs to this man! I really love his outfit, the perfect combination of "hard working man", with the safety-pin, shorts and shoes, and "high-class woman", with the sofisticated bag. He looks so confident.

Your "deep thoughts" are always interesting, makes the blog more personal and even better.

 

Blogger bipo said ... (3:17 PM) : 

I totally agree with rubymel

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:18 PM) : 

Cool! A Canonet ql17, that's a really good camera to learn shooting!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:19 PM) : 

inspired to set up my own belfast based fashion blog, find it at http://paperdollbelfastfashion.blogspot.com/

thank you!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:30 PM) : 

The rolled shorts thing really depends on the legs and generally I don't like it on guys but they are far better than the baggy shorts to the knees (is that ending....hopefully...please...).

Also, I think that body type is the determining factor for the "Always, Sometimes, and Never" choices and that is really knowing your style.

Following fashion too closely will eclipse style and will create a fashion victim.

 

Blogger The Truth said ... (3:44 PM) : 

Hey guys this blog is great, but you should check out my blog yonkerstruth.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Soren Lorensen said ... (3:49 PM) : 

well i think everyone's personal style has been inspired by a whole range of things, some inside you and some outside you,

and if something that isn't your personal style comes into fashion and then you reconsider it then that is just updating your personal style.

I mean, it's not like people get inspired, draw on those inspirations to figure out a personal style, and then suddenly stop getting inspired.

People evolve with their world, and that's why personal style evolves with the world and therefore with fashion.

I mean isn't there a philosophical saying that no man can ever step into the same pair of trousers twice? Something like that anyway.

 

Blogger j said ... (3:50 PM) : 

I reject the label 'rolled shorts' for his rolled shorts.
Their not just rolled shorts, their slightly rolled in the centre, and more rolled to the sides, this creates a distinct look that works.
Also the fact that their very baggy, camo green and paint splattered ads a masculinity to them that might have been lost with the roll.

It's the combo and not the rolled details that make it work.

It's also the dude.

 

Anonymous princess glee said ... (3:58 PM) : 

Is that a safety pin on his front left shoulder strap? Nice touch, I'll be using that in a more girlish, finished or in multiples kind of way.

 

Anonymous princess glee said ... (4:05 PM) : 

Young Morgan Freeman?

 

Anonymous Noah said ... (4:16 PM) : 

The rolled up shorts have found their way to the streets of Copenhagen too. You see them all over.

 

Blogger Rob (SF) said ... (4:21 PM) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Blogger Alice said ... (4:35 PM) : 

I adore the second photo! What great perspective.
And I had never thought of the idea of always vs. sometimes vs. nevers - such a simple concept but quite spot on. Thanks!
Alice
www.flatbrokeandfabulous.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:02 PM) : 

Just want to let you know how much I enjoy this blog. I've been a jeans-and-t-shirt gal for most of my life, but now that I'm 45 and have (finally) grown up, I've been very interested in dressing as well as I can, but with my own style. This blog has been immeasurably helpful. Thank you so much for your efforts.

 

Anonymous Karen said ... (5:28 PM) : 

You say it so well... I feel lost without one item of black on ... it is my fashion comforter. These "elements" remain with you through life in a way and I wonder if they are born during our childhood. These are the shapes and colours we somehow identify with in a sentimental way in adult life.

 

Blogger amalie said ... (5:30 PM) : 

yeah. i know what you mean. i agree though, some things can be really awesome even though i don't wear it. its not my style.
but i like his outfit. rolled up shorts are cool.

 

Blogger editor said ... (5:35 PM) : 

this brings to mind the question. Do you simply shoot people as they are or do you do some styling? I too wondered about the bag. did you add that? or was he really carrying it? love your photos.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:36 PM) : 

is that a leica m6?

 

Blogger Brigadeiro said ... (5:52 PM) : 

Ah, that shot with Isabel is just gorgeous!!! And that guys boots, with the bag & hair! Amazing! Don't know how the deconstructed tank & rolled shorts work on him, but they do :)
xx

 

Anonymous Colleen said ... (6:05 PM) : 

I agree with your ideas on great personal style. The "always" plus that something special give us our unique flavor.
Speaking of personal style, how about an update on your bespoke suit??

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:05 PM) : 

Rolled shorts ARE a mather of fact fashionable in Sweden.

Just Americans that are behind?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:47 PM) : 

Is that a Yashica Electro 35 rangefinder she has?
Awesome shot.

 

Blogger Bookworm said ... (7:03 PM) : 

Love the Louis Vuitton bag. It just makes that outfit so much more interesting.


And I love the second picture. That's such an interesting perspective!

 

Blogger Devon said ... (7:07 PM) : 

agree. love the picture. x

 

Anonymous BRent Starks said ... (7:37 PM) : 

Great photo.

Wouldnt wear my shorts rolled (...again) (dating myself I know)

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (8:11 PM) : 

fpr Joan 5:35 pm

i shoot people as they are, i never add things.

actually i didn't really notice the bag and i could care less about it - for me it was about the shorts, the boots and the hair.

if you replaced the bag with any other bag I think the image is still very inspiring

honestly, when i was shooting this I was more worried about my daughter looking and feeling relaxed in the photo then about what he was wearing. The Dad instinct is very strong in me.

 

Blogger Frangisguardo said ... (8:15 PM) : 

WOWWW GENIUS....you are a genius... compliment i love your photos and your world :)

 

Blogger C A said ... (9:30 PM) : 

LOL! The best look of all !


MAISON CHAPLIN
http://MaisonChaplin.blogspot.com

 

Blogger just.a.train said ... (9:54 PM) : 

Paint splattered rolled up shorts. I think it takes a lot of courage to pull that off. But I think his worn boots ad a nice touch to the otherwise very casual outfit. And he's carrying a LV bag. Nice.

 

Blogger Arlenesfelt said ... (11:03 PM) : 

Thanks for giving a bit of information on your subject. I really like when you do that. Of course when you don't, I cast the subject in my own fantasy scenario. But what I like the best of this post is Isabel's, photo stance. Beautiful.

 

Blogger cociolph said ... (11:25 PM) : 

What is Isabel shooting with, an old rangefinder? Whatever it is, you don't see many kids her age with film cameras in hand, unless they're drugstore reusables. Way to stand out, Isabel!

 

Blogger styleburst said ... (12:58 AM) : 

wow!! i love your photos.

And she is really cute. :)

I love how comfortable and cool he looked in his outfit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:13 AM) : 

Hi! Besides the gent I like the lady in the background of the first photo, so merrily dressed in a rasberry shirt and blue tights!

 

Blogger Rebecca On said ... (1:52 AM) : 

i think style and fashion are like nature and poetry.

"Nature is a haunted house, poetry is a house that tries to be haunted." - emily dickinson

style is almost like an effortless statement of being.
i think fashion is more of a reflection of the milieu of your being.

just my thoughts. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:08 AM) : 

Wonderful. As I use to say, You shouldn't like it ALL, that would mean that you have no personal taste or sense of style. Though the worst of fashion "crimes" may be the too late following of every single big hit, no? Genre, Now I get used to seeing it everywhere for the last year (or two) I feel comfortable wearing this complete look (And complete looks also... BORING...)

 

Blogger SparkleQueen said ... (3:41 AM) : 

I love the colors in the background...it is very well incorporated in this photo :)

E

 

Blogger raguandroses said ... (3:45 AM) : 

I love this look!Very easy and comfy. It would also work out beautifully on a girl.Maybe with colorful wedges.Not very into the Lv bag. Think it kind of spoils the whole Basquiat-"Che" vibe of the outfit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:46 AM) : 

"and a certain percentage of "nevers"; well, mine (man) definate no's are tank tops and loafers.

 

Blogger Mark Dela Cruz said ... (5:31 AM) : 

wow love your photos, you are amazing and this dude you captured is also amazing.

AMAZING.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:51 AM) : 

your daughter is soooooo cute! and by the way, i am envious of that man's legs!!!!

 

Blogger Caroline Bingley said ... (6:01 AM) : 

Your daughter outshines the the rolled shorts (which are odd in an unflattering kind of way). There are fashion trends one does not need to partake in.

 

Anonymous Custom t-shirts said ... (6:05 AM) : 

Nice getup..

 

Blogger Thais said ... (6:22 AM) : 

She is tooooo cute! i love the second one! ur photos are always stunning xoxo http://fashionforafashionista.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Gwen said ... (7:22 AM) : 

He does look very comfortable but a little too casual for the street. Isabel is a darling.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:00 AM) : 

i'm all about a rolled short. if it became a true trend, though, i think it would lose it's greatness. it really is for the person with that particular kind of style. see how his is loosely rolled? as a trend, you would have mall moms rolling them tightly or too short, etc. he's fantastic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:03 AM) : 

Hey Sart! With all your travels you've been missing out on all the Spring lovelies blooming in NY.
Welcome back, keep those shots coming I need inspiration for my Summer wardrobe...
Much love,
A xxx

 

Blogger ... said ... (8:38 AM) : 

its style! and its great to have you personal style and not follow fashion very closely!

i will wait for the photos of the kids!! cant wait actually!






-best current model
-unusual shoes of 09
on
http://siqlogic.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:39 AM) : 

That's the way to wear LW bags. With rags. Bravo.
p.s. Maybe it helps that he has a body of a dancer and warm face.
Nice contrast in "who is photographing who..."

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:40 AM) : 

lunatic and aristocratic.

 

Blogger Sean said ... (9:41 AM) : 

I see a lot of menfolk on these pages wearing boots like these.

Anyone know where I can get my hands on a pair?

I'm in the UK and I very rarely see them over here.

Thx,
Sean

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:04 AM) : 

Scott, I'm from Brasil, São Paulo, and, as you know, the weather here is quite diferent from what you have in NY, Winter is cold only during the morning and the evening. Afternoons use to be warm. The temperature is always around 20°C or 25°C. So, I'd appreciate very much if you could post some shots showing possible looks to inspire the male wardrobe, like on this photo. The weather in NY in this time of year seems very much with SP's. Would it be possible?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:30 AM) : 

Wow... all I can say... I wish there were more people in my immediate surroundings that think like you! In a small town at the moment...I am a laughing stalk. Hope to see you in Paris in June.

 

Anonymous ksh said ... (1:17 PM) : 

great personal style is made up of a certain percentage of "always" items and methods, mixed with a certain percentage of "sometimes" fashions, and a certain percentage of "nevers". -->> i like this!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:52 PM) : 

this is exactly what i love about new york style - the rough/grungy/lived in/well-used combined with those refining touches (the belt/the bag) that take it to a whole 'nother place, sort of deeply authentic and considered at the same time.

 

Blogger Blicious said ... (6:42 PM) : 

LOVE this!

 

Anonymous miles said ... (12:38 AM) : 

hi scott,
reading this, as i have a few of your notes in the past, it seems that if people follow a trend, you would consider taking it on youself...isn't that the definition of a fashion victim? i dont mean t be rude, but i always took you for a man of style, not fashion...want to respond?

 

Blogger Haydensophie said ... (1:11 AM) : 

Antologic pic. I enjoy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:32 AM) : 

why do redwing boots look so good in pictures but wind up so clunky in real life? if these are not redwings, then what are they?!

 

Blogger Michael Joseph Owens said ... (10:36 AM) : 

Love this dude from head to toe.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:44 AM) : 

Rastagayrian.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:53 PM) : 

Great statement, makes perfect sense!

 

Blogger Mekjm said ... (1:58 AM) : 

ha deep thoughts indeed. how true. great captures

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:06 AM) : 

fashion is more aspirational. style is more personal. fashion is what looks good, style is what looks good on me.
i love the hair. inspiration for my next fashion shoot :) let's see.

 

Blogger OwenW said ... (12:27 PM) : 

It's the rangefinder camera that catches my eye. Not clear if it's the Canonet or Yashica, but sure would love to know! It IS the right sort of camera for your daughter to learn photography.

Wonderful!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:42 PM) : 

ha, i saw this guy on the street yesterday and thought he looked cool too!

 

Anonymous Simoun said ... (5:22 AM) : 

i totally have to agree with the "chemistry" of personal style. is so apt.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:19 PM) : 

What a great shot.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:42 PM) : 

your daughter is adorable!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:43 AM) : 

I love how you capture the essence of people and the beauty in someone that might not be mainstream. Just the fact that you defined, fashion vs style says a lot. I never really thought about the difference between the two words and now I completely see that through your photos you have brought out and represented the difference between the two. There is such a uniqueness to this photo and I love it!

Iris

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:47 AM) : 

I love this guy! it looks he was painting his apartment and then decided he would pick up his louis vuitton brief case and swing by a fashion show. So non-chalant i love it!

 

Anonymous desertwind said ... (4:49 AM) : 

Well, today (100 degrees in the shade) I've been wearing rolled shorts -- My husband's castoffs rolled down from the top to keep them from falling down! I don't know if it's fashion but it certainly is style. Of sorts.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

 

Anonymous Hrhkat said ... (6:01 AM) : 

To have style, and to be in fashion or being trendy are completely different things. Fashion and trends are created out of personal style. Someone with great personal style is timeless...Jackie Kennedy was timeless with her personal style, everything she wore back then can easily be worn now and be stylish. This man has personal style, he is the type that creates trends and doesnt care if you dont like them. I strive to be timeless in everything I wear. I dont wear something off so others will think im unique, Im unique for being timeless and not following trends.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:30 PM) : 

I usually love the pictures of men on this blog, but this one... This guy looks gorgeous from head to toe, but there's one thing that I always fail to get: what is it with casual men and LV bags???!!!!!!!! I mean, I think that this I-don't-care-what-you-think-of my-style approach is totally ruined by this bag. This looks more hypocrite compared to any polished (and sometimes too fashionable) dandy's look (that took him three hours to achieve in the morning).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:00 PM) : 

cool and freaky simply amazing photos!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:41 AM) : 

I love his legs!

 

Blogger Gabi Davies said ... (8:33 PM) : 

i loved the contrast between his LV and his simple outlook. it is also quite interesting the way he made his rasta dreads. one day i'll end up doing one !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:23 PM) : 

Anyone know where to purchase copies of Style Piccoli? (online?) Looks like an amazing mag & I'd love to have one in hand! Cheers.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:46 AM) : 

I especially love your daughter taking her shot,
She is just so adorable!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:42 PM) : 

Fashion can be purchased...style can't.

 

Blogger Joy Mars said ... (4:13 PM) : 

What grabs me about this get-up is what the contrast of avocado green does to what appears to be a gray tank top.

The gray goes lavender. Sort of.

Great color theory combo. I'll remember it.

 

Blogger Maud said ... (5:24 AM) : 

Beautiful Dreadlocks!!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:37 AM) : 

New York stylin baby! If you like this check out my blog at artistconnected.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:26 PM) : 

To me, style is what YOU think looks good, and what YOU like. Trends have good ideas here and there, but they come and go. Style is original, and ergo it is classique. Madamoiselle Chanel is known to have once said something similar.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:27 PM) : 

what kind of camera is that? leica?

 

Anonymous Shay said ... (12:12 PM) : 

I love the last paragraph!!! So true. I may have to use this as an aspiring designer. I promise to always credit you whenever I use it. :) Such wise words, thank you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:19 PM) : 

He is adorable. Really something. I can't help smiling looking at this guy. Thank you!

 

Anonymous jbernard said ... (6:43 PM) : 

Could it be that, todays trend is to pair the rolled lower article of clothing (pants, shorts, what-have-you) with a clean and preppy look, making the roll look intentional. This guy however, does it with a careless, jaunty demeanor. It is these contrast in expression that create his personal style, at least for me, that what registered, the aged boots, the textures used to evoke an industrious lifestyle, the breeziness of the tank top, the dreads all make a personal statement that can not be duplicated on another with the same impact. Hence, personal style. Thats my process anyway.

 

Blogger Edmont Dantes said ... (6:21 AM) : 

She is very cute in the shot! And it looks as if she is posing for your camera!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:19 PM) : 

Quicksilver have always seem to make really cool women's shorts. I have been shopping there for years.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting