This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

The Sartorialist Via The Selby @ Lanvin Homme

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Sartorialist Via The Selby @ Lanvin Homme


My very plugged in assistant Tracy found this photograph of Lucas Ossendrijver's (Lanvin menswear) design studio on The Selby. Instantly she recognized two of my images on his inspiration board.

I often hear that designers use my images for inspiration, but I never believe it until I see it, so this is pretty cool.

I'm often asked in interviews if my photos have a direct effect on trends. I always say that designers don't really look at my site for direct copying, but instead for a spirit - and the photos that Lucas has chosen are a perfect example of this idea.

Comments on "The Sartorialist Via The Selby @ Lanvin Homme"

 

Blogger Tessies Hearts said ... (5:39 PM) : 

Yes I totally agree, I've used your images on moodboards in the past to convey a 'spirit'.

Lanvin eh? Wow!

nicola xx

 

Blogger Rene Schaller said ... (5:46 PM) : 

it was cool to get into lanvin via the selby... and it's not a big surprise that designer's are using your pictures. they are a big inspiration for many many people!

 

Blogger tanvi said ... (5:46 PM) : 

Art inspiring more art- that's just awesome!

 

Blogger Roman Dennis said ... (5:47 PM) : 

lanvin's winter fall collection is amazing i wanted everything from it
love that designer alway will


www.fashionwhatsnext.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Neezy said ... (5:55 PM) : 

Wow, that is really cool... inspiration can be found almost anywhere.....

heartofayoungdynamic.blogspot.com

 

Blogger SJB said ... (5:59 PM) : 

I respect your humility...

 

Blogger John Danner said ... (6:04 PM) : 

Some of my friends who have gone in to fashion design tell me clothing designers look at your site to see what people are actually wear and how.

Believe it, believe it! You're kind of big deal you are, you are!

 

Blogger Jessica Ferron said ... (6:05 PM) : 

How cool and flattering!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:06 PM) : 

I'm writing a PhD in media theory using the ideas of a wonderful Michel Foucault - and I use your site as inspiration. Beautiful cities, characterful faces, effortless cool and great clothes will always inspire (whatever your task may be).

 

Blogger elm479 said ... (6:18 PM) : 

It must be so exciting to see your work inspiring people whose own work you admire. I love your site and the graciousness with which you share your photos. The spirit of your pics definitely reach me, so thanks for the lift.

 

Blogger Joseph Rudi Pielichaty said ... (6:20 PM) : 

Lovely photos for a lovely mood board more than explaining the lovely things that come out of Lanvin.

Beauts.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:23 PM) : 

Oh! This is amazing! Congrats.

 

Blogger american dream said ... (6:27 PM) : 

the most beautiful thing in the world to be someone's inspiration

 

Blogger Cobalt Violet said ... (6:29 PM) : 

Very cool to part of someone's inspiration ...

 

Blogger East2WestStyle.com said ... (6:36 PM) : 

I have turned to your blog for inspiration in the pass! Please check out my blog at East2WestStyle.blogspot.com
=)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:36 PM) : 

Congrats!

-Walls

 

Blogger Brigadeiro said ... (6:47 PM) : 

Wow, very cool indeed! Love the New Zealand bird in the middle!

 

Anonymous Esmoquin room said ... (6:50 PM) : 

that's great! You are an influence for such many people!!!

Great work, Tracy. ;-)

Best!
Jose

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:54 PM) : 

Love the Kiwi. Sorry, just had to make that comment

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:54 PM) : 

i love the guy with the overcoat i wish i dident have to wait until i am 60 to wear somthing like this.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:56 PM) : 

scott, where is garance? her blog has been abandoned for quite some time!

 

Blogger MalditaSophie said ... (7:05 PM) : 

a mi me encanta!

 

Blogger Theophilus Davenport said ... (7:09 PM) : 

That painting in the middle on the right! Feels so familiar. Can someone clarify it for me?

 

Blogger Monica Aguinaga said ... (7:10 PM) : 

I love inspiration boards!!!

 

Blogger Jen. said ... (7:13 PM) : 

Oh wow, that must be so amazing! :')

 

Anonymous Tatel said ... (7:31 PM) : 

wow really flattering!

congrats!

 

Blogger Pamela said ... (7:37 PM) : 

yayy congrats!
i think ur pics are inspiration x everyone!
xxx

 

Anonymous holly said ... (7:40 PM) : 

I would be surprised if you were just MY best kept secret;) They would be losing out if they didn't look to you for inspiration. Fashion magazines don't inspire me as much since I found your blog...I'm obsessed

 

Blogger Andre Gorr said ... (7:42 PM) : 

in respond to Theophilus Davenport:

the painting of noble person in the middle of the board is the portait of last Imperior of Russia - Nicolas II...
for more info check the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_II_of_Russia

PS - thank you for this blog and nice shots, congrats for great work! Love your vision...

 

Blogger scormeny said ... (7:43 PM) : 

Congrats, and a great example of what keeps us all coming back to your blog -- the occasional image that leaps out of the internet ether and grabs us and changes our ideas about who we want the world to see us as. Thanks!

 

Blogger noelakadjtambour said ... (7:50 PM) : 

props

 

Anonymous dana said ... (8:18 PM) : 

as i read this i can see in the corner of my right eye an entire boardfrom your images of men with bicycles- inspiration for my next season collcetion. not lanvin, but still something....

 

Blogger Alicia said ... (8:40 PM) : 

How exciting!!
So, when are they coming to your house?

 

Blogger chunkichatmasala said ... (9:19 PM) : 

sikhism represent! their turbans tend towards the exaggerated side though..love your work sartorialist!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:19 PM) : 

I love how you nonchalently take credit for other people's style... to be clear: you did NOT dress as those men in your photos did; THEY did. YOU did not inspire Lanvin; the elderly man who dressed so impeccably did.

Humble pie is a most delicious dessert, should you ever feel like indulging.

P.S. Those two photos of yours capture two most sartorially and impressively dressed gentleman.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:20 PM) : 

to Scott: they may be "your" images, but the true source of the inspiration comes from the person who is wearing the clothes (put the outfit together) - you just happened to be in the right place, at the right time with your camera...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:36 PM) : 

Yay I see a Kiwi!!! That's exciting too! He must like New Zealand.

 

Blogger Sarah Bee said ... (9:38 PM) : 

These photos are magical; they take me to another place.

www.lipglossmanetoss.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Sheena Murray said ... (9:48 PM) : 

I think that as you say, the essence of these images is key - and it's also a very cool compliment.

 

Blogger A Sunday Kind Of Love said ... (9:54 PM) : 

I can honestly tell you, I intern for a designer, and when she asked me to pull inspiration shots, I came here (aside from using WGSN like everyone else in the office) and got her some great images. They definitely made it on the inspiration boards we brought to the meetings, and a few made a permanent spot on her inspiration wall!!

 

Blogger hi-d said ... (10:33 PM) : 

Awesome! We can all inspire each other. :)

 

Blogger Rafe New York said ... (11:04 PM) : 

Lucas isn't the only one. I've printed some of your photos to put up on my design boards too because your subjects are inspirational and more importantly, they're real! so thank you for inspiring me!
http://rafeloves.rafe.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:18 PM) : 

spirit indeed :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:35 PM) : 

inspiration boards rule!

 

Blogger nickythekid said ... (11:39 PM) : 

Too cool.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:43 PM) : 

That painting in the middle on the right! Feels so familiar. Can someone clarify it for me?

Nicholas II, the last Emperor of Russia

 

Anonymous ronan the librarian said ... (12:01 AM) : 

Sart, you certainly are an inspiration...that's a given. I am also enjoying the pic of Tsar Nicholas II on that pinboard as well!

 

Blogger The Redhead Riter said ... (12:08 AM) : 

Love the way you have them all positioned.

 

Blogger Kendra Alexandra said ... (12:16 AM) : 

always love this blog :)



http://stoleninspiration.blogspot.com/
http://stoleninspiration.blogspot.com/
http://stoleninspiration.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Emma Howard said ... (12:53 AM) : 

" When I have had such men before my camera my whole soul has endeavored to do its duty towards them in recording faithfully the greatness of the inner as well as the features of the outer man. The photograph thus taken has been almost the embodiment of a prayer. "

Julia Margaret Cameron

 

Blogger DENNI said ... (1:18 AM) : 

YOU DO ARE AN INSPIRATION. LOVE IT.




CHICMUSE
http://thechicmuse.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:31 AM) : 

first thing i noticed was the kiwi! go little old NZ. Also, your pictures are awesome.. definitly a great inspiration to me

 

Blogger elsie said ... (2:14 AM) : 

that could be more fabulous - but I can't imagine how...

 

Blogger Fredde Ahlstrom said ... (3:02 AM) : 

Us too, the readers! We use your images for inspiration! Just so you know. :-)

 

Anonymous dennis said ... (4:24 AM) : 

omg! I just saw that on The Selby .com and then just happened to click over to Sart... crazy coincidence!

 

Anonymous Antonio Barros said ... (4:25 AM) : 

Tredsetter!

 

Blogger jessica said ... (4:29 AM) : 

Im not at all surprised by this, as amazing as it is. I've been consistently observing your site for my entire teen years; your pictures never fail to inspire or captivate me.
I may not be a world renowned designer, but your photos find our way into my heart and so many others, notorious or not.
Thank you thank you thank you, for doing something so simply unique!

 

Blogger Miiicha said ... (4:30 AM) : 

WOW I Love it!

 

Blogger bean said ... (4:47 AM) : 

i know nothing about fashion but check your blog everyday to look at the sublime images you capture...u are truly inspiring to anyone who appreciates beauty.

 

Anonymous johnnyboy said ... (4:50 AM) : 

hmmm, am i the only one that finds this post a litle less than humble? you take nice picures of cool people. the people are the inspiration, not the pictures.

 

Blogger Rosalind said ... (4:59 AM) : 

Wow! Thats a pretty amazing achievment. But your photos are completely perfect for moodboards. I see ones every now and then that would go perfectly with some of the moodboards I've made..
Conratulations!

http://clothescamerasandcoffee.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Disneyrollergirl.net said ... (5:37 AM) : 

How funny, was JUST looking at those pics myself too!

http://disneyrollergirl.blogspot.com/2009/08/lanvin-colour-palette.html

I'm absolutely certain that in ten or twenty years we will see the real legacy of The Sartorialist and how your site has enabled to track trends literally day by day. Simply going through your archives shows this aleady, you can see the shoulder silhouettes getting bigger and bigger in front of your very eyes!

PS - great Sartorialist article in UK Vogue this month

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:54 AM) : 

Urgh, Tsar Nicholas II would look much better if he lost the cigarette!

 

Blogger what! said ... (9:18 AM) : 

Being a sikh girl,I love how there's a picture of Nihang Sikhs on the board. A little over the top and not a conventional practice of the religion today but this has left me feeling a little proud of my people nonetheless.

P.S,Never realised how beautiful and interesting these Nihangs were till now :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:31 AM) : 

I'm so happy for you, that's a great proof of your incredible eye and talent!
Bravo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:38 AM) : 

It helps that one of the photos is of one of the lanvin designers..

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:12 AM) : 

Wow, Tracey has the best job ever!

 

Blogger joshylola said ... (10:39 AM) : 

I love Lanvin, The Selby and your pictures :-D

 

Blogger Paige said ... (11:40 AM) : 

I find it funny that I, in turn, bookmarked this photo as part of my "inspiration" folder.

 

Anonymous williamtfox said ... (12:28 PM) : 

Don't mess with the Sikhs. Tough cookies

Don't mess with the Nihangs, toughest.

 

Anonymous Kate G. said ... (12:39 PM) : 

Not exactly mood boards, but I do clip your shots to dossiers I build when building a character study. You know how to read a face and you're not an age-ist.

Interesting to find that Mr. Ossendrijver and I clipped similar shots.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:39 PM) : 

I love the picture of the Tsar... or perhaps his English kin, I get them confused. Either way, love the pictures and the subject as well.

 

Blogger sook said ... (1:46 PM) : 

I agree! I am inspired by your images because they convey a mood and every picture seems to have their own story. I print them out and make clippings too ((: They're awesome.

Maybe you'll come to Singapore one day..

 

Blogger Soren Lorensen said ... (1:51 PM) : 

so interesting ot see inside the designer's world a little

congratulations to you

 

Anonymous Isobel Saoirse Dylan said ... (6:24 PM) : 

I do love the way that wall is put together, it may just be a couple of fantastic photos just hung on the wall, but all the photos makes you get a hole bunch of ides and thoughts.

Like the way designers use you as an inspiration.

 

Anonymous paul said ... (7:52 PM) : 

ahhhhhhhhhhh the Selby!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:51 AM) : 

That is truly awesome. And yes, you ARE a big deal. So big that you are almost viewed by the mainstream and I do not mean that in a pejorative way at all. I simply mean that your blog is not only viewed only by the uber cool and fashionable who are in the know. Lots of people from all walks of life get inspiration from you (or at least look at your wonderful photos with wonder and disbelief ;)) To me that is just as cool of an accomplishement as being spotted on Lucas' design board. WOW! That IS F*!@ing cool though.

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (9:33 AM) : 

You should be proud of this.
I'm sure your father would be proud of this too; YOU have become an inspiration to big name designers, not only your images.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:31 AM) : 

That is the Tsar, not George V. Both total hotties.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:27 AM) : 

It's unfortunate that others commented on a lack of humility. They totally missed it. Yes, the subjects and how they dressed are the inspiration, but 'Great Design is simply borrowed'. None of us, including Lanvin, would have access to these individuals' ideas without the work you do to bring them to us via your website. Many thanks.

 

Blogger anne said ... (9:07 PM) : 

well this doesn't surprise me at all. you've made me a hero many times. and on dark days when the ideas don't come quickly, i open up my fat file of your photos -- sitting right there on my desktop -- and just stare until i feel like thinking again.

how about this: a crowd-sourced tribute blog. your readers around the world can email shots of our various mood boards, concept boards and fashion spreads. and we'll call it "sartorial influences."

 

Anonymous gabriela said ... (2:29 PM) : 

I'm just writing about trends to my master's thesis, and I definitely will write about that:)






www.futureinfashion.com/pl/ffif_blog.html

 

Anonymous ronan the librarian said ... (12:24 AM) : 

yes its the Tsar, but which portrait? Anyone know? the Serov one or the Repin one from the Duma that was bayonetted in the Revolution?

 

Anonymous jaclyngeist said ... (11:55 AM) : 

T! you have a strong eye for details even if that means identifying your bosses own work. You're an inspiration to all assistants!

 

Blogger andrea said ... (11:20 AM) : 

That's amazing! I don't know how anyone couldn't be inspired by your photos though!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:46 PM) : 

i love the nihang sikhs on the bottom love that blue

 

Anonymous Hazel Coote said ... (11:05 AM) : 

He also has an image of a kiwi on there - holding the whole world in its beak. I like that! (I'm a New Zealander/ Kiwi myself)

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting