This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Strappy Sandals, New York

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, July 21, 2011

On the Street....Strappy Sandals, New York

Comments on "On the Street....Strappy Sandals, New York"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:35 PM) : 

me encantan las sandalias y el estilazo que tiene el conjunto.

 

Anonymous klara kolcavova said ... (4:40 PM) : 

just love this, so cool, efortless...
have nice day, best regards from rainy prague

 

Blogger SabinePsynopsis said ... (4:40 PM) : 

They're perfect. Wonder if I could make some myself...

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:41 PM) : 

wow i love these sandals! suit him perfectly

http://myheadandwardrobe.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:41 PM) : 

I am always in favour of a nice melange of two styles - a formal, chich one and bits of casual wear. But this i dislike - it soesn't have to look shabby.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:44 PM) : 

I love how his outfit gets more formal as you look up. It starts with the sandals that look primarily made of rope, then the tatered, frayed jean shorts, then a rather nice by comparison jacket an undershirt.
Great look to him overall, though it makes you wonder how comfortable those sandals are...

 

Blogger Všivavá Čivava said ... (4:47 PM) : 

Loving the whole ensemble. Stylish!

 

Anonymous The Styley said ... (4:51 PM) : 

Wow, he is totally rocking those!

 

Blogger TommasoAspetta said ... (4:52 PM) : 

Are you sure this is NYC? Sounds a lot like Milan to me...

 

Blogger D + J's Blog said ... (4:53 PM) : 

love his sandals

helloshopaholic.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:58 PM) : 

I am not loving this look, b/c, for me at least, there's a problem with proportion. Lose the bulky jacket, and I think we're in business.

 

Blogger Oh my Dior! said ... (5:00 PM) : 

his sandals are really cool!

http://www.ohmydior.org/

 

Blogger Sarah Justine said ... (5:04 PM) : 

I totally need to DIY those sandals now...

www.thegirlinthecheckscarf.com

 

Blogger Jennie Nguyen said ... (5:06 PM) : 

nice and cool!

x http://www.jnsoo.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger álex said ... (5:06 PM) : 

Gotta have those sandals! Does anyone know where can I buy them?

 

Anonymous mitchell said ... (5:10 PM) : 

im not a fan of sandals in general but this is just not okay

 

Blogger so, dress me said ... (5:13 PM) : 

they look like the sandals made from tires that a lot of barefoot runners opt for.

 

Blogger Transtastic Man said ... (5:13 PM) : 

I don't think I could be so bold. Plus I don't have the ankles.

 

Blogger TheMen'sSide said ... (5:14 PM) : 

Amazing sandals!

 

Blogger Marcel Da Chump said ... (5:15 PM) : 

This gladiator could'a been a contender,

had he gone with the all-white ensemble.

And belt matching straps.

 

Blogger two four eight one nine said ... (5:16 PM) : 

Nice, but it sure looks uncomfortable though. I can not fathom walking aroung NYC in those...

Marc
twofoureightonenine..

 

Anonymous bruceglen said ... (5:17 PM) : 

Have always loved these sandals...Gaultier, I think. Saw one other guy on the street with 'em. Assumed he was a model and got them from the runway show. Not sure if I could pull them off tho.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:29 PM) : 

Totally looks like Milan to me... you sure that's NY?

Gaia

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:36 PM) : 

I've always had doubts about sandals in the city. There's just too much dirt, feces, and glass on the ground.

As for this guy's outfit, it's a raggedy mess.

 

Blogger la-de-marbella said ... (5:36 PM) : 

I only like the sandals.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:46 PM) : 

Whoever wears a blazer in 100 degrees is not cool (pun intended).

 

Anonymous Alessandro said ... (5:56 PM) : 

Just a 'tad', a whole lot of tad, too feminine - not to mention ridiculous; might as well go barefoot.

 

Blogger SAMANTHA said ... (5:56 PM) : 

damn these are awesome! i love how he down graded the hippie vibe a bit with the rest of the outfit.. so good though!


www.dragonnfruit.com

 

Blogger Liz S said ... (6:04 PM) : 

Yeah, very cool look there but I can't help but think how uncomfortable those rope sandals are once you get a stride up. BTDT.

 

Blogger Elspeth said ... (6:13 PM) : 

He's totally rockin' the jorts.

http://elspeth-tostayortogo.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:22 PM) : 

ridiculous

 

Blogger Em said ... (6:25 PM) : 

So cool, love the rope straps

http://www.fashionhacks.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Erik said ... (6:30 PM) : 

Is that...is that an oriental dragon on his jacket?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:17 PM) : 

I really like the look but the sandals lookd like a hassle to put on. Anyway with my peasant feet I prefer something closed.

 

Blogger Annie Chang said ... (7:31 PM) : 

adore the sandals!

Bises,
monkeyshines
http://monkeyshines-monkeyshines.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:38 PM) : 

Not even Jesus would wear those sandals.

 

Anonymous shervinsworld said ... (7:59 PM) : 

FIRE FIGHTER!! love this man!

www.shervinsworld.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:45 PM) : 

These sandals are awful. The dragon on the jacket is ridiculous. The jorts are the the least terrible thing about this picture but still terrible.

 

Blogger Fernanda T. said ... (8:55 PM) : 

Up \o/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:32 PM) : 

Btw, great photo! The monochromatic figure with those pops of color from the bikes--nice.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:39 PM) : 

I am just confused. Did he get those sandals off the set of a Ben Hur movie? Or maybe he time traveled back to ancient Greece and mugged a plebian for his shoes. Either way, they look kinda' cool in the same sense that wearing a bear skin tied around your shoulders to keep warm looks cool, but is completely uncomfortable and impractical. On the other hand, given how many times I have suffered in high heels in the name of fashion, maybe it's about time men starting wearing really uncomfortable shoes...

 

Anonymous AnonymousJK said ... (11:05 PM) : 

Love the sandals, love the outfit, but just not together - sorry!

 

Blogger medullasnick said ... (11:12 PM) : 

loooooooooooooooooooove the sandals!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:22 AM) : 

Very ancient Roman.

 

Anonymous Ladybird said ... (12:59 AM) : 

I just don't understand how anyone can find such flat sandals comfortable, they kill my achilles tendon!

Buying summer sandals is a nightmare I find.

I will be in DC soon and will need a basic pair of black sandals. They need to be stylish and have a low heel - any recommendations people?

Thanks in advance!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:21 AM) : 

that's very my style. SHORTS and SANDALS are must in my routines.
Esp. he is wearing something that I really crave for so long time. those great strappy gladiator sandals!

oh oh. guys, check my design here. I am just amateur.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1674923404037.2096420.1566020610&type=1

 

Blogger Lisa Petrarca said ... (1:43 AM) : 

I don't care for the sandals on a guy.

Wanted to let you know that BABY ARIELLA is still hanging on! We're doing a fundraiser for her-stop by & check it out Scott.

http://lisapetrarca.blogspot.com/2011/07/baby-ariella-faithhopecharity.html

 

Blogger Project Curve said ... (1:47 AM) : 

i quiet like the flats..but i am not convinced with the too casual bottom half and too formal upper half.


http://flysongbird.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/debi_songbird

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:00 AM) : 

it's a little too intentional especially with the jacket and long sleeve shirt but, any man who would dane to put these on without a joke in heart gets credit for coming out of the box. (just hope he had his man-pedicure first)

*sP

 

Blogger Amy Creyer said ... (2:33 AM) : 

What is that design on his blazer? Is that embroidery?

http://www.chicagostreetstyle.com/

 

Blogger CHIARA said ... (2:59 AM) : 

are you sure is it >New York and not >Milan??

 

Anonymous mon sac by me said ... (3:18 AM) : 

casual ! cool !!

http://monsacbyme.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:44 AM) : 

NY? It looks like Milan... :)))

Are those sandals from the last collection by Dolce&Gabbana?
love 'em!

MonsieurM

 

Blogger Robin said ... (4:40 AM) : 

The sandals are exceptional - Is it me or could he do with a better fitted pair of shorts??

 

Blogger Beatrice B. said ... (5:07 AM) : 

the sandals are just great!!! I wish I could wear some but Berlin is drowning these days :(

www.seitenstrasse.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:48 AM) : 

I hate those sandals... But I love that he's wearing them! It's liberating to see someone putting together an outfit according to his/hers mood of the day, rather than anxiously please someone elses eyes. Personality is always fashionable!

 

Anonymous Sarah said ... (6:25 AM) : 

It's a no from me.

 

Anonymous Susu Paris Chic said ... (6:47 AM) : 

Is it me you're calling, sweets?

 

Anonymous Rita RS said ... (7:15 AM) : 

OMG soo fashionable, lovesit!
So much love <3
xx,
R.

http://www.theteenageroyalty.blogspot.com

 

Blogger David said ... (7:31 AM) : 

EASY!

 

Anonymous Jelanie said ... (7:35 AM) : 

Wow these sandals are just made from rope!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:39 AM) : 

interesting to see how many of your subjects have cell phones or other electronic gadgets in their hands...

 

Anonymous Marcela said ... (8:00 AM) : 

It takes a really cool and confident guy to pull off a look like that.
I love it.

 

Anonymous Upholstery Cleaning said ... (8:32 AM) : 

I don't like them! Really! Sorry!

 

Anonymous Maryanne said ... (10:14 AM) : 

There was a shoe manufacturer in the 80's called Unisa..who made sandals for women in a similar vein as these.
Unisa added beads to theirs.
Kind of reminiscent..but these have the look of homemade.
I think the fact that there is something more suitable for a woman is what is off-putting about them on a gent.

 

Anonymous Gabriel said ... (10:17 AM) : 

To me, shorts with a blazer in men is the equivalent to women's sleeveless turtlenecks (which I no longer see any of, thank God): it defeats the purpose of what you're wearing, since form doesn't follow function.

In other words, wouldn't it be sensible to think you are wearing a blazer because the weather calls for that type of layering? Then why are you also wearing shorts and no socks? Does that mean your arms and torso get chilly but your legs don't?

Somebody please explain to me the thinking (and the appeal) behind this look, because apparently I'm not smart enough to understand it.

 

Anonymous Red Red said ... (10:45 AM) : 

Wouldn't leave the house in those sandals.

 

Anonymous Michael said ... (10:59 AM) : 

I could not pull off those sandals without feeling a tad self-conscious. more power to him.

 

Blogger Vanessa said ... (11:26 AM) : 

Wow, strappy man sandals... I'm impressed. This looks a tad like Stanley Tucci!!

 

Anonymous ccmcj said ... (11:42 AM) : 

I can't say that I approve. I think the styles are too far apart to be cohesive.

 

Blogger Agni said ... (11:53 AM) : 

This outfit doesn't look cool, it only look funny.

 

Blogger anthony said ... (12:43 PM) : 

That's engagingly humorous but it's also pretty weird.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:58 PM) : 

I love this entire look. Chic and simple- thumbs up for the stylish men- I have sandals similar to his in black leather wrap around my ankle- I get so many compliments when I wear them. It's 107 today in New York and I have them on......

 

Anonymous FeeFee said ... (3:42 PM) : 

He looks silly.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:49 PM) : 

He looks like he picked up random stuff from his closet. Then he wore his wife's sandals by mistake. He's just ridiculous.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:00 PM) : 

Funny thing is, he looks like Nigel in Devil wears Prada. Since he is a fictional character, I think those shabby sandals should do the same. Stay in fiction.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:50 PM) : 

I don't mind strappy sandals for men but this pair is far far too feminine to pull off.

 

Anonymous LIZPR said ... (6:06 PM) : 

This outfit does not work at all! It's far too top heavy and bottom light. I'm surprised how many people fawned over this look ... I bet if a woman wore the equivalent outfit, she'd be crucified. Speaking of which, not digging the Jesus sandals. They just look weird.

If he wore long jeans and dark brown leather sandals, then he'd be looking sweet.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:45 PM) : 

This place looks more like Milan rather than New York...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:48 PM) : 

the shorts and the jewelry on the jacket are awful. with a nice pair of jeans or less baggy shorts this could look good.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:15 AM) : 

ey Scott what camer do you use? nikon, canon…? an what model ? Thanks

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:25 AM) : 

I love the sandals - incredibly sexy and so few men take risks with their footwear!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:57 AM) : 

Si, pronto chi parla? mamma... mamma... sono a piedi, pronto mamma mia...

 

Anonymous antique engagement rings said ... (6:14 AM) : 

I just adore the sandals... such a look!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:59 AM) : 

he looks like the new time version of a roman senator or philosopher. it looks awkward but pretty cool also.

 

Anonymous Bohemian Design said ... (12:40 PM) : 

The sandals are fun!

theBohmerian.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:24 PM) : 

that's Milan, not New York!

 

Anonymous SEA-BASS said ... (5:09 AM) : 

Shants are the SHIET!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:33 AM) : 

Winter on top, summer on the bottom.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:45 PM) : 

H a t e sandals on men, any kind/style.

Fellas I don't wanna tilt my head down when walking and accidentally see your wrecked feet.

I just want to see women with manicured feet in sandals.

If you're a guy, save 'em for the beach!

 

Blogger Lou said ... (3:07 PM) : 

@ Gabriel. I can understand your confusion, but this look is probably not the result of logic calculation, but of mood, temperament and passion - the salamander on his jacket seems to point in that direction as well. That doesn't mean it isn't well thought out though! I think he strikes an intriguing and attractive balance between masculine and feminine, formal and informal, cool and warm.

 

Blogger Martina Navrátilová said ... (4:36 PM) : 

I adore this look but still asking myslef how comfortable is it..

www.dressandheels.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:00 PM) : 

these sandals are hideous, especially on a man. And jean shorts have always been tacky in my book. One of the worst dressed people that I have ever seen on this site.

 

Blogger whiterice said ... (12:44 PM) : 

A revolutionary new breed of sandals! So fresh

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:53 PM) : 

This entire look is beyond fabulous.

And I love the pops of color throughout the photograph - electric blue, neon green, red, marigold, etc.

New York at its best.

 

Blogger Emanuel I. said ... (4:18 PM) : 

Lovelly sandals...
OMG!!!
:D

 

Anonymous Gabriel said ... (4:47 PM) : 

To Lou:

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. You present some very good (and very agreeable) points: Weather and necessity should indeed not be the only factors that determine the look of an outfit. I understand that the contrasts you mention seem to be an integral part of his sense of play, and believe me when I say I'm all for creative dressing (in fact, I'm far from conservative in my own choices), but I feel like the items that give form to this outfit are too clashing and stylistically incompatible to present a cohesive visual whole.

I have to admit, he is quite daring, and he certainly has a knack for provoking divergent opinions!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:13 PM) : 

just love the combo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:57 PM) : 

I love his sandals. It's so eco-friendly.
http://daniimdoafolli.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:42 AM) : 

He is Carlo Alberto !!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:06 PM) : 

Never in 100 years, would I expect to see "Jorts" on the Sartorialist website. Here in the U.S. South, jorts are exceedingly bad form. There is no level of accessories that can make up for wearing jean shorts.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:18 PM) : 

I thinks the sandals are Dolce & Gabbana. There are great.

 

Anonymous Hassan El Sheikh said ... (7:17 PM) : 

OMG i absolutely love his jacket !!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:12 AM) : 

Men in sandals? Super models, ultra muscle men, some nice dudes it's okay! But a semi baldy middle age man wear it? NEVER TRENDY OR FASHION! Jacket it's so big to him and side view don't show real effect.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:43 AM) : 

i really don't like this look...jacket and shirt has long sleeves in contrast with the open sandals! i like the ocntrast but this is too heavy! i think he felt unconfortable...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:12 AM) : 

it seems a Milan street :)

 

Anonymous lucia said ... (6:22 AM) : 

sure about NY? I think it's Milano...

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting