This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Old World Retail, Florence

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

On the Street....Old World Retail, Florence

When I walked by this shop in the blazing, late-afternoon sun of Florence, I thought "why does this seem so romantic to me?" I realized that it looks so different to my eyes because, as Americans, we would never see a retailer cover up the merchandise.

We would put some ugly orange gel in the window before we ever covered up the product.

I know it is such a cliche, but it is refreshing to see some things still done the old fashion way, even though I'm sure this place isn't air conditioned, which is not refreshing at all.

Comments on "On the Street....Old World Retail, Florence"

 

Blogger French Basketeer.com said ... (5:02 PM) : 

"Old World" is indeed so refreshing!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:17 PM) : 

Where I live there are a few boutiques that have blinds in the window that they always put down during the afternoon.

 

Anonymous The Photodiarist said ... (5:18 PM) : 

It may be refreshing, but it's not consumer friendly - but that's I suppose why you find it refreshing:-)

 

Blogger Román Iglesias said ... (5:38 PM) : 

in Spain happen the same...
hate this ugly orange paper lol


http://coolneeded.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Sarah Dee said ... (5:45 PM) : 

beautiful!!!

Sarah
theantiquepearl.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:45 PM) : 

It is all about fabric. That's why I think you find it 'romantic'. It reminds me of the special embroidered square of fabric my mother uses to cover her apple strudels! It's practical yet simple and elegant as well as being respectful of what has been crafted for purchase.

 

Anonymous Dana said ... (5:50 PM) : 

I also prefer the old fashioned way most times.

 

Anonymous jayar moten said ... (6:05 PM) : 

It does have this nostalgic romantic scene type of feel to it. Sort of like it is some noir film love scene back when people referred to women as damsels.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:27 PM) : 

Cute. I love tiny retail shops.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:27 PM) : 

There is an ice cream palor by me that still does this on summer afternoons. in NEW JERSEY!

 

Blogger Peachy said ... (6:44 PM) : 

It's so sweet. And also, white should, in theory, reflect at least some of the heat :-s

 

Blogger ITSOLA said ... (7:03 PM) : 

I think more stores should look like that. It gives a sense of mystery and it would make other more curious of what's inside!



http://itsola.blogspot.com/
http://shopitsola.com/

 

Anonymous Lee Oliveira said ... (7:32 PM) : 

Love Florence. Some of the shops there are so wonderful.

LOx

 

Anonymous Michelle said ... (7:50 PM) : 

I love the feel of this picture =}.

 

Blogger Alexandria Daniels said ... (8:20 PM) : 

That is refreshing and classy! :)

 

Anonymous sanmiguelense said ... (8:58 PM) : 

More than anything it is so Fiorentino! Bella!

 

Blogger The Original Swedish Blonde! said ... (8:59 PM) : 

Makes me think of old Hollywood movies... :)

Lovely picture and writing Mr.

 

Blogger d said ... (9:27 PM) : 

We do that in Argentina as well
:)

 

Blogger Cazenove Agricole said ... (9:40 PM) : 

Might be a fabric shop...

 

Blogger thwany said ... (10:19 PM) : 

if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

 

Blogger lu said ... (10:26 PM) : 

i agree, so romantic! and probably hot as hell ;)

 

Anonymous John Wesley said ... (11:13 PM) : 

Love the shop, love the photo, and love the truth in Sart's every single word.

Black edging around drapes is so damn chic!

--JW

 

Blogger Camerin said ... (12:09 AM) : 

So true!
I'd be so curious as to know what's inside. That's the technique; mystery is alluring.

 

Anonymous James Campbell Taylor said ... (12:42 AM) : 

I lived in Florence for years without A/C -- now I'm subjected to it all day long. At the end of the day it's a relief to leave the office and walk out into the warm wet evening air.

I'd personally be very happy to live without air-conditioning: the constant temperature changes do terrible things to your skin. I think a lot of Americans are so used to A/C they think they can't live without it. There's no substitute for the cool breeze of an open window, and nothing wrong with a little sweat.

Love the blog.

 

Blogger L.L said ... (1:28 AM) : 

It looks cute, but I admit that I wouldn't go in the shop without being able to know what the store was selling..

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:00 AM) : 

Very cute and authentic...

http://valentineavoh.blogspot.com/
-the diary of a fashion stylist-

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:35 AM) : 

i think that in italy we can mix practical and chic in a very unique way...this shoot is the practical chic demonstration!
Donata

 

Anonymous Alex said ... (3:32 AM) : 

Am I totally off base if I say The Sartorialist has done this before, posted a photo of a store where the merchandise is covered? I seem to remember that the other photo was in color, and that the fabric was hanging on the inside of the windows?

@Cazenove Agricole: It seems to be a shoe store.

 

Anonymous Liza Ramli said ... (3:48 AM) : 

I'm intrigued by the name 'Tip Tap' and would take a peek. Alsolove the way it's vertical on the narrower side and so well embroidered or stenciled. You can tell this is not make shift but just the way they deal with the sun. Charming!

 

Blogger Antonio_Libero said ... (4:25 AM) : 

Here in Italy is often used to put these protective curtains on the windows.. i like black/white photo!

http://desertodinotte.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger M said ... (4:35 AM) : 

I mean it LOOKS really refreshing.
and good.
thumbs up for this
and thumbs up for you for recognizing and blogging this.

 

Blogger davidikus said ... (4:54 AM) : 

It is tempting to see this as old fashioned but in many parts of this world, this is just common practice, if not recent practice. I remember that someone in Singapore started to do it in his (food) shop when I was there and everyone in the vicinity followed. In the US, I have also seen shop windows cover with gigantic posters of the items on sale. Arguably, it was usually during sales, to free up the space used to display items in the window.

In any case, this brand is rather new, if I am not mistaken, so it's not really an old-fashioned habit.

http://davidikus.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger RahaAzad said ... (5:21 AM) : 

I saw this bag and I couldn't stop thinking about all your photos with a bike in them:)
http://www.etsy.com/listing/50301495/new-la-pomme-dark-yellow-french

 

Blogger STREETFSN said ... (5:25 AM) : 

beautifulfulfulufl!
love this picture :D

http://streetfsn.com

 

Blogger nyc/caribbean ragazza said ... (5:39 AM) : 

gorgeous shot.

It's so bloody hot in Italy right now. I don't blame the store for covering up their windows.

I adore the fabric. It makes me more curious about the store than a orange gel would.

 

Anonymous Me. said ... (6:05 AM) : 

I wouldn't have a care for the heat- All part of the 'old world' atmosphere I think.

http://letterssealedwithwax.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:16 AM) : 

It's funny it's like the new D&G's publicity campaign atmosphere.

 

Anonymous Bec said ... (6:31 AM) : 

I really love the commentary you have made on the last few photos. It really brings out the moment of the photo

 

Anonymous l'habitué said ... (6:45 AM) : 

I love that someone still notices these beautiful things, it's such a shame that this type of details are disappearing. Thanks for remembering them.

http://lhabitue.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Maria said ... (7:41 AM) : 

it's so cute, more shops in the western world should be like this. x

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:32 AM) : 

Thank you...Just lovely...makes me want to move there!...ty...L

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:03 AM) : 

This is so charming - I so like to think their inside having an Italian Siesta. I also love the ducks out front of the shop.

Becca

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:49 AM) : 

I love the name embroidered in different ways on each sheet, with the black border. Seems to be a shoe store, called appropriately tip tap. Old fashioned is missing in the world where everything is for convenience and cost effectiveness. It can be horrible.

 

Anonymous Jenn Kelly said ... (11:32 AM) : 

It makes one want to go in there, so desperately, to see what treasures are inside.

 

Anonymous Laurent said ... (12:06 PM) : 

AH! European flair! Simple, practical solutions that enhance.

 

Anonymous a french girl said ... (12:10 PM) : 

For me, covering up the merchandise means the retailer cares about it and, by the way, about the customer too. That's very delicate.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:56 PM) : 

to me this reminds me of how Europeans treat thier work place like their home.

Like for example the shopowner here is sending a polite message that it is bloody hot and since he has to be there ALL day, he is seeking some reliefe behind these BIANCO sheets....but still open for business....so c'mon on in.

 

Blogger Juan Manuel Trejo Sánchez said ... (1:16 PM) : 

Sart, did you walk into the store?

 

Blogger Lin said ... (2:23 AM) : 

Wonderful photo, and I agree very romantic. The little detail my eyes went to automatically before I noticed the windows were covered though were the ducks! Love those ducks, what a nice little addition down there!

 

Blogger AlexandraPearl said ... (4:01 AM) : 

It makes you want to go into the shop to see what they sell... very mysterious.

Alex
http://thequietmelbournite-alexandrapearl.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger indigo warrior said ... (1:23 PM) : 

In this visual age, it's the ages-old thing. What we don't see is what draws us in. The mysterious makes us curious. (c:

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:49 AM) : 

on a note of pure practicality, hanging curtains outside the window is much more effective in keeping the heat of the sun out... so it's not only lovely design, but also helps cool the shop.

 

Anonymous dana said ... (7:03 AM) : 

is that embroidery on the sheets?
imagine: someone must have measured the windows, chosen the right fabric...haute couture for windows. if that is not romantic, what is?

 

Blogger bushbaby said ... (10:18 AM) : 

Isn't this to do with some kind of allure ... covering something can make it more intriguing ... would love to see the uncovered ...
Hxx

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:15 PM) : 

Italian stores are always deceptive - the exterior gives but a hint of inside.

 

Blogger Carolina said ... (5:42 PM) : 

I know so well this place...
When I was a child, my mother is used to buy my little shoes there...

 

Anonymous revamp said ... (5:26 PM) : 

I also like this. The thing that makes it appealing to me is that the fabric is not tacky and its white! which makes it look chic

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting