This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Brother & Sister, Vintage Photos

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Brother & Sister, Vintage Photos

Attached is a photograph of my grandmother Claire, and her brother Jack. I never met my grandmother, and so know her only through family stories and photographs. It seems to me that she looks gorgeous (and effortlessly glamorous) in every photograph, but this is one of my favorites.

Don't you love the white shoes?!

Best regards,

Janet

Comments on "Brother & Sister, Vintage Photos"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:04 PM) : 

I like these vintage pictures

 

Anonymous Tobi said ... (2:10 PM) : 

Wow such an epic moment captured in still motion! This is such classic picture, one to treasure forever!

http://stylebyqueens.wordpress.com/

 

Blogger ilovefashion said ... (2:18 PM) : 

That jacket looks fabulous! Love this photo :D

http://fashion-in-pictures.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Lisa Petrarca said ... (2:25 PM) : 

Very fashionable duo!

 

Blogger Branka said ... (2:38 PM) : 

This lady is so elegant, i love everything about this photo!

 

Blogger TussahSilk said ... (2:43 PM) : 

I love the way she is wearing the hat.

 

Blogger Isle Dance said ... (2:50 PM) : 

Stunning!

 

Anonymous Daniel said ... (3:06 PM) : 

yes, the shoes are great (from what we can see), this is a kind of shape which is not done anymore - but should be seen more often.

 

Blogger admin said ... (3:08 PM) : 

I love Jack's three piece suit. Not so sure about the white shoes. But I imagine they were very trendy at the time.
Claire looks very stylish too. I love the length of her coat and the dip of her hat.

http://www.vintage-cove.com/fashion.php

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:08 PM) : 

Stylish family. Fantastic.

 

Blogger Sara Kristiina said ... (3:11 PM) : 

Stunning! :)

-Sara
myfeelings-only.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Kar said ... (3:11 PM) : 

for some reason i love old pictures they always tell a story

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:23 PM) : 

I love the fur things around her arms! It makes the picture more interesting, I think. They are an odd touch, which I like!

A photograph to treasure!

 

Anonymous princess glee said ... (3:37 PM) : 

Niiice, look at the tilt on her hat. It peeves me when someone wears a hat straight atop their head. A hat deserves a bit of swagger with just a little (or a lot) of tilt.

 

Blogger Jasmin said ... (4:14 PM) : 

I think it's funny that nowadays we start to dress like these again :)

 

Blogger amy said ... (4:24 PM) : 

Just fabulous. I never met my grandmother, either, but have so many wonderful old photos of her. I love to imagine what she was like, and hear stories about her from my grandpa and father.

 

Anonymous dan said ... (4:39 PM) : 

one of my favourites so far.

 

Blogger Veronika said ... (4:48 PM) : 

perfect!
you are so happy that you have such photos.
fashion is in your blood )

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:57 PM) : 

That´s so classy. Love it.
I wish I could appeal to all people of the world, to get this style back. With hat, gloves, very finished hairdoes and this lifestyle of the 50´s...would be so great to me!!!
Thanks for this little vintagephoto-series!

 

Blogger Ec Brown said ... (5:29 PM) : 

Furry Water Wings!

(snark aside, love it)

 

Anonymous Le Taulier said ... (5:34 PM) : 

already time to look afirm!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:38 PM) : 

White shoes, white gloves, what a fabulous contrast. This is beautifully styled. Lots going on, the fur, brooches, layering, only a touch of pattern. Getting dressed for work now and I am inspired. It is winter here so I can don my favourite coat and gloves...

 

Anonymous Susan said ... (6:50 PM) : 

They look wonderful, timeless. Thank you for showing the vintage shots of real people...it's so refreshing.

 

Blogger Chloe Daley said ... (7:06 PM) : 

So chic. I love the fur and the floppy hat.

 

Blogger Sarah Dee said ... (7:10 PM) : 

I love this photo so much! She is so elegant.

Sarah
theantiquepearl.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Jeannine 520 said ... (7:15 PM) : 

Lovely. I think both of them are equally elegant. Great pic.

 

Blogger Kate Moore said ... (7:24 PM) : 

Look at the tilt of that hat, the well-proportioned layers and drape of collars. An eye for it, she had. They both clearly did.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:28 PM) : 

This is my favorite of the vintage ones. She truly is fashionable and stylish, that hat and those little puffs of fur at the sleeve. Of all the outfits, this is one I'd have liked to own.

 

Blogger Lou. said ... (8:34 PM) : 

yes! these photos are amazing!

 

Blogger Lorraine said ... (10:10 PM) : 

I love their style. I love the vintage photos you post.

 

Blogger Le Petit said ... (11:16 PM) : 

My favorite is the hat, so perfectly floppy and with just the right tilt.

http://lepetitstyle.blogspot.com

 

Blogger supercalifragilisticexpialidocious said ... (11:31 PM) : 

oh my gosh the long coat is just AMAZING .

 

Blogger Seema said ... (11:45 PM) : 

this is truly glamour at its core. gorgeous photo :)

www.fashionat5.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Seema said ... (11:47 PM) : 

this is truly glamour at its core. gorgeous photo :)

www.fashionat5.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Polkadot said ... (1:01 AM) : 

ooo, how effortlessly graceful! who else wants to stroll around a park wearing a hat and a pair of gloves now!?!?!

also, might be my over active imagination, but the way her feet are positioned i'm wondering if she's hesitant about leaning against that log? Nobody likes duck poop on their coat....

 

Anonymous replica handbags said ... (1:20 AM) : 

I really enjoyed this post, especially the “examples in this post” portion which made it really easy for me to SEE what you were talking about without even having to leave the article. Thanks

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (2:46 AM) : 

Beauty and fashion are from all times ! Great picture. I love your blog.

 

Blogger Eilish said ... (3:27 AM) : 

I love her long coat. such a stunning picture :)


http://faialofa.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous DiamondVirgin.com said ... (3:58 AM) : 

Great Pic! I love the white shoes.

Thanks for sharing

www.diamondvirgin.com

 

Blogger Will said ... (4:52 AM) : 

I love your grandmothers coat, looks like a lightweight double cloth to me,(no lining required).

 

Anonymous Mariette said ... (5:37 AM) : 

Am I the only one who thinks she looks excactly like Andie MacDowell? A much better styled one though...



www.tetje2.hyves.nl

 

Anonymous proletarian Great Gatsby said ... (6:47 AM) : 

A star is born...of class and style.

 

Blogger La pépite modeuse said ... (8:00 AM) : 

Beautiful ! I enjoy your blog !

 

Anonymous Jess V said ... (8:05 AM) : 

So effortlessly elegant.

 

Blogger Miss Molly said ... (8:48 AM) : 

i love vintage photo's - this is really a beaut!
xoxo

 

Blogger inclassy said ... (9:29 AM) : 

she is SO elegant and beautiful!!!
love this picture!

 

Blogger Esther Pérez said ... (10:21 AM) : 

nice picture, darling!
http://dailylololipop.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger NiNuTSA said ... (1:43 PM) : 

i wish i were able to scan my granparets photoalbums and send them to you. this vintage photo styles are great. cute coat. :*;]

http://nkhvedelidze.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Claire said ... (2:40 PM) : 

That is too funny: I'm Claire and my brother's Jack!

 

Anonymous Celine said ... (2:44 PM) : 

How completely awesome that you posted a photo of a brother and sister called Jack and Claire on the day of the Lost series finale!! Two of the main characters who later find out they're siblings are called that way. Ahem, reading into it too much.
Anyway, I really like her ultra long coat and the polkadot she has underneath. I also like they both have hats, more people should wear hats nowadays. They look cool!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:44 PM) : 

Jack sort of reminds me of Humphrey Bogart, who was also a fine dresser.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:55 AM) : 

is anybody making shoes like Claire's these days? they're lovely.
*sP

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:05 AM) : 

Love love love the white gloves and shoes tying brother and sister together. Grandma Claire is gorgeous and looks absolutely impeccable and James is also extremely elegant. Fantastic picture- I really love this one!

 

Anonymous nainai said ... (2:29 PM) : 

yes. we do love the white shoes!
Can not believe that you can always see the things others won't normally notice. but when you actually point out it, i always feel like yeah, why dont i notice that?
love your wee comments!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:03 PM) : 

Dear Janet,

What a treasure, this photo.

This kind of elegance is gone from the world. And the elegance is just the outer form of what was.
All that's left is a kind of longing…

 

Blogger Yanti and Richard said ... (12:39 PM) : 

Couples like this upstage almost everything we see out on the streets nowadays. I wonder if they decided to match his shoes with her gloves?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:56 PM) : 

This is the kind of image that makes you ache with nostaligia, and invites Vera Lynn to come bursting into your mind.

In one of the closets in my mother's house are my grandmother's coats, perfectly preserved against the ravages of time. This photograph has inspired me as how to work them into my own wardrobe.

So thank you. This is so beautiful.

 

Blogger célia silva said ... (6:04 PM) : 

wowowow. your grandmother was verryyyy beautifull, and stylish =)


http://sapatosnoar.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:51 AM) : 

The male looks a lot like Brad Pitt.

 

Anonymous Lyn Rosenthal said ... (1:15 PM) : 

I ADORE vintage pictures. The fashions back then were truly their own. Your grandmother looks like a very beautiful and well-pieced-together woman...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:15 PM) : 

I take inspiration from the elegant ladies from these periods. I think the focus on fashion today is about being edgy and a little out there, but I think the simple, refined, ladylike elegance is just exquisite and an unbeatable look. I'm sure many will disagree though.

 

Blogger Kim said ... (8:39 PM) : 

I want all of us to dress and look this glamorous every day like they did back then!
Love your blog! So classy!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:51 AM) : 

Such a great couple.
http://wofgtg.blogspot.com.
Pleas do not remove.

 

Blogger zincink said ... (4:58 PM) : 

My grandmother is 88 and I love to hear the fashion stories and outrage over her being the first to wear "slacks". I have all the photos as well. It sure does take a long time to scan though..

Your Grandmother looks great with the polka dots. Serene photograph, very nice.

 

Blogger Teresa @ good-grace said ... (1:52 PM) : 

Oh, I love this image -- the contrast of her white gloves and her brothers white shoes. And his 3 pc suit.... her hat ... his hat, removed for the photo as any gentleman might do in that era. Lovely. Thank you for sharing.

 

Blogger Sunny Side-Up said ... (10:47 PM) : 

Classic look.

I wish women still dressed so gallantly and modestly today.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting