This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street......Waiter at Caffe Florian, Venice

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Saturday, July 11, 2009

On the Street......Waiter at Caffe Florian, Venice


It seems every time I return from Italy I want to watch "The Talented Mr. Ripley" to see if my Italy was as beautiful as the Italy in that movie.

In one of the final scenes of the movie Marge has coffee with Dickie's Dad at Caffe Florian on San Marco Square in Venice. That spot is still so beautiful (if you can block out the tourists). This young waiter was standing at the cafe and instantly I thought of the movie and how this "type" of young man has probably been working the Cafe Florian for the last 100 years.

Comments on "On the Street......Waiter at Caffe Florian, Venice"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:07 AM) : 

too true! I love this.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:08 AM) : 

I love it when you write more in your posts, it is great to hear what you are thinking. I like the style of this waiter.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:11 AM) : 

Talent Mr. Ripley is one of my favorite movies, but this waiters coat is drowning him

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:13 AM) : 

Timeless. Absolutely beautiful

 

Blogger WHAT KAT DID NEXT said ... (9:14 AM) : 

This is so true. Venice is my favourite place in the world. I really want to watch that film as well now.

 

Blogger Soren Lorensen said ... (9:15 AM) : 

SO

well

groomed

 

Blogger DJT.D said ... (9:15 AM) : 

Shiny

 

Anonymous Dot said ... (9:21 AM) : 

That's so funny, I feel the same way about that perfect film, and for the same reasons! I've got great Italian friends, love going there, and when I miss Italy, I rent the Talented Mr. Ripley. It's like an homage to Anthony Minghella's heritage, altho he grew up in England. He was perhaps the greatest filmmaker of his time, and died tragically too soon.

Did you notice, someone named David commented on a recent post that the Man With the Purple Suede Loafers was Dickie Greenleaf. Coincidence? I think not!

 

Blogger 50two said ... (9:33 AM) : 

i love how even uniforms are so stylish.

 

Blogger L said ... (9:46 AM) : 

Ah, this picture made me feel like I was back in Italy... It's so nice when you write more under your pictures, you are so talented.

 

Blogger Miiicha said ... (9:49 AM) : 

aaaw how cozy!

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (9:51 AM) : 

Great white hype.

 

Anonymous MewTwo said ... (9:51 AM) : 

che foto!
one simple reason why florian's is eurotrash:

tradition.


because being served your morning caffe' in antiquated style is distinctly, so eurotrash.

W.E.

 

Anonymous Leia said ... (10:14 AM) : 

He's gorgeous!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:35 AM) : 

Something irresistible about a man with great eyebrows.

 

Blogger noelakadjtambour said ... (10:37 AM) : 

that is a cool uniform and he wears it very well. white bowtie is a wow

 

Blogger James Jean said ... (10:40 AM) : 

I'd tip this guy extra just for the look alone.....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:51 AM) : 

This is what I miss about European dining. They actually give a crap. Everyone from the Maitre d' to the waitstaff care about the details.

Even their uniforms are well thought out and awe inspiring.

Passport Foodie

 

Blogger Alexa said ... (10:54 AM) : 

Love this photo and your way with words.

Italians have impecable style. What other country in the world has police uniforms designed by Armani?

 

Blogger muranogirl said ... (11:02 AM) : 

Agreed! Please Sart, your observations are gems, share them with us more often!
I sat in the Alitalia lounge in LA with Matt Damon waiting for our flight to Rome. He told us he was on his way to work on a film with Minghella. I got goosebumps.

 

Blogger Bobby Humphrey said ... (1:37 PM) : 

cool white... the jacket looks a bit large, but still.. great style...

 

Blogger DENNI said ... (2:36 PM) : 

gorgeous. love it!


Chicmuse
http://thechicmuse.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Rae said ... (2:37 PM) : 

I completely agree! I love that movie! I've never been to Italy but I always dream of living like they did there. The scenery and the clothing in the movie were stunning! whowhatwear did a special thing on that movie's style as well. http://www.thstyleccentric.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:41 PM) : 

It's alright, but I'm getting over the whole black and white suite thing.

 

Blogger Karen said ... (2:55 PM) : 

We need some waiters like that in America!

www.reelartsy.com

 

Blogger sdfljslkdj said ... (2:55 PM) : 

This is fine dining, people. The jacket *could* be tailored, but he pulls it off well regardless.

- Vanessa
http://asliceofretailheaven.wordpress.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:00 PM) : 

I wouldn't mind dining at that restaurant ;)
He looks quite stylish! Especially for a uniform!

 

Blogger Lisa Bruckner said ... (3:15 PM) : 

Despite the mildly ill fitting jacket, nearly anything served by this man would taste luxurious. You captured the importance of sartorial details in the dining experience. Your eye and skill in photography is unquestionable. However, your comments help us greater enjoy your images. Please continue to share your written thoughts and experiences with us!

 

Blogger Thais said ... (3:38 PM) : 

mmmm hes gorgeous... :P I love the classic outfits of waiters in italy, so elegant!
xoxo
Ty Ty

 

Anonymous Emma Howard said ... (3:49 PM) : 

The all white shirt,tie and jacket is so fresh.

He must hold the customers' food away from his body very carefully?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:33 PM) : 

please don't forget that minghella didn't get their first, check out the original 1960 plein soleil for the first film adaptation.

 

Anonymous B said ... (4:38 PM) : 

Great jacket and he looks good!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:56 PM) : 

Since I've watched your interview on FTV Brasil, I've been seeing your blog. It is fantastic and creative. I loved it. It is a way to see different styles from around the world. Congratulations.

 

Blogger Karoline said ... (5:25 PM) : 

Beautiful and classy.

 

Blogger Dom said ... (5:33 PM) : 

Not only is this look flawless, the photograph is just lovely. In his expression, you capture the wistful and sort of ageless energy of the place. If I was out people watching, I'd probably make up his life story in my head.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:58 PM) : 

Wow! That's really really sharp!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:13 PM) : 

Yuuummm...scrumptious. I'd love to have HIM for dinner.

 

Blogger Melissa Blake said ... (6:16 PM) : 

Classy beautiful!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:35 PM) : 

So white this look cuts like a knife through butter! His confidence radiates from your masterful picture, Sart! Great shot!

 

Blogger ROB said ... (7:25 PM) : 

I LOVE his eyebrows!

 

Blogger Eva said ... (7:43 PM) : 

I wish I had your job!

 

Blogger Timothy Steiner said ... (8:46 PM) : 

Random Florian fact, locals will go to the Florian on special occasions and when they entertain. They will not go to the Caffe Quadri across the Piazza San Marco because it was where the Austrian troops went two hundred years ago! In Venice, these things endure.

The uniformed hierarchies of waiters are one of the great joys of Italy! Wonderful pic!

Enjoy Venice. It's my favorite place in the entire world.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:07 PM) : 

It would be the most amazing thing if all waiters around the world prided themselves on looking their absolute best. This guy looks astoundingly handsome dressed up, and I have a feeling he feels good too.

 

Blogger Brigadeiro said ... (9:09 PM) : 

Impeccable!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:17 PM) : 

yes...but remember...blocking out the tourists would mean blocking out yourself...;)

 

Blogger Alexandra said ... (10:15 PM) : 

LOVE Venice. One of the most magical places, I think. Great thought.

 

Blogger Maggie May said ... (10:19 PM) : 

i love his eyebrows

 

Blogger Celeste said ... (12:36 AM) : 

Your comments are so interesting, I enjoy reading your thoughts about a photo.

Also, I love this kid's haircut.

 

Blogger John Danner said ... (2:08 AM) : 

If I had to wear a uniform for a job this would be one I wouldn't mind


lebible.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Frannie said ... (3:05 AM) : 

Gorgeous. I'm jealous! I want to be there!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:05 AM) : 

Yoann Gourcuff's TWIN!

I want to go to more restaurants with waiters like that!

 

Blogger Krysta Marie said ... (8:43 AM) : 

how handsome.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:49 PM) : 

yes, but does this coat come in an xx-long?

 

Blogger a reference said ... (12:53 PM) : 

have you ever tried using those mini-video cameras? i think you would enjoy them. it would be awesome to see little videos of these people. especially him! LOL

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:37 PM) : 

Beautiful photo, definitely helped by the fact that he is incredibly handsome, in that classic, old-fashioned, old-hollywood way.

 

Blogger emily said ... (3:52 PM) : 

Lovely. It's always nice to be in a place where details matter. I appreciate your commentary, too. But... aren't you a tourist? It always makes me think there's some insecurity involved when tourists are embarrassed to simply be tourists. Put a bold face on and be proud to have taken the time to be enchanted with places that are not your own, respecting others who do the same.

 

Blogger Sasha said ... (7:17 PM) : 

Good job!

 

Blogger Bayley. said ... (7:46 PM) : 

Beautiful. I always enjoy the picture so much more when you write a story to go with it :)

 

Blogger A. said ... (8:02 PM) : 

Love the play of the colours in the buttons contrasting with his jackets...

Would love to also see the detailing on the shoulders!

Small post on fashion from Talented Mr. Ripley also on my previous posts:
http://sozvezdie-constellations.blogspot.com/

As always, love the photo...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:31 PM) : 

Oooooo I wish all waiters had to dress like this!! Very classy.

batting-lashes.blogspot.com

 

Blogger ohhlalamia said ... (8:52 PM) : 

Beautiful.

Also, have you seen the movie Kiss of the Spider Woman (1985). He reminds me of the exotic waiter that the character of Molina was crushing on.

 

Blogger La Maison Fou said ... (11:32 PM) : 

Black & White...it works!
L

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:33 AM) : 

che bellaaaa

 

Anonymous Beha said ... (5:02 AM) : 

I love those white buttons, such a great detail.

on a side note: The bag that Tom is carrying trough a lot of the movie (the one that "breaks" and revile his jazz LP's) have anyone got an idea where to get one similar? I absolutely love it.

 

Anonymous an albanian said ... (5:42 AM) : 

really sart!The talented Mr.Ripley!
I can't believe you're saying this, I thought you are PLEIN SOLEIL kinda guy!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:43 AM) : 

He is so pretty and you are so awesome for noticing...thanks for sharing beautiful things with us...

 

Anonymous Caroline said ... (8:29 AM) : 

He DOES look like he's in a movie...surprising to find a white jacket looking so classy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:59 AM) : 

BRAVO MAESTRO, cult place, great photo, waiter look like H. Bogart. Ciao.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:55 AM) : 

How gorgeous..? He has a look on his face that says: my uniform might be pristine but I can be very, very naughty.!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:59 AM) : 

And yet he is wearing a traditional outfit and a uniform at that! One of the things I LOVE about the Sartorialist is that it seems free of the dogmatic views regarding personal expression, innovation, novelty, shock value ("challenging!"), and uniqueness that dominate the fashion discussion in our times.

Upholding tradition can be as stylish, interesting, and satisfying as subverting it. Hurrah for the Satorialist!

 

Blogger James Taylor said ... (12:11 PM) : 

The Talented Mr. Ripley is one of the best films made about Italy. Everything detail - the locations, music and of course, fashion - only enhance Italy's undeniable undeniable allure and the darkness which lies just below the surface. Italy itself is really the strongest and most important character in the movie.

On my first trip to Venice with my parents my mother insisted we visit Florian's for a mid-morning cappuccino. Although it was 1988 and I was nine, so I had a glass of milk (which arrived in a silver-handled glass). My Dad took a great photo of two middle-aged Venetian women in floral dresses sitting at another table. If I had it with me I'd send it you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:55 PM) : 

Talented Mr. Ripley was a beautiful mess. See Purple Noon for a real translation of Patricia Highsmith's wonderful work.

 

Anonymous austintable said ... (5:35 PM) : 

Talented Mr. Ripley is an aesthetically gorgeous movie in more ways than one ;)

You've probably already seen these movies as well Sart, but I also love the films that came out of Italian Neorealism - Umberto D, and Bicycle Thieves. Perhaps not as pleasing on an aesthetic level as on an emotional level, but great Italian cinema nonetheless.

 

Anonymous Bombshell Kitten said ... (8:52 PM) : 

Very beautiful, stoic picture.

 

Anonymous Amber said ... (4:18 PM) : 

Anonymous #2 you're very very wrong. This man is undeniably chic.

 

Blogger Hayley said ... (7:33 PM) : 

love his uniform!

 

Anonymous mimi said ... (8:40 AM) : 

ahh, i had my first cafe florian experience a few days ago in venice.. and this guy was my waiter! super cute!

 

Blogger not.quite.ana said ... (5:08 AM) : 

I hope it isn't too inappropriate to say how handsome he looks ;)

http://ailovefasion.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Jules, London said ... (9:12 AM) : 

This reminds me of the more recent picture of the driver dressed for work. The look is professional and immaculate and basically shows attention to detail and pride in work. I like how 'uniforms' can communicate this. It's part of the holiday/trip experience to observe how people in different places go about their everyday lives. It's a beautiful photo of Euro cafe culture from an 'insider's' point of view at its best.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:42 AM) : 

loved one

 

Blogger Kimberellie said ... (4:04 PM) : 

So hot.

Here I am a constant lurker on your site and the one time I feel an absolute compulsion to comment is simply when I think the fellow is that handsome.

Oh, but I love it all. You take amazing photographs. You really have a way of capturing people.

but yeah, so hot.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:42 PM) : 

Very,very nice suit .Combination is awesome.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting