This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

At Dries Van Noten

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

At Dries Van Noten

The take away from this show? Steal your Dad's clothes, all your dad's clothes.

His shirts, his jeans, his sportcoats are all fair game now.

The great thing about this show and this look is that you don't have to wait till next Spring to dress like this. Layering oversized shirts, knits and sportcoats in Fall weights and textures can be a new and super cheap way to update your wardrobe.




Comments on "At Dries Van Noten"

 

Blogger Rachael said ... (4:50 PM) : 

So true...I really love this look, men's attire looks so fierce on women!

www.rachaeldiab.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Kathleen said ... (4:53 PM) : 

For the past week, as you've been photographing the shows, the name issey miyake keeps coming to my mind. I remember seeing his clothes for the first time in the early 80's and thinking how special this look is.
I am both seeing and feeling a trend here, something 80's, but all the same very different. I love the look of these clothes. Fabulous!

 

Blogger Grace Escudero - The Afeminada said ... (4:55 PM) : 

It looks interesting, but I still don't think I can work the whole oversize thing.

www.theafeminada.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Chris Wolfgang said ... (4:55 PM) : 

Urgh. Looks frumpy, especially when everything in the outfit is oversized. Don't think I can dig it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:06 PM) : 

Love DVN's collection, but the "Talking Heads" jackets...too huge in that the model's torso is swimming in them. It's still nice to see a fitted jacket on women, albeit a slightly loser cut and a more relaxed silhouette (third model from the top). The same goes for men. Other than that, this collection is strong, yet clean and relaxed.

 

Anonymous simone leblanc said ... (5:07 PM) : 

I love it! The fist image with the purple shoes and coat is lovely.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:10 PM) : 

no thanks :)

 

Blogger Sing of Singature Style said ... (5:13 PM) : 

I'm not a fan of this collection. I think a woman's body should be celebrated and not hidden with oversize clothing. I think structure is important and these clothes just hang and do nothing for the body of a woman.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:20 PM) : 

Really? You can legitimately wear men's clothing? Or does this translate from the runway only in menswear-inspired clothing?

 

Blogger JustNorman said ... (5:51 PM) : 

I can't lie, the ladies look good.

JUSTNORMAN
JUSTNORMAN

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (5:52 PM) : 

I adore these looks! You are right, steal from your dad's closet! x

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Anonymous greendress said ... (5:53 PM) : 

this is the first time i have ever seen those types of platform, closed toe heels and they look gorgeous instead of trashy. why? because the designer balanced that "sexy", glamorous heel with oversized clothing.

there is balance. everything isn't large, frumpy or masculine. the equilibrium of masculine - feminine combined with the sumptuous fabrics make this collection a home-run.

 

Anonymous Amanda - Lace and Tea said ... (5:55 PM) : 

I actually really like this collection. The coats and shoes are absolutely gorgeous.

 

Blogger SabinePsynopsis said ... (6:04 PM) : 

Love this & am so glad I just stocked up on oversized 2nd hand blazers!

 

Blogger Gene said ... (6:06 PM) : 

A breathe of fresh air for Mr. van Noten. It's nice to see something a bit different, a bit gray and with my neutral tones. The flower print all add a slight touch of femininity to the over sized men's style collection. Well done!

http://incognito89.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous marcel said ... (6:14 PM) : 

tough Dries is one my favorites in wearability, i absolutely DETEST the boxi jacket from 90ies..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:21 PM) : 

I love men's attire on women. But the models are far too thin to look good in it.

 

Blogger Diogo Torres said ... (6:39 PM) : 

Boyfriend jacket - a little bit outdated.

Really like the satin trousers though.

http://fabulouslifeofdiogotorres.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Tiffany's Small World said ... (6:48 PM) : 

loveing all the pieces


http://tiffanyssmallworld.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Brigadeiro said ... (6:56 PM) : 

DVN is pure genius, that is why he is my favourite designer! Love these looks, am sure Garance does too...extra incentive to borrow your clothes?

 

Blogger Lily Alvarez Rabadan said ... (7:03 PM) : 

I don't like this collection, is too XXL size.
It looks not like a woman's clothing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:33 PM) : 

I think there is a certain point where baggy is just too baggy. But Dries Van Noten has done a good job. I especially love the floral print.

http://red-soledfashionista.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous mademoiselle sophie said ... (8:08 PM) : 

oh yes, oh yes.
rocking the androgynous style any day. loving the idea that i'm almost dressing like a stylish man would. almost. it's all in the detail then, or in the groove.

 

Blogger Ronisha said ... (8:35 PM) : 

I love thee silk pants ;))

http://vannoybfashion-ronisha119.blogspot.com

xoxoxo

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:39 PM) : 

Love the shoes!

 

Blogger Francielle Santo said ... (8:44 PM) : 

you are always amazing!!!

 

Blogger FBJ said ... (9:13 PM) : 

oversized fall attire cannot wait for the weather to cool down so I can get my layering on!
xoxo
jO
http://www.fashionbyjo.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Sterling said ... (9:59 PM) : 

I like some of these, but I think the oversized coats are a generally a misstep.

 

Blogger Notes From ABroad said ... (10:01 PM) : 

One of my all time favorite designers !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:03 PM) : 

Thanks for the tip but if this is "updating" my wardrobe, I'm not interested. Shapeless, oversized masculine clothes are neither flattering nor attractive on women.

 

Blogger lisamarie said ... (10:30 PM) : 

It's interesting to read the mixed comments, as I too have mixed feelings about this line. I tend to like androgynous and over-sized clothing, but perhaps this is a bit too much? It seems to me that the recent photos of outfits with a similar idea on the street (I'm thinking of 2 from Milan - the trousers/white tea combo and the brown blazer over the striped shirt) do not take it nearly as far.

How far can a woman go before she just looks sloppy?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:45 PM) : 

always jealous of a gal who can wear the menswear look by shopping in the mens' dept or bf/ dad/ husband's closet....Lauren Hutton comes to mind as a classic practitioner. But when your 5'2" and tiny.....not such a good idea! The proportions are all off and it looks...not chic, but just like you're wearing someone else's clothes. Or you're a newsboy in a costume drama.....Any advise , Scott, for petites to rock the menswear look?
PS_ adore Dries!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:15 PM) : 

I'll be interested to see how these clothes look on real women with bosoms and hips, rather than board-flat, rail thin models. Dries does keep things interesting, doesn't he?

 

Blogger She Wore It Well said ... (11:54 PM) : 

an updated version of the balmain man dressing look. love it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:09 AM) : 

I love mens clothes especially dress shirts, but then again I dont look like they swallow me and I like to belt them which helps.

 

Blogger ashley said ... (12:33 AM) : 

LOVE IT! i've been stealing my dad's clothes for years!

 

Blogger Fasshionxenophile said ... (1:26 AM) : 

can't really tell your review is good or bad...or just being sarcastic .haha..

 

Blogger Liz S said ... (1:26 AM) : 

Some can work it, some can't--this is difficult to do well even thought you would think it should be easy --being taller helps, but so does a non conformist attitude and the right grooming and accessories. Good on those that can carry it off as I do like it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:45 AM) : 

I am officially in love with that blouse and sheer trousers combination!

Vikki

http://stylometre.blogspot.com

 

Blogger thwany said ... (4:04 AM) : 

i wonder if a man could pull off an over-sized jacket like the first pic.

 

Blogger Contact said ... (4:07 AM) : 

One of the good surprise of this fashion week! I completely love the statement chose by DVN. Sexy, casual and simple to get at home...I Told my man to forget to wear his shirts, they're mine now;)

 

Blogger Sandy said ... (4:55 AM) : 

feminine yet masculine... beautiful!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:05 AM) : 

The kind of boyish looks with lovely details here and there that I've been searching for. xxx


http://cestlamademoiselle.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger the outfit diaries said ... (6:01 AM) : 

sometimes I think I only like dries van noten because he's from belgium because I really don't see how this collection is wearable.

 

Anonymous Volga said ... (7:41 AM) : 

I love the looks a lot. And also it fits my style which is a bit boyish. But would this collenction fit a somewhat short woman as I am? I am afraid to look funny.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:42 AM) : 

I love this look. Airy shirts and masculine jackets and straight baggy pants have always appealed to me, but let's be honest. If you aren't tall and thinnish, you're going to look awful.

 

Anonymous Foteini said ... (8:51 AM) : 

I don't find this kind of clothes neither feminine nor flattering!..
I loved Jil Sander dresses though!AND the purple Fendi outfit!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:08 AM) : 

Ahah I agree, I always wore my dad's shirt because they're so comfy and...can be used as a dress.

 

Anonymous mabelmabel said ... (10:57 AM) : 

"Flattering" is beside the point for some of us. I, for one, don't mind hiding my body in the clothes, for I feel that the clothes are an extension of my body.

 

Blogger Pearl Westwood said ... (11:07 AM) : 

I like the ideas presented in this collection, but I don't actually like the collection itself. There were some interesting details such as the denim cuffs and the faded out floral print but it just doesn't excite me, which is disapointing as Dries is one of my all time favourite designers. That said your photos do the collection much more justace than the standard end of runway shots on style.com etc. Really they should employ you!

 

Anonymous Megan said ... (11:55 AM) : 

OMG!! i LOVE the purple and orange pump cum platform shoes! They r awsome-looking!!! I'm in love!!!!

 

Blogger Mary Beth said ... (12:03 PM) : 

I love the silky pants...it's takes a certain bravado to wear those vs. the standard pair of denim. These silky pants make me want to find some fabric, paint up a fluorescent flower or two and sew up a pair of pants!

I app-solutely ♥
my ✄ Fabric U ✄
iPhone app!
http://tinyurl.com/242bua9

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:09 PM) : 

I love everything about this idea...however...

I challenge you to find an image of a person (preferably female) that can pull this look off, that is not tall and thin...I am 5'2" and curvy and I would love to just raid my dad's closet, however I would end up looking like a hobo :)

 

Anonymous jimjims said ... (12:18 PM) : 

great cross pollination of gender styles and baggy.

awesome!

http://jimjims.net

 

Anonymous IMEANWHAT?!? said ... (12:43 PM) : 

I'm not even sure, what to say. It looks like the whole huge jacket swallowed her up. But the painted-look flowers are kind of cool.
www.imeanwhat.com for many, many images from Milan, Paris Fashion weeks going on now!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:51 PM) : 

The look at the top is fabulous.

Like Kathleen mentioned above, something 80's, but better.

The model is stunning too.

 

Blogger Frozen Fashion said ... (1:49 PM) : 

Frist look, first thought - This is really stylish, I can easily add this look to my wardrobe.

Then the second thought- Could I really wear something that looked to big on me?


Still this is great, time will tell if I adopt it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:00 PM) : 

Beautiful collection!! those colors...amazing palette!..obvioussy only for very elegant people...those oversize jackets will be amazing in a truly stylish girl....i encourage all the girls to take their boyfriend´s jackets and try them on....they will be surprise by the effect!!!

 

Blogger Tobey said ... (2:19 PM) : 

The whole oversize thing still works for me.

 

Blogger mima said ... (3:04 PM) : 

love love love!!

 

Anonymous Faby said ... (3:44 PM) : 

Such an amazing show, I'm sooo loving Paris Fashion Week!!

 

Anonymous Faby said ... (3:45 PM) : 

Such an amazing show, I'm sooo loving Paris Fashion Week!!!

 

Anonymous fashionsdirtylaundry said ... (3:49 PM) : 

Your runway photos are really spectacular! <3 Dries!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:05 PM) : 

First picture; I LOVE THE SHOES! <3

 

Blogger Jasmin said ... (10:21 PM) : 

love it!!

http://unefilleunreve.blogspot.com

 

Blogger ernest said ... (10:57 PM) : 

Love Dries' creations - always have, always will!!

 

Blogger Ana Polar said ... (7:32 AM) : 

Love the blazers!

http://sinmanolos.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Ines said ... (12:32 PM) : 

horrible.

even more on these super skinny models who are supposed to look bored and unhealthy.
the shoes can not save the rest of the look.

 

Blogger GWOD said ... (1:48 PM) : 

My god the print quality on those silky bottoms looks phenomenal!- can't wait to check it out in store.

 

Anonymous Annelie said ... (3:42 PM) : 

so effortless!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:02 PM) : 

I have worn menswear for years. Big jackets/coats...white cotton shirts? The best!

Love the look in the first pic and the silky pants later on...I may like menswear but I also love swishy fabrics!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:52 PM) : 

To me, the model in the 5th shot looks huge. The MODEL looks big. Imagine that on the average-sized women who could afford these clothes.

 

Anonymous RubyC said ... (12:09 AM) : 

My favourite were the lapis shoes from the first photograph. - R

 

Blogger Lena Webb said ... (10:37 AM) : 

David Byrne worked this look!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting